My Magic System 1.2 (Mind manipulation)

Aspiring Writer

Okay, this is a long one. Sorry, it took so long, was working out all the kinks with a friend of mine. 

So this magic system has to do with the manipulation of the mind, but it isn't completely restrained to that as telekinesis is in this, and that technically isn't manipulating the mind but the mind manipulating its surroundings. Note, skills that are normal are easy to learn and all users with any skill should be expected to be able to use them; skills italicized are more advanced and will only be seen by experienced users, Skills in bold are expert and very few individuals will be seen using them. Bolded letters in skills not bolded means this is a more advanced application of that skill.

Note- Users of these abilities will have an increased mental capacity.

Telekinesis- So I had telekinesis in my previous magic system, but this one differs slightly. There is still a weight limit to what you can pick up and you cannot pick up users capable of telekinesis, but the weight limit is no longer a set amount and is connected to how much you weigh, or more accurately the mass you have. So an obese person will be able to lift much more than a starved person. Another difference is that the telekinesis is more like a muscle than the telekinesis in my space magic system. While not mention, in my previous telekinsis, if you tried picking something beyond your weight limit, you would just not be able to pick it up. In this, however, you can overexert yourself and lift more than what you are supposed to be able to, but this will cause headaches and pain and even blackouts. Another and final difference is that the strength of the user's telekinesis is connected to your emotions, and can strengthen during times of extreme emotions, giving them incredible telekinetic strength (Though I will note strong, nearly uncontainable emotions can hinder the use of other powers). If strong enough, the user can even pick up other users of telekinesis.

Telepathy- Okay, so telepathy is really broad with many different levels of expertise, and I also made it it's own little combat system, so I will be listing these down as subtopics/powers of telepathy.

• Telepathy- The obvious part of telepathy, you can communicate in other people's minds and read their immediate thoughts. Note that thoughts intended for you you hear no matter what whereas thought unintended for you will have to actively try and hear them. (Intended being someone who wants to communicate with you telepathically. This person does not need to be a telepath themselves to try and send their thoughts toward you.) There is a range to this.
  • Empathic- User can sense and manipulate other people's emotions. There is a more advanced part of this skill that you emit an influence on people's view or feelings of something is, making them view something in a way they normally wouldn't, or even taking away all emotion entirely and leaving them empty, putting them in a trance-like state. Empathic range is larger than telepathic range.
  • Mind link- So a user can link several minds together so they can communicate telepathically (therefore letting two nontelepaths communicate telepathically). This link can be formed by multiple users and each user would have to be rendered unconscious or dead before the link falls, however, it is possible to separate individuals from the link using multiple users. The Mind Link can be used to carry telepathic effects across the entire group like a Mind Wall and Illusions (See Below)
  • Mind Wall- A Mind wall is a protection telepaths can use to block unwanted telepathic effects. A Mind Wall can be overpowered by multiple users and broken, and it will take time before you can put up another. A Mind Wall can be shared over a mind link, but is weakened with every additional person and becomes easier to break. (So every user has 1 unit of the mental wall. If shared with one other person, the mental wall for both is 0.9. if shared amongst five, it becomes 0.5. User can break any wall below one by themselves, but the stronger it is, the longer it takes before it breaks.) Multiple users can share their mental wall with one person and giving that person a stronger mental wall. You need to be conscious to have a mental wall up.
  • Illusions- You can put images in other peoples' heads, making them see what you want them to see or using their own thoughts/expectations to make the illusion. You can give the illusion a life of its own by making it react with other people's expectations. These illusions do not carry mass, as they are simply constructs of the minds, but you can incite feelings to make the illusion seem more real. This will also affect the user, though they can concentrate to exclude them or other individuals from seeing or being affected by the illusion. Illusions carried through a Mind Link will stay on without your attention and will give a little control to the person wearing the illusion.
  • Sensations- You can cause people to have headaches and/or nausea. You can also make people feel certain sensations like pain (As in, you were stabbed in the gut, you can make everyone else feel like they were stabbed in the gut. This can be called upon by memories of the experience, but the intensity of the sensations depends on how clear and vivid the memory is.) Non-users can use something similar to this as a defense against telepathy by remembering something painful and then forcing the telepath to experience it.
  • Prediction- telepaths can read a person's mind and emotions and learn to predict what they will say or do before they do. This is more a skill using multiple previous abilities in a certain way. This is not always accurate.

Memory Manipulation- A user can read another person's memories by searching through their mind. They can also remove memories, which is permanent and cannot be reversed, but takes time. You can also create memories from a mixture of your own, the person's, and other memories/experiences you have from others. Note that when reading a person's memories that memories get worse over time, fading away and becoming distorted or unclear (Like actual memories.) Memories also change and may not reflect reality and cannot always be trusted. (Small example is someone remembering someone's shirt as red and green with snowflakes when they just wore a green shirt.)

User Mind ManipulationUser can manipulate their own mind to ignore sensations like pain. They can also speed up their own thoughts/mental speed, enhancing their other abilities. 

Mind Control- User can take over a person's mind and control over them. They can control them using general commands and making them execute it, gaining less control but needing less concentration, or through direct control of every movement for better control at the cost of much more concentration. Every addition person being controlled requires more concentration. (With general mind control, you can control multiple people and make them follow a command, but this will come at the cost in you can't control how that is executed, while direct control means you can control certain individuals very precisely.)

So, if you have any suggestions for additions to this (It has to be mind related), or you want to ask questions or poke holes, feel free to. I respond to every single one.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

Possible inclusions:

• Sensing minds - so not telepathic sensing of thoughts or emotions, but locating minds and their locations
  • Sensing the touch of a mind on an object, or something's relation to a person
  • Placing sensations in an area which someone who enters the area can sense, or trap
  • Multi tasking mentally

You included telekinesis. Would similar abilities, like projecting your mind or fire, also be included? Or only abilities related to thought?

38 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Sensing minds - so not telepathic sensing of thoughts or emotions, but locating minds and their locations

Oh, I actually forgot that on the list. In my head, I had that included. Good job pointing that out.

39 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Sensing the touch of a mind on an object, or something's relation to a person

So you can feel the significance of an object has for a person? That is with considering.

40 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Placing sensations in an area which someone who enters the area can sense, or trap

Hmm, I will have to see, not sure how that would fit in, at least for normal users. I can see this working for another subsect, though... nice suggestion.

41 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Multi tasking mentally

The note saying that users have increased mental capacity also includes making them more capable of multi-tasking.

43 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

You included telekinesis. Would similar abilities, like projecting your mind or fire, also be included? Or only abilities related to thought?

Hmm, what precisely are you suggesting, I don't understand.

@Aspiring Writer

Ahhh, sorry, I didn't phrase that last part well. What I mean is, as you included telekinesis, which involves using the mind to affect the physical world, would you also consider astral projection (using the mind to sense the physical world in areas where someone else might not be, so not using their senses but rather sensing through a projection of yourself), or pyrokinesis (producing flame or controlling an object's temperature around you, possibly an outgrowth of telekinetically vibrating the molecules of an object), or forming an object out of psionic energy, would those also be included as possible abilities?

1 minute ago, Ixthos said:

@Aspiring Writer

Ahhh, sorry, I didn't phrase that last part well. What I mean is, as you included telekinesis, which involves using the mind to affect the physical world, would you also consider astral projection (using the mind to sense the physical world in areas where someone else might not be, so not using their senses but rather sensing through a projection of yourself), or pyrokinesis (producing flame or controlling an object's temperature around you, possibly an outgrowth of telekinetically vibrating the molecules of an object), or forming an object out of psionic energy, would those also be included as possible abilities?

Hmm, I have other magic systems to do what pyrokinesis can do, so not that one. Same with forming objects (I believe this all falls in the next magic system I plan to post here.) and astral projection might be too similar to what souls can do and that could get confusing. Nice suggestions, though, I hadn't thought of them. Feel free to share more.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

Hmm, I have other magic systems to do what pyrokinesis can do, so not that one. Same with forming objects (I believe this all falls in the next magic system I plan to post here.) and astral projection might be too similar to what souls can do and that could get confusing. Nice suggestions, though, I hadn't thought of them. Feel free to share more.

Will do, though I'll have to do so later. I am enjoying this though - hope you have a great day!

A few other possible additions:

• For any illusion or control ability, the ability to add a time delay or real world trigger, so not just making them see something now, but adding something which could be triggered later - this doesn't have to be a weapon, this could also be a message to a friend who is about to do something dangerous, telling them not to, and preventing them from doing so
  • Dream weaving - a bit like telepathy and illusion, only for when someone is asleep, and possibly allowing multiple people to experience the dream
  • Mind upload - adding a copy of oneself to someone else's mind, or a partial copy of oneself, which can report back
  • Initiating one or more of these with someone, and then passing control to someone else who might not have abilities themselves - so placing an illusion in someone's mind and then passing control of the illusion to someone else
    • sharing power with a non telepath, so you link to them and they then direct the telepath's power at the discretion of the telepath, like letting someone next to you use the car wheel
  • Linking to other minds to increase one's own abilities or to work on a problem together - not the sharing power, this is mainly centred on the telepath
  • Broadcasting a thought telepathically, so telepathic loudspeaker
  • Hiding one's mind from another
  • Knocking someone out without them realising it

10 hours ago, Ixthos said:

For any illusion or control ability, the ability to add a time delay or real world trigger, so not just making them see something now, but adding something which could be triggered later - this doesn't have to be a weapon, this could also be a message to a friend who is about to do something dangerous, telling them not to, and preventing them from doing so

Hmm, Interesting.

Dream weaving - a bit like telepathy and illusion, only for when someone is asleep, and possibly allowing multiple people to experience the dream

I feel that falls under teleapthy.

Mind upload - adding a copy of oneself to someone else's mind, or a partial copy of oneself, which can report back

There is something like this in my universe.

Initiating one or more of these with someone, and then passing control to someone else who might not have abilities themselves - so placing an illusion in someone's mind and then passing control of the illusion to someone else

Well, the person wearing the illusion already has some control.

Linking to other minds to increase one's own abilities or to work on a problem together - not the sharing power, this is mainly centred on the telepath

So, like gain the skill or knowledge of the people you have a link with?

Broadcasting a thought telepathically, so telepathic loudspeaker

Hmm, makes sense.

Hiding one's mind from another

Hmm, hard to make rules for that.

Knocking someone out without them realising it

so... just knock them out.

5 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

So, like gain the skill or knowledge of the people you have a link with?

In part, but I was also thinking along the lines of treating them like batteries or additional computing power - basically linking to someone and then drawing energy from them, etc.

Hmm, hard to make rules for that.

Fair enough :-P though perhaps if a telepath knows another telepath is looking for them they can suppress their mental presence, so negating the ability to sense their mind, though that then adds a situation where a telepath is looking for someone and notices they can sense ten minds when they can see eleven people, etc.

so... just knock them out.

After a fashion - more like they blank on what is happening, maybe fully knocked out, but when they come to they don't realise they were knocked out.