Cryptic Names [Discuss]

Negative_Null

So... What's with the Cryptic names? Pattern reveals that all Cryptics would have the name Pattern in Alethi, or something like that. Let me find the actual quote.

"Mmm?" Pattern said. "Pattern? She usually rides on the inside of Beryl's shirt, near her skin. Pattern doesn't like to be seen."

"I'd prefer if you used the Cryptic's other name. It's confusing, otherwise." After being pressured, each of the other Cryptics had picked individual names for the humans to use.

"I don't understand why," he said. "Our names are already all different. I am Pattern. She is Pattern. Gaz has Pattern."

"Those... are the same words, Pattern."

"But they're not. Mmm. I could write the numbers for you."

"Humans can't speak equations as intonations."

Interesting for a number of reasons, one of which I think is foreshadowing for the Rhythms later, but I digress

The names we know about are Ornament (Beryl's Cryptic), Mosaic (Vathah's Cryptic), and Motif (Ishnah's Cryptic) on page 361 in chapter 26. Then of course, there's Testament at the end of the book.

So first off, this means that Shallan just happened to pick the most generic name possible for Pattern in Words of Radiance. Second off, I feel as if Testament is the odd one out here. The rest are related to visual art of some kind, but Testament's name doesn't seem to fit. Granted, it was picked by Shallan and Adolin, not Testament herself. But does it have some kind of connection I'm not seeing? And why would they all be the same?

51 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

So... What's with the Cryptic names? Pattern reveals that all Cryptics would have the name Pattern in Alethi, or something like that. Let me find the actual quote.

Interesting for a number of reasons, one of which I think is foreshadowing for the Rhythms later, but I digress

The names we know about are Ornament (Beryl's Cryptic), Mosaic (Vathah's Cryptic), and Motif (Ishnah's Cryptic) on page 361 in chapter 26. Then of course, there's Testament at the end of the book.

So first off, this means that Shallan just happened to pick the most generic name possible for Pattern in Words of Radiance. Second off, I feel as if Testament is the odd one out here. The rest are related to visual art of some kind, but Testament's name doesn't seem to fit. Granted, it was picked by Shallan and Adolin, not Testament herself. But does it have some kind of connection I'm not seeing? And why would they all be the same?

Well, to the Cryptics, even the slightest change in tone is a different name, and I think they all just decided to copy pattern. he is the 'human expert'.

Was "Testament" not named Testament back in Shallan's youth? I completely missed that if so.

And maybe, in the Cryptic language, everyone's name is a numerical pattern of sorts, thus everyone is a pattern but the numbers are different. The Cryptics adopt different nicknames for ease of humans, Shallan gets the actual 'Pattern' because she's the 1st lightweaver of the post-recreance radiant generation (citation needed?)

14 hours ago, yulyulk said:

Was "Testament" not named Testament back in Shallan's youth? I completely missed that if so.

In talking with Pattern, they'd decided upon an Alethi name for Shallan's previous Cryptic.  One that fit, best they could tell, with the meaning of her individual pattern.

"Testament does seem better, Adolin," Shallan said.  "Thank you for speaking with her."

My impression is that Shallan never had a name for her first spren.  She was so young as to be unsure what was happening... unaware that the entity which became a shardblade was a being separate from herself.  I think Brandon has done a MASTERFUL job with Shallan, showing in a very organic way how our memories are fluid, imperfect... ESPECIALLY memories from childhood.  We knew she didn't remember things, was repressing things.  Then comes a realization, bringing a clearer picture... but eventually THAT gets shattered by another breakthrough, and the picture changes again.  And all the while, everything is wrapped in feelings of guilt, shame, and self-hatred.  From what I've seen, this is very much how the recovery and integration of traumatic childhood memories often happens.

33 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

I've fantasized about being a Knight Radiant (as you do), and realized that Cryptics have names that are so confusing for us that they are willing to go along with whatever other people come up with. For my imaginary Cryptic, I decided on the name of Fractal.

Really?! So have I! :D

5 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

My impression is that Shallan never had a name for her first spren.  She was so young as to be unsure what was happening... unaware that the entity which became a shardblade was a being separate from herself.  I think Brandon has done a MASTERFUL job with Shallan, showing in a very organic way how our memories are fluid, imperfect... ESPECIALLY memories from childhood.  We knew she didn't remember things, was repressing things.  Then comes a realization, bringing a clearer picture... but eventually THAT gets shattered by another breakthrough, and the picture changes again.  And all the while, everything is wrapped in feelings of guilt, shame, and self-hatred.  From what I've seen, this is very much how the recovery and integration of traumatic childhood memories often happens.

Thanks for pointing out the quote, I read RoW and then immediately began rereading the first three books, and kind of forgot a lot of the RoW details x_x it's interesting to me that Adolin seems to communicate better with Testament than Shallan herself, here, despite Shallan having the bond. Adolin the deadeye whisperer?

I also enjoy Shallan's trauma/memory stuff, I know it annoys some people but that kind of psychological examination is something I enjoy. Reading books, for me, is a way to engage with fictional people's vulnerabilities in a way that's not necessarily possible in real life.

I figured Shallan actually named Pattern after Testament, whom she originally called Pattern. She thought they were the same Spren, after all. So Testament would have been the original Pattern.

I’ve always felt Fractal would be a good name for a cryptic. Also Function.

Testament can mean a covenant or a sign. I think the name represents Shallan’s promise to restore her Spren.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:29 AM, Negative_Null said:

Don't forget Design, Wit's Cryptic! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 1:40 PM, Ixthos said:

Julia, Cantor, and my personal favourite, Dragon Curve.

I like all three of these last ones, but just CONSIDER a Cryptic named Dragon Curve, that's fantastic. Made all the better by the fact that most Rosharans don't know what dragons are. Come to think of it, theirs might be called something else...I'd have to look into where that name came from, but perhaps Greatshell Curve? (I keep typoing this as Dragon Curse...

Sometimes I forget not everyone makes and reads about RP characters and other OCs all the time! I've seen most people go after mathematical names for their Cryptics, way fewer artsy. I can only remember writing two myself, one called Infinity, Fin for short, and the other Interval, Val for short. (I like nicknames way too much.) 

If I was naming one of my own, it'd depend on personality and alignment of gender, but personally Cantor, Rhombicuboctahedron (Rhombi), Isometry, Kite, Matrix, Acrylic, and Matte are high up there as options. 

4 hours ago, Dreamwa1ker said:

Thinking of more Pattern names, my brain went to Sequence....

Mistborn Era 2

Hide contents

The Set was started by rogue Cryptics confirmed! :P

Well depending on the outcome of SA 5, you might be more correct than you think :)

MB E2 Spoilers

Spoiler

The Faceless Immortals on Scadrial with red glowing eyes sure do sound like Fused... But Lightweavers also have "red" eye glow, from the color of garnet being associated with them. I doubt an untrained eye would be able to tell the difference between "Lightweaver red eyes" and "corrupted investiture eyes". The reason this isn't the case for normal Lightweavers on Roshar is because they have Voidbringers and Dustbringers to compare to, and their eyes are different enough.