I made a "favorite character" survey

AquaRegia

1)      would like to be friends with most

I need an extrovert to drag my introverted self along to everything, because I'll have fun once I get there. So jut like everybody else my answer is Adolin.

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation

I empathize the most with Jasnah's motivations. She's the only character who cares as much about the lore as I do.

3)      enjoy reading about most

Dalinar

4)      find most confusing/intriguing

Confusing: Mraize. Intriguing: Azure/Zahel/Nightblood.

5)      find makes you laugh the most

The Lopen. With a close runner-up being:

Spoiler

I am a stick.

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick.

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick.

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick.

I am a stick? I am a stick.

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick.

I am a stick.

I am a stick.

I am a stick.

6)      would like to punch in the face

This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules you Moash!

7)      personally relate to most

Using bits and pieces of Adolin, Jasnah, and Renarin I can assemble pretty much my entire personality.

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic

Navani

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest

I'm not much for shameless crushes, but if I could get a mix of Shallan and Veil, well... let's just say I'm eager to see what things are like in book five.

10)    is most like someone you know IRL

Replace Adolin's athletic ability with smarts and you've pretty much got my best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

1)      Syl? Adolin? Shallan? Pattern? Lift? Kaladin? I have no idea what to put on this one 

2)      Lift/Renarin

3)      Kaladin

4)      Hoid

5)      Pattern

6)      Moash/Sadeas/Amaram/everyone who's hurt my homie Kaladin

7)      Probably Lift to be honest. Maybe Kaladin, too (Yes I know they're super different xD)

8)      Kaladin

9)      Shallan

10)    Adolin/Shallan (my Adolin friend is basically Adolin but without the fashion thing, and my Shallan friend is basically Shallan but with less trauma.... right down to the hair and eye color for both! Shallan friend can even draw really well. It's to the point where when I read the books for the first time, I pictured my friend every time Shallan appeared...  It's kind of weird.)

1)    would like to be friends with most, Renarin 

2)     feel is most believable in terms of motivation, Adolin

3)     enjoy reading about most, Kaladin

4)     find most confusing/intriguing, Shallan

5)     find makes you laugh the most, Lopen

6)      would like to punch in the face, Dalinar

7)      personally relate to most, Venli

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic, Adolin

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest, Syl

10)    is most like someone you know IRL, Jasnah

Edited by apepi

1)  Would like to be friends with most:

Probably either Adolin or Syl. I love how both of them are so supportive but also so much fun to be around.

2)  Feel is most believable in terms of motivation

This one is hard. But if I were to choose it would be Adolin.

3) Enjoy reading about most

All of them! Except Moash because I hate him. And also Taravangian because he keeps messing up all the good plans. But I love reading about the rest of them all for different reasons.

4)  Find most confusing/intriguing

Mraize. He is so hard to figure out. And Taln, what is the deal with him? Also Renarin, his deal with the corrupted spren really intrigues me. 

5) Find makes you laugh the most

The spren always make me laugh. Pattern, with his "NO MATING!!!" and "Irony good. Like sausage." Syl, who cares so much about Kal and is so good at cheering both him and me up. She has some great lines. They both crack me up. And also Wit/Hoid.

6) Would like to punch in the face

MOSAH!! Hands down Moash. I hate him so much for what he did to Kal. It's not just the killing that I hate him for, it's for being someone Kal could trust, then abandoning him.            Aaaarggg I really hate him. Oh yeah and Amaram. For the same reasons.

7) Personally relate to most

Kaladin and Shallan. I have depression so I relate to Kaladin so much. Also his wanting to protect others and never let anyone else down too. His chapters are so impactful to me, because I can relate to them. Which also makes them hard to read sometimes. And Shallan is so conflicted inside, which I find I relate to a lot also.

8)  Feel is emotionally most realistic

All of them? That's one thing I love about this series, that Brandon makes us truly understand how they all feel, and we go into so much depth into each character. But in RoW I would probably choose Navani or Dalinar.

9)  Shamelessly crush on the hardest

Kaladin for sure. I think it's because I relate to him so much. Honestly we would probably be horrible together because we're so similar, but I still crush on him HARD.

10) Is most like someone you know IRL

I have a friend who is very similar to Syl. Super bright and happy, and always wants to help other people with their struggles.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

@Bearer of all agonies welcomes new sharders in the “Introduce yourself” forum with the question “who is your favorite character?”  This got me thinking… it’s impossible to pick one, because there are so many different ways someone can be a favorite.  But what if we break up some of the individual criteria?  Then it might make sense.  So I made a thing:

List the Stormlight character you

1)      would like to be friends with most = Adolin, fun to hang out with and/or a Ryshadium (one like Gallant if available)  would be really nice to have a protector warhorse.

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation = Rlain

3)      enjoy reading about most = Kaladin

4)      find most confusing/intriguing = Shallan

5)      find makes you laugh the most = Lift

6)      would like to punch in the face = nobody I don't punch people in the face.  I would seriously consider having Torol Sadeas assassinated, dude is just wrong! 

7)      personally relate to most = Renarin

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic = Dabbid, seems to be the classic PTSD grunt.

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest = Jasnah

10)    is most like someone you know IRL = Hesina, mom

• 4 weeks later...

Navani. She is the one that is closest to how I am, and I guess we would have much to discuss and talk about.

I think most of them are believable in their way

Dalinar

Shallan. I like her a lot, but I find her very intriguing, because of her difficulties and her struggles to develop

Pattern. I love his AI way of thinking and the absuridites that comes out of that.

Moash

Navani

Kaladin

Dalinar

Kaladin

1)  Who would like to be friends with most

Beard from the Kholinar guard in book 3 (RIP) he was really entertaining.

2)  Who do you feel is most believable in terms of motivation

Venli, I don't like her much but I do think she has the best reason to redeem herself.

3) Who do you enjoy reading about most

Kaladin, his parts are always tense and action filled and he is so determined.

4) Who do you find most confusing/intriguing

Hoid hands down.

5) Who makes you laugh the most

Sebarial, he is a rude and mocking man where all the other highprinces are stuck up and formal.

6) Who would you like to punch in the face

Amaram, I'm glad that's over.

7)  Who do you personally relate to most

Kelek/Restares just wanna get off of this planet.

8)   Who do you feel is emotionally most realistic

Dalinar, I don't have a reason he just feels the most realistic

9)    Who do you shamelessly crush on the hardest

Eshonai, she is adenturous and brave and is also kind to others.

10)   Who is most like someone you know IRL

Sigzil

On 1/11/2021 at 7:23 AM, GroundPetrel said:

Which is of course why he needs an Adolin Kholin in his life, but then again we all need an Adolin to hug us, take us out for drinks that turn into an impromptu attempt to get us laid, and go completely, ridiculously, unnecessarily over the top in our defense when somebody wrongs us.

1) Adolin because he always knows how to help

2) hmmm... this is hard. All of Brandon's characters are so believable! Probably Dalinar for me. He really wants to make the world better for everyone.

3) Kaladin. No contest. He always has the most dramatic parts. I always say that Kaladin can get away with saying and doing things that no one else could ;)

4) Jasnah. There are two sentences in OB that talk about her "lunacy" and how she was locked away. I am really curious about this. Also Saj-anat. She is really fascinating and I think she will be super important later on. I also think that Renarin and Rlain have interesting plot lines.

5) ?? Maybe Pattern. He says the weirdest things!

6) MOASH. Needs no justification. (See above quote)

7) Navani. She and I are both a bit OCD about organization. She is also totally a scholar, which is what I aspire to be.

8) Little Gav. His confusion about his parents is so believable!

9) Adolin. He is always so kind and sweet.

10) Sebarial. There are a couple of kids I know...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/9/2021 at 5:53 AM, AquaRegia said:

1)      would like to be friends with most

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation

3)      enjoy reading about most

4)      find most confusing/intriguing

5)      find makes you laugh the most

6)      would like to punch in the face

7)      personally relate to most

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest

1. Rock. He is an amazing empathetic character. I want to be friends with him. One of my best friends is already like him, but I can aways use another funny empath to spend time with. 

2. I mean I think a lot of characters are realistic, hmm. I’ll go with Venli. I am a teacher, and while teaching adults, I found a lot of people who are ambitious while not knowing what they really want. Her bad decision making, her turn to good, her fear and cowardice remind me of many real people. 

3. Kaladin for a main character. During the first two books, not skipping to his chapters was difficult. I just loved his parts so much. Still do. For a side character, I liked Bridge 4 chapters in OB and RoW, maybe Moash/Rock for book 3 and Rlain for book 4. Found their chapters interesting and revealing. 

4. Confusing/intriguing? Hmm : Moash for intriguing. I know where I want his character arc to go, but not sure it will happen. Confusing…I don’t know, having difficulty coming up with one. I don’t find Taragavian confusing, but maybe someone who thinks he is a good leader. All the characters who follow and support him I guess. But considering he lies to most of them, eh I don’t know. 

5. Lopen or maybe Pattern. I think this one is straight forward. 

6. Taragavian. Most certainly. Maybe half the Heralds too, they annoy me so much. Oh that’s my answer for confusing. All the Heralds. I have no clue why they do the things they do. 

7. Probably Eshonai. However, Dalinar’s dealing with his addiction was the most relatable plot line for me.. but I don’t relate to Dalinar otherwise. As to Eshonai, she is probably an ENFP like me, she loves exploring like me, and was so intrigued by other societies and peoples like me. Eshonai’s adventerousness is also looked down on by her society, which I relate too a lot. Like she is forced to take a normal job/duty rather than just enjoy her life. I relate to that hard. 

8. Emotionally realistic is different than motivationally realistic? I guess Kaladin. Most realistic view of depression I’ve read in a long time. Oh and Dalinar for addiction, as I noted I related to that plotline a lot, and it reminded me of my real struggle a lot. 

9. Crush I guess is either Jasnah or Raboniel. I like them strong women. However, I wouldn’t say anyone in the story is really my type. Female characters like my type are pretty rare in media. Probably I could name a male character if gender switched was my type, but I’d have to think hard lol. 

10. Rock. My best friend and Rock are so very similar. Jasnah is a bit like my partner, she used to be obsessed with logically disproving me all the time lol, and has a similar view on religion to Jasnah. However, she has a lot of major differences, so only partially. 

11. (I am making one up. Who do you think uses their powers in the most interesting ways?) My answer to this is The Pursuer. He is the worst, but his powers are so cool. 

6 minutes ago, Jash said:

6. Taragavian. Most certainly. Maybe half the Heralds too, they annoy me so much. Oh that’s my answer for confusing. All the Heralds. I have no clue why they do the things they do. 

Seven thousand years of life, and three thoushand years of torture will do that to you.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Seven thousand years of life, and three thoushand years of torture will do that to you.

You speak from experience? Lol. We just making it up when we describe ancient beings dude. It’s what we imagine they would be like, and it doesn’t take away from the fact I think they do strange confusing things and that I don’t understand why they are doing it. 

1 minute ago, Jash said:

You speak from experience? Lol. We just making it up when we describe ancient beings dude. It’s what we imagine they would be like, and it doesn’t take away from the fact I think they do strange confusing things and that I don’t understand why they are doing it. 

They are wierd yes,

Especially the ones who think Ishar is sane.

1)      would like to be friends with most

Renarin

Eshonai

Renarin/Jasnah/Navani/Rlain/Szeth

Wit/Adolin and Maya/Lift

Adolin

ugh fine Moash

Renarin?

Kaladin

Jasnah

Adolin is very similar to a close friend of mine

• 2 months later...

1)      Would like to be friends with most. Pattern. The conversations we would have...

2)      Feel is most believable in terms of motivation. Kaladin. Need I say more?

3)      Enjoy reading about most. Pattern. 

4)      Find most confusing/intriguing. Pattern.

5)      Find makes you laugh the most. Pattern, The Lopen, and Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor (Rock) are all tied.

6)      Would like to punch in the face. Moash or Lift, as she is the pinnacle of childlike annoyance.

7)      Personally relate to most. I have no idea.

8)      Feel is emotionally most realistic. Kaladin.

9)      Shamelessly crush on the hardest. Also Pattern.

10)    Most like someone you know IRL. Sylphrena reminds me of a friend.

As you can see, I really like Pattern

Edited by Sequence

On 1/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

List the Stormlight character you

Like so many: Adolin and Syl. :) Having people like them caring and helping, that's something I can only dream about.
Also as an "add on" Adolin's care for Maya and Gallant. ("Never be afraid to show a little respect to those you depend on.")

The not-anymore-Blackthorn Dalinar even though he had to be "forced" onto this new way. Kaladin because he lives his motivation.

Syl and Kaladin (except the sometimes too lengthy fight scenes), Bridge Four, Rysn, Lift, and last but not least, Renarin. ;)

Confusing? Raboniel (she confused me because I wanted to believe here sincerity).
Intriguing, hmm. Wit and Pattern (because I still don't get what I can take for true and when he lied, despite the lies he already admitted).

Oh, Yalb, Syl, Pattern and Rock. ;)

And: Kaladin in the chapter where they had to learn riding. ;) I literally "laughed out loudly" when I read this. :P (I like horses, as one might figure. :D)

The "still-Blackthorn" Dalinar, especially about the way he treated Evi.
Amaram, I hated him from the very first time he appeared on screen.
Moash for his betrayal and going trough with his (petty) revenge.
Lezian for his dumb tradition.

And though I love Kaladin, I would like to give him some slapping, especially for being so dumb and naive to give the Shardblade and Shardplate to Moash.

Kaladin though I feel that he's worse than I am but at the same time stronger than I am (but this might be because he has Syl and his powers which let him go on when "normal" people wouldn't be able to; thus his realization that he might have ended up in one of those "sanatoriums" would things have gone differently). There is the scene after Dalinar told him he'd be released from active duty and when Kaladin came to his rooms he just broke down. (I know this feeling: "He wanted to cry, because at least this would be a release. ... wishing he could shrivel away.")

Navani and Kaladin (I can't help myself :) and Teft.

Oh, that's hard. :) One might expect that I would say Kaladin but, no. I'd like to have him as a friend but not being in a relationship with him.

To be honest, I can't say. Even though I love and hate characters they are just fictional, I can't talk with them, get to know them as people, experience them interacting with me.

None.

• 4 months later...

1)      would like to be friends with most : Pattern

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation : Shallan

3)      enjoy reading about most : Lift

4)      find most confusing/intriguing : Jasnah

5)      find makes you laugh the most : Wit

6)      would like to punch in the face : Wit

7)      personally relate to most : Gawx

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic : "Dumb" Taravangian

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest : Leshwi

10)    is most like someone you know IRL : The Lopen

• 7 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 0:04 AM, GroundPetrel said:

1.Lift

2.Venli in RoW

3.Wit

4.Also Wit

5.Lopen

6.Amaram & Sadeas

7.Navani

8.Adolin

9.El

10.I don't know....:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 4:52 PM, RAFOmancer said:

1.Wit

On 9/2/2022 at 4:52 PM, RAFOmancer said:

2.Venli in RoW

2.Just like Rafomancer said

3.Kaladin

4.Wit

5.Lift

6.Amaram,Sadeas

7.Also Lift

8.Dalinar

9.Kaladin

10.Navani :)

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2021 at 0:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

1)      would like to be friends with most - Well, probably Kaladin, more for his sake than mine...

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation - Um... Sebarial.

3)      enjoy reading about most - Kaladin. His depression isn't really off-putting to me for some reason.

4)      find most confusing/intriguing - Wit! Duh.

5)      find makes you laugh the most - Um... Probably Wit again.

6)      would like to punch in the face - Well, Moash.

7)      personally relate to most - Weeeeell... is this just Stormlight characters? If not, Elend! Before the transformation. If so... Elend.

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic - ...All of them?

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest - KALADIN!!!!

10)    is most like someone you know IRL - ...Veil? Kind of? Maybe? I guess?

I'm a little late to the party. Okay, yeah, the party's over. But I don't care.

-Kaladin, or The Lopen. Former for the deep soul searching conversations, latter for the unending hilarious shenanigans.

But also like everyone else I wouldn't mind Adolin as a best friend. My life would be less similar to Kaladin's with him around.

-Erm, they all seem rather realistic in their individual motivations. Among the main reasons why I love all of these characters so much (among the greater cosmere as well)

-Kaladin honestly. Every single character has their moments, and I love them all, but admittedly when I reread the books the only chapters I will never skip involve Kaladin in some way. I don't think there's ever been a fictional character that I connect with as thoroughly.

-None of them are confusing except maybe Taravangian, but that's only as of right now while we can only guess at his true intentions. Most intriguing to me are all of the Heralds. Not sure I really need to elaborate on that, just that Nale and then Ishar's demonstration of their skills left me wanting a lot more. Can't wait to see the rest of them showing off.

-It's The Lopen. Honestly it wasn't until Dawnshard where his type of humor really started to click with me, and I relate to his oaths in a significant way. I often use humor/sarcasm as a defense mechanism. Regardless quite a few of his jokes got some genuine laughter out of me.

I will also mention Pattern. Arguably the most hilarious character in the cosmere.

-Uhhh... nobody really. Not even Moash. He's been through enough and will go through even worse, a punch in the face wouldn't help one way or the other. He prob just needs a hug tbh.

-Well I already kinda answered this earlier, it's Kaladin, but I also highly relate to aspects of several other characters. Shallan's identity issues, Jasnah's inability to get close to anyone, Dalinar's struggle to be a better man than his past self... I'll stop there.

-Literally everyone. Though I haven't mentioned Renarin yet, and I feel like he deserves some attention from me because even though I'm not too familiar with autism he's the type of person I would go to any lengths to protect.

-Oddly no one. I could see myself being happy with either a Shallan or Jasnah type, preferably the latter. But I don't believe I would be compatible with either of them. And I wouldn't want them to settle for someone like me considering they have so much world saving to do.

-Again no one, unfortunately. Aside from myself there isn't anyone I know who shares significant similarities.