I made a "favorite character" survey

AquaRegia

On 1/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, AquaRegia said:

@Eri it's interesting you see Kaladin as an extrovert.  My sweetie and I were discussing him and she sees him as an introvert who has learned how to "play a role", in this case, the military leader.  I find I agree.  I'm definitely more introverted, yet I was a successful high school teacher for many years; I was able to play the "role" of the high-energy people person in order to get my job done, even though it wasn't really who I was... and of course I was exhausted at the end of every day and needed serious alone time to recharge.  I think the wedding party scene in RoW is illustrative: Adolin, the true extrovert, knows EVERYONE and enjoys learning everything about them.  Kaladin, the introvert, knows all about the people under his command... but is unaware of who's getting married, or even that it was a wedding party.

P.S.:  I was today years old when I learned that "extravert" and "extrovert" are both acceptable spellings!

A friend once told me this is called a “noisy introvert.” I’m one too. People can get me out of my cave to put on a performance, but when it’s done I go back to the cave. With lots of Brandon books. Don’t bother me.

Awesome thread, thank you!

1)  Oooh, this is such a hard pick - I love so many of them. At the end of the day, though, probably Rushu. As my username suggests, I really like her, and I think we're pretty similar in temperament and sense of humor - we'd get along well. 

2)  I understand Taravangian's motivations, even if I don't agree with them. If you really did believe that it was either a city of people or no one at all, I think many would do the same.

3)  This one is hard to say, since there are lots of different reasons that I enjoy reading about a character. Navani's chapters have the most magical lore, but Kaladin's are the most "epic"...I don't think I can pick.

4)  Intriguing has to be Jasnah. We've only got a tiny peek inside her head, but it really makes me want to know more. Who is she at heart, behind the mask?

5)  There isn't really one character that makes me laugh every time, but rather favorite moments. That said, I think I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Shallan's humor in book 1.

6)  Gavilar Kholin. Absolutely. I get all the Moash hate, but it makes me so mad that the world thinks that Gavilar was a hero when he's clearly such a piece of crem.

7)  I'm going with Navani. Her character hits so close to home; the "order from chaos" bit, the love for science, the desire for the world to just make sense, the inner frustration with political games and needless bias, the idealism, and of course the feeling of being less compared to the incredible people around you - it all feels a little too real. That's not to say, though, that I'm as amazing as she is - rather, in many ways, Navani is the person that I wish I could be. (I'm going to stop myself now before I write 3 more paragraphs of fangirling.)

8)  Probably Teft. His struggles with addiction and self-loathing felt very real, and his arc to overcome it didn't feel forced or magical - just healthy and wonderful.

9)  I really don't crush on any of them. I admire lots, though, so maybe I'll just put Rock because he's such a great friend.

10) Oddly enough, I might say Wit. Obviously I don't know anyone quite as ... Wit as he is, but a lot of his antics remind me of the sorts of things that people I know might do, especially my older brother.

Sorry if any of the above is redundant; I didn't have time to read the whole thread.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, AquaRegia said:

@Eri it's interesting you see Kaladin as an extrovert.  My sweetie and I were discussing him and she sees him as an introvert who has learned how to "play a role", in this case, the military leader

I don’t think it’s just playing a role, either. Kaladin takes a lot of personal responsibility, both for things he did and for things he failed to do. It feels like he’s not so much playing a part as fulfilling a purpose. If somebody needs (or could be helped by) him, then meeting their needs overrides meeting his own. He might prefer to recharge by retreating within himself, but he has to be there for others. So if a leader is what’s needed, that’s what he’ll be; whatever it costs.

Despite that, Kaladin absolutely comes across as an introvert, with an internal focus and a lot of (over)thinking (which bleeds into depression-related rumination). An extravert comes back from training soldiers and goes to the fire to spend more time with them in this changed role, because that energizes. Kaladin typically chooses to stand or sit off by himself to watch. He tends to seem drained from a day spent working with the others, though refreshed from seeing the good his work and their bonds do them. That could be just exhaustion mitigated by relaxation, of course.

But Kaladin gets energy from flying or walking alone (with Syl), and avoids group social interactions that are not about camaraderie or duty (do we ever see him just hang out if someone [Adolin] isn’t forcing him?). And this last caveat – the way he thrives in group bonding situations (Bridge 4 eating soup together) or on-mission despite preferring to go be alone (how many times did he go for a walk instead of joining a group, or avoid going out with the guys?) – seems like it’s based on his personality/nature. For an introvert who is compelled to help people, interactions serving others aren’t draining in the same way other interactions are. Fueling others is worth draining themself.

It’s realistic for an introvert who feels responsibility (especially for others) heavily to seek out and excel in (while nevertheless being enervated by) a leadership position if their need to help others is stronger than their need to protect their own identity…or if their identity is tied up in protecting/helping. But for this type, the leadership position will always be (treated as) a service position: lead to protect, teach to enable, draw attention to keep others from being targeted. Kaladin seems to do all of those.

1. I would like to be friends with Adolin because he is Adolin
  2. I think that I would put here Raboniel
  3. I LOVE when there is Jasnah's point of view
  4. Renarin is for me the most intriguing character. Ooo and Wit, also
  5. Pattern, of course
  6. Taravangian, Taravangian, Taravangian
  7. Sebarial
  8. All of the characters
  9. No one
  10. Hmmmmm, I think maybe Lift

1)      Would like to be friends with most

Adolin, he is so supporting and understanding with Shallan and Kaladin

2)      Feel is most believable in terms of motivation

Venli, she's just selfish in the begining but she's trying

3)      Enjoy reading about most

Kaladin... And Taravangian, because he's fascinating

4)      Find most confusing/intriguing

Renarin, I'm really looking forward to his arc in the second 5. And again Mr. T

5)      Find makes you laugh the most

Wit (with Mosaic)

6)      Would like to punch in the face

Moash, I know he killed a bunch of people, but I wanna punch him for what he did to Kal

7)      Personally relate the most

Not that easy, it's a mixture: Venli (trying to be better), Kaladin (feeling down, but fighting against it), Renarin (feeling socially awkward sometimes) and the female Vorin,                 science part 

8)      Feel is emotionally most realistic

Kaladin, sometimes it just hurts to read his POV

9)      Shamelessly crush on the hardest

Kaladin, just love him, when he keeps fighting, he's just adorable and soo good

10)    Is most like someone you know IRL

My best friend is a pretty good fit for Adolin

1 hour ago, Veritate said:

1)      Would like to be friends with most

Adolin, he is so supporting and understanding with Shallan and Kaladin

2)      Feel is most believable in terms of motivation

Venli, she's just selfish in the begining but she's trying

3)      Enjoy reading about most

Kaladin... And Taravangian, because he's fascinating

4)      Find most confusing/intriguing

Renarin, I'm really looking forward to his arc in the second 5. And again Mr. T

5)      Find makes you laugh the most

Wit (with Mosaic)

6)      Would like to punch in the face

Moash, I know he killed a bunch of people, but I wanna punch him for what he did to Kal

7)      Personally relate the most

Not that easy, it's a mixture: Venli (trying to be better), Kaladin (feeling down, but fighting against it), Renarin (feeling socially awkward sometimes) and the female Vorin,                 science part 

8)      Feel is emotionally most realistic

Kaladin, sometimes it just hurts to read his POV

9)      Shamelessly crush on the hardest

Kaladin, just love him, when he keeps fighting, he's just adorable and soo good

10)    Is most like someone you know IRL

My best friend is a pretty good fit for Adolin

I think you meant Design. Design is Wit’s Spren.

On 1/8/2021 at 0:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

List the Stormlight character you

1)      would like to be friends with most

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation

3)      enjoy reading about most

4)      find most confusing/intriguing

5)      find makes you laugh the most

6)      would like to punch in the face

7)      personally relate to most

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest

10)    is most like someone you know IRL

1-3) Kaladin

8 and 9) Kaladin

4) Shallan and Cultivation

5) This is hard. Syl, Lift and Wyndle together, and Design.

6) Dalinar

7) Hmmm. Can't think of anyone so Steris. She is my role model. I admire her more than just about anyone.

10) Renarin

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my post!  Some answers I understood immediately, while for others I thought "Wait, what?  Really?  Well, maybe... OK, I never thought about it that way, but it makes sense."

I probably shouldn't have been as surprised as I was by the amazing diversity of responses... it just goes to show what a stunningly incredible job Brandon has done in creating characters who feel "real" to so many of us, and in so many different ways.  People are complicated, and one person's "enjoy the most" is another person's "punch in the face".  Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things?

Thank you all so much for helping me feel like part of the Shard!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok please don’t judge me lol

1) Syl

2) Dalinar 

3) Kaladin

4) Definitely Shallan

5) Pattern lol “NO MATING” that one got tears xD

6)I hate Moash, so much

7) tbh probably Adolin?

8) Navani

9) For sure Kaladin. Hehe

10) Wit

Edited by HaileyTheMistborn

1) would like to be friends with most: ...Szeth. Ok everyone is picking Adolin because they want a supportive friend. But I think his personality and mine wouldn't mesh well. And Szeth...maybe I want to be Szeth's emotionally supportive friend.

2) feel is most believable in terms of motivation: all of them!

3) enjoy reading about most: Nale

4) find most confusing/intriguing: Sja-Anat, Ba-Ado-Mishram, Cultivation. Very mysterious ladies, those three are.

5) find makes you laugh the most: the Stormfather.

6) would like to punch in the face: no one :wub:

7) personally relate to most: Venli as of late (don't hate me but Moash in Oathbringer before killing Elhokar was relatable too)

8) feel is emotionally most realistic: all of them

9) shamelessly crush on the hardest: in TWoK it was Jasnah, after RoW it's Leshwi

10) is most like someone you know IRL: no one, I think? But I'm bad at judging personalities irl, books make it easy

1) not entirely sure, adolin is fun, and syl has a very similar personality to mine, but like @yulyulk, i would really want to be friends with szeth or kaladin just to support them. though when i comes to syl, i might have to pick her because she's just like my childhood imaginary friends

2) honestly, taravangian. i don't agree with his utilitarian motives, but i understand them and his perspective on them, i get scared by everything, mostly jumping from heights i know are safe, and so if i had the choice between taking crazy risks that i don't think i can do to save everyone, or to do all these bad things, that i can almost guaranty will work, i would do it

3) kaladin i think, i mean, his depression is sad and all, but when he fights it's epic, this opinion is only strengthened by RoW

4) cultivation and tod, because for tod, mostly his past, but also, i really want to know their motives, and what actions they'll take.

5) again, not completely sure, like, some people don't like different characters humor, but me, i look at a joke, and if i get it, i laugh, if i don't, i try to figure it out, and then laugh, if sometimes they just say something funny, i laugh, i'm the worst critic in the world, when i try to critic someone, the words become gibberish, and other times, i just find reasoning

6) moash. once. i've said this in other threads, i can't hate people, especially characters, moash included, the only time i hate a character or person is in the moment, like when teft died, or when my brother does something i don't like (there is currently one exception to this). so moash, i'd give him my best punch (i lied before, if the first punch wasn't satisfying enough, i'd do it again, and repeat) and then i'd try to convince him to take his emotions back and comfort him

7) uuuuuuummmmmmm, maybe lift? that the closest i can think of, and it's because she acts younger than she is, she has a reason though, and i don't, also we're both about the same age

8) they're all realistic, i don't know who's the most realistic

9) no one, the closest is lift or syl, but not really

10) absolutly no idea, the closest i can think of is comparing jasnah to my older sister, because they both seem pretty perfect, but in reality are good at hiding that they're overwhelmed. my sister is way nicer though.

On 08/01/2021 at 3:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

HATE my picks? 

Yeah I hate your picks

...Kidding.

1.  Adolin. He's always looking to have a good time.

2. Raboniel. It would be exhausting to be a fused. Imagine the worst boss you've ever had. Now make that eternity.

3. Kaladin. 

4. Any Herald. I can't wait for the back half so we can figure what's going on.

5. Syl. 

6. Moash then Sadeas. Then Moash. Then Sadeas.

7. Renarin. It's not easy being the black sheep.

8. Teft. He was just trying to do it. One day at a time.

9. No one really. I guess Shallan if she could access her uncrazy side. I like a little crazy but that...

10.  Is anyone ordinary enough for real life?

On 1/8/2021 at 11:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

@Bearer of all agonies  

1- Adolin, hands down, fun and easy going, loyal, great wingman, and handy in a fight.

2- Dalinar, no explanation needed.

3- Dalinar, Kaladin, Szeth.

4- Szeth, Renarin, Sja-Anat.

5- Lopen, Lift.

6- Ulim.

7- Renarin/Teft.

8- Teft, been there.

9- Syl, she’s intelligent and articulate. But seriously, Rushu.

10- Teft, again.

• 3 weeks later...

1)      would like to be friends with most - Navani; #2 is Hessina

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation - Lift

3)      enjoy reading about most - Dalinar (IMO the best character I've ever read in any book, whatever my brain seems to mean by best, which I could not define for you but still feel strongly about it...)

4)      find most confusing/intriguing - Renarin; #2 is Wit

5)      find makes you laugh the most - Lift; #2 is The Lopen

6)      would like to punch in the face - Mraize; #2 is Nalan

7)      personally relate to most - Jasnah

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic - Dalinar

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest - My aged brain doesn't go there anymore, LOL!

10)    is most like someone you know IRL - Jasnah

On 1/8/2021 at 8:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

@Bearer of all agonies welcomes new sharders in the “Introduce yourself” forum with the question “who is your favorite character?”  This got me thinking… it’s impossible to pick one, because there are so many different ways someone can be a favorite.  But what if we break up some of the individual criteria?  Then it might make sense.  So I made a thing:

1. Rock

2. Taravangian

3. Bridge 4

4. Szeth

5. Lopen

6. Shallan/Dalinar

7. Rock

8. Szeth/Lift

9. No one

10. Rock

1)      would like to be friends with most - Renarin, Rlain, or maybe Jasnah

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation - Kaladin

3)      enjoy reading about most - Renarin or maybe Navani

4)      find most confusing/intriguing - Rlain or Wit

5)      find makes you laugh the most - Wit

6)      would like to punch in the face - Wit, Amaram, Taravangian, Gavilar, or Nale

7)      personally relate to most - Renarin or Jasnah

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic - Navani

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest - Non-Applicable

10)    is most like someone you know IRL - Renarin?

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Why might I ask?

He's one of the most dangerous people in the Cosmere, and well, I don't know. I just feel like once we know more about him, he'll turn out, though not a villain, very antagonistic to most of our characters' goals. Punching him in the face is probably the wrong move, but he  scares me more than anyone else in the Cosmere (with the exceptions of Kelsier, Nightblood, Odium, Ruin, and the shades).

Edited by Qwerty Feuerleben
Spelling error

58 minutes ago, Qwerty Feuerleben said:

He's one of the most dangerous people in the Cosmere, and well, I don't know. I just feel like once we know more about him, he'll turn out, though not a villain, very antagonistic to most of our characters' goals. Puching him in the face is probably the wrong move, but he probably scares me more than anyone else in the Cosmere (with the exceptions of Kelsier, Nightblood, Odium, Ruin, and the shades).

Yeah, something about him, I kinda get a reverse-Kelsier from him?  Like, I get the vague impression of Kelsier being a bad guy who slowly becomes good, and Hoid is a well-meaning guy who slowly becomes a bad guy.  This could just be my mind pursuing minutiae though.  

56 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Yeah, something about him, I kinda get a reverse-Kelsier from him?  Like, I get the vague impression of Kelsier being a bad guy who slowly becomes good, and Hoid is a well-meaning guy who slowly becomes a bad guy.  This could just be my mind pursuing minutiae though.  

This is entirely possible. They essentially hate each other for being exactly the same person.

11 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

This is entirely possible. They essentially hate each other for being exactly the same person.

Basically the vibe I get from Kel is that he starts off as an asshole who uses his revolutionary cause against an insanely sadistic regime as an excuse to sate his bloodlust, but interactions with better people and general experience are slowly making him a better person.  I suspect that his motivation is something along the lines of "the Shards suck, people should have more freedom to determine their destinies without all this divine interference" and my pet theory is that he's gunning for all the Shards but Harmony with an end goal of reforging Adonalsium around Sazed.  

Meanwhile Hoid is basically playing into the planetary manipulation game and I'm afraid that he's slowly becoming a meddling manipulative imperialist who'll come to loggerheads with Kel after slowly becoming the villain.  

Of course based on the Sixth 2 excerpt I could be wrong.