I made a "favorite character" survey

AquaRegia

@Bearer of all agonies welcomes new sharders in the “Introduce yourself” forum with the question “who is your favorite character?”  This got me thinking… it’s impossible to pick one, because there are so many different ways someone can be a favorite.  But what if we break up some of the individual criteria?  Then it might make sense.  So I made a thing:

List the Stormlight character you

1)      would like to be friends with most

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation

3)      enjoy reading about most

4)      find most confusing/intriguing

5)      find makes you laugh the most

6)      would like to punch in the face

7)      personally relate to most

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest

10)    is most like someone you know IRL

Here are mine:

1)      would like to be friends with most – Sigzil.  I like nerds, hate liars, and everybody needs a straight man.  Also Rock, duh.

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation – Taravangian.

3)      enjoy reading about most – Lift, hands down.  Love every scene, can’t wait for more!  MORE LIFT PLEASE

4)      find most confusing/intriguing – Szeth.  Love him, NEED to know WTF happened, hope his broken brain can be fixed somehow.

5)      find makes you laugh the most – 4-way tie: Lopen, Nightblood, Chiri-Chiri, that one ardent who just wants to read trashy romance novels.

6)      would like to punch in the face – Wit.  He needs to get off his ass.  Also I’m still mad about how he treated Kelsier.

7)      personally relate to most – WANTED to say Navani, but not gonna lie, it’s Sebarial.  Smart enough to be fat and lazy in a war for the end of the world?  He’s like my spirit animal.

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic – Raboniel.  Every new wrinkle makes her MORE believable.

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest – almost said Syl (I mean manicpixiedreamgirl amirite) but honestly?  Rysn.  She’s smart, adventurous, and has matured quite a bit.

10)    is most like someone you know IRL – Teft.  I know a lot of people trying to recover from addiction.  The struggle is real.

HATE my picks?  Tell me why and let’s talk about it!  Give us YOUR picks, and we’ll tell you why you’re crazy!

26 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

6)      would like to punch in the face – Wit.  He needs to get off his ass.  Also I’m still mad about how he treated Kelsier.

As much as I like Kelsier in Mistborn, secret histories really explains that he is supremely hateful and prejudiced in all of his murders, which he takes pleasure in and calls "the fun part". He's also Thaidakar, founder of an organization of murderers who do a bunch of messed up stuff in the pursuit of self interest. And didn't Kelsier try to punch Wit first? And Wit was surprised that he was able to punch Kelsier since that's the only being he's been able to harm since the Shattering. I'm not saying Wit doesn't deserve it, he's certainly obnoxious in the pursuit of humor, but you also can't say Kelsier didn't deserve that punch and much worse

1 hour ago, AquaRegia said:

1. Adolin because he'd be healthy for me to be friends with.  
  2. Pretty much all of them tbh.  
  3. Lift I think, she's awesome.  
  4. As of now, TaravOdium.  
  5. Lift. The Lopen and Nightblood as honorable mentions.  
  6. Hoid, but mostly to lure him into a fight with the theoretical future Rainbow Pirate Mistborn Kelsier I have gleefully speculated about.  
  7. Kaladin for depression, Shallan for identity confusion and art, Navani for impostor syndrome, Renarin for neurological issues, Adolin for general insecurity.  
  8. Pretty much all of them except maybe Szeth.  
  9. None, though I ship Adolin/Shallan/Kaladin and Navani/Dalinar (Navani/Dalinar is OTP and I won't hear otherwise).  
  10. Um...Shallan maybe?  
Edited by GroundPetrel

2 hours ago, Honorspring said:

As much as I like Kelsier in Mistborn, secret histories really explains that he is supremely hateful and prejudiced in all of his murders, which he takes pleasure in and calls "the fun part". He's also Thaidakar, founder of an organization of murderers who do a bunch of messed up stuff in the pursuit of self interest. And didn't Kelsier try to punch Wit first?

Kelsier tried to fight Hoid only after Hoid was condescending and deliberately insulting.  It's been a while since I re-read Mistborn, but I recall Kelsier's prejudices abating considerably during his months with Vin... and I don't see him as being any more hateful than Kaladin (with his "storming lighteyes") or more violent than Dalinar.  I'm aware of the Thaidakar connection, and while I agree it doesn't look good, we don't really know what his goals are at this point.  Nobody is the villain of their own story, right?  In any case, they can BOTH deserve a punch.

2 hours ago, GroundPetrel said:
  1. Hoid, but mostly to lure him into a fight with the theoretical future Rainbow Pirate Mistborn Kelsier I have gleefully speculated about.  
  2. Kaladin for depression, Shallan for identity confusion and art, Navani for impostor syndrome, Renarin for neurological issues, Adolin for general insecurity.

YES.  Kelsier vs Hoid, The Rematch.  I'm so in.  And if you are dealing with all that stuff... well, dang.  I'm in your corner.  Keep your chin up, you're worth it.

1. Adolin simply because he is the friendliest guy. Though I would love to meet Kaladin if he was real.

2. This is really hard to decide as Brandon Sanderson does such a good job giving every character believable motivation though I think I will have to choose Teft. Unlike most of the other main characters who experienced truly ubelievable events that seem impossible Tefts story seems believable. From the Invisgars and his betrayal of them to the joining of the military, abyss of fire moss, turning into a bridge man and following this inspiring Leader Kaladin, it all seems so much more believable than the other characters stories.

3. This is Kaladin and always will be Kaladin he is my favorite character in the Stormlight archive perhaps across the whole cosmere. Though I do always enjoy Lift chapters, Jasnah chapters, and Renarin chapters when we get them.

4. Right now I am confused with Cultivation at the end of Oathbringer I believed she was a brilliant leader against the forces of Odium but now after she has put a far more dangerous vessel into the power of Odom I worry she may be nuts and the vessels power to cultivate to change made her change the vessel instead of shattering the power.

5. Lift always makes me laugh the most though I will say that when the Fused started calling Lesrian the defeated one I started laughing out loud.

6. MOASH I WOULD STORMING PUNCH MOASH STRAIGHT IN THE FACE.

7. I fell like I relate in small bits to almost every character which is why I love the Stormlight archive books so much.

8. I feel the emotionally most realistic character is Adolin, the privilege, the general friendliness, but anger at his father feels the most realistic. As I believe the majority of people are the same who don’t even think about their privilege but who are still generally good and friendly people. Also it is very relatable to have anger at individuals like Adolin has for Dalinar.

9.  I don’t have a crush on any Stormlight archive character.

10. Again I feel like I know an Adolin because most people are Adolin.

1. Would like to be friends with most
    • Bridge Four, as of WoR
  2. Feel is most believable in terms of motivation
    • I am not sure what this means. I am quite thoroughly sold on most of the characters and their choices, bad as those choices may sometimes be.
  3. Enjoy reading about most
    • Kaladin, I wouldn't mind if the whole series was just Kaladin. Runner ups: Szeth, Wit/Hoid, Vasher
  4. Find most confusing/intriguing
    • Confusing and intriguing are two very different words. I guess my answer is Jasnah. Her attitude and behavior in RoW hint at trying to compensate for past weakness, but I need some more from her to be sold. 
  5. Find makes you laugh the most
    • Wit/Hoid: He is comedic brilliance.
  6. Would like to punch in the face
    • Punch the way that Kelsier punches Leras (in SH):
      • Jasnah, to knock her off her high horse.
      • Moash, to help get his head unstuck to the interior of his rear end. 
      • Venli, for being such an insufferable, selfish coward for most of RoW.
    • Punch the way that Kelsier punches Ati:
      • Taravangian, I have Delores Umbridge levels of hate for him.
      • I would have also said Mr and Mrs Sadeus, but they are out of the running on account of deadness. 
  7. Personally relate to most
    • I have never in all of literature or real-life related to anyone more than I have Kaladin Stormblessed. I don't have depression, but I: Did have my life and whole world view shattered by betrayal. Absolutely and 1000% do set impossibly high goals/standards for myself and then tear myself to pieces for not meeting them. Am a person who is not allowed to give up: even if everyone else falls, I cannot ever quit. Do care about everything, all the time, putting all my heart and mind and strength into every "mission". Do have really overwhelming mood swings and have in the past been taken to dark places where I felt like my very existence was a burden to humanity (though I got past that particular point in my life a couple years ago). And so on...
  8. Feel is emotionally most realistic
    • One of the things I find most compelling about Brandon's work is that everyone is pretty emotionally realisitc. It would be too hard for me to choose one. However, I can say that the one I have the hardest time understanding is Shallan in RoW and Adolin's superhuman patience with her. Not that I didn't cry with her when her story peaked in Lasting Integrity, but for most of the book, her behavior and psyche was pretty far from my wheelhouse. Nevertheless, I did appreciate that her story was probably very important for some people and respected the inclusion.
  9. Shamelessly crush on the hardest
    • I feel like I am supposed to say Kaladin because I do love him and we are both heterosexuals of the opposite gender. However, I decided when I changed my name to Stormblessed it was not because I want to be Mrs. Main Character. Just because this main character is a boy doesn't mean I, a female reader, need to imagine a romantic relationship with him to imagine a one-ness between us. However, if I am not crushing on Kaladin, then I am not crushing on any Stormlight characters. (All that said, if Kaladin were a real human, yes please; box him up and ship him over stat.) 
  10. Is most like someone you know IRL
    • I can't seem to un-imagine Dalinar in the body of my church overseer, who is a retired detective and former Navy MA (military police). He's great in front of a crowd but super awkward/unsure of how to be a regular non-military person in casual situations. :lol:
    • Runnerup: I have had many Renarin-like friends in my life.
4 hours ago, Theoryspren said:

10. Again I feel like I know an Adolin because most people are Adolin.

This is the sweetest thing. You must know many wonderful people. :wub:

Edited by Sara Stormblessed
Editing out SH spoilers

13 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

Hm. Hard one. I like Jasnah in books, but I'd hate her IRL, because she's a perfectionist and must win every conversation. 

Probably Hoid, because he's empathic, not bossy, and knows a lot of lore. ^^

Or Pattern, for same reasons.

Like a half of them... Navani, Raboniel, Venli, also Adolin even if he's very different than me. And Renarin. And probably forgot some of them.

It changes with time. Lately it's Navani, Raboniel, Taravangian... whoever gets most lore dumps+has an interesting personality. Also Lopen is fun.

Mraize. What's his deal exactly? 

Lopen maybe? I'm not sure. Lopen, shallan, Lift, Cryptics in general,...

I love how 17S has no downvote-reputation system. ^^

…Kaladin.

Probably for having all of my personality faults and some of my other issues and getting storming rewarded for them. Also for being extraverted and charismatic while depressed which for me is totally like putting toasts with cheese to a sideways toaster and pulling them out beautifully toasted and similar tutorials (hint: don't try. It won't work.) or all the "how to draw X tutorials where they draw a circle, and a squiggle and suddenly get a beautiful, detailed portrait.

OK, Sadeas too and some of the other. And a couple honorspren. And Szeth, for whining all the time and being emo, instead of focusing on the cool lore infodumps. ;)

But mostly Kaladin. 

Venli. Because she actually messed up due to her faults, not just has faults + gets punished for random, unrelated reasons. Also, I can totally see myself doing all the mess she did.

That's different from 2? Anyway, a lot of them.

I'm married. :P

OK, I guess Hoid, because parts of him remind me of my husband, especially his GMing persona (particularly Hoid-as-himself, not Hoid-as-Wit).

Hoid, especially in his Wit persona (not my husband, another friend feels a lot like a more sleepy Wit), Adolin, Jasnah. All people I played ttRPGs with. 

Also, both Venli and Renerin has a lot in common with myself.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:23 AM, AquaRegia said:

Kaladin and Adolin, obviously! 

Probably Moash tbh, people are vindictive and not necessarily selfish but self-centred

Jasnah, I looked forward to chapters with her a lot in RoW

Cultivation and Ba-Ado-Mishram, Taravangian too

Shallan made me laugh more than the Lopen, even though I disliked her at points. Her jokes aren't that terrible, I find her funny

Sadeas, Amaram, Roshone, Hashal and Matal, Gaz too, as well as Elhokar, oh and Sheler

Kaladin 

Shalash and Vasher

(Edit: To clarify, because we haven't seen much of her character yet, I mean that often stories have two kinds of protagonists (not counting anti-heroes and such). Picture the first one as the saviour, the quintessential hero, helping others, and the second one as someone who's seeking their own freedom, away from whatever metaphorical chains that bind them. Yeah, I'm not good at explaining this stuff, but hopefully y'all get the gist. Usually we get one type or the other. Shalash went from the first to the second type, and might in the future start to go back to the first type but hopefully in moderation, eventually finding a balance between helping others and herself. It's the fact that they got tired that makes me relate to them and feel they're more realistic. Brandon has already written another character like this: Vasher, whom I also like for the same reasons.

I don't really crush on any of the Stormlight characters, though Adolin, Kaladin & young Dalinar were apparently hot

Navani style diplomats

Edited by Honorless

1)      would like to be friends with most: Adolin

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation: Adolin

3)      enjoy reading about most: Thaidakar, Shallan and Adolin. Fortunately their plots seem to run together. I also find TOdium quite interesting, especially now. And Rysn. I like reading about Rysn.

4)      find most confusing/intriguing: Hoid and Thaidakar. Also Cultivation.

5)      find makes you laugh the most: Thaidakar, but not in this series (because we haven’t seen him yet). Mostly in his novella, but he has good lines in most of his scenes. I love the fact that the Cosmere’s motto came from him looking for a bottle of decent wine.

6)      would like to punch in the face: Hoid and Thaidakar. I don’t think this needs an explanation. I’ll settle for having them in one room again; they’ll do it for me. (WoA cage match 2!) Jasnah, on occasion. Kaladin, on occasion. Usually when he’s dominating the plot which is way. too. OFTEN!

7)      personally relate to most: Shallan. We’re both artists. Also, Raboniel. I know what it’s like to have a child with Cognitive issues. And I know what it’s like to have to make the decision to end her life if it’s the best thing for her. (Fortunately, I didn’t have to.)

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic: Adolin, Gavinor and Navani. Also Rysn.

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest: Adolin.

10)    is most like someone you know IRL: Jasnah. She reminds me of my mother. Adolin: I have a similar friend. Shallan reminds me of me, minus the DID.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

1)      would like to be friends with most

Navani. I would love something along the lines of weekly 1 on 1 fabrial lessons.

2)      feel is most believable in terms of motivation

Lift. It is very natural to be afraid of change. Especially the change of growing up.

3)      enjoy reading about most

Shallan. Her relationships with her personas are so fascinating.

4)      find most confusing/intriguing

Renarin. What is going on with the corrupted bond?

5)      find makes you laugh the most

Wit. I don’t feel the need for reasoning.

6)      would like to punch in the face

Moash. Still no reasoning required.

7)      personally relate to most

Renarin again. Totally feel the whole socially awkward thing.

8)      feel is emotionally most realistic

Elhokar. Switching between positive and negative feelings of his skill as a king. Also the paranoia due to seeing spren.

9)      shamelessly crush on the hardest

Not really any of them. If you’re allowing characters outside the Stormlight Archive, Vin.

Jasnah. Specifically, the political moves she made after becoming queen.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:12 AM, Eri said:

Also for being extraverted and charismatic while depressed which for me is totally like putting toasts with cheese to a sideways toaster and pulling them out beautifully toasted and similar tutorials (hint: don't try. It won't work.) or all the "how to draw X tutorials where they draw a circle, and a squiggle and suddenly get a beautiful, detailed portrait.

Do you mean that you don't believe a person can be externally extraverted and charismatic while being internally depressed or do you mean that this is just a combination that you personally do not experience? 

Edited by Sara Stormblessed

Thank you so much, EVERYONE, for all your fantastic responses!  I laughed at many (especially the punches), and understand all of them.  I :wub: you all!

What I heard from @Eri was "Kaladin seems to have all the same problems I do... but he ends up as a rich, powerful, famous, popular superhero, and I'm still a piece of crem.  What does that say about me?"  I think that's an understandable feeling.  But it's also possible to say "here's a person like me who made it... so maybe I can too."  Sometimes attitude is everything.

10 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

Thank you so much, EVERYONE, for all your fantastic responses!  I laughed at many (especially the punches), and understand all of them.  I :wub: you all!

What I heard from @Eri was "Kaladin seems to have all the same problems I do... but he ends up as a rich, powerful, famous, popular superhero, and I'm still a piece of crem.  What does that say about me?"  I think that's an understandable feeling.  But it's also possible to say "here's a person like me who made it... so maybe I can too."  Sometimes attitude is everything.

Yes, this.

Except I'm not sure if it's attitude, or just  I have a different way of connecting with characters than most people. Unless a character (even a PoV one) is very similar to me in their way of thinking (and Kaladin isn't, for example because he's an extravert), I see them as a different person, not project myself into them or see them as "I could be this". I see them as "other people are like this" kind of real person.

May be a Renarin-spectrum thing, may be just me not being a nice person (which is true anyway), IDK. 

BTW I am better now and less a piece of crem than I've been, but still, no magic fairy, no fanclub, not many friends and they fail to intervene a\with OP magic with exact right moments. And I have a great love life (happily married for 15+ years), instead of off-screen break-ups :):P 

Thank you for this analysis anyway, it was really insightful. 

@Eri it's interesting you see Kaladin as an extrovert.  My sweetie and I were discussing him and she sees him as an introvert who has learned how to "play a role", in this case, the military leader.  I find I agree.  I'm definitely more introverted, yet I was a successful high school teacher for many years; I was able to play the "role" of the high-energy people person in order to get my job done, even though it wasn't really who I was... and of course I was exhausted at the end of every day and needed serious alone time to recharge.  I think the wedding party scene in RoW is illustrative: Adolin, the true extrovert, knows EVERYONE and enjoys learning everything about them.  Kaladin, the introvert, knows all about the people under his command... but is unaware of who's getting married, or even that it was a wedding party.

P.S.:  I was today years old when I learned that "extravert" and "extrovert" are both acceptable spellings!

31 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

@Eri it's interesting you see Kaladin as an extrovert.  My sweetie and I were discussing him and she sees him as an introvert who has learned how to "play a role", in this case, the military leader.  I find I agree.  I'm definitely more introverted, yet I was a successful high school teacher for many years; I was able to play the "role" of the high-energy people person in order to get my job done, even though it wasn't really who I was... and of course I was exhausted at the end of every day and needed serious alone time to recharge.  I think the wedding party scene in RoW is illustrative: Adolin, the true extrovert, knows EVERYONE and enjoys learning everything about them.  Kaladin, the introvert, knows all about the people under his command... but is unaware of who's getting married, or even that it was a wedding party.

P.S.:  I was today years old when I learned that "extravert" and "extrovert" are both acceptable spellings!

I think it's less about introversion and extroversion and more that Kal has been clinically depressed for a while, has buckets of PTSD, and likely has had SAD from a very young age.  He seems to really bloom around friends, and seems to get moodier the more isolated he is.  But with all those traumatic experiences and underlying issues, he's going to find it harder to initiate social contact on a friendly level than even the other Bridge  Four guys do.  

Which is of course why he needs an Adolin Kholin in his life, but then again we all need an Adolin to hug us, take us out for drinks that turn into an impromptu attempt to get us laid, and go completely, ridiculously, unnecessarily over the top in our defense when somebody wrongs us.  

Or in other words, I fully expect Shallan to recover much faster than Kaladin because she has more Adolin in her life and he is good for her.  

@GroundPetrel this makes a ton of sense, thanks.  Certainly depression and isolation feed each other in a vicious cycle for LOTS of folks.

Q: Can one have SAD on a planet with no real seasons?  LOL

1 hour ago, GroundPetrel said:

Which is of course why he needs an Adolin Kholin in his life, but then again we all need an Adolin to hug us, take us out for drinks that turn into an impromptu attempt to get us laid, and go completely, ridiculously, unnecessarily over the top in our defense when somebody wrongs us.  

AMEN.  Truer words were never spoken!

5 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

@GroundPetrel this makes a ton of sense, thanks.  Certainly depression and isolation feed each other in a vicious cycle for LOTS of folks.

Q: Can one have SAD on a planet with no real seasons?  LOL

AMEN.  Truer words were never spoken!

Kal is explicitly stated to feel like crap during the Weeping, which is a slow gloomy time of clouds and boring miserable drizzle.   That sounds a lot like SAD to me.  :)

If we could clone Adolin a hundred times we just might have enough of him for all of our Radiants to be in functional shape all of the time.  XD

On 1/8/2021 at 0:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

@Bearer of all agonies welcomes new sharders in the “Introduce yourself” forum with the question “who is your favorite character?”  This got me thinking… it’s impossible to pick one, because there are so many different ways someone can be a favorite.  But what if we break up some of the individual criteria?  Then it might make sense.  So I made a thing:

1) Syl (I don't need to explain.)

2) Dalinar (I can see someone in history trying to unite the world.)

3) Jasnah, Dalinar, and Stormfather. Oh, and Szeth.

4) Lift. (She's... Lift.)

5) Nightblood (Every line they say is gold.)

6) Amaram (hypocritical bastard.)

7) Adolin (I would also like to punch my parents in the face but don't.)

8) Kal (Depression! SAD!)

9) Adolin, Szeth (Looks-wise, not personality.), Leshwi, Jasnah, and Veil. (Okay, Adolin is someone I would like to be in a relationship the most, Szeth would just be a $#^@, I think I could get along with Veil, and I would like to think I would get along great with Leshwi and Jasnah, but I doubt it. They would probably never give me a passing glance.)

10) Shallan (Bad relationship with parents that caused trauma? Boy, am I familiar with someone like that.)

Edited by Aspiring Writer

On 1/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

7)      personally relate to most – WANTED to say Navani, but not gonna lie, it’s Sebarial.  Smart enough to be fat and lazy in a war for the end of the world?  He’s like my spirit animal.

Sebarial is a good choice and you should feel good.  

I storming lost it in WOR when the Everstorm was going and all hope was nearly lost and Sebarial was like "Oh, Da-linar!  I just so happened to see your army and some dessert  blowing past, I couldn't let such delights go to waste!" and Palona is just reading a novel in the middle of the apocalypse without a care in the world.  

Damn but there are so many great side characters in these books, I can't pick a favorite XD

3 hours ago, GroundPetrel said:

reading a novel in the middle of the apocalypse without a care in the world.  

Let's face it, we would do the same if it was a Cosmere book. XD

Also wait, @AquaRegia is this specially for SA or all Cosmere?

Edited by Aspiring Writer

10 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Also wait, @AquaRegia is this specially for SA or all Cosmere?

I think it’s supposed to be SA only. Fortunately, Thaidakar is a Stormlight character, so I get to pick him anyway.

(My current answers to favorite character questions: SA - Thaidakar; Cosmere - Kelsier. Works out very well.)

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I think it’s supposed to be SA only. Fortunately, Thaidakar is a Stormlight character, so I get to pick him anyway.

(My current answers to favorite character questions: SA - Thaidakar; Cosmere - Kelsier. Works out very well.)

ah yes, you are correct.

On 1/8/2021 at 0:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

Missed that the first time.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Well yes.  That's just logic.  

I nearly got pancaked in NYC once because I was reading Words of Radiance and didn't notice that a light changed as I started walking across the street.  In my defense, Kaladin was dueling the Assassin in White with a spear and just enough Stormlight to be a badass without glowing, so I was low-key distracted.  

Edited by GroundPetrel

On 1/8/2021 at 1:53 PM, AquaRegia said:

1) Adolin

2) I'm gonna go with Taravangian

3) As of RoW, definitely Navani

4) Szeth

5) Maybe Rock? Honestly, I think most of Sanderson's humor in all of his books is just too two-dimensional for me. 

6) Moash. The answer is Moash. Right??

7) Oh, this is hard. Maybe pre-Oathbringer Shallan? 

8) Off the top of my head, Navani

9) Adolin. Definitely.

10) Mmmm, probably Dalinar