Shardplate spren

Tacitus

So we're shown in ROW that windrunner shardplate is formed from windspren, which are shown to be similar in many ways to honorspren. What would the plate-spren of other orders be?

Edit: I was looking through the coppermind, and the elsecaller plate-spren are logicspren

Edited by Omi the Counselor

Logicspren - Elsecallers

Creationspren - Lightweavers

Gloryspren - Bondsmiths

Flamespren or Decayspren - Dustbringer

Lifespren - Edgedancers

Gravitation spren other times called Luckspren - Skybreakers

These are my theories and the theories of others on similar threads.

Edited by Theoryspren

Ok, here's my personal list of what I think the 10 Platespren varieties are.

Windrunners - Windspren

Skybreakers - Gravityspren/Gravitationspren/Luckspren/whateverspren it actually is called

Dustbringers - Flamespren (they have Ashspren as their main spren, Flames make ash out of plant matter at least...)

Edgedancers - Lifespren, since they seem to be the most healing-oriented order.

Truthwatchers - Concentrationspren (logicspren has been confirmed for Elsecallers, and this still suits their generally scholarly nature)

Lightweavers - Creationspren

Elsecallers - Logicspren

Willshapers - Joyspren (because what would be more joyful than being free? Also I could see this being thematically appropriate for Venli.)

Stonewards - Painspren

Bondsmiths - Gloryspren

Lightweavers and Elsecallers are confirmed what was said above.

Here seems to be the general consensus:

Skybreakers: either Luckspren or groundspren

Dustbringers: either flamespren or decayspren

Edgedancers: lifespren

Truthwatchers: either lifespren or concentrationspren

Willshapers: there was something most people agreed on, but I can’t remember it.

Stonewards: Also can’t remember

Bondsmiths are practically confirmed to be gloryspren.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a crazy theory about this, so this may not work, but would all radiants of the same order need to have the same lesser spren in their plate?

For example, creationspren would make complete sense for Shallan's plate, and many other artistic Lightweavers, but what if you have a Lightweaver who isn't artistic in that way? Could they use a different spren that better fits them? For example could a musicspren be used instead, or even something completely different? Similarly, Logicspren make complete sense for Jasnah, but another Elsecaller might not be as logical. 

So could the spren used be related to the individual radiant and what brings them joy? Flying on the wind brings Kaladin joy, so windspren, Logic brings Jasnah joy so logic spren, drawing brings Shallan joy so creation spren, doing something great/impactful brings Dalinar joy so gloryspren. Some types of spren would certainly be more common for certain orders, just wondering if they could sometimes be different. 

This may have already been disproven, but I'm just throwing it out there and looking for other's thoughts on this theory.

6 hours ago, Inkspren_K said:

I had a crazy theory about this, so this may not work, but would all radiants of the same order need to have the same lesser spren in their plate?

For example, creationspren would make complete sense for Shallan's plate, and many other artistic Lightweavers, but what if you have a Lightweaver who isn't artistic in that way? Could they use a different spren that better fits them? For example could a musicspren be used instead, or even something completely different? Similarly, Logicspren make complete sense for Jasnah, but another Elsecaller might not be as logical. 

So could the spren used be related to the individual radiant and what brings them joy? Flying on the wind brings Kaladin joy, so windspren, Logic brings Jasnah joy so logic spren, drawing brings Shallan joy so creation spren, doing something great/impactful brings Dalinar joy so gloryspren. Some types of spren would certainly be more common for certain orders, just wondering if they could sometimes be different. 

This may have already been disproven, but I'm just throwing it out there and looking for other's thoughts on this theory.

Its not about what brings joy to Radiant, its about Connection between true and lesser Spren. You can see similarities in Honorspren and Windspren apearence, also Creationspren and Cryptics are similar in some way (constant changing shapes), Mistspren and Logicspren as well.

1 hour ago, Bzhydack said:

Its not about what brings joy to Radiant, its about Connection between true and lesser Spren. You can see similarities in Honorspren and Windspren apearence, also Creationspren and Cryptics are similar in some way (constant changing shapes), Mistspren and Logicspren as well.

I know this is generally what most people think, but my question was just if this had ever been explicitly stated anywhere. Do you have a source for this Connection between true and lesser spren? If you do that answers my question. I see the connection between windspren and honorspren, but to me the other connections are a little more questionable. 

Maybe a better question is if the lesser spren are Connected to the true spren or Connected to the Radiant? If they're connected to the true spren, then it makes sense that it would be based on the true spren type, but if they're Connected directly to the Radiant, it seems like they could be different types for different Radiants... Maybe?

Edited by Inkspren_K

9 minutes ago, Inkspren_K said:

I know this is generally what most people think, but my question was just if this had ever been explicitly stated anywhere. Do you have a source for this Connection between true and lesser spren? If you do that answers my question. I see the connection between windspren and honorspren, but to me the other connections are a little more questionable. 

Maybe a better question is if the lesser spren are Connected to the true spren or Connected to the Radiant? If they're connected to the true spren, then it makes sense that it would be based on the true spren type, but if they're Connected directly to the Radiant, it seems like they could be different types for different Radiants... Maybe?

As you wish:

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)
#5 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Dominic Field

If Kaladin's Shardplate is made of windspren, would the other Orders also have Shardplate made of lesser spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes!

Dominic Field

Would Lightweavers have Plate made up of creationspren, for instance?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they would. You should be able to guess, for the major Orders that we've spent a lot of time with, what their Shardplate is made out of. There have been hints from book one what those are. Theoretically, you should be able to kind of put that together. You're not gonna be able to put it together for some of the Orders, 'cause we just haven't gotten into it as much; we haven't spent enough time with them. But you should be able to start putting this all together in relationship to the Shardplate. At least there's three or four of them that I think I've made very obvious.

Brandon says clearly, it depends on Orders, what mean on True Spren.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:16 AM, Inkspren_K said:

Elsecallers are considered to be the most scholarly order. They are generally chosen by inkspren because of their logic skills.

18 hours ago, basement_boi said:

Elsecallers are considered to be the most scholarly order. They are generally chosen by inkspren because of their logic skills.

Based on the WOB above it does sound like Elsecallers will always use logicspren, but they actually aren't the most scholarly, and can have a wide variety of types of people. From https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-ten-orders-of-knights-radiant/

"Elsecaller oaths are, like those of the Lightweavers or Skybreakers, themed toward the individual...Because of this, the Order is open to many different types, so long as they want to improve themselves...They seek self-improvement and personal betterment in their lives, but aren’t limited to one specific theme or set of Ideals. This makes them one of the most open and welcoming of orders, though they do tend to attract those who are less flamboyant. They have their share of scholars, and often a large number of theologians, but also attract those who are interested in leadership."

Truthwatchers are generally regarded as the most scholarly:

"The Truthwatchers are seen as quiet, largely known as the most scholarly Order of Knights Radiant. "

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 6:48 PM, yulyulk said:

Logicspren are little stormclouds, right? The portrait of Pailiah in RoW has logicspren flying around her. But she's actually the patron Herald of the Truthwatchers, not Elsecallers ... *thinking emoji*

The portraits are in-universe things, they're inexact, for example Veden's skin is a bit too fair for someone who look Alethi

On 08/01/2021 at 7:06 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

Skybreakers - Gravityspren/Gravitationspren/Lucspren/whateverspren it actually is called

Gravitationsprens and Lucksprens are not the same thing. I would bet on gravitationspren because there's already far to much things bounding with mandras

1 hour ago, C_rockets said:

What is your reasoning behind Painspren for the Stonewards? The rest I could all see but feel a bit baffled on this one.

Mostly because Taln, in all honesty. Enduring so much pain for so long...

But there could totally be something like Pebblespren or something that's like a Windspren equivalent to a Peakspren.

1 hour ago, C_rockets said:

What is your reasoning behind Painspren for the Stonewards? The rest I could all see but feel a bit baffled on this one.

Painspren is the spren for Warform and Taln is the Herald of War so it makes at least some sense. Honestly we don't have much information on Truthwatchers' Willshapers' and Stonewards' spren at this point, were Venli and Renarin reported to often attract a specific type of spren?

• 4 weeks later...

My question is nearly similar:  Given that each platespren are made in different shapes and properties, and are attracted to different things, does anyone suppose that they will provide their radiant with different benefits or perks?

WIndspren are faster, and thus is makes sense that they can fly speedily to protect others. Do Creationspren offer some advantage more than Windspren? Thoughts?

10 hours ago, Watchcry said:

My question is nearly similar:  Given that each platespren are made in different shapes and properties, and are attracted to different things, does anyone suppose that they will provide their radiant with different benefits or perks?

WIndspren are faster, and thus is makes sense that they can fly speedily to protect others. Do Creationspren offer some advantage more than Windspren? Thoughts?

Not think so. Shardblades all have the same properties, despite fact they are technicly different Spren. Is safe assume that in Shardplate's case would be simmilar.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:11 PM, Watchcry said:

WIndspren are faster, and thus is makes sense that they can fly speedily to protect others. Do Creationspren offer some advantage more than Windspren? Thoughts

Ooo I like this line of thinking - I wonder if creationspren would be more able to take on different shapes, as they’re always changing shape. Like, quickly changing into snow boots, a shard shield, or a glider.

On 2/7/2021 at 6:12 PM, mathiau said:

The portraits are in-universe things, they're inexact, for example Veden's* skin is a bit too fair for someone who look Alethi

(*I think it's Vedel or Vedev, not Veden. Vedens are peeps from Jah Keved.)

In the portraits, how many of the Heralds are portrayed as Alethi or Veden and how many are portrayed as Makabaki/Shin/something else? I remember that Dalinar was surprised at Jezrien's appearance (I think Jezrien looked Makabaki? maybe? I forget what exactly he looked like. I know he didn't look Alethi/Veden.)

16 minutes ago, Tani said:

(*I think it's Vedel or Vedev, not Veden. Vedens are peeps from Jah Keved.)

In the portraits, how many of the Heralds are portrayed as Alethi or Veden and how many are portrayed as Makabaki/Shin/something else? I remember that Dalinar was surprised at Jezrien's appearance (I think Jezrien looked Makabaki? maybe? I forget what exactly he looked like. I know he didn't look Alethi/Veden.)

Jezrien looked Alethi with a slight darker skin than usual, the issue was he was darkeyes

The portraits are there, I'd say three Alethi, two Makabaki, one Veden, one Reshi, one Shin one half Makabaki half Alethi and one without portrait

Edited by mathiau

Just now, mathiau said:

Jezrien looked Alethi, the issue was he was darkeyes

The portraits are there, I'd say three Alethi, two Makabaki, one Veden, one Reshi, one Shin one half Makabaki half Alethi and one without portrait

Why would he be darkeyes? Don't the Honorblades turn your eyes light, like Moash's dead Shardblade or Kaladin's live Sylblade?

Just now, Tani said:

Why would he be darkeyes? Don't the Honorblades turn your eyes light, like Moash's dead Shardblade or Kaladin's live Sylblade?

They did not, otherwise Taln would have had orange (yellow?) eyes when he arrived at Alethkar but he had dark-brown eyes