Ideals

• 2 weeks later...

Relevant WoBs:

Questioner

What do you base the codes on, from The Stormlight books? Do you have anything specific--

Brandon Sanderson

I don't have anything specific. It's kind like a general-- lot's of different things, looking at bushido and knightly code and things like this and just kind of building my own out of it. The words "Life before death" were like one of the first things I thought of for the book and I'm like "I gotta use that. It's going in there." And eventually it grew out of that.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Marethyu316

I noticed that the Third Ideals have a similar theme to them. Is that intentional?

Brandon Sanderson

They do, that is is intentional. They won't all exactly go along those lines, but I'm trying to theme them, as best I can, in groups. So all the First ones, all the Second ones, particularly a lot of the Third ones have a similar--

Marethyu316

"Those I hate," or "Even those I'd rather not listen to"?

Brandon Sanderson

Watch for more of that, how about that.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

In other words, they're loosely inspired by some chivalric codes and there's a rough pattern the different Ideals follow, but it's mostly Brandon inventing them.

Edited by Weltall