Hoid hiding from Shards

Ba-Ado-Fisherman

So in the RoW epilogue, Hoid finally has a confrontation with Odium.  Funnily enough, the only reason Odium was able to speak with he is because Hoid chose to reveal himself.  Are there any theories into why exactly Hoid is able to hide from Shards so well?  Harmony even brings this up twice in letters to Hoid.  Also, Endowment seems to have noticed immediatly when Hoid was on Nalthis... Why would she be able to sense his presence while other Shards can't?

10 minutes ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

So in the RoW epilogue, Hoid finally has a confrontation with Odium.  Funnily enough, the only reason Odium was able to speak with he is because Hoid chose to reveal himself.  Are there any theories into why exactly Hoid is able to hide from Shards so well?  Harmony even brings this up twice in letters to Hoid.  Also, Endowment seems to have noticed immediatly when Hoid was on Nalthis... Why would she be able to sense his presence while other Shards can't?

Maybe because he has Breath? It’s her Investiture.

So... we know he has a Yolen form of lightweaving... perhaps there is a connection there between his Yolen-based magic and hiding even from shards.

Or... on a completely different train of thought. He was involved in the shattering, maybe they figured out a way of hiding their presence from Adonalsium in order to enact their plan, and that method still works for Hoid to this day?

Edited by Lunu’anaki

Mistborn Spoilers, but 

Spoiler

Bleeder was able to hide from Harmony using hemalurgy 

so maybe he does something similar

I think @Kingsdaughter613 has a good idea on this. Vasher was able to suppress his divine breath from others' senses, and we know the two have interacted. Maybe Vasher taught him, or vice versa. Maybe you can use Breath to hide from senses somehow

1 minute ago, stonewalker16 said:

Mistborn Spoilers, but 

Hide contents

Bleeder was able to hide from Harmony using hemalurgy 

so maybe he does something similar

I think @Kingsdaughter613 has a good idea on this. Vasher was able to suppress his divine breath from others' senses, and we know the two have interacted. Maybe Vasher taught him, or vice versa. Maybe you can use Breath to hide from senses somehow

I meant that Hoid’s Breath is why Endowment can find him.

Shards aren't Omniscient. If they aren't looking for Hoid, it's probably easy for him to escape notice, considering he's just another heavily Invested Human. He can use aluminum or Allomancy or Breaths to hide his Investiture.

I don't think having Breaths makes someone stick out to Endowment. Nearly everyone on Nalthis has Breaths. Many have hundreds. Someone with 200 Breaths going through Endowments Perpendicularity might be an uncommon thing, but not rare. Someone hiding their Investiture levels while going through the perpendicularity might be even less uncommon.

Hoid's Fortune ability probably allows him to know when good times to go through perpendicularities (when the Shard isn't looking) occur.

He has lots of tools.

17 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Maybe because he has Breath? It’s her Investiture.

Mistborn Secret History spoilers:

Spoiler

Hoid is a Mistborn because he ate a bead of lerasium (Preservation's Investiture). Since Preservation is part of Harmony, it seems like Harmony ought to be able to see Hoid according to this theory.

15 minutes ago, Lightdancer said:

Mistborn Secret History spoilers:

Hide contents

Hoid is a Mistborn because he ate a bead of lerasium (Preservation's Investiture). Since Preservation is part of Harmony, it seems like Harmony ought to be able to see Hoid according to this theory.

I would think only when the Lerasium is actually being burned. Breath is ongoing Investiture; the regular Connection seems to be able to be hidden. Once Hoid consumed the Lerasium he wasn’t utilizing Preservation’s Investiture directly.

Breath and Mist are the same type of thing. I’d assume Saze would notice if Hoid started drawing on the Mists.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I would think only when the Lerasium is actually being burned. Breath is ongoing Investiture; the regular Connection seems to be able to be hidden. Once Hoid consumed the Lerasium he wasn’t utilizing Preservation’s Investiture directly.

Or when any other metal is being used, since the power is coming from Harmony.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I’d think only if Saze is paying attention and maybe not even then. It depends on how it works when there’s an intervening step.

And even if Harmony were attuned to listen to any use of Allomancy, Hoid has plenty of other tools and can simply avoid using Allomancy when he's hiding on Scadrial.

15 hours ago, Leuthie said:

And even if Harmony were attuned to listen to any use of Allomancy, Hoid has plenty of other tools and can simply avoid using Allomancy when he's hiding on Scadrial.

Plus, he could be using the same investiture that Bleeder had access to with her spikes in order to let him hide, even if he uses Allomancy

On 07/01/2021 at 7:33 PM, Truthless16 said:

I think it is possible that endowment was bluffing, I'm also pretty sure that there is a WOB that Hoid does not use hemalurgy.

There is indeed

Ruro272 (paraphrased)

Does Hoid have a Hemalurgically charged Nicrosil spike?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It's... unlikely. Hoid would not want to open himself to the influence of Shards so using Hemalurgy on himself is unlikely. Although Hemalurgy is the easiest way to get other powers, he'd more likely do things the hard way.

Minicon 2015 (April 2, 2015)
5 hours ago, stonewalker16 said:

Plus, he could be using the same investiture that Bleeder had access to with her spikes in order to let him hide, even if he uses Allomancy

Bleeder was not using investiture

Argent

Was Harmony unable to find [Bleeder] because the spike was made of this metal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. The spike was what prevented him from being able to find her.

Argent

It wasn't an ability granted by the spike.

Brandon Sanderson

No.

Argent

It was just the material.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

There is a possibility that burning Trellium would hide from shard though. But I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that lerasium spikes would connect less to Ruin than normal spikes so it could just be something similar (couldn't find wobs though)