So some point in the book I remember the Sibling revealed that Soulcasters are the physical manifested bodies of Spren. Obviously, this raises a whole host of questions. Can any intelligent spren manifest as a soulcaster? If so, is this why we have soulcasters that soulcast different essences? If that's true then what spren are used for regrowers? Finally, how does damaging a soulcaster affect the spren that manifests it? 

I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys might have

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Because that's what they do when alive.

Ah, I swear there's a WoB saying that bonded spren can turn into things besides blades, it just requires the right Perception. (Well, maybe he was thinking about shardguns or something when he said that, not Soulcasters.)

But, if Soulcasters are recreanced-spren, wouldn't they be deadeyes? Instead they appear to be sleeping in Shadesmar.

Aether of Night spoilers:

Spoiler

Spren manifesting as soulcasters really reminded me of the aethers (I can't remember the exact name, I think it was the counterpart to Bestarin) that allow humans to become magical constructs and basically become immortal magical machines that perform everyday tasks for the rest of society. It's been a while since I read Aether, so I don't remember the details that well, but I think people were given the option of serving society for eternity in exchange for immortality. Some of the spren could have made a similar choice, becoming tools. Maybe some of the very oldest were tired of living and wanted to slumber forever, but figured out that their essence could still be used to do good and help people.