Deepest ones and a person soulcast into stone

PewterAGoldF

I am a stick.

In other words, it seems that in the act of soulcasting, you already commune with the spren of the object you are transforming, and the Deepest one stipulation is redundant.  

As for the spren of the corpse or stone casting of the corpse having memories of the individual that the corpse used to be... maybe?  

Further thoughts.  

As viewed from the Cognitive Realm of Roshar, living beings appear as a flame, while inanimate objects appear as a bead.  I would expect that upon death, the body becomes a bead, and the rest of the flame becomes the typically short lived cognitive shadow that moves "beyond." 

I would further theorize that all the cognitive memories of the person move on with that cognitive shadow, however the bead spren of the body may retain some memory of the physical experiences that the body had.  The bead probably won't remember what breakfast tasted like, or why they chose to eat leftover lavis bread for their last breakfast, but they may retain the memory that their last breakfast was lavis bread.  

Edited by Serack

7 minutes ago, Serack said:

I would further theorize that all the cognitive memories of the person move on with that cognitive shadow, however the bead spren of the body may retain some memory of the physical experiences that the body had.  

Thanks. This is this was basically what I was thinking too. The person dies (or is already dead) and their mind goes with them in the cognitive, but the stone remembers something.

8 hours ago, PewterAGoldF said:

So a deepest one gets a stone soulcaster and turns a person to stone and then communes with that stone. Do you think that they would have access to that persons memories?

I suspect that soulcasting a person into stone would result in a kind of stone that doesn't have the same kind of special spren that most stone on Roshar has.

9 hours ago, PewterAGoldF said:

So a deepest one gets a stone soulcaster and turns a person to stone and then communes with that stone. Do you think that they would have access to that persons memories?

I think @Serack did a good job explaining why you probably couldn't access a person's memories through their soulcast corpse, but I'm curious about what other "memories" a deepest one might be able to get from once-living stone. When Venli communes with the floor of Urithiru she's able to see almost visions of the people who once inhabited the tower, because the stone itself remembers them. Do deepest ones have this same ability, and if so, what memories does a soulcast statue possess? Does it's memory start the moment it was soulcast or does it retain some of the memories of the corpse? Does Gavilar's statue remember what happened to Gavilar corpse after he died? Does it still retain some vague impressions of the people he spent a lot of time with, kinda like the floor in his office would?

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Serack said:

@PewterAGoldF, in a topic discussing some of these ideas, @mathiau just shared several WoB that are highly relevant to our earlier discussion in this topic.

Thanks! love me some WOBs and also for that interesting thread.

As it relates to this disscussion, i suppose that if a lifeless of a swordsman is better at swords play than a lifeless of a peasant something remains with the body.

If an awakened soulcast statue of a dead swordsman is also better at sword play then we could conclude that whatever stays with lifeless was present in the stone before it was awakened...?