Why does Harmony's Metal Explode?

Aspiring Writer

Okay, me going through the thread talking about Harmony Blades when I started thinking about Ettmetal's (Harmony's Godmetal) properties, like the fact it explodes, making it pretty bad for normal uses people would have for metals. And I know there is the explanation the reason Harmony's metal explodes is because of the powers of Preservation and Ruin being represented and all that, but why would Harmony, the supposed perfect mix of the two shards, be represented in a metal that explodes? Why would it be so reactive? I would think it would be more like a noble gas and just not react with anything. So I see two potential explanations.

Either 1. Ettmetal is more likely the godmetal of Discord, which would make more sense. An explosion seems like a nice representation of discord. However, this doesn't completely work because for now, as it doesn't seem like Sazed is Discord and it might have even been stated that ettmetal is Harmony's god metal. And then there's the fact I tend to push back at the theory that Sazed is Discord because I imagine if he was, it would be very destructive for the Scadrians, but maybe he is more in Discord with himself and is still conscious enough to not end up screwing over the planet he cares about. Something to think about. The other explanation is 

2. the metal is currently symbolizing Sazed's struggle with the powers and that's why it' so reactive right now, because he still hasn't figured out how to deal with the contrasting intents, and the metal will eventually start to change as Sazed gains mastery of his abilities, becoming less and less reactive, as ettmetals abilities seem to be more about it weird storing and realizing of investiture rather than it's reactivity. So maybe one-day Ettmetal, or at least further production of ettmetal, will become stable, like a normal metal.

(Also, random thought that popped in my head, but when Shardblades are summoned, they are covered in condensation, which would be bad for a metal that explodes when in contact with water. Wonder if there's a connection there.)

9 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Okay, me going through the thread talking about Harmony Blades when I started thinking about Ettmetal's (Harmony's Godmetal) properties, like the fact it explodes, making it pretty bad for normal uses people would have for metals. And I know there is the explanation the reason Harmony's metal explodes is because of the powers of Preservation and Ruin being represented and all that, but why would Harmony, the supposed perfect mix of the two shards, be represented in a metal that explodes? Why would it be so reactive? I would think it would be more like a noble gas and just not react with anything. So I see two potential explanations.

Either 1. Ettmetal is more likely the godmetal of Discord, which would make more sense. An explosion seems like a nice representation of discord. However, this doesn't completely work because for now, as it doesn't seem like Sazed is Discord and it might have even been stated that ettmetal is Harmony's god metal. And then there's the fact I tend to push back at the theory that Sazed is Discord because I imagine if he was, it would be very destructive for the Scadrians, but maybe he is more in Discord with himself and is still conscious enough to not end up screwing over the planet he cares about. Something to think about. The other explanation is 

2. the metal is currently symbolizing Sazed's struggle with the powers and that's why it' so reactive right now, because he still hasn't figured out how to deal with the contrasting intents, and the metal will eventually start to change as Sazed gains mastery of his abilities, becoming less and less reactive, as ettmetals abilities seem to be more about it weird storing and realizing of investiture rather than it's reactivity. So maybe one-day Ettmetal, or at least further production of ettmetal, will become stable, like a normal metal.

(Also, random thought that popped in my head, but when Shardblades are summoned, they are covered in condensation, which would be bad for a metal that explodes when in contact with water. Wonder if there's a connection there.)

It's explosive because each "atom" has both Shards' Intent, and you see how reactive that can be at the end of era 1... The Investiture just wants to repel each other so hard that it explodes in the presence of water, or maybe any polar molecule would work.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

It's explosive because each "atom" has both Shards' Intent, and you see how reactive that can be at the end of era 1... The Investiture just wants to repel each other so hard that it explodes in the presence of water, or maybe any polar molecule would work.

I know, I still find that ridiculous. He is Harmony, and his metal should represent that, yet it really doesn't. I said that in the beginning, I know that explanation, but the two powers can be together, Sazed didn't explode when he took the powers, so why should his metal?

I think a big question here is "would two different vessels of the same shard have metals that act differently?"
As far as I know we don't have an answer to that. 

If the metal reflects the vessel, then yes, I would expect ettmetal to be more "harmonius."  But if the metal is just a manifestation of the power itself in physical form, regardless of who holds the power, then it wouldn't surprise me that it's more "discordant."  Given the way ettmetal acts it seems like the second explanation is more likely.  It seems likely that anyone who held Ruin and Preservation would have highly reactive ettmetal as their godmetal, regardless of how they interpreted the shards.  But I don't think we have confirmation on this either way.

Rhythm of War Spoilers:

Spoiler

Is Taravangium (do we have a name yet?) the same thing as Raysium?  Will Taravodium still produce Raysium?  Will it act the same way as Raysium does?  I think we'll get answers in book 5 for this, and they'll probably answer the ettmetal question as well.

Brandon has said that godmetals still get grouped like actual metals. For instance, he's a platinoid. Harmonium is an alkali metal. That doesn't mean it's unstable, just that it's very reactive. This reactiveness i would guess is necessary for how Harmonium interacts with Allomancy and Feruchemy 

3 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Brandon has said that godmetals still get grouped like actual metals. For instance, he's a platinoid. Harmonium is an alkali metal. That doesn't mean it's unstable, just that it's very reactive. This reactiveness i would guess is necessary for how Harmonium interacts with Allomancy and Feruchemy 

I suspect you're right; it must behave like an alkali metal to react in such a way as to produce enough energy to mimic allomancy and feruchemy.