[Sotd2] Whose side are you on

bmcclure7

As a native of a planet 1AU from its star, with an approximately 24-hour day and an approximately 365-day year, with 1g of gravity, I have to root for the people of my sister-planet, especially if that planet has giraffes.  Also, I read Mistborn first, and it's always been first in my heart.  Also, Leras is, as the slang goes, mah boi, and the world he died to save means a lot to me.

I imagine that the people of Scadrial are the aggressors/Invaders/Original-Belligerents, though.  I can hardly imagine Roshar being successfully united for any significant amount of time EXCEPT in the face of an existential threat, so I think they'd be more likely to be the reactive party than the proactive.

I presume that the war is over metals, because metals are shiny and neat, and it's only fair after the King's Wit stole the incredibly rare and shiny Lerasium.

Definitely on the side of Scadrial. I think they would win, and I want them to win. They have the coolest magic systems and the best Shards. I also read Mistborn first so they have always been my passion.

BTW you double posted this thread.

At the moment?  I'm not on a side.  Once we have more information, then I'll make an informed decision.  However, I am somewhat partial to Scadrial, as I agree with the philosophies of the Windrunners and Edgedancers a bit more.

I'm taking this way too seriously, though.  I went through this with Captain America: Civil War as well, never picked a side for real.

Scadrial, because it’s home. And because the main characters don’t make me suicidal (cough, Kaladin, cough). On the other hand, the Survivor is very helpful in fighting through that one week a month... Thanks Kell!

I don’t think Scadrial and Roshar are going to war directly though. I got very strong Cold War vibes from the excerpt. I think what we have are two powerful worlds, with fundamentally opposed philosophies, fighting proxy wars for power and resources but never actually going up against one another directly. Which is far more interesting than a simple war.

14 minutes ago, Aliroz-The-Confused said:

Drat, who gave me a reputation and made me a Darkeyes instead of a Skaa?  This means war, you know!

(In all seriousness, it genuinely does bother me, and I'd rather remain a Skaa).

11 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I wanted to stay a Ghostblood...

You guys can go to your profile settings and change it back to any lower rep title you've had already afaik.

Well yeah, Frustration, a united or semi-united Roshar would almost certainly win in the long run.  Being able to Soulcast materials/food is a logistical advantage which is comparable to cheat codes.  Also, Stormlight Archive is, I'm pretty sure, Mr. Sanderson's favorite, his Magnum opus, the one he's been writing in his head since the nineties at least. 

But Mistborn means more to me.

Edited by Aliroz-The-Confused

3 minutes ago, Aliroz-The-Confused said:

Well yeah, Frustration, a united or semi-united Roshar would almost certainly win in the long run.  Being able to Soulcast materials/food is a logistical advantage which is comparable to cheat codes.  Also, Stormlight Archive is, I'm pretty sure, Mr. Sanderson's favorite, his Magnum opus, the one he's been writing in his head since the nineties at least.

If the Scadrians figure out how to replicate the Bands of Morning, I wouldn't bet against them so easily.

7 minutes ago, Nameless said:

If the Scadrians figure out how to replicate the Bands of Morning, I wouldn't bet against them so easily.

Well, yeah.  Lord Ruler > Everyone and everything, ever (except maybe Shards).  But I think the Bands of Mourning are going to be unique and impossible to replicate, like the Shards themselves, because things of that much power must be carefully controlled, lest the author lose control of the story.

Edited by Aliroz-The-Confused
Added Quote.

Just now, Aliroz-The-Confused said:

Well, yeah.  Lord Ruler > Everyone and everything, ever (except maybe Shards).  But I think the Bands of Mourning are going to be unique and impossible to replicate, like the Shards themselves, because things of that much power must be carefully controlled, lest the author lose control of the story.

Well, they were made somehow.

3 hours ago, Aliroz-The-Confused said:

But Mistborn means more to me.

Stormlight may be his magnum opus but that's because he's always wanted to do an epic fantasy. When Stormlight is over that doesn't mean he'll favor Roshar. Also Allomancy is his favorite magic system he's created so that has a special fondness for him

I have a fondness for both of the worlds. Both Scadrial and Roshar went through a lot, Rashek's Ascension and Catacendre/Ice Death were devastating on Scadrial, the Desolations were devastating on Roshar. Leras was awesome, Preservation and Ruin are awesome. I don't think I'm particularly attached to any of the Vessels of Roshar but their Shardic Intents are cool. The Heralds, Taln in particular suffered so much for the sake of Roshar. Scadrial's Earth analogue, and might be closer to home for you guys in similarities, but Roshar's that for me. So... Roshar it is.

23 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I have a fondness for both of the worlds. Both Scadrial and Roshar went through a lot, Rashek's Ascension and Catacendre/Ice Death were devastating on Scadrial, the Desolations were devastating on Roshar. Leras was awesome, Preservation and Ruin are awesome. I don't think I'm particularly attached to any of the Vessels of Roshar but their Shardic Intents are cool. The Heralds, Taln in particular suffered so much for the sake of Roshar. Scadrial's Earth analogue, and might be closer to home for you guys in similarities, but Roshar's that for me. So... Roshar it is.

Scadrial’s home because it was my entry to the Cosmere. And it’s characters actually help when I’m depressed unlike certain Stormlight characters (cough..Kaladin..cough) who make me suicidal. So Scadrial it is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 8:59 PM, bmcclure7 said:

If you been listening to 17th shard podcast you know that Scadrial and roshar are going to war.  Who has your support and what do you think the war is over.

Can someone elaborate on this? Or at least tell me which episodes of Shardcast I should watch?

Honestly, I can't pick a side without knowing the specifics of the actual war. There are just too many unknowns at this point. If we're picking the favorite planet, though, Roshar all the way. SA is definitely my favorite of Sanderson's works (I like the others too, obviously, but they're not quite the same). The worldbuilding and magic systems both interest me more, and there are so many characters that just statistically you're more likely to have a favorite. Plus, I've always preferred Paladins over Rogues.

13 hours ago, Telantes said:

Can someone elaborate on this? Or at least tell me which episodes of Shardcast I should watch?

The first "chapter" of the Sixth of the Dusk sequel has been revealed. It makes it almost certain that The Ones Above are Scadrians, and we got introduced to a space age Radiant. They appear to not be friendly with each other. It doesn't quite mean that they will be going to war but they are competing for resources

Personally, I don't think it will be full on warfare between the worlds, nor do I think there is enough information to pick a side even if it would. I do have a preference for Scadrial though because I find the magical interactions a lot more interesting.