Secret History Connection Question

mcdcurtis

Question

Hello folks, I had a question about when Kelsier is committing a felony break and enter at the Ire base.  So it's shown to us that at first he does not understand the language being spoken and as he spends time in the base he is slowly able to understand the language (presumably a form of sellish).  So my question is: why is Kelsier becoming Connected with Sel at this moment, my current understanding is that it has something to do with the "blue energy" being pumped into the wall he's scaling which I am assuming is some distilled form of the Dor.  So Kelsier is absorbing some of the Dor as he climbs the wall thus building his connection enough to understand the language. 

This is my first time posting in the Q&A forms, sorry if this question has been answered a million times over.

Edited by mcdcurtis

1 answer to this question

Your guess is pretty accurate. The Dor saturates Sel's Subastral and the blue energy is basically a pipeline of Investiture back to Sel. As he's climbing the stone he's phasing into it and feeling the history of the stone like how Dalinar hears the stones in Oathbringer. Doing this is Connecting him to Sel