Who is the Shard's biggest Lord of the Rings nerd?

Tesh

3 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

the people speak @Channelknight Fadran we will duel on at Gondolin as the Elves and Dragons fall.

You forgot Balrogs! The Fall of Gondolin is notable for being the first time Balrogs fell in battle! 

Someone hasn't been reviewing their Book of Lost Tales! :P

Edited by Orlionra

7 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Wait

Just how much has Tolkien Written 

I thought it was just LoTR and the Sulmirilion

*Silmarillion

Well there is also

• Unfinished Tales
  • Book of Lost Tales
  • The Thirteen books of The Complete HIstory of MIddle Earth
  • The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
  • We have "Tolkiens Letters"

And a bunch of others

Edited by Frustration

50 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Wait

Just how much has Tolkien Written 

I thought it was just LoTR and the Sulmirilion

Well, if we're being technical, the Silmarillion was written by Guy Gaverial Kay with the editorial help of Christopher Tolkien and some unfinished manuscripts from Tolkien.

Christopher Tolkien would later present his father's writings and the evolution of his legendarium through Unfinished Tales and the twelve volume History of Middle Earth. 

Much later, bits and peices from the previous were concatenated together to form the three books "Children of Hurín", "Beren and Luthien" and "The Fall of Gondolin".

So, technically, Tolkien wrote all that. As far as completed works set in Middle Earth? Just The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. That the Silmarillion is considered "canon" is due to its availability over the decades, as Christopher's understanding of what his father wanted to do with those stories evolved as he went through the various unfinished manuscripts. The latest understanding was that Tolkien wanted to do a loose trilogy (the final three books I mentioned) and who knows what the other stuff would have become, if anything. 

So yeah, anything outside of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings is both authoritative and not authoritative because Tolkien did not finalize any of it, his son changed his mind on what was meant to be and that's all we got! 

1 minute ago, Orlionra said:

Then I will continue to add bizarre and random qualifications to being a true Lord of the Rings nerd! 

You're not a TRUE Lord of the Rings nerd unless you've played the Middle Earth CCG released by Iron Crown Enterprises! 

What makes you qualified to add qualifications?

Just now, Orlionra said:

Because my qualifications are so bizarre that they would never be taken seriously as such soooo maybe tone down your policing? 

I was making a joke about the steriotipical gatekeeping in the fandom but ok.

30 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I was making a joke about the steriotipical gatekeeping in the fandom but ok.

Seems like my internet experience involves a bunch of encounters with the stereotypical gatekeeping types, so I defaulted to that view. 

I'm sorry I overreacted. 

Edited by Orlionra

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, Orlionra said:

Then I will continue to add bizarre and random qualifications to being a true Lord of the Rings nerd! 

You're not a TRUE Lord of the Rings nerd unless you've played the Middle Earth CCG released by Iron Crown Enterprises! 

then I lost. but whatever. I have been analyzing stormlight to catch up with y'all and have educated arguments with y'all. 

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

then I lost. but whatever. I have been analyzing stormlight to catch up with y'all and have educated arguments with y'all. 

Don't let me frighten you:lol:, I haven't read anything Tolkien related in over a decade, it'd be very easy to bring up something I don't know from basic texts. 

Just now, Orlionra said:

Don't let me frighten you:lol:, I haven't read anything Tolkien related in over a decade, it'd be very easy to bring up something I don't know from basic texts. 

well horde scum (its not me, its your title) I only started reading him three or four years ago.

19 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

well horde scum (its not me, its your title) I only started reading him three or four years ago.

No problem, I think that, despite generational differences in experience, we can all agree that Tolkien's greatest contribution to international society was: 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Singing Orcs

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 7:52 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

So I'm going to defer my silmaril-clad crown to you guys here until I actually finish all those books I bought from B&N. I got Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, uhh... I think some other ones? Idk. In any case, I'm still a league beneath y'all.

well, I have only read one of the 14 history of middle earth books so yeah, I am still not the ultimate fan.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, Orlionra said:

But it might make you the biggest fan on the Shard!

Hide contents

I have read 5 of the 14, mwahaha! 

oh boo, I am reading book of lost tales part one now so I am catching up now, (the other one I read was the return of the shadow).

So, this was the latest topic I found about the Legendarium, so maybe I can continue the discussion from the Sanderson Memes topic here.

First, I'll join Frustration in claiming that Kingsdaughter deserves the title of the Shard's biggest LotR fan. One of the reasons for that is the fact I find her referencing the Legendarium and entering discussions about it more often than, say, Fadran.

About Bombadil, my crazy theory was that he might be the Vala Tulkas, but it makes completely no sense. So now, I think he's just a master (sorry if I used the wrong word, I've read LotR in Hebrew).

And now for something completely different: can anyone here tell me where, when and to who Gandalf said he was called Olòrin? It happened somewhere in LotR.

Edit: @Malim, I continued stuff here. And you should've read on at the meme topic. Yes, Melian and Thingol have a daughter, Lúthien.

Edited by Trutharchivist