Who is the Shard's biggest Lord of the Rings nerd?

Tesh

Returning us to the legendarium that is supposed to be at hand (:P and lol)

Bombadil is Tolkien is probably the best interpretation I've ever seen of Bombadil, and kinda the line I'd probably lean with if I was forced to have a 'take' on him.  He's weird, inexplicable, I don't have a problem that a world as rich as Arda would have the inexplicable within it.  I like the character, even.

Look, there is only one true interpretation of Tom Bombadil, and knowing this will prove that I am the best Tolkien fan, even though I thought that tLotR was way to long and way to slow. 

Tom Bombadil is the reincarnated spirit of Gandalf, after having retaken physical form after his inevitable demise. He traveled through time to help the travelers on their way, while acting as aloof as possible. 

I'm not going to try to contend for the title because I still haven't read the Silmarillion, but I do think I have the best LotR Quizlet account. My school makes us use this website for studying, and people always look so confused when they first see my account enrolled in their classes and it's this:

Spoiler

5ffd32bc797df_ScreenShot2021-01-11at9_22_34PM.png.3a9d71d497531a0ca37803a00ef14856.png

7 hours ago, Flying said:

I'm not going to try to contend for the title because I still haven't read the Silmarillion, but I do think I have the best LotR Quizlet account. My school makes us use this website for studying, and people always look so confused when they first see my account enrolled in their classes and it's this:

Reveal hidden contents

5ffd32bc797df_ScreenShot2021-01-11at9_22_34PM.png.3a9d71d497531a0ca37803a00ef14856.png

Flying?

That's fantastic.

You just made my day.

First, pls be kind & not diss on my forum name too much ;) - I tried to morph part of Bombadil's name (Iarwain Ben-Adar - not sure if it's Quenya or Westron) into a female form. It fits bcos I am old IRL but when I take those "what generation are you" quizzes they peg me at half my age, LOL. Young at heart! and the Shard helps keep me that way!

This thread is a great example: I'm loving all your fun & creative comments.:D

I don't claim to be the biggest Rings nerd, but I've been at it a long time - I read the trilogy for the first time in 1977, & have journeyed to Mordor 19 times (so far). I've read The Silmarillion (at least 5-6 times), the Unfinished Tales, and the first Book of Lost Tales, but that's as far as I've gone or plan to go.

I've been known to say that all of western civilization could have existed just to produce TLotR - it has been that influential, IMO, and it has also literally changed my outlook on the universe.

I used to be able to read/write Elvish, but have forgotten it through the years. In 1978, I was in the theater seeing a movie (probably Superman), and during the trailers for upcoming films, the screen went all black and red lettering scrolled across - my eyes were as big as saucers! My friend said "What language is that - Arabic?" and I said, "No - it's Elvish!!" The movie was a disappointment, but oh well - nothing can touch the books, for me. YMMV of course.

I have never seen any of the recent movies bcos I want to keep my vision of what characters and settings look like - I don't want to get confused with Peter Jackson's vision, as good as I understand it is. I've avoided even looking at pictures of any images from those movies - so far, so good. If you love the films, that's great! Multiplied ways to enjoy these wonderful stories.

I do think there is a bit of backstory somewhere on Bombadil: that he's a Maia - same level/order as Gandalf, but that he sunk his spirit down into a geographical place in Middle Earth, whereas the Wizards were mobile and moving around. I might be wrong on that, as it's been decades since I read about it.

Last point: my profile image is a snippet from a Rings-related painting - "The Last Shore" by Tim Kirk - puts a lump in my throat just to look at it. Hope you like it too! (from https://arthive.net/res/media/img/oy1200/work/e53/58152.webp)

TheLastShore.thumb.PNG.b9c2c47f11cff7b3231844cf05e4d1c6.PNG

Edited by Iarwainiel

10 hours ago, Iarwainiel said:

First, pls be kind & not diss on my forum name too much ;) - I tried to morph part of Bombadil's name (Iarwain Ben-Adar - not sure if it's Quenya or Westron) into a female form. It fits bcos I am old IRL but when I take those "what generation are you" quizzes they peg me at half my age, LOL. Young at heart! and the Shard helps keep me that way!

This thread is a great example: I'm loving all your fun & creative comments.:D

I don't claim to be the biggest Rings nerd, but I've been at it a long time - I read the trilogy for the first time in 1977, & have journeyed to Mordor 19 times (so far). I've read The Silmarillion (at least 5-6 times), the Unfinished Tales, and the first Book of Lost Tales, but that's as far as I've gone or plan to go.

I've been known to say that all of western civilization could have existed just to produce TLotR - it has been that influential, IMO, and it has also literally changed my outlook on the universe.

I used to be able to read/write Elvish, but have forgotten it through the years. In 1978, I was in the theater seeing a movie (probably Superman), and during the trailers for upcoming films, the screen went all black and red lettering scrolled across - my eyes were as big as saucers! My friend said "What language is that - Arabic?" and I said, "No - it's Elvish!!" The movie was a disappointment, but oh well - nothing can touch the books, for me. YMMV of course.

I have never seen any of the recent movies bcos I want to keep my vision of what characters and settings look like - I don't want to get confused with Peter Jackson's vision, as good as I understand it is. I've avoided even looking at pictures of any images from those movies - so far, so good. If you love the films, that's great! Multiplied ways to enjoy these wonderful stories.

I do think there is a bit of backstory somewhere on Bombadil: that he's a Maia - same level/order as Gandalf, but that he sunk his spirit down into a geographical place in Middle Earth, whereas the Wizards were mobile and moving around. I might be wrong on that, as it's been decades since I read about it.

Last point: my profile image is a snippet from a Rings-related painting - "The Last Shore" by Tim Kirk - puts a lump in my throat just to look at it. Hope you like it too! (from https://arthive.net/res/media/img/oy1200/work/e53/58152.webp)

TheLastShore.thumb.PNG.b9c2c47f11cff7b3231844cf05e4d1c6.PNG

Okay. You win. *Doffs crown.*

Welcome, Iarwainiel!  And also welcome to the older than all these young pups club...you'd be the second person on the Shard that I know to be older than I am :D

In all of the Middle Earth related art I've seen over the nearing 40 years since I first read the Hobbit, I've not seen that piece. Thanks for sharing it. And thanks for sharing the story.

I think I'm right in saying I love the books as much as you do.  I think the LOTR trilogy is worth seeing.  I don't have trouble seeing my vision of how the book looks. I might have more trouble with that if the movies were more directly visual representations of the words on the page than they are (every book has to get adapted in some way), but I've never had trouble keeping them separate.  The only places I may struggle with that at all are Rivendell (which, honestly, surpassed anything in my imagination) and Minas Tirith, which they did so very well (and, honestly, Tolkien's description is so explicit) that I kinda incorporated it into how I view things.  Ymmv of course, I don't want you to feel pressure with it, but I did very much enjoy the LOTR trilogy.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:24 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Okay. You win. *Doffs crown.*

We all win, with the Rings. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Ooklara said:

@Iarwainiel That reminds me, my forum name (the actual one, not this current one) is a misspelling of Gandalf's Quenya name.

My profile picture is Catra :P

Very cool re: your forum name! I'll be watching for it. (When does Ookla season end?;))

22 minutes ago, Mulk said:

Welcome, Iarwainiel!  And also welcome to the older than all these young pups club...you'd be the second person on the Shard that I know to be older than I am :D

In all of the Middle Earth related art I've seen over the nearing 40 years since I first read the Hobbit, I've not seen that piece. Thanks for sharing it. And thanks for sharing the story.

I wish the Shard had been around when I was a teen - it would have made a real difference to know that others in the world had the same/similar ideals I did re: beauty, loyalty, hope, etc. Seeing young people interact here, and interacting with them, is just such a joy! It's a great community & IMO many, many of our members have a strong chance of changing the world for the better.

The painting was used in a Tolkien calendar in the 70s. (I'm gonna frame some of those this year - need to decorate my house! ... yes, I saved them ... I am a true nerd, LOL!) Kirk stopped painting for a living & became a graphic artist years ago, but I love his depictions - here's a page that shows them all: https://arthive.com/artists/13571~Tim_Kirk/works

10 minutes ago, Iarwainiel said:

We all win, with the Rings. Thanks!

Very cool re: your forum name! I'll be watching for it. (When does Ookla season end?;))

I wish the Shard had been around when I was a teen - it would have made a real difference to know that others in the world had the same/similar ideals I did re: beauty, loyalty, hope, etc. Seeing young people interact here, and interacting with them, is just such a joy! It's a great community & IMO many, many of our members have a strong chance of changing the world for the better.

The painting was used in a Tolkien calendar in the 70s. (I'm gonna frame some of those this year - need to decorate my house! ... yes, I saved them ... I am a true nerd, LOL!) Kirk stopped painting for a living & became a graphic artist years ago, but I love his depictions - here's a page that shows them all: https://arthive.com/artists/13571~Tim_Kirk/works

Ookla season ended awhile ago, but some people ran out of username changes.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

@Iarwainiel like @Channelknight Fadran said, I ran out of user name changes... and it looks like I'm stuck with this until a month from now!

So, in the interest of expediency, my username is Orlion plus something to do with my avatar. So in the current case, it would be Orlionra

On 1/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Oh - makes sense. I'm always late to the Ookla-ing, and can never think of a good name that hasn't been taken. Maybe next year...:P

Edited by Iarwainiel

• 4 months later...