Who is the Shard's biggest Lord of the Rings nerd?

Tesh

1 hour ago, Ooklara said:

If you can't speak and write different forms of Elvish, you're just a fan and can't be the Greatest. 

Uhh... Mae g'ovennan?

Seriously though, is there a source I can use to learn Quenyar? I'd pay my left leg for a rosetta stone class.

Also, you have to have shed blood to defend your answer to the following question: 

Do Balrogs have wings? 

Though honestly, most run of the mill fans have all ready done so:ph34r:

Depends on the scudding Balrog. The one in Moria apparently had wings, but who knows if they were actually wings or if they were just shadow made to look like wings?

27 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Seriously though, is there a source I can use to learn Quenyar? I'd pay my left leg for a rosetta stone class.

I'm not claiming this position, even though I love LotR.

But this. Where can I learn elvish? Because I would totally do it.

I'm pretty geeky about it and have been for...closing in on 40 years.  I don't think we need an "IN THE END THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE" argument about it though, lol.

Regarding learning it, there's a whole bunch of quenya and sindarin dictionary links if you google them, there's also some hits for how to learn it.  I've not done any of them, mind you, though I know a fair bit of the Elvish just from years of reading it all - none of that stuff (dictionaries, how to's, etc) really existed in ways I could get at when I was growing up, so you had to do what you could with the appendices.  At one point I had most of Daeron's runes memorized, but it's been quite a while.   I never spent just a ton of time learning the Tengwar.  Lack of time there, mostly.

I forgot:

To be a true Lord of the Rings nerd, you need to have a terrible take on Tom Bombadil because you refuse to accept that Tolkien created a character that affects the plot without any back story or mythology on purpose. 

The take has to be so bad, that it doesn't make sense when given the slightest contextual reference. For example: Tom Bombadil is Iluvatar! 

11 minutes ago, Ooklara said:

I forgot:

To be a true Lord of the Rings nerd, you need to have a terrible take on Tom Bombadil because you refuse to accept that Tolkien created a character that affects the plot without any back story or mythology on purpose. 

The take has to be so bad, that it doesn't make sense when given the slightest contextual reference. For example: Tom Bombadil is Iluvatar! 

My take: Tom Bombadil is Hoid

57 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Make your own thread for this, if you will, and link me. I will DESTROY you.

(Fadran, turn down the death threats.... This is just an unimportant competition....)

And Harry Potter isn't that good. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I am going to divorce you now.

I have reasons for saying this.

They are fun books. Really fun, actually. I truly enjoy reading them.

However.

They do not deserve all the hype they have. I get why it's there and stuff, but there is just so much energy spent on this book series that is better spent elsewhere.

Are they worth reading?

For sure.

I just don't like them as much as everyone else seems to. I was obsessed with them in elementary school, though.

(My opinion on this doesn't stop me from knowing a ton about them, though...)

Also, when your sister is always listening to one of them on audiobook, and has read the whole series many many times... Well, there are only so many times you can read a series like that before it becomes way annoying.

Also, Harry is annoying. Especially in the later books.

Just now, Tesh said:

I have reasons for saying this.

They are fun books. Really fun, actually. I truly enjoy reading them.

However.

They do not deserve all the hype they have. I get why it's there and stuff, but there is just so much energy spent on this book series that is better spent elsewhere.

Are they worth reading?

For sure.

I just don't like them as much as everyone else seems to. I was obsessed with them in elementary school, though.

(My opinion on this doesn't stop me from knowing a ton about them, though...)

Also, when your sister is always listening to one of them on audiobook, and has read the whole series many many times... Well, there are only so many times you can read a series like that before it becomes way annoying.

Also, Harry is annoying. Especially in the later books.

Harry is annoying. I love the world because it's my childhood and nostalgia is a good thing.

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Harry is annoying. I love the world because it's my childhood and nostalgia is a good thing.

(Just a very whinny, spoiled, and neglected kid. I don't get him... He's not good at anything besides being famous.)

Can't fault you for that.

Every time I go and watch the first movie again (arguably one of the best book adaptations of all time) I just remember my mom reading the book to my sister and I for the first time, and then going to a friend's Harry Potter party where we watched the movie and had Harry Potter everything.

And there is always the memory of playing with my friend. She was always Hermione and I was everyone else. (And then when it was Percy Jackson she was always Annabeth, and I was everyone else... It's really funny, now that I think back on it. She's changed a lot since then.)

And I think Harry Potter is just a very nostalgic thing. There are so many good and peaceful moments associated with Hogwarts, you know? And then with things like Percy Jackson, there is definitely some nostalgia there for me, but they were always off fighting monsters with very little time to just sit back at Camp Half-Blood and relax.

2 minutes ago, Tesh said:

(Just a very whinny, spoiled, and neglected kid. I don't get him... He's not good at anything besides being famous.)

Can't fault you for that.

Every time I go and watch the first movie again (arguably one of the best book adaptations of all time) I just remember my mom reading the book to my sister and I for the first time, and then going to a friend's Harry Potter party where we watched the movie and had Harry Potter everything.

And there is always the memory of playing with my friend. She was always Hermione and I was everyone else. (And then when it was Percy Jackson she was always Annabeth, and I was everyone else... It's really funny, now that I think back on it. She's changed a lot since then.)

And I think Harry Potter is just a very nostalgic thing. There are so many good and peaceful moments associated with Hogwarts, you know? And then with things like Percy Jackson, there is definitely some nostalgia there for me, but they were always off fighting monsters with very little time to just sit back at Camp Half-Blood and relax.

The first movie was basically a word-for-word adaptation of the book... which is why I don't like it very much.