Elantris + WoK | Galladon

Knight of Iron

I have recently re-read Elantris, and looking back to Galladon's Way of Kings appearance, a few questions arose for me. I don't know if they've been answered yet, and I'd like to hear any theories that exist.

Galladon uses terms like "friend" and "understand?" in the local language rather than terms like "sule" and "kolo". I cannot imagine Galladon saying understand rather than kolo, so I am leaning 100% towards some magical translator that worldhoppers have. Do all worldhoppers have something like this, or do some just have to learn the language?

And his appearance doesn't fit as well either. And how did an Elantrian get off of Sel? Actually, that might be the reason his appearance is different, as he is no longer on Sel. Hmm.

And do we have a translation of "Alavanta kamaloo kayana?"

One of the prime ways worldhoppers are able to speak all the languages around them is Connection hacking. That is very likely what's going on there - the Connection is taking over to translate what he means ("friend" and "understand?" included) into the Rosharan language they're speaking at the time. Some do prefer to learn the language, but because of how many languages there are, most choose to go solely with Connection hacks or have a backup Connection hack translator to take over.

No idea how Elantrians have figured out how to get off Sel, but Galladon is not the first. There's a major cosmere-influencing group made up of Elantrians called the Ire, who appear to have figured it out, given that they, as an organization, were able to skip the Reod. Mistborn: Secret History spoilers:

Spoiler

They had glowing jars that they drank from, which may be distilled Dor-Investiture to keep them healthy, but they also have Connection globes that may play a part in it by generating a significant amount of Connection to a new planet that they can use to keep themselves there and use their Investiture while they're there. Potentially.

We'll probably find out more about how they manage to get around in Elantris's sequel (if/when that releases).

I do not know of a translation for the phrase, but something along the lines of "this plan is crazy" seems likely. Or maybe "this planet is crazy."