Death Rattle Complete?

Windrunner2319

So In Way of Kings we get this death rattle,

In the storm I awaken, falling, spinning, grieving. 

In 2018 Brandon stated that we had not yet seen this death rattle on screen. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/369-skyward-san-francisco-signing/#e11616

I am pretty sure that this Death Rattle referred to the Scene when Kaladin jumped out of the window to save Lirin. He is falling without full use of his powers, grieving the loss of Teft, In the middle of a high storm. When he swears the forth oath he awakens to the height of his power. We also know that this is a scene that Brandon has been planning for a long time.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/452-youtube-livestream-23/#e14518

I think it all fits,

Thoughts?

Something to note: there has been a death rattle for each of Kaladin's oaths so far, so it's likely his 5th Oath is predicted in one of the other deathrattles. The Shardcasters(Evgeni in particular) think this is the most likely one: 

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us.

1 hour ago, Harrycrapper said:

Something to note: there has been a death rattle for each of Kaladin's oaths so far, so it's likely his 5th Oath is predicted in one of the other deathrattles. The Shardcasters(Evgeni in particular) think this is the most likely one: 

There's also this one from Kin Valam that I find particularly interesting:

So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life...

1 hour ago, KandraAllomancer said:

So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life...

Pretty sure this particular Rattle is linked to the suckling child one:

“I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw.”

The choice of Honor would be to spare the child, and in doing so the Night (Odium?) will reign.

On 12/31/2020 at 6:22 AM, Harrycrapper said:

Yeah Just today I listened to that shardcast. I think it works well.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:57 AM, HoidIsAdonalsium said:

The choice of Honor would be to spare the child, and in doing so the Night (Odium?) will reign.

Which is why several folks I've seen on the Shard think that Odium's champion will be a child, and Dalinar will refuse to kill them.

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us.

I'm interpreting this as a red herring for a broken Vyre having lost Odium's light, Stormblessed dunking on him over and over, never stopping.

Seriously though, this feels dark and is likely the moment where Kaladin swears the fifth Ideal.

2 hours ago, bookspren said:

What if it was Gavinor?

My only problem with Gavinor or any other child, is that Gavinor wouldn't be able to loose because Dalinar or whoever wouldn't be able to kill him, but he also as far I can tell would be unable to win, so it would just create an endless contest, and Odium wouldn't gain what he wants anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, HoidIsAdonalsium said:

The Night of Sorrow

17 hours ago, Windrunner2319 said:

I am a really big fan of the idea that Stormlight 5 ends with a big loss for team radiant. Issuing in the night of sorrows right then would be an amazing conclusion to the front five.

Given the large gap between books, I'm leaning toward Stormlight 5 ending with a big relief, all pressing conflicts resolved, etc. However, the resolution will come at a huge cost with irrevocable change that will foreshadow the conflict for the back 5. Based on Death Rattles, both the Highstorm and the Everstorm will be stopped, leaving Roshar without a source of Stormlight and crem, but free of Odium with Humans and Singers united. A new, completely different challenge heading into the break, and an end to the conflict that defined the first 5 books.

Edited by Leuthie

2 hours ago, Leuthie said:

Given the large gap between books, I'm leaning toward Stormlight 5 ending with a big relief, all pressing conflicts resolved, etc. However, the resolution will come at a huge cost with irrevocable change that will foreshadow the conflict for the back 5. Based on Death Rattles, both the Highstorm and the Everstorm will be stopped, leaving Roshar without a source of Stormlight and crem, but free of Odium with Humans and Singers united. A new, completely different challenge heading into the break, and an end to the conflict that defined the first 5 books.

I think that would be good as well. Playing with the idea of "We won, but at what cost" Sounds very much like a Brandon Sanderson theme. I also am pretty sure many of our main front five characters will be stepping out/ dying at the end of book 5. 

I think its interesting what you are saying about the end of the Highstorm and Everstorm being told in the death rattles. I had never thought of it that way, but now that you say it it makes a lot of sense.

There's also a really interesting Death Rattle back in Way of Kings that fits Kaladin well. 

All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.

Seems like fifth oath material to me

Edited by CameronUluvara

5 hours ago, CameronUluvara said:

There's also a really interesting Death Rattle back in Way of Kings that fits Kaladin well. 

All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.

Seems like fifth oath material to me

Probably his Third Ideal. The chapter where Dalinar confirms the story about Moash's grandparents and explained about Roshone, and where Kaladin decided Elhokar needed to die, is called "The One Who Killed Promises". 

2 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Probably his Third Ideal. The chapter where Dalinar confirms the story about Moash's grandparents and explained about Roshone, and where Kaladin decided Elhokar needed to die, is called "The One Who Killed Promises". 

I don't think so, the storm isn't really there.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

1. Stormfather shouting in his head angrily
  2. Rumbling of thunder when an Ideal is accepted 
  3. Wind rips open all the shutters dramatically when he explodes with Light (I'm still not sure why this part happened...)
  4. Stormfather's off-schedule highstorm hits soon after

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Kaladin -explicitly- called Moash the one who saved his life.  Elhokar was heavily implied to be "the one who killed [Kal's] promises."  Syl tells Kal to raise his hand, and he does so, speaking the Third Ideal.  The Stormfather accepts his words.  It is 1000% a reference to Kal speaking the Third Ideal.  That said, I'll be the last person to discourage you from believing that the Sandman is somehow going to make it fit for a future scene as well, which... well, to be completely honest, when I started typing this post out I was thinking that it's a ludicrous idea, but right now I'm chuckling to myself because I have to admit that if any author could pull it off in a satisfying way, it would be Brandon Sanderson :P

17 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:
  1. Stormfather shouting in his head angrily
  2. Rumbling of thunder when an Ideal is accepted 
  3. Wind rips open all the shutters dramatically when he explodes with Light (I'm still not sure why this part happened...)
  4. Stormfather's off-schedule highstorm hits soon after

I was refering to the chapter you mentioned

21 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

To be exact what happened was

1. Wind blow in the opening in the wall, (Kal accidentally using Adhesion maybe)

2. Kal breath Stormlight in

3. Pause where everyone is in the dark (No idea how that can have happen)

4. Kal explode with Light

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Which is exactly the one in which the 1-2-3-4 list Lews gave happened

Nevermind I missunderstood you

Edited by mathiau

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I was referring to that chapter because I think it points Elhokar as "the one who killed my promises" (reference to Tien's death, perhaps? he does in that chapter think about the chain of cause-and-effect with Roshone). I think the Rattle itself refers to the Third Ideal, protecting the person pointed at by the earlier chapter. 

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope