A Kelsier and Dalinar comparison + some spite

i’m in the details

8 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

My guess is that Kell only has the one spike. He probably does have Breath though, and maybe a bonded Aviar.

If he only has one spike, how's he got Ferruchemy?  

I don't think we have textual evidence for Kelsier having either of those, but the GBs do have them so that's not much of a stretch.  

...Kelsier with lots of colorful clothes and a bird on his shoulder...

...Rainbow Pirate Kelsier versus an insane tyrant/self-declared god?  It'll be like his death scene from Final Empire but this time he holds all the cards instead of going in with a crazy all-in on a contingency plan.  

Just now, GroundPetrel said:

If he only has one spike, how's he got Ferruchemy?  

I don't think we have textual evidence for Kelsier having either of those, but the GBs do have them so that's not much of a stretch.  

...Kelsier with lots of colorful clothes and a bird on his shoulder...

...Rainbow Pirate Kelsier versus an insane tyrant/self-declared god?  It'll be like his death scene from Final Empire but this time he holds all the cards instead of going in with a crazy all-in on a contingency plan.  

Lol! The one eye really makes him look like a pirate!

And yes, I’m assuming if the GBs have access, their boss should too.

We don’t know how he got feruchemy. My guess is that he knows how Preservation gave it to the first Feruchemists. We know Brandon has repeatedly RAFOd this, and he did indicate once that he was saving this for the future. I think we’ll finally find out how through Kelsier.

Kell wouldn’t use many spikes as it opens him to be controlled by others. He would be very against anything that could do that. The issue is simply a practical one.

On 12/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, i’m in the details said:

I see people say that a lot, and I am aware of the wob that says just that. But I see no evidence to support it in the text. In secret history he spares several Ire when he easily could’ve just slit their throats. He saves Elend for no reason other than Vin and later admits he’s not too upset that he ended up king. He’s ruthless no doubt, but he seems to have a pretty squared up moral compass. 

He stabbed Elend in SH to...

Emotionally manipulater his adopted daughter.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Lol! The one eye really makes him look like a pirate!

And yes, I’m assuming if the GBs have access, their boss should too.

We don’t know how he got feruchemy. My guess is that he knows how Preservation gave it to the first Feruchemists. We know Brandon has repeatedly RAFOd this, and he did indicate once that he was saving this for the future. I think we’ll finally find out how through Kelsier.

Kell wouldn’t use many spikes as it opens him to be controlled by others. He would be very against anything that could do that. The issue is simply a practical one.

What if he didn't get Feruchemy and instead used Investiture tech developed by the Southern Scadrians to make the Bands?  It's been a while since I read Bands of Mourning, was there specific textual evidence that he has it personally?  

Just now, GroundPetrel said:

What if he didn't get Feruchemy and instead used Investiture tech developed by the Southern Scadrians to make the Bands?  It's been a while since I read Bands of Mourning, was there specific textual evidence that he has it personally?  

He invented the tech and they put it together from what he gave them, not the other way around.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:58 PM, Nameless said:

possibly killed someone with hemalurgy to get a body

On 12/31/2020 at 0:12 PM, GroundPetrel said:

I bet he literally just grabbed a mistwraith and did it kandra style.  That would explain how he still has his scars in the vision.  They're part of his Identity at this point so I bet the Investiture would transfer them over. 

As I mentioned above I don't think he killed a sapient person to get that body

He could have just had Spook hold an unsealed F-Gold medallion to one of his old bones (which Ten Soon presumably had). We know from BoM that you can tap a goldmind while dead, as long as you're still in the CR.

As to the OP's post, I agree that they share the same "role" in the story while not actually being similar in temperament or action. They both have troubling back stories and have both taken actions that the reader (and the character) have to reconcile with. It makes them more real in my opinion. They balance out characters like Kaladin who I find completely unbelievable.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident