Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

Jahora crossed his hands protectively above his head and curled up into a ball "hey, hey, I was just trolling. Mind the crotch! I'll shut up now, I'll be quiet." Then he repelled every ounce of metal Rose had on her away from his rings and belt and pushed her out of arm's reach from him. 

Rose tripped backwards, landing in a pile of crates. Pain shot through her back and when she tried to get up by supporting herself on a crate beside her, her hand broke through the wood. She screamed - in pain, but mostly in frustration - and then broke down crying. "Something's wrong with you," Rose said. Her words were meant with Jahora, but when she said them aloud, she was reminded of things her aunt and uncle had told her. 

"Rose!!" Darrin ripped the feral thirteen year old off of her preteen brother.

Rose - a sweaty, red-faced young woman wearing a tank top, her braid a mess - was screaming in anger. "Don't TOUCH me!" She tried to rip her arms free of her uncle's grip, but he held her tighter. "He's a devil! A manipulative devil! He's perfect around you, but the moment you turn your backs, he'll tease me relentlessly. Why can't you see?!?! You're BLIND!" 

"Right now, this isn't about your brother. You need to calm down." 

"He never gets in trouble! He doesn't care about me, or any of you, he's a psychopath!"

"Rose, stop it."

She was crying. Yelling but completely unheard. They didn't care. Why didn't they care?! Rose started cussing them out and her uncle tossed her over his shoulder, carrying the ferocious girl over his shoulder to her room. As she was forced out, she heard Aunt Riva asking Granite if he was okay, softly chiding him for teasing his sister. "You're not in trouble," said Riva. "But your sister... There's something wrong with that girl." 

The words seemed to echo in her mind. Rose remembered blacking out soon after that moment. Entering a vision of the future, having a seizure. It was the first time that had happened to her and had confirmed what they'd thought. There was something wrong with her. And nobody could help her. 

Jahora stood up and shoved his hands firmly into his pockets. "Nothing is wrong with me, and neither is anything wrong with you. Just because we're different doesn't mean that we're wrong." He walked up to the shard of broken crate that had flew the furthest from Rose and inspected the wood. Pine, he thought disappointedly. 

"I'm just trying to make sense of you. I tried being nice, and you still hated me, being a jerk didn't speak to you either. Have you ever liked anyone? Try taking deep breaths to calm down, it'll help you get a grip on your powers. Trust me Rose, you don't need that wood to protect you."

Voices. She could hear them. Hear their thoughts. All the people around her, wondering what had happened, wondering what kind of monster was inside the cage of wood. 

"Make them stop..." Rose whispered. Her hands were in her hair, her eyes wide. "Oh, stars, make them stop..." She whimpered and suddenly, the wood broke apart again, forming sharp spears pointing outward offensively. "Stop it, stop it..."

You know, Rose could make a pretty epic villain, in the right story.

"They should be scared," Rose muttered. She stood, trembling. Her eyes were slightly bloodshot and her hair was a ratty mess. "All of you should be scared." And yet, she didn't look angry. Rose was the scared one. 

Edited by Shard of Thought

31 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

"They should be scared," Rose muttered. She stood, trembling. Her eyes were slightly bloodshot and her hair was a ratty mess. "All of you should be scared." And yet, she didn't look angry. Rose was the scared one. 

"Come on Rose, let's go somewhere with less people." He felt a pang of sympathy for Rose, was this what her everyday life was like? No wonder she looked so tired. 

On 4/7/2021 at 5:43 AM, Lecky Twig said:

Still breathless, Jahora stood up "I already told you why I care. It doesn't take much sense to see you shouldn't be alone. Plus, you're too young to die. Come on, we should go help Kess." He wrapped his arms around his crotch and winded abdomen and started hobbling down the street. 

Joline peered above her knitting at Kess "Pay?" She asked incredulously. "Why would I want pay? I have everything a respectable women of my age could want, food, shelter, knitting. Nay kid, you can't buy everything in life, that's a lesson I learnt at a very young age, you should thank me for passing it on to you."

Although, It's hardly be fair if I shooed you out of my house on such a big cliff-hanger. So, I'll tell you that the nobles hold a monthly ball, the next one is this Monday. I do not know who's hosting. Anyway, I suggest you go to dance that and work hard for your answers instead of weaseling instead of trying to mild me for them." Joline snickered, it would be easy for a women of her experience to sneak into the ball and laugh as Kess make a fool of herself as she tried to wean tightly kept secrets from the nobility. "In fact, if you kick up a big enough fuss at the ball, then I might even pay you, with a knitted sweater of course."

"Perhaps I should bribe you with some fine wool it new knitting needles. Would you speak then, you old hag?" She chuckles maliciously. "It's been a while since I've been to such party. It's a good thing I packed that fine dress. Anyway, goodbye. I wish you luck in harassing more people simply trying to do their jobs." She glares at her one last time before leaving.

On 09/04/2021 at 10:54 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Rose could feel his sincerity and it pierced her soul. The wooden shards fell to the floor. She hung her head and nodded, as if too tired to speak or move. 

Jahora tightly clasped his mouth shut and bit down on his tongue, he had outspoken himself. Then, gesturing for Rose to follow, he slowly pushed his way through the crowd that was slowly thinning now that Rose's magic trick was over. His twisted the rings on his finger, he was determined to befriend Rose someway for another, There's got to be a way to get her to stop hating me. 

15 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Perhaps I should bribe you with some fine wool it new knitting needles. Would you speak then, you old hag?" She chuckles maliciously. "It's been a while since I've been to such party. It's a good thing I packed that fine dress. Anyway, goodbye. I wish you luck in harassing more people simply trying to do their jobs." She glares at her one last time before leaving.

Joline chuckled as Kess stormed out. "Kids these day." she muttered to herself, then smiled and continued her knitting. 

Jahora smiled weakly then walked in the general direction of Selene's old house, he steered out of the busy main street and into narrow, less crowded alleyways. He took off Tydel's fancy top hat and tucked it under his jacket so he would be less of a target for ruffians who usually prowled through alleyways around this end of town. 

17 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose stayed close to Jahora the whole time. She didn't want to move. And after a little while she realized. 

"You're not taking me to a safe place," she growled.

"I know, but I'm thinking it's safer to risk an encounter with a few starving thugs then have to trek through the main streets all the way back to Kess. Last time we tried that we made it about 20 steps before well..." he paused awkwardly "you know what I'm talking about." Still feeling the tension from their fight, he took a tiny step away from Rose. "We've both proven ourselves to be adept at fighting. We'll be fine if we bump into any trouble."

She was shaking, trying to hold back tears. This was perhaps one of the most embarrassing moments of her life. "I'm scared..." she whispered. She held onto Jahora's arm. 

Ugh, Rose seems like such a wimp right now... She's honestly a beast, she just hasn't gotten the chance to do any of that.

Kess stands outside of the place they were staying. There were no signs of Rose or Jahora anywhere- not inside, not outside. As far as she could tell, neither of them had returned since herself and Jahora went to go visit that old hag. Had they ditched her? She doubted it. Something had probably happened with Rose. That woman... Something was wrong with that one. Where could they be?

I don't think Rose is wimpy, she's carrying some a huge amount of emotional baggage around with her.

Jahora's arm tensed at Rose's touch, he was on edge. "Don't be scared, just be wary. We don't have far to go." 

His head whipped around as a pile of cardboard to his right started to shift and rustle. He stopped in his tracks and clenched his fists, ready for someone to spring out of the rubble at him and Rose. After a tense moments pause, he shook his head and continued forward; despite himself, he quickened his step "I don't like it here either."