Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

Rose's eyes widened slightly at the mention of the money. Sixty thousand? she thought. Storms. She'd grown up rather poor, such a sum of money was near-unthinkable to her. How long would that have sustained her aunt and uncle's family? How much longer would it sustain her, all on her own? Storms... she thought again. "I'm Rose," she said, reaching for the file to put it in her pack. The file - and the soup that she quickly turned to after grabbing it - was a perfect excuse not to meet the man's eyes. Blue eyes. Like her mother's. 

Rose, forget about that woman for ONE moment! For someone you want to forget, you spend an awful lot of time thinking about her. She knew it wasn't her fault. Her thoughts had been hard to control ever since she was little because of her cursed future sight. At least since she'd learned the truth about her powers, her night-terrors had stopped. Hopefully her uncontrollable thoughts would cease as well in time. For now, she'd simply do her best to focus. Jahora had said that someone was watching them, hadn't he? She glanced behind her for a brief moment, spotting the a pair of men eyeing them. So much for the notoriety of a young woman. 

She should try to make conversation with the man. Act like friends, like he'd asked. Small talk, however, was not something she was good at. Not at all. She'd spent her days alone in her room, reading, trying to hide from her visions. People had always frightened her and having another person right next to her induced a feeling of simmering anxiety. But asking him to scoot over was even more nerve-racking. She'd have to deal with it. 

Questions that she could ask him tumbled around in her head. Where do you come from? What do you like to do? How old are you? But each one felt dry and tasteless and she knew that if she said them aloud, they would only come off as cold. Instead, she said, "I'm assuming its unsafe to talk about how we plan to go about it here?"

"yeah, I'll take you round to my shop when I finish this soup." he said activating his magnetism to pull to metal spoon towards his tungston ring and into his hand. He slurped loudly in companiable silence "so, how did you get into bounty hunting?" he asked. "Most newbie hunters don't start out as respectable as yourself."

Why did Rose look so familiar, she reminded her of his aunt, although her hair wasnt the right colour. "I'll have to get one of my spies to look into her family" he muttered softly into his soup. 

If you want to know about her family, you should know that Rose's aunt and uncle are named Riva and Darrin Oakenwey. They have two daughters of their own (I don't have names for them) and those daughters are actually quite young. They had an older son named Max, but he was killed.

Rose's eye caught the spoon moving towards him and she flinched. He... He'd just... Rose, you're imagining things. She shook herself. No one was like her, no one except the odd characters in her family. Blue skin, talking statues, hair made of fire, white eyes, and food that appeared out of thin air. Maybe I imagined all of that as well... But she knew that wasn't true. She could never never convince herself otherwi-

He'd asked her a question. 

FOCUS. She looked at him nervously. "I..." Respectable? Me? "I... have little else to do. I've never liked people, might as well... get rid of some undesirable ones." She paled. Had she said that out loud? "That came out wrong. I just..." She sighed, finding herself trembling slightly. Maybe going on this hunt with someone else wasn't a good thing after all.... But she'd already said yes and she didn't have the courage to go back on it. "Sorry..." Rose whispered.

Edited by Shard of Thought

Jahora burst out laughing "no, don't worry, I get your jist. Trust me, I've gotten rid of my fair share of undisirable people too. Hey, don't look so surprised, I've met a few people who look way more far gone than your do. Not to discredit your mental state, of course, appearance doesn't always accurately portray one's wellbeing." he reached out and stillled her trembling hand "hey, did I say something wrong?" He said" I'm sorry." He finished his soup and put down his spoon, it stuck to his ring for a moment before it dropped into his plate with a light clang. How do I still always forget to deactivate. I've been using this power for years. 

"have you finished?" he asked, gesturing at her soup. "I'm ready to go when you are."

Thanks for the family stuff, I knew about the aunt and uncle, but the daughters are new info. 

Edited by Lecky Twig

Rose flinched at his touch, her breath catching. And yet, it calmed her. Her thoughts stilled for some reason. When he went back to his soup, Rose sat unmoving for a moment. Her mind was silent and she stared forward sightlessly.

”Have you finished?” he said, snapping her out of her quiet reverie. “I'm ready to go when you are."

”Oh,” she mumbled. She turned to her soup and took three hasty, massive bites. “Yes, I’m done.” Rose stood up from her stood, adjusting her back and cloak. “We can go.”

Kess was looking for something very specific in this nice little town out in the little of nowhere. Okay, that wasn't quite giving it enough credit- it was quite big and bustling, for a town out here. It was just tiny compared to where she was.

As she turned the corner, she saw her goal: a nice, rundown tavern. Lots of angry, only a little poor people who want other people dead. Perfect for a bounty hunter like her.

She burst into the tavern, white cape swinging and a shining shard of glass saved in her belt.

When no one even turns an eye, she frowns a little. She really tried with that dramatic entrance- perhaps a little more turn, to get that extra movement next time?

She scans the room, looking for groups to help. That one's too shady, that one's too angry- aha! There. A nice looking pair, standing up. Perfect!

She floats over. "Greetings, friends! I am Kess Kerendottir. Tell me, could you use a fighter?"

14 hours ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

“Those two are up to something. Black Market? Bounty?” 

Both good points.

“Black market dealers are usually more... secretive,” Nekri responded, watching the two interact. “My money’s on a bounty.”

That caught his attention. A bounty would be a good way to make money, if he could intercept it. Someone ( @xinoehp512 ) barged in and demanded to know where the barkeep was, and Nekri just thumbed over his shoulder at a stout man refilling a keg. When he looked back to the top hat man and his associate they were standing up.

“They’re about to leave,” he said to the red-skinned man quickly, then slowly stood up himself. If this was a bounty, then he was interested. Another woman joined the too and he resided an eyebrow. “And they have another associate.”

Edited by I think I am here.

Jared thrust a picture in the man's general direction. A woman, brown-haired and with glasses.

"Have you seen her?" he asked tersely.

There was a negatory grunt from the barkeep. Jared narrowed his eyes. The barkeep didn't respond.

Jared sighed, turning to the pair. "I don't suppose you've seen her?" he asked, part angry, part hopeful, and part just tired.

@I think I am here. @Bearer of all agonies

15 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared sighed, turning to the pair. "I don't suppose you've seen her?" he asked, part angry, part hopeful, and part just tired.

Nekri shifted his attention from the top hat man and glanced towards the newcomer, looking closely at that picture he had. If he wanted to find a woman, surely there were easier ways than going from tavern to tavern, right?

“Never seen her,” he said. Looking up to the newcomer, Nekri cocked his head to one side, tried to read him.

Then, he breathed out and changed his disguise, took on the illusion of the woman in the picture perfectly and grinned at the man.

“Why’re you looking for her?” He asked playfully, a male voice still coming out of the female illusion. “An ex or something?”

8 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose flinched at his touch, her breath catching. And yet, it calmed her. Her thoughts stilled for some reason. When he went back to his soup, Rose sat unmoving for a moment. Her mind was silent and she stared forward sightlessly.

”Have you finished?” he said, snapping her out of her quiet reverie. “I'm ready to go when you are."

”Oh,” she mumbled. She turned to her soup and took three hasty, massive bites. “Yes, I’m done.” Rose stood up from her stood, adjusting her back and cloak. “We can go.”

"Awesome" Jahora picked up his hat as he stood up and readied to leave. "I don't know how Tydel walked around in this thing" he said spinning the hat around his finger "it's amazing that he lasted as long in the business as he did" he said offhandedly to Rosa. I probably should have kept that thought to myself. 

5 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Kess was looking for something very specific in this nice little town out in the little of nowhere. Okay, that wasn't quite giving it enough credit- it was quite big and bustling, for a town out here. It was just tiny compared to where she was.

As she turned the corner, she saw her goal: a nice, rundown tavern. Lots of angry, only a little poor people who want other people dead. Perfect for a bounty hunter like her.

She burst into the tavern, white cape swinging and a shining shard of glass saved in her belt.

When no one even turns an eye, she frowns a little. She really tried with that dramatic entrance- perhaps a little more turn, to get that extra movement next time?

She scans the room, looking for groups to help. That one's too shady, that one's too angry- aha! There. A nice looking pair, standing up. Perfect!

She floats over. "Greetings, friends! I am Kess Kerendottir. Tell me, could you use a fighter?"

The door flung open to reveal a shadowed figure standing in the doorway. White cloak, glass shard in her belt, if his information was correct than this looked like Miss Kerendottir. He sifted through his memory to try find any information of consequence about her, but didn't come up with anything apart from her renowned dramatic flare. I sure hope she hasn't worked with Tydel before he thought and subtly tucked the dead man's hat behind his back. He turned to Rose, still keeping the top hat hidden from Kess' sight "I don't know exactly how dangerous this mission is going to get, I'll be happy to bring her along if you're happy to part with some of that $60 000 I promised; as I said, I'm not as rich as my hat suggests." He ran his fingers through his hair and pursed his lips in thought. "If we go ahead as a group, I could split up the money based on you girl's usefulness in the days ahead; a little competition never goes to waste." 

4 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Then, he breathed out and changed his disguise, took on the illusion of the woman in the picture perfectly and grinned at the man.

Some light flickered and changed out of the corner of his eye, now that was not natural, an illusionist perhaps. "Hey Rose, this tavern's company is really putting me off,  quickly make up your mind about Kess and let's get out of here."  @Shard of Thought

Edited by Lecky Twig

Topien shook his head. “Haven’t seen anyone like her.” 
He looked up. “Oh no. There’s about to be a fight. Or at least an argument. Those two really don’t like each other.” 
Topien nodded to the figure who just walked in the door. 

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

CrapwhatdoIdo. :lol: In character, Rose wouldn't want Kess to come along, but a third person would probably be better for RPing. Aaaaaaaaaa- I... think I've gotta stay in character.

Also, Jahora's comments about Tydel probably weren't picked up by Rose enough for her to question anything. As you've seen, she's not a great listener and her thoughts are everywhere.

@AmazingGoob @Lecky Twig

A third person? No! Rose panicked a bit. "We don't need anyone else," she said tersely. Her expression, however, did not match her slightly aggressive tone. She didn't meet Kess's eyes and underneath her hood, her pale face and pensive grey eyes made her look almost child-like. Unease stirred in the room, bringing her anxiety to a boil. If they didn't leave soon, Rose's powers might break something. She could feel them within her. They'd been longing for a reason to let loose and now they had it. Let's get out of here, Jahora, please.

9 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Nekri shifted his attention from the top hat man and glanced towards the newcomer, looking closely at that picture he had. If he wanted to find a woman, surely there were easier ways than going from tavern to tavern, right?

“Never seen her,” he said. Looking up to the newcomer, Nekri cocked his head to one side, tried to read him.

“Why’re you looking for her?” He asked playfully, a male voice still coming out of the female illusion. “An ex or something?”

Jared jumped slightly, eyes widening in shock for a brief moment before realization struck.

That's none of your business, he responded coldly.

Heeeere I aaaaam, and heeeere I'll staaaaay

Spoiler

Name: Let's just call him "Aurice"

Magic: What if I RAFO'd this? Is that allowed?

Appearance: Average height human dude with silver-blonde hair and beard... picture Legolas but with silver hair. And a beard. I.E. nothing like Legolas.

Details: Maybe a higher-up in a bounty hunting guild? Like that one guy who sat at the table and handed out jobs? Could I do something like that?

Skills: Wields dual shortswords like an absolute boss from his days of being an actual bounty hunter, barters like a tax attorney, and I've decided that he can cook because I want him to.

Here's my character idea. I came up with it on the fly, so any feedback is welcome.

Spoiler

Name: Kieran Negaouros

Magic: Mind reading- surface thoughts in a small area around him, and deeper delving if he touches someone. Currently has little to no control over this.

Appearance: Small, thin child with black hair and light violet eyes. Around 8 years old. Short, spiky har and dressed in a simple gray shirt and tunic.

Details: Born into a powerful noble family, both of Kieran's parents died at a young age, leaving him as heir to massive amounts of power and land. His powers manifested shortly after, and he began to hear his advisors' plots to murder him and take the title for themselves. Packing what little he could carry, he snuck out of the castle and has been on the run ever since.
Skills: Highly observant, decent knowledge of herbology and medicine, literate

Edited by Fallapede

6 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

"Awesome" Jahora picked up his hat as he stood up and readied to leave. "I don't know how Tydel walked around in this thing" he said spinning the hat around his finger "it's amazing that he lasted as long in the business as he did" he said offhandedly to Rosa. I probably should have kept that thought to myself. 

The door flung open to reveal a shadowed figure standing in the doorway. White cloak, glass shard in her belt, if his information was correct than this looked like Miss Kerendottir. He sifted through his memory to try find any information of consequence about her, but didn't come up with anything apart from her renowned dramatic flare. I sure hope she hasn't worked with Tydel before he thought and subtly tucked the dead man's hat behind his back. He turned to Rose, still keeping the top hat hidden from Kess' sight "I don't know exactly how dangerous this mission is going to get, I'll be happy to bring her along if you're happy to part with some of that $60 000 I promised; as I said, I'm not as rich as my hat suggests." He ran his fingers through his hair and pursed his lips in thought. "If we go ahead as a group, I could split up the money based on you girl's usefulness in the days ahead; a little competition never goes to waste." 

@Shard of Thought

Uh... She never was specifically looking for this group, but you probably could of gotten some info and guessed where she was going, and maybe poked her in the right direction? I dunno, I'll go with it.

"Ah! I would be happy to only take a small percentage of the pay- this is less for the money, and more for the experience!"

Kess was a little spooked that this man just expected for her to be here- he probably just got some information on her, yes. And why complain? Now she wouldn't have to work that hard to find a job!

2 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

@AmazingGoob @Lecky Twig

A third person? No! Rose panicked a bit. "We don't need anyone else," she said tersely. Her expression, however, did not match her slightly aggressive tone. She didn't meet Kess's eyes and underneath her hood, her pale face and pensive grey eyes made her look almost child-like. Unease stirred in the room, bringing her anxiety to a boil. If they didn't leave soon, Rose's powers might break something. She could feel them within her. They'd been longing for a reason to let loose and now they had it. Let's get out of here, Jahora, please.

"Why not? I assure you, I will be very useful! Watch!"

She puts her hands together, and then as she pulls them away from each other, a clear rod appears between her palms.

Rose's eyes widened. By Jezrien, I'm seeing things again. Her fingers began trembling again, and then, to her horror, a nearby stool began to tremble as well. Oh, no.

"I'm sorry, but we have to go." Rose took Jahora by the hand and began pulling him along with her towards the door. The stool only rattled faster. 

Kieran pulled open the tavern's door, steeling himself against the inevitable headache so many people's thoughts would cause. It had been a while since he'd eaten, and hunger would slow him down at this point. As he entered, he was almost immediately hit by a wave of panic from the woman in front of him, and he struggled not to curl into a ball. As calmly as he could, he asked, "Miss, could you please calm yourself? You're making my head hurt."

Rose stopped in place, looking at the little boy. Everything else fell away for a moment, sounds fading, the edges of her vision blurring until she could see nothing but his pale eyes. The stool fell still.

Please calm yourself. You're making my head hurt. Hurting me... 

Rose shuddered, feeling a chill. And then, everything went black. You had to go away Rose, you had to be locked up lest you hurt someone. You're dangerous, you're unhealthy, something is wrong with you...  Feelings. Thoughts. Visions. When she was in this state, they came to her full force, vivid and terrifying. Things that had happened, things that were happening now, things that had yet to occur. But it was too much. She couldn't sort through it all, much less take any meaning from it. Though she couldn't feel her body anymore, she tried to turn away from it all the same. It was useless. Her powers were no gift, as her mother had insisted. They were a curse and they made her an abomination. 

In the tavern, Rose's body thumped to the floor. Her trembling, however, did not cease. Sweat coalesced on her forehead and though she made no noise, her face was contorted in a look of agony.

Edited by Shard of Thought

Kieran briefly fell to his hands and knees, retching, before gathering himself and pointing to one of the tavern's inhabitants. "You, get cold water and a cloth. Hurry." Trembling, he cradled the woman's head in his hands, barely able to withstand the fear and loathing he felt from her. "There's nothing wrong with you," he whispered. "You're going to be fine. Just listen to my voice. Everything will be alright. There's nothing wrong with you..."

Edited by Fallapede

When Rose has an episode like this, she can stay in it for hours. I think the longest one she's had was two days. The shaking should stop after a few minutes though, once her visions have passed. After that, she'll just be unconscious; these episodes are extremely taxing on her mind and body.

Also, I think Rose and Kieran will have a strong connection. ;) 

There was no change in Rose's physical state, except that her shaking got worse. Much worse. She spasmed, tears running down her cheeks. After a few moments of sporadic movement, the trembling lessened and she whimpered. Her eyes fluttered under their lids. 

Kieran doesn't know any of that, but he's just doing what he can for her, based on his understanding of medicine. He's quite precocious in that sense. And I agree with you on the latter point. I don't really have a lot for Kieran to do right now, so let's pass it on to someone else.