Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

When the lot of them came into the room, Rose glowered at all of them. Jahora in particular was a victim of her steely gaze. Despite her talk with him, she still looked as if she could kill someone. As if, in fact, she longed to kill someone. Her fists were clenched white, fingernails biting into her palms. 

Edited by Shard of Thought

6 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Kess returns just as you finish your sentence, carrying a beat-up looking backpack. "Oh, I kinda expected you to leave. I would of caught up- though, this took less time than I thought, so we got lucky I guess."

"I don't like leaving people behind." Jahora said. He patted Rose daintily on the back "No need to look so sour" he said as he headed out onto the street. 

On 2/9/2021 at 7:46 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Her scowl only deepened. Easy for you to say, you weren't practically threatened to make your past spill... Whatever. As long as she was out of the house and into the open air, she'd be happier. "So, how long a walk is it to the house you mentioned last night?"

"Oh, stop complaining that you have friends now."

6 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose did not give Kess the privilege of eye-contact, choosing instead to walk in long strides, heels pounding into the ground. "You're not my friends," she hissed. 

"Fine. If you want to be called an 'associate' then I'll happily do it for you, friend!" She gives a sarcastic smile.

Edited by AmazingGoob

6 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose did not give Kess the privilege of eye-contact, choosing instead to walk in long strides, heels pounding into the ground. "You're not my friends," she hissed. 

"It's about a 15 minute walk, 10 minutes if you get lucky with the slum's pedestrian traffic. Also because you're tagging along with me, you're automatically my friend. That's just how it works, right Kess?" he grinned. 

Edited by Lecky Twig

Rose sighed. "That doesn't mean you're mine..." The anxious young woman kept her eyes on the ground, arms folded in a sort of self-shielding way. She felt like hiding or running away from the group and into the woods. Just... fade away from the world. Either that or whip around and strangle one of the people in the group. Hatred. That was what she felt. Hatred for the fear they made her feel. Being forced to tell her story, like an animal in a cage, forced to do tricks for entertainment. She was a creature to them. To everyone who saw her powers. Sure maybe Jahora shared the ability to move things beyond what should have been possible, but in many ways, that only made it worse; even among other magical kind, she was still an outsider.

55 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose sighed. "That doesn't mean you're mine..." The anxious young woman kept her eyes on the ground, arms folded in a sort of self-shielding way. She felt like hiding or running away from the group and into the woods. Just... fade away from the world. Either that or whip around and strangle one of the people in the group. Hatred. That was what she felt. Hatred for the fear they made her feel. Being forced to tell her story, like an animal in a cage, forced to do tricks for entertainment. She was a creature to them. To everyone who saw her powers. Sure maybe Jahora shared the ability to move things beyond what should have been possible, but in many ways, that only made it worse; even among other magical kind, she was still an outsider.

"You're projecting. Most of them actually like you, at least a little."

4 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Rose scoffed. "Maybe I don't want to be liked." It was a pitiful lie, but it was also the first thing that came out of her mouth. She would defend the statement no matter how stupid it was.

"If you say so, friend!"

Without hardly thinking, Rose swung around and grabbed Kess by the front of her shirt, pulling her roughly forward. Her hair was frizzy, and her eyes - still tinged red from crying - were wild. "I don't suggest you egg me on," she growled. "I don't think it would be very good for your health." 

39 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Without hardly thinking, Rose swung around and grabbed Kess by the front of her shirt, pulling her roughly forward. Her hair was frizzy, and her eyes - still tinged red from crying - were wild. "I don't suggest you egg me on," she growled. "I don't think it would be very good for your health." 

"Woah, calm down. It was just are joke, jokes are made to be funny; you don't need to get mad about it." He'd never seen a bounty hunter with so little resilience, this girl was hard-core. 

Poor Rose. She does not spend time around people hardly at all. 

"Oh?" Rose released Kess, walking up to Jahora. "And what about pointed teasing, hmm? Just. Leave. Me. The hellAlone. Please. And maybe don't go grilling someone for their past next time you meet them." 

12 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Oh?" Rose released Kess, walking up to Jahora. "And what about pointed teasing, hmm? Just. Leave. Me. The hellAlone. Please. And maybe don't go grilling someone for their past next time you meet them." 

"C'mon Rose, you need to let these thing slide. It was funny, well placed, a little ironic and all together a good joke. I'd give Kess a clap in the back for it if you weren't here to hate me for it. Also, people are mostly more open about their past. For example, Kieran ran away from a rich family and then lived in the forest, Kess wants her parents to be proud of her, I'd defer tbat she come from a well-off family. You however, had mahor mood swing whenever the topic was brought up. Usually I don't grill people on their past; you, buddy, are just a special case. "

2 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Ask yourself why you're so afraid of trusting us. Better yet, if you despise all of us so much, ask yourself why you haven't just left. Nobody's keeping you here." Kieran moves closer to Rose and whispers, "You might not trust me. You might even hate me. But deep down, you stay because you know that being alone is worse."

This sounds really dark now that I've written it out but I'm keeping it because I can't think of anything better.

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

10 minutes ago, Lecky Twig said:

"C'mon Rose, you need to let these thing slide. It was funny, well placed, a little ironic and all together a good joke. I'd give Kess a clap in the back for it if you weren't here to hate me for it. Also, people are mostly more open about their past. For example, Kieran ran away from a rich family and then lived in the forest, Kess wants her parents to be proud of her, I'd defer tbat she come from a well-off family. You however, had mahor mood swing whenever the topic was brought up. Usually I don't grill people on their past; you, buddy, are just a special case. "

"No, Jahora, she has a point. I should of stopped after the first joke. She was obviously not in the mood but I kept going. I apologise- but you really did need to open up a little about your past. It's unhealthy to keep stuff like that bottled up, no matter how much you want to keep it a secret."

7 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"Ask yourself why you're so afraid of trusting us. Better yet, if you despise all of us so much, ask yourself why you haven't just left. Nobody's keeping you here." Kieran moves closer to Rose and whispers, "You might not trust me. You might even hate me. But deep down, you stay because you know that being alone is worse."

"You stay out of it, Kieran! The only reason I'm here is for the money, you know that full well."

8 minutes ago, Lecky Twig said:

"And you." Rose ignored Kess's apology. In her anger, pebbles around her feet began to tremble. "You wanted me to tell you my past because you think it would help me. Well, here I am, still as messed up in the head, still as much of a monster. What makes you think you have any right to know where I come from? To humiliate me in front of everyone!"

The pebbles had risen off the ground and hung around her, in a sort of shield. They shook vigorously in the air. 

"You stay out of it, Kieran! The only reason I'm here is for the money, you know that full well."

"And you." Rose ignored Kess's apology. In her anger, pebbles around her feet began to tremble. "You wanted me to tell you my past because you think it would help me. Well, here I am, still as messed up in the head, still as much of a monster. What makes you think you have any right to know where I come from? To humiliate me in front of everyone!"

The pebbles had risen off the ground and hung around her, in a sort of shield. They shook vigorously in the air. 

You needn’t be humiliated by your past. I, for example, used to be part of a cult. Yes, that descion was one of the most embarrassing I’ve made, yet I don’t feel embarrassed telling you guys about it. Also those pebbles aren’t going to do you much good until you have more control over your power. If a heavier object comes flying at you, then them pebbles will just as easily turn into oncoming projectiles as outgoing ones.” He held out his hands and repelled his his against his necklace so it levitated, in all its golden glory, above his head. Then he smiled angelicly at Rose “We all have our tricks.”

Edited by Lecky Twig

14 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Telling your past wasn't a cure, Rose. It made it so we could at least try to understand and help you. And stop exaggerating. 'Everyone?' Really?"

Pebbles? Rose hadn't even noticed them. When she did, she paled and they immediately dropped to the floor. The world was spinning, her breath echoing in her ears. Two times in what day? What the storms was going on?! "No," she whispered, shaking her head. "I can't." With that, she sprinted away, shoving Jahora away. 

You can follow her if you wish, but I think she kinda needs the space. She'll come back. 

9 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Pebbles? Rose hadn't even noticed them. When she did, she paled and they immediately dropped to the floor. The world was spinning, her breath echoing in her ears. Two times in what day? What the storms was going on?! "No," she whispered, shaking her head. "I can't." With that, she sprinted away, shoving Jahora away. 

Jahora cast a look between the other “I’m not going after her. I’ve got this inkling of a feeling that that girl doesn’t like me. But if she’s gone a while than I’ll send one of you two to go check on her. She’s so unstable, I don’t really trust her to be by herself for too long.” He sighed and let his hat drop, wincing a little as it’s golden weight landed on his head. “D’ya think she’ll have another panic attack if we get a head start toward the house?”

Gosh, I wrote Rose so badly yesterday... :wacko:That's the one thing I really don't like about RPs; sometimes things get really messy with timelines and you can't really use any foreshadowing. Like, if I were to re-do this, I would switch the order of events around quite a bit. I've made Rose come off as just kind of an argumentative, easily-set-off jerk and that is... it's just not her and it makes me frustrated that now she's going to be viewed that way. The way things went down was just really really not good and I believe that's because of the fact that when RPing, everyone wants to participate. But Rose feels extremely crowded, which makes her feel threatened, which makes her act up like this. Whiiiiich makes her tiresome to write. :unsure: I would caution against trying to "fix" Rose. Our characters haven't even know each other for a day, yet they're weirdly attached to Rose and invested in helping her? I would think that people in the team would really be annoyed by her. Anyway, that's just my little rant. 

Rose's feet thumped against the cobblestones in a sprint. She didn't bother to look back to see if anyone was following her. After all, a part of her wanted someone to follow. A part buried very deep within her, yes, but it was there all the same. Her head was pounding and her vision was clouded. Whispers echoed in her mind, her breath coming deep and fast. Her run reminded her of another flight, one from the ruins of a prison disguised as an asylum; she had run for days and would have surely died if it hadn't been for her mother. Today though, she wouldn't be running for nearly as long; she was running to hide, not just to flee. 

After about ten minutes, Rose stumbled into an alleyway to catch her breath. Self-loathing twisted in her stomach and tears poured down her cheeks. Her hood was pulled over her face to keep anyone from seeing her while she sobbed. Why was she so bad with people? Her brother had been able to strike up a conversation with any bozo off the streets, but when Rose was around others she just... Oh, this was why she'd stayed in her room as a child!! Stuipid, stupid girl! Why did you take the partner job! You'd be better off on your own, you always have been.

Well, she'd always been on her own. She didn't know about the "better off" part.

She'd chosen bounty hunting so that she could avoid people. Kill them, in fact. How. How had she still ended up in a group and still managed to make an absolute monster of herself? She was a carnival attraction, a thing to poke and prod at. Why couldn't people just leave her alone! Treat her like a human being instead of seeing her oddities, her strangeness. She hated it, she hated it all, hated everyone. Not for the first time, Rose felt the desire to die. To fade away right here in this alley, melt into a puddle and just... cease to exist. Nothingness. That would be good. Better than this horror show she lived in. She sobbed harder, forehead resting on her arms. Perhaps she would stay here and die. Sit and just wait for the elements to take her. After all, she had nothing to live for.

Rose's feet thumped against the cobblestones in a sprint. She didn't bother to look back to see if anyone was following her. After all, a part of her wanted someone to follow. A part buried very deep within her, yes, but it was there all the same. Her head was pounding and her vision was clouded. Whispers echoed in her mind, her breath coming deep and fast. Her run reminded her of another flight, one from the ruins of a prison disguised as an asylum; she had run for days and would have surely died if it hadn't been for her mother. Today though, she wouldn't be running for nearly as long; she was running to hide, not just to flee. 

After about ten minutes, Rose stumbled into an alleyway to catch her breath. Self-loathing twisted in her stomach and tears poured down her cheeks. Her hood was pulled over her face to keep anyone from seeing her while she sobbed. Why was she so bad with people? Her brother had been able to strike up a conversation with any bozo off the streets, but when Rose was around others she just... Oh, this was why she'd stayed in her room as a child!! Stuipid, stupid girl! Why did you take the partner job! You'd be better off on your own, you always have been.

Well, she'd always been on her own. She didn't know about the "better off" part.

She'd chosen bounty hunting so that she could avoid people. Kill them, in fact. How. How had she still ended up in a group and still managed to make an absolute monster of herself? She was a carnival attraction, a thing to poke and prod at. Why couldn't people just leave her alone! Treat her like a human being instead of seeing her oddities, her strangeness. She hated it, she hated it all, hated everyone. Not for the first time, Rose felt the desire to die. To fade away right here in this alley, melt into a puddle and just... cease to exist. Nothingness. That would be good. Better than this horror show she lived in. She sobbed harder, forehead resting on her arms. Perhaps she would stay here and die. Sit and just wait for the elements to take her. After all, she had nothing to live for.

Yeah, the attachment thing is probably our fault. It's just a little boring to only have a associate relationship for the amount of time required, especially for the pace that this is going at, and even more so when the character in question is as interesting as Rose.

13 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

Ignore this. Quotes are annoying on mobile.

13 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

Jahora cast a look between the other “I’m not going after her. I’ve got this inkling of a feeling that that girl doesn’t like me. But if she’s gone a while than I’ll send one of you two to go check on her. She’s so unstable, I don’t really trust her to be by herself for too long.” He sighed and let his hat drop, wincing a little as it’s golden weight landed on his head. “D’ya think she’ll have another panic attack if we get a head start toward the house?”

"At this point, I'm half convinced offering her a free drink would give her a panic attack about human nature- but I think she'll be fine. Just give her some time."