Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

38 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared bristled. "She's not hiding from me. Her memory was wiped, and she doesn't remember me anymore. That's all."

Nekri glanced back at Jared pensively, bringing his horse out of the forest and back onto a paved out path again.

“That’s... gotta hurt,” he said with sudden thoughtfulness, then looked back in front of him. The sun had dipped below the horizon and night was spreading across the sky.

“Not having your own kin remember you... I mean, I have no kin so I can’t relate, but that’s gotta hurt.”

He rode a little more in silence.

“How’re you going to fix her memory? Is that possible?”

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Nekri glanced back at Jared pensively, bringing his horse out of the forest and back onto a paved out path again.

“That’s... gotta hurt,” he said with sudden thoughtfulness, then looked back in front of him. The sun had dipped below the horizon and night was spreading across the sky.

“Not having your own kin remember you... I mean, I have no kin so I can’t relate, but that’s gotta hurt.”

He rode a little more in silence.

“How’re you going to fix her memory? Is that possible?”

Jared scowled. "Of course it is. I'm sure."

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Jared scowled. "Of course it is. I'm sure."

He didn’t seem sure. Nekri said nothing.

The next few minutes were silent as they finally approached the town in the dead of night. Nekri introduced themselves as travellers to the weary gate guards and they were let in without further comment. Inside Dox-Marina itself, a sweeping mist covered the streets and back alleys, and the sounds of the town were... mostly silent.

Nekri hopped off his horse, looking around.

“I guess we could look for your sister now, if you want,” he said, frowning. “Though, the fact that it’s nighttime and everyone’s inside... plus the mist, it’s not going to help. Or, option two,”

He gestured to a squat building which advertised itself as a bar and inn. “We rent a room, sleep, then start searching first thing tomorrow. Maybe get a drink or two.”

Nekri shrugged. “What do you say?”

49 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared hesitated, looking into the mist, then sighed. "Fine. We'll sleep here."'

“Great,” Nekri said, then pointed at the inn. “You go inside and book us a room, I’ll get us some money to pay with since you clearly have none.”

Already he spotted a lonely looking man walking down the street. Nekri sighed. He hated muggings. They were all so easy.

Edited by I think I am here.

6 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

Jahora nodded slowly "Thanks, for sharing that with us. I have heard stories about the treatment of those people, but I have no personal experience regarding that topic. You don't need to be terrified of your powers, they are apart of you. There's no point being scared of yourself because frankly, you're not that scary. However, I do what it feels like to not belong in a family. My father left home as well, if that's any comfort...which it probably isn't." He knew where his father had gone, although part of him wished that Benja had just disappeared like Rose's did; he'd probably still be with his family if that was the case. "I assure you Rose that I am not like them I will not treat you like they did. But tell me one more thing, who do you hate? Your mother, your father? your aunt and uncle? everyone?" 

she never came back...That was probably how his younger siblings, Violet and Andy, had felt when Jahora had left home and never came back. Little of their love for him was genuine, but they still would have missed him. They probably would have felt like Rose did when her Mother left. He had seen his siblings once since he left them, that had been at Andy's death and because of that encounter, he had no intention of seeing Violet again. At least, not until Andy had been avenged. 

Rose furrowed her brow. An odd question to ask. And a hard one to answer. She considered. Riva and Darrin weren't hateable. It was her own fault they'd sent her to the asylum. And with the trauma of losing two of their children, she couldn't blame them for being a bit cold at times. They really had been decent guardians all things considered. No, the only one she hated was... "My mother," Rose said, voice sharp and low. She offered no explanation besides the look of wrath on her face. 

She was the cause of Maverick's death, she and all her secrets. Not sharing her powers and her identity with her family. Taking advantage of Rose's father. Then choosing to forget her own children so that she could be free of her own pain? She gripped the blanket, her knuckles white. "I hate my mother."

Rose went straight to the door, pulling her cloak on. She was impatient to get out into the open air. As she descended the stairs, she wondered to herself if there was anything she needed. There wasn't. Not that she could think of at least. Well, she should probably have had some breakfast, but she'd gone without for long enough. She'd get food later. With a sigh, she folded her arms. Hopefully today would go better than yesterday. 

Edited by Shard of Thought

38 minutes ago, Lecky Twig said:

“Yup, it’s about a five minute walk outside the slums. We can also go shopping if there’s anything you need.” With that, he walked out of the room and down the stairs to look for Kieran.

@Fallapede

Once everyone had calmed down somewhat, Kieran pulled himself up from the wall and began sorting his supplies. Remembering Jahora's earlier comments about charcoal, he went to go check the area around the vats.

2 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

“Yup, it’s about a five minute walk outside the slums. We can also go shopping if there’s anything you need.” With that, he walked out of the room and down the stairs to look for Kieran

@Fallapede

"Yeah... I need to get my stuff from the inn. I'll meet back up with you later- bye!"

She then leaves through the door without another word.

23 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Great,” Nekri said, then pointed at the inn. “You go inside and book us a room, I’ll get us some money to pay with since you clearly have none.”

Already he spotted a lonely looking man walking down the street. Nekri sighed. He hated muggings. They were all so easy.

Jared grumbled but did as he was told.

8 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared grumbled but did as he was told.

After Jared had gone inside, Nekri approached the man and masked himself in another illusion - a stereotypical criminal, big and burly. After a moments thought, he conjured the image of a large knife.

Then, he went to work.

The mugging was relatively straightforward. They often were. A little bit of intimidation and some handed-over monies, and he’d let the victim go free. It wasn’t like he could actually do anything.

After a moment Nekri entered the inn again, tossing a coin to the innkeeper. He realised he still looked like a muscly criminal but was too lazy to change it, so he just winked at Jared and assumed he’d understand.

“So,” he said. “What room did you get us? Maybe you can tell me something about this ‘silence’, too. I’ve gotten you to Dox-Marina, after all, haven’t I?”

6 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

After Jared had gone inside, Nekri approached the man and masked himself in another illusion - a stereotypical criminal, big and burly. After a moments thought, he conjured the image of a large knife.

Then, he went to work.

The mugging was relatively straightforward. They often were. A little bit of intimidation and some handed-over monies, and he’d let the victim go free. It wasn’t like he could actually do anything.

After a moment Nekri entered the inn again, tossing a coin to the innkeeper. He realised he still looked like a muscly criminal but was too lazy to change it, so he just winked at Jared and assumed he’d understand.

“So,” he said. “What room did you get us? Maybe you can tell me something about this ‘silence’, too. I’ve gotten you to Dox-Marina, after all, haven’t I?”

Jared looked distastefully at the knife. "We're upstairs," he responded, motioning for Nekri to follow. "We should be away from prying ears- this is sensitive information."

5 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Jared looked distastefully at the knife. "We're upstairs," he responded, motioning for Nekri to follow. "We should be away from prying ears- this is sensitive information."

Nekri followed.

“I guess, but it’s not like anyone would believe you even if they did hear, right? They’d probably just think we’re religious... or cultists, talking about magic.”

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

Nekri followed.

“I guess, but it’s not like anyone would believe you even if they did hear, right? They’d probably just think we’re religious... or cultists, talking about magic.”

"Better safe than sorry," replied Jared grimly.

On 02/02/2021 at 9:45 AM, AmazingGoob said:

"Yeah... I need to get my stuff from the inn. I'll meet back up with you later- bye!"

She then leaves through the door without another word.

Jahora gaze lingered at the door Kess had just walked out hopefully she won't be too long. He found Kieran "Hey, how are you feeling?" he asked "You seemed to be in pain earlier when we were all downstairs. Did you find that charcoal you were looking for?"

@Fallapede

Rose tapped her foot impatiently, trying to keep her mind off of the morning's events. She felt a bit like a caged animal, pacing. Maybe I should get food... she thought idly. Jahora had had a tray of stuff when she'd talked to him in the living room, perhaps she'd be able to pick from that. It was exactly where he'd left it, so she took a pastry and munched on it, her anxiety rising.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:32 AM, Lecky Twig said:

Jahora gaze lingered at the door Kess had just walked out hopefully she won't be too long. He found Kieran "Hey, how are you feeling?" he asked "You seemed to be in pain earlier when we were all downstairs. Did you find that charcoal you were looking for?"

@Fallapede

"The pain I felt wasn't mine. I was fine as soon as the rest of you calmed down. And yes, I did manage to find a suitable amount. Have you managed to reconcile with Rose?"

On 03/02/2021 at 0:39 AM, xinoehp512 said:

"Better safe than sorry," replied Jared grimly.

Nekri sighed, but didn’t make any more objections.

“Fine. You sound like one of those paranoid old men, sitting on a bench by the street.”

A side effect of his frustration, his illusion wavered, until he replaced it with one that looked less suspicious. He kept the knife, though. He liked the way it made Jared look uncomfortable.

@xinoehp512

Edited by I think I am here.

9 hours ago, Fallapede said:

"The pain I felt wasn't mine. I was fine as soon as the rest of you calmed down. And yes, I did manage to find a suitable amount. Have you managed to reconcile with Rose?"

"Mostly, she doesn't hate me as much as before, but I asked some pretty tough questions up there that she was reluctant to answer. I'd be surprised if she didn't still resent me a little."

21 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

"Yup, just waiting on Kess" Jahora called back

@AmazingGoob

Kess returns just as you finish your sentence, carrying a beat-up looking backpack. "Oh, I kinda expected you to leave. I would of caught up- though, this took less time than I thought, so we got lucky I guess."