Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows

Zephrun’s Imperium

Hi, all! I realized recently that I wish I was in more RPs, but I wanted it to be one that I created. So! I came up with an idea.

It's technically a CBST spin off, but y'all wouldn't have to know anything about CBST to join. Basically, I'll be playing a hardened young woman named Rose Oakenwey who has decided to become a bounty hunter and is struggling to combat her powers of future sight and telekinesis. The idea is to have it be super unstructured so literally anyone can join. I'll leave this post up and then tomorrow I'll just kick it off with Rose going to a tavern to find some information about a bounty. Because taverns are great places to start a fun adventure! Don't do anyone too OP, I suppose, but any investiture is fine with me. Rose herself doesn't fit into any cosmere magic systems, but... eh, I don't care. *shrug* Anyway, I hope there's interest in this, even though it's super unplanned and kinda random! :P If someone wants to meet up with Rose and start trying to befriend her, I'd love that.

It'll be set in a medieval-like time period on an unnamed planet. 

Also, here's Rose's character sheet:

Spoiler

Name: Rose Oakenwey

Magic: Future sight that gives her terrifying visions and splitting headaches and volatile telekinetic abilities that often coincide with her emotions

Appearance: 5'5'' with grey eyes and auburn hair. 19 years of age with hair down to her shoulder blades that's almost always in a braid. 

Details: Her father disappeared when she was a child and her mother left to go find him. She was sent to her aunt and uncle's house with her brother, but neither of her parents ever came back. While her younger brother Granite was immensely curious about their past and what became of their parents, Rose tried as best she could to forget everything that related to them. She was very very quiet and always kept to herself, but nightmares and seizures plagued her and no one knew why. Eventually, Granite ran away from home in search of their long-lost parents and Rose was sent to an insane asylum. It was there that she realized the extent of her powers and was able to use her telekinetic abilities to break free. Her future sight led her to her mother's palace and the things she learned there she buried deep inside and never wants to think about again...

Skills: Handy with a bow and arrow

Edited by Shard of Thought

I'm down to join in.  I usually roleplay girls, but I want to branch out a bit.

Name: Finch Giuseppe (Nicknamed: Trout)

Magic: Trout has the uncanny ability to survive without breathing.  It seems relatively useless, but the ability may branch out more.

Appearance: 6'1" with bright red hair, grown long into a small tail down his back, and brown-gold eyes. 23 years of age. 

Details: Literally just hangs around in his local town, fishing off the pier and diving for pearls.  His parents are in a fair amount of debt, for the purchase of their home.  He has a relatively simple, happy life helping them through it, weaving nets, singing loudly and off key, and being, in general, the roguishly handsome young man on the piers.  

Skills: Handy with a fishing fork (trident) and net

I'll join. 

My character

Spoiler

Name: Jahora Asper

Appearance: 25 year old male. Has blue eyes. Skinny, but has lean muscle. Wears long pants and loose shirt. Blonde, long but well cut hair. 

Magic: Magnectic manipulation. 

Details: slum dweller, informant, he also makes textiles. He is social and has connections in many different circles. relatively transparent for his profession. He is quite well-off but doesnt flaunt his wealth.

Skills: proficient at slum-style street fights, good with butterfly knifes. 

Edited by Lecky Twig

Character ^_^:

Spoiler

Name: Nekri

Magic: Illusion Magic (basically Lightweaving without the stormlight) so he can fabricate visuals and sounds but he has to be within a certain distance (about 20 meters). If he gets emotional, the illusions grow erratic  and unpredictable.

Appearance: Is always wrapping himself in one illusion or another to keep his real appearance a closely-guarded secret. Usually appears as male and a young adult, though not always.

Details: Abandoned at birth, grew up in an orphanage then burned it down later. He’s been wandering through multiple areas trying to make enough money so that he might be able to locate his real parents. Bounty hunting seemed like a good way to make quick money.

Skills: Skilled with his magic and his knife.

Alright! This seems fun!

Character:

Spoiler

the Mandolorian

Name: um, I’m terrible with names. I can think of any. :( Edit: Topien Daku. Thanks, Shard of thought!

Magic: not really magic, but he is a really, really, good punchy guy hand-to-hand fighter and other close-up fighting. Sometimes, when really powerful, can see what opponent will do before they do it. (Kind of like Atium, but not as powerful, and lasts longer.)

Appearance: 5’8, humanoid, slightly red skin, has a pampered look about him. He’s 24 years old.

Details: He grew up in a very rich environment; with his parents being super-rich nobles. When he was 19, a group of bandits snuck into his house and killed his parents, then left with most of the money. He’s been on his own ever since, and it’s been hard because he grew up not having to do anything for himself.

Skills: Hand-to-hand, whittling, and can blend in so well sometimes he looks like he disappears. He learned this because I’d he didn’t he would stand out on the streets.

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

FYI, I'm gonna change the title of this thread to "Oakenwey: Thorns & Arrows" some time today. Just so no one freaks out when they can't find this thread.  

Also, Rose will use Rosharian curses. If you know anything about CBST, it will make sense why, but I think if I explained it, it would just be confusing. :P

And @Bearer of all agonies I have a ton of names. Wanna use Topien Daku?

Rose Oakenwey strode into the run-down tavern with her eyes down. No one even looked up when she walked in. After all, she was hardly of any consequence and no one could possibly know that she was in the business of death; she'd only just started a few days ago. Rose had always lived under the eyes of those around her. Before, it had been because she didn't want her aunt and uncle to worry too much about her. Their coddling only reminded her of the parents who'd abandoned her. (No, she thought. Her father hadn't abandoned her; he didn't deserve her scorn... His only sin was falling in love with the creature who'd birthed Rose and her brother.) But now, it was because secrecy afforded her protection. No one expected a thin young girl to be the kind of person looking to snap a neck and that was how she liked it. 

Of course, her previous coldness had eventually landed her in a straitjacket...

She scowled. She was not insane; she knew that now. Unbidden memories of being hauled away to the asylum flashed in her head with a sharpness that she now knew was supernatural. Terror. Helplessness. The feeling of betrayal... It was flashes such as these that encouraged her not to dwell on her past. Not that she needed any reason at all... 

"A drink, miss?" someone said, snapping her out of her trance. 

Rose looked up at the bar-tender, a minor headache beginning to form. If she drank, that headache would only get worse. "Just water, thanks. And whatever soup you have back there." She hadn't eaten much for the past few days. Of course, a few weeks ago, she'd eaten to her heart's content, in a dinning room at least fifty feet high with a massive hearth and light fixtures that-

Stop it, she thought. Her mother's wealth and power only made her abandonment less excusable. You could have lived with us in a mansion and instead you chose to raise me and Granite in a cottage. You are not my mother. Stormfather, she wished those thoughts could have been picked up by that devil of a woman. She was a telepath after all. 

"Miss?"

Rose jumped, realizing that her food was waiting for her. How long had she been thinking? Stupid girl! Focus, storm you!!! "Yes, sorry," she muttered. She fished in her pocket for a coin. It was more than enough for the food, but she didn't have any lower denominations of money and didn't care enough to pay a more reasonable price. "Keep the change." 

The waitress who'd brought her soup raised her eyebrows. "Th-thank you," she said. 

Rose had probably just made that woman's day - No, her month - and couldn't have care less. Money was of little consequence to her. She'd have to keep practicing, but eventually she hoped to be able to will other people's change to her own pocket. For now, she'd get by with what she had. Her telekinesis was far too volatile for any stunt like that.

She was supposed to meet some sort of informant here. The man who'd given her the information about her bounty - she'd forgotten his name - had promised that she'd know them when she saw them, but... Well, either she was far too new at this or it wasn't near as obvious as he'd implied. Any one of the people in this room could very well have helped her. Well, whatever. She'd deal with that in a moment. Right now, she just wanted to dig into this soup.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
Spoiler

My character!

Name: Jæstin Bond

Magic: Jæstin can shapeshift into living, extinct, and made up animals, however, he cannot change his head as it will cause him to think like the animal. He can only hold this shapeshift for up to a day.  As his timer runs out, he can switch to a different species, this allows him to use some forms indefinitely. 

Appearance: When he is not shapeshifting, he has blond hair, very pale skin, and pale blue eyes. He looks similar to a big baby. If he goes for a long time without shapeshifting, he will tan and his hair and eyes will darken. 

Details: He was two when he first shapeshifted. Unfortunately he didn't know how to use his powers, so he could only change all the way. He spent most of the first decade of his life as various animals. He has no memories of his parents, and doesn't really care about looking for them.

Skills: He has learned how to use his shapeshifting quite well. He is pretty skilled in hand-to-hand combat. He has a basic knowledge of swordplay, but not much.

Jahora leant beside the tavern's front door as a lady walked inside. Grey eyes, auborn hair, about 20 years old; if his infomation was correct, then this was Rosa Oakenway. And if Rosa had arrived, then Tydel, the other local informant wouldn't be far behind. 

He fingered the red fabric of his pants, made by the textile shop that fronted for his other business and waited for a few minutes, listening to the rowdy merriment inside of the tavern. 

He looked up as he heard approaching boots crunch on the night's crisp grass. There he was, neatly cropped beard, gold brimmed top hat, perfectly tailored tailcoat, iconic: Tydel. 

Jahora melted into the shadows as Tydel walked approached his position. He breathed in slowly to calm himself as he contemplated the desicion he was about to make, a desicion he'd been putting off for years.... Until a few days ago when Rosa came into the picture, new to the job, few connections in the community. Rosa wouldn’t know him, and therefore she wouldn't be able to jude him. He breathed out. 

Jahora manipulated his and Tysen's metal coat buttons and flew out in sudden motion, arms swinging, knifes flying attacking the unsuspecting Tysen in quick motion. Then, it was over. He swiped the top hat off Tydel's bloody mess on the ground and walked into the tavern, spinning the hat around his fingers. 

He walked up to Rosa and sat beside her, looking intently at her eyes. "I have your next target" he said, putting on his all-knowing informanty voice and holding up a brown leather folder. "I'll give you her info, and tell you the sum of your reward if you agree to hunt her on one condition." he said, gulping slowly as he arranged the requirement in his mind. "I am going to join you on this bounty hunt."

Then he set the folder on the table and opened it up revealing a photo and a few files of a stunning young women, Selene Drumencosta, formally Selene Apser; the heartbreaker, the hopeslayer, the ol' devil's dux. Rahora's eyes were filled with the image of her thick blonde hair and emerald green eyes. He rubbed his temples and clenched his eyes tight. "Will you hunt with me, to settle the grudge I have with this women? " he said to Rosa.  He sighed as he thought to himself, I'm finally off to kill my ex. 

So, I created my male informant character before reading @Shard of Thought's post. Then Rosa said she was waiting for an informant.

I love coincidences. 

Edited by Lecky Twig

I mean, SOME context about CBST would be nice, especially since the actual CBST topic isn't any help for obvious reasons. I'll join anyway, though.
Character:

Spoiler

Name: Kess Kerendottir
Description: A tall, 21-year-old woman with black hair and a sharp face. She wears a rough white cloak/cape and grey coat, along with some leather boots.
Magic: 
Color summoning: If a user has access to a color, they can drain an object of that color to create an strong, glass-like substance of the color. Each color has a different magical property, as listed here.
How complicated a construction can be isn't technically limited, but it requires a deal of finesse that Kess doesn't quite have.
Extra note: This material can be created from the hands for from the tip of a utensil of the user's choice.

Clear: Powerless, but color-free to create.
Red: Debilitates anyone injured by it, killing people who are sick, injured, old, or otherwise weaker. Extremely painful.
Orange: Extremely hot to anyone but the user.
Yellow: Emits bright light.
Green: Heals anyone it stabs, including the wound it created.
Blue: Extremely cold to anyone but the user.
Violet: Creates clouds of pure blackness that leaks from the material.

Background: Coming from a rich family, when her powers were revealed her parents encouraged them, training her in the sword, and even buying expensive purple dyes for her to practice that color as well.
Now, she's left home and became a bountyhunter, having practicing her powers for years but having very little actual practical experience.

32 minutes ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

Topien watched all of this happening from the shadows. He walked toward, and sat down at the bar, watching. He put a coin on the counter. “Ale.” The barkeep took the coin, and rushed off to do as asked. 

Nekri just happened to be sitting next to the stool the red-skinned man sat at, swirling his fruit juice (which he’d disguised to look like gin) in boredom. The man seemed like one of those fighter-types, though there was no denying a wealthy sort of presence in the way he held himself. Not wanting to be seen staring, he idly took a sip from his glass.

That air of wealth, however, couldn’t hold a candle to the man who’d sauntered in here just now with a gold-brimmed top hat. Risky play, that, but any mugger worth their weight in silver knew that a man who showed his wealth so boldly was a man who had ways to defend himself. Powerful ways. So Nekri watched his interactions with a young woman out of the corner of his eye.

Nekri had no such fanciful clothing of his own. The character he wore, the skin and face and build of a plain working boy was complex enough. Nekri kept the illusion strong, holding his glass up and inspecting his reflection in the mirror. Those eyes were too light. Better darken them slightly. And those teeth — Nekri altered his illusion slightly, made the teeth just a little uneven.

Perfect.

He noticed the red-skinned man beside him was watching the top hat guy as well. Observant for a fighter-type.

“You know...” Nekri said quietly, glancing towards the man. He changed his voice slightly, too, made it better fit the illusion he wore. He’d never reveal his true voice or face. “I have a feeling that top hat man isn’t exactly here just to drink.”

@Bearer of all agonies

Topien started. He was paying too much attention to the top hat man. He looked over at Nekri, narrowing his eyes. Then he shook his head. 
“No. Definitely not. He’s very rich, and isn’t afraid to show it. What do you think he’s doing here, exactly?”

4 minutes ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

“No. Definitely not. He’s very rich, and isn’t afraid to show it. What do you think he’s doing here, exactly?”

Articulate, too. Nekri was beginning to believe this red-skinned man was more than met the eye. Much more. Some people got angry when Nekri talked to them, caught them staring at others, but this man... he was opening up a conversation.

Not wanting to break character, he kept his head low, swirling his glass again.

“I wouldn’t know, sir. I just work the mill.”

A pause. Nekri raised his head slightly, meeting the man’s eyes which a mischievous grin. He couldn’t resist.

“But if I had to guess,” he said, sipping his juice. “It’s something to do with that girl he’s talking to. She doesn’t exactly look tavern-standard either.”

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

But if I had to guess,” he said, sipping his juice. “It’s something to do with that girl he’s talking to. She doesn’t exactly look tavern-standard either.”

“Those two are up to something. Black Market? Bounty?” 

@Lecky Twig Jahora didn't kill that guy inside the tavern, did he? Also, uh, her name is Rose, not Rosa. :P And another thing. I think if Rose saw his magnetism power, she'd think he was telekinetic too and that would be really good for her. She was considered insane because of her powers and knowing someone else had powers to would make her feel better about herself. 

Mmm, I suppose some context for CBST might be nice for you guys. I decided to forgo it because CBST is very complicated and very messy, but I will give you as bare a summary as I possibly can. And, considering it's related to Rose (who only has, like, two posts about her in the whole RP??) I can promise it won't be too long. 3 paragraphs. 

Spoiler

First of all, many of CBST's characters are Narrators; beings who have the ability to manipulate reality by, well, Narrating. Rose's mother is a Narrator named Star. (Star being the main character of CBST) When Star was very young, she fell in love with a character named Maverick and through Narration made him her husband. But 10 years after their marriage, the other Narrators got jealous of Star and decided to rip her life apart. They kidnapped Maverick and forced Star to go find him. Before Star left on her journey to rescue him, she took her two children - 8 year old Rose and 6 year old Granite - and dropped them off at the home of Granite's brother and his wife. Star, however, would never return. 

I won't get into specifics because that would take too long, but the Narrators drove Maverick to suicide. Mav died in his wife's arms. After this, Star decided that in her anguished state she was no longer fit to raise her children and that they would be better off without her. In fact, to save herself from more grief, she erased her own memories of her son and daughter. After some time, Riva and Darrin (Mav's brother and his wife) realized that Rose and Granite's parents weren't coming back. As you can imagine, they were a little bitter about it, but compassionate towards the two children they were forced to adopt. Granite grew up incredibly curious about his parents, but Rose decided to bury everything as deep down as she possibly could. 

Years later, when Granite was 15, he left home, intent on finding his parents. He did eventually find his mother and learn the truth about everything. (Star's memories of him and Rose came back upon seeing his face) From Rose's post, you know what happens next; Rose's mental state getting worse, her aunt and uncle deciding to send her to the asylum, then Rose eventually breaking out. Rose's future sight led her - exhausted, starved, and thirsty - to a castle hidden in the woods. It was there that she finally learned the truth of what had happened 10 years ago and the truth about Narrators. There that she found her mother, now re-married and pregnant, with more family she hadn't even known about. Strange family, with powers just like Star. Rose was furious. Her mother wanted her to stay, but Rose left and vowed she'd never come back. 

The man said that like it was a bad thing. Joining her. Having someone at her side would be far safer for her, especially since this was her first time on the job. The only bad thing she could think of would be that he might take some of her prize money and that was perfectly fine with her. "You can come along with me," she said, slightly distracted, "that's fine. How much is she worth?" She gazed at the image of her target. Blonde hair. Like her mother. Yes, she'd be willing to kill this woman. Damnation, she would have killed Star for free... Rose shook herself. "What's her name?"

4 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Jahora didn't kill that guy inside the tavern, did he? Also, uh, her name is Rose, not Rosa. :P And another thing. I think if Rose saw his magnetism power, she'd think he was telekinetic too and that would be really good for her. She was considered insane because of her powers and knowing someone else had powers to would make her feel better about herself. 

The fight happened outside the Tavern. Sorry aboht the Rosa/Rose thing. I'm in my phone at the moment, so I'm likely to make more mistakes somewhere along the line. I dont that Jahora would reveal his magic to strangers. But when our characters are properly introduced I'll flaunt his magnitism aeound a little. 

5 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

The man said that like it was a bad thing. Joining her. Having someone at her side would be far safer for her, especially since this was her first time on the job. The only bad thing she could think of would be that he might take some of her prize money and that was perfectly fine with her. "You can come along with me," she said, slightly distracted, "that's fine. How much is she worth?" She gazed at the image of her target. Blonde hair. Like her mother. Yes, she'd be willing to kill this woman. Damnation, she would have killed Star for free... Rose shook herself. "What's her name?"

Jahora relaxed a little at Rose's acceptance of his request. "I'll give you $60 000 when we kill Selene. Or at least she was called Selene when I" he hesitated and lowered his voice to a whisper "when I was married to her." He took a swig of his drink to wet his dry throat "But I have a feeling she's trapezed around with names other than that." he said, chuckling softly and pushing the leather folder towards her "here, you can have this, I already know everything in it." He fiddled with the top hat on the table "We share the 'means of excecution' cost though, I'm not really as rich as this hat suggests."

He waved a nearby waitress over and ordered a bowl of soup. "There's a few pairs of eyes watching us" he said to Rose. "We should pretend that we're just two friends catching up before we embark on our hunt. I'm Jahora by the way."