LeoShervey

Question

Okay so considering the fact that Sazed picked up two shards at his Ascension, does that make him the most powerful being in the cosmere? Or would that title depend on which shards were combined? For example, the opposite nature of Ruin and Preservation make changes hard for Sazed. If someone, say Rayse, were to have shattered Preservation and picked up Ruin, would that be a more powerful combo? Regardless, would Sazed be able to contend with Rayse given he is Harmony (Ruin AND Preservation) and Rayse is only Odium?

8 answers to this question

In terms of raw power available to him, I'm pretty sure Sazed is objectively the strongest of the shards.  but he has trouble using it due to the nature of the shards he holds.  there are WoBs on this though, like this one:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/249-waygate-foundation-write-a-thon/#e7318

Questioner

Is Harmony stronger than Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

Harmony has two shards. So by raw power he is stronger than Odium. Odium is much more warrior-minded and killing-minded, so I don't know if Harmony could actually beat him. But Odium is scared of Harmony.

I think due to the nature of his shard's Intent, Harmony would have trouble stopping Odium completely, but might be a very powerful moderating force on him.

Ruin would absolutely love Odium's intent, but Preservation would be all for stopping Odium's death march. I think that combined they would keep Odium from going overboard, but be completely incapable of stopping him.

13 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I think due to the nature of his shard's Intent, Harmony would have trouble stopping Odium completely, but might be a very powerful moderating force on him.

Ruin would absolutely love Odium's intent, but Preservation would be all for stopping Odium's death march. I think that combined they would keep Odium from going overboard, but be completely incapable of stopping him.

That makes it interesting though as Odium hasn't gone for Ruin or Preservation as far as we know. I'm pretty sure that Trell isn't Odium but I'm not sure what is happening in terms of that on Scadrial. But if Odium managed to kill Sazed, like Ruin killed Preservation then Odium could Shatter Preservation and pick up Ruin as a second. However, would he even be able to separate them anymore? Have the Shards become one shard now? Is very interesting imo. But I 100% can see a Harmony x Odium clash in the near future. Maybe in which Harmony actually surrenders to Odium in order to embed the stopping power of Preservation within him.

13 hours ago, LeoShervey said:

That makes it interesting though as Odium hasn't gone for Ruin or Preservation as far as we know. I'm pretty sure that Trell isn't Odium but I'm not sure what is happening in terms of that on Scadrial. But if Odium managed to kill Sazed, like Ruin killed Preservation then Odium could Shatter Preservation and pick up Ruin as a second. However, would he even be able to separate them anymore? Have the Shards become one shard now? Is very interesting imo. But I 100% can see a Harmony x Odium clash in the near future. Maybe in which Harmony actually surrenders to Odium in order to embed the stopping power of Preservation within him.

Saze would drop Harmony.

Questioner

Does Odium actually present a real threat to Harmony, because he-- *interrupted*

Brandon Sanderson

So Harmony is vastly more powerful than Odium.

Questioner

Yeah. 

Brandon Sanderson

Elend was vastly more powerful than Vin. Who would win in a fight?

Questioner

Vin.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, there's your answer.

White Sand vol.1 release party (June 28, 2016)

As for Odium not going after Preservation and Ruin, why would he? They were very opposed with one another and probably already trying to kill each other.

8 hours ago, Honorless said:

As for Odium not going after Preservation and Ruin, why would he? They were very opposed with one another and probably already trying to kill each other.

Plus Roshar was not supposed to take as long as it has. Let either Ruin or Preservation kill the other, and then mop up the wounded shard later. 

Edited by teknopathetic