Similar to the Reod - Dawncities and Shattered Plains

teknopathetic

We have a new WOB saying that what is happening on Roshar (bad connection) is similar to something else (almost certainly the chasm line causing the Reod).

We have been led to believe that the issue Mishram being imprisoned, but what about the dawncity shapes? With one dawncity destroyed, could that loss of land be causing an issue with the tones/connection of Roshar? It is entirely possible the shattered plains and Misharm are connected, but I do wonder if the dawncity shapes may have had a function on the planet and the loss of one is causing something similar to the reod?

I am convinced Kabsal showing Shallan the tones and the shapes must mean something beyond "oh cool"

Edited by teknopathetic

I’m not convinced that’s true. Firstly on Sel the investiture is trapped in the cognitive and thus the location of it is important. We know this is not the case on roshar. Secondly while the shattered planes were obviously wrecked by something, the dawncity of akinah was also destroyed, presumably by the sleepless to keep people from exploring it yada yada dawnshard spoilers. I don’t believe the sleepless would purposefully inflict mass damage on the world of roshar. However the connection between the reod and Mishrim’s imprisonment is great theory and in my opinion holds hella water. 

While not disagreeing or agreeing with main theory to this:

2 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

I am convinced Kabsal showing Shallan the tones and the shapes must mean something beyond "oh cool"

I think this is mainly connected to how Venli said that "Those Rocks remember song that shaped them". The Dawncities were probably all made by the songs of ancient Singers, with use of ancient Surges.

21 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

I’m not convinced that’s true. Firstly on Sel the investiture is trapped in the cognitive and thus the location of it is important. We know this is not the case on roshar. Secondly while the shattered planes were obviously wrecked by something, the dawncity of akinah was also destroyed, presumably by the sleepless to keep people from exploring it yada yada dawnshard spoilers.

I don't think it is the constructed city that is making the sound, but that spot in particular. The city is build around the sound pattern generated at that place, but it is the location that is important. Akinah wasn't shattered (despite the rumours), but Natanatan was. Heck, even the human cities stayed close to the original pattern well after the Singer cities were levelled by human conquest. People can STILL see the patterns after at least 4000 years... That is insane!

I could very well see the dawnsingers going to places of power and calling-up cities around the nexuses (nexi?) of power. The singers noticed the spots and decided to build powerful cities on them. Eventually in human times, something blows one up and this causes everything to go haywire in conjunction or in tandem with Mishrim. If there are tones associated with geographical locations, what is the consequence of losing one (especially to spren or greatshells who are native to the area). 

It just seems odd to me that we have these ten cities on ten siezmatic patterns that correspond to tones. That should mean something. We know the location magic on Sel has a lot to do with the energy being shoved into the cognitive realm, but that does not mean that physical location only matters when energy is locked into the cognitive realm. Why was Elantris built where it was? Why did the dawnsingers choose the spots they did? How does physical location fit into magic systems where the power is locked to a system (like Roshar?). Something is here, and it seems a lot like the Reod (like maybe the tones are a little wrong now?)

Edited by teknopathetic

11 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

I’m not convinced that’s true. Firstly on Sel the investiture is trapped in the cognitive and thus the location of it is important. We know this is not the case on roshar. Secondly while the shattered planes were obviously wrecked by something, the dawncity of akinah was also destroyed, presumably by the sleepless to keep people from exploring it yada yada dawnshard spoilers. I don’t believe the sleepless would purposefully inflict mass damage on the world of roshar. However the connection between the reod and Mishrim’s imprisonment is great theory and in my opinion holds hella water. 

If saving Roshar meant destroying a part of it, I think the Sleepless definitely would.  But I do agree that the theory is shaky.  

On 12/29/2020 at 6:35 PM, teknopathetic said:

I don't think it is the constructed city that is making the sound, but that spot in particular. The city is build around the sound pattern generated at that place, but it is the location that is important.

I think it’s more like that’s the tone that resonated in that part of the world and the singers sang it into the shape of the city which resonates with that sound.  Effectively all 3 make that sound.  The land, the singers who shaped the land into that shape, and the shape itself makes the sound like a tuning fork makes its tune because of its shape.

Back to the shattered planes:

I expect the land there has a tone associated with it that governs the symmetry of the shattering that has been noted many times.  

On 12/29/2020 at 2:44 PM, teknopathetic said:

We have a new WOB saying that what is happening on Roshar (bad connection) is similar to something else (almost certainly the chasm line causing the Reod).

I imagine it's more similar to what happens to seons when their bondmate gets taken by the broken Shaod. Specifically, they go mindless and wander around.

Wasn't Stormseat (The Shattered Planes) destroyed during Aharietiam, or possibly earlier, thousands of years before the Recreance? I don't see how, after thousands of years without problems, that destruction would suddenly start causing the connection issues we see after the Recreance.

Sel is somewhat unique in how location based it's investiture is. Because the investiture is coming from the Cognative Realm, which has direct parallels to locations in the physical, rather than the Spiritual Realm (as on Roshar), which does not. 

Edited by Kuldak

I think the way in which they are similar is in how the deadeyes/seons are affected. In Elantris, the earthquake cuts off the seons Connection to Devotion, essentially making them deadeyes.

On Roshar, we know that Odium became part of the system (one of the tones), which we now know Connected all of Roshar to BAM (including the spren). Prior to the imprisonment, the breaking of a Radiant bond would presumably return a spren to the Cognitive, but with BAM being trapped in the Physical the spren are instead trapped ( as she is their only valid Connection). Look at this quote from Kalak's epigraphs about what happened when Jezrien was trapped (the Heralds are essentially spren Connected to Honor):

"The bond is what keeps us alive. You sever that, and we will slowly decompose into ordinary souls—with no valid Connection to the Physical or Spiritual Realms." - Kalak (Sanderson, Brandon. Rhythm of War).