What would you want Way of Kings to be adapted into?

therosharian

I’ve read on the wiki about how DMG has acquired rights for a movie series adaptation of the Cosmere and i wonder, if a movie would be the best way to go about it. I know there’s already been a discussion thread on something similar before.. but it’s been 8 years since then, maybe some sentiments have changed. 

I think it’s likely for cosmere to be adapted into a tv series like GOT and the expanse but unlike either of them, the cosmere is less grounded. It’s more fantasy with a rich and diverse world. I’m afraid of how much justice that aspect will be given when represented on a live screen. Or how well casting would be done for characters. 
like will they be able to capture all the races on roshar the way they were described in the book, or will it turn out like the expanse... where the belters who we supposed to be the tallest.. just end up looking as short as everyone else. 

I think the beauty of the cosmere is in the diversity of the magic systems and its characters and I feel it would be done so much justice in an anime format. 
‘something like in the style of Wit Studio’s Vinland Saga or even something like Attack on Titan. A more realistic approach to the animation style while maintaining the spirit and flexibility of animation would make for an excellent adaptation

what do you guys think? 

I think the best bet for cosmere is a live action show, with really long episodes. Like Sherlock, but bigger. A lot bigger. 

sincerely doubt it would be good as an anime, it doesn’t seem to fit that style at all in my opinion. The cosmere is this huuuuge epic fantasy, it would need to seem that huge on the screen. Like, imagine if, instead of the movies, LOTR was adapted into an anime. It would be soooo different, and in my opinion, much worse. 

I do doubt that the entire cosmere story will be told in the same format. We might get some movies, some live action shows, some anime shows, I just very much doubt that anime would be best for the entire thing. 
Here’s how I would break the whole cosmere down: (I know the topic title is specifically about WoK, but whatever, the OP talks about the cosmere as a whole and so will I. Also it’s in the cosmere discussion subforum rather than just the SA one, so yeah.)

SA would be best as a live action TV series, it’s too big to properly tell the story any other way. I imagine it very LOTR-like. That sort of cinematography, that sort of soundtrack. Just making it all very epic. 

Mistborn best as a movie series, especially era 2. Wax and Wayne are the most cinematic characters Brandon’s written imo, they absolutely belong on the big screen.

Warbreaker best as an anime, that art style could probably do a lot with the whole color magic thing. 

Elantris would probably be best as a single movie, but I can maybe see it being an anime. Maybe an animated show, but not necessarily an anime. Maybe an animated movie, I haven’t considered that option yet. 

White Sand could be a good animated show, maybe made to match the comic art style. So not really an anime, just animated. 

6th of the Dusk could be expanded into a rather nice TV show I think. A lot smaller than what I imagine the SA show to be, this could be something more traditional, 40 minute episodes, etc. This could be a very artistic show if done correctly, I can imagine the show making great use of silence and cinematography to tell its story, as Dusk doesn’t talk much.  

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell could be a pretty good (and bear with me here) musical. It’s a short enough story that it wouldn’t need a whole movie or a show to tell it completely, and it’s rather intense and emotional, prefect for the stage. I guess it could technically be a play, not a musical, but I think some dramatic music could capture the tension of the story pretty well. And imagine the funny contradictions of a character named Silence bursting out into song XD. 

And yeah, those are my opinions, I think that’s every cosmere story, remind me if I forgot one. 

I’d love a 2D animated Stormlight show, personally. Roshar is such an alien planet, and I think animation would be able to bring out the setting really beautifully. Unless the budget is massive, I don’t know if a live action Stormlight production would be able to capture the majesty of Roshar, with its unique flora and fauna, not to mention the spren, which seem practically made for animation. And I think Shadesmar would look fantastic illustrated (especially those highstorms). 

I think Mistborn could make an excellent video game. All of the (allomantic) powers are pretty close to powers we already see in video games. Steel and iron behave similarly to telekinesis spells, tin and bronze senses would be easy to reproduce, etc. Brass and Zinc are more useful outside of combat, but they could be programmed too.

Imagine trying to make a video game out of the ten surges, though. You'd have to bring up a GUI for every individual lashing. Soulcasting would have to be extremely simple, and tension . . . Well, I'm not much of a programmer, but I know it would be almost impossible.

7 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Imagine trying to make a video game out of the ten surges, though. You'd have to bring up a GUI for every individual lashing. Soulcasting would have to be extremely simple, and tension . . . Well, I'm not much of a programmer, but I know it would be almost impossible.

I have two words for you: 4X

...okay technically that's a number and a letter, but hopefully you see my point.

Daniel Greene mentioned this on his guest appearance in Shardcast and the idea hasn't left my head ever since. "Total War: Roshar" I can see it now!

Roshar would be genuinely perfect for a fantasy RPG. The magic system by its very nature encourages roleplay- what quests and dialogue you choose affects what spren you attract, which affects what powers you can get. There are literally level ups baked into the system. There are cool beasties to fight, and cool artifacts to find

On 12/30/2020 at 1:50 AM, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

Roshar would be genuinely perfect for a fantasy RPG. The magic system by its very nature encourages roleplay- what quests and dialogue you choose affects what spren you attract, which affects what powers you can get. There are literally level ups baked into the system. There are cool beasties to fight, and cool artifacts to find

I could see it as an RPG for sure. Especially one totally separated from the main characters. I could see a great Bioware style Mass Effect/Dragon Age story being told on Roshar -- or better yet, in the Cosmere as a whole! 

5 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I could see it as an RPG for sure. Especially one totally separated from the main characters. I could see a great Bioware style Mass Effect/Dragon Age story being told on Roshar -- or better yet, in the Cosmere as a whole! 

I want this so badly. Imagine:

You pick from one of three major planets:

Nalthis

Roshar

Scadrial

Then:

N- human or Returned

R - Human or Singer

S - human or Koloss blood

Then you pick religion/culture and nationality:

N - Austre, Iridescent Tones, the Pahn Kahl religion (I forgot what it’s called).

R - Nationality (Ie. Alethi, Herdazian) and religion. If a Singer, you can choose to be a Listener.

S - North or South Scadrian and religious background. You can also choose the Koloss culture.

Then you design a character, with certain options locked depending on your choices. Each world will have a different variation.

For Nalthis, you get asked a series of questions designed to create your background. All Nalthians begin with one Breath (or Divine Breath.) You can gain more throughout the initial storyline - or just buy more if you have enough money.

Rosharans get a similar quiz, but with a focus on personality. This influences which Spren/orders will initially be  interested in you, though your choices in the initial storyline also have significant interest.

Scadrians get a similar quiz to Nalthians. Depending on their background they can then get the option to have a Feruchemical power, an allomantic power, or one of each or none. South Scadrians are more likely to get none, but they also start out with medallion access. Koloss bloods are less likely to get powers, but start out with extra strength, health, etc. Powers are assigned randomly, with the exception of A-Duralumin (which is only given to twinborn). Medallion tech allows Scadrians to gain other powers.

You begin in a major city on each planet:

N - Hallandren 

R - Urithiru

S - Elendel

And proceed from there, with your story shaped by your unique background and abilities.

There are also several world hopper groups around that your character can join. Which ones are available will vary depending on the world. Certain groups will be easier to join on specific planets. There are other ways to learn about the Cosmere too.

Khriss, Nazh, and Hoid will be quest givers on all the worlds. Completing quests for them can reveal the Cosmere.

Once your character learns to Worldhop they will be able to travel to different Cosmere worlds.

First of the Sun will be where you go for legendary monster battles.

Here's the thing.  A lot of people say Stormlight would be best as an anime or other animated medium, and logically, I get that.  But I can't connect to animated characters.  Not the way I connect to live-action.  It just doesn't feel real.  I don't feel like the characters are in danger.  There are exceptions to this, but very rarely.  

So I say live-action TV series, because as much as I want to sit in a theater in absolute awestruck chills as Kaladin does... Kaladin things (one liners, Ideals, more one-liners), a TV series would be better to get more story told.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:31 AM, Dannex said:

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell could be a pretty good (and bear with me here) musical. It’s a short enough story that it wouldn’t need a whole movie or a show to tell it completely, and it’s rather intense and emotional, prefect for the stage. I guess it could technically be a play, not a musical, but I think some dramatic music could capture the tension of the story pretty well. And imagine the funny contradictions of a character named Silence bursting out into song XD. 

Omg!!!!!!!??!?!! I love this idea, although I'm not sure a musical could capture the spooky aura of the story

We will never see a large scale, high budget anime production for the Cosmere.  It's too high of an investment with a pretty small target audience.  Stormlight Archive alone could be as big as Game of Thrones.  

I personally would love to see an animated series, especially for Stormlight.  I think it would lend itself nicely to Roshar, but I just don't think it's realistic to assume any producer with enough money to actually make that series would take that much of a financial risk.