Invested to the Hilt

Sara Stormblessed

Teft never forgets that old itch. Kaladin keeps coming back to his spear. And Sara? Well, you were not shocked when a child knew how to breathe. You were not shocked when a skyeel took flight for the first time. You should not be shocked when you hand Sara Stormblessed a fantasy forum and she knows how to use it. 

Three years ago, I vowed that I would definitely and absolutely start living in the real world, any day now. To my credit, it has been five years since my last fandom convention and over a decade since I haunted that old Department of Mysteries forum, the one that consumed--no, forged my adolescent years. I thought maybe I could do the Cosmere with moderation, that perhaps I was ready to imagine with self-control, but now... Well, I have been alone in my apartment for 10 months, none of my IRL Sanderson reading friends know how to fandom, and I am invested to the hilt.

My name is Sara, the only surname that doesn't give me an identity crisis is Stormblessed, and I hope somebody is ready to fish me out before I have a child just to name him Kaladin, legally change my name to Stormblessed, or get slave brands tattooed on my actual forehead. 

It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, 17th Shard.

Edited by Sara Stormblessed

Welcome to the Shard! That’s great that you love Kaladin so much! He’s also one of my all time favorites, Like Hoid and Rock. That was quite a hook you did there at the start. It worked. :P 

What’s your favorite cosmere book?

Whats your favorite cosmere character(besides Kaladin)?

Welcome to the Shard!

Also, that was some fine prose. I appreciate it.

I would offer you cookies, but the interwebs are full of them and the Dark Alley would most certainly spike them in transit.

So, instead I offer some advice: You should definitely change your name to Stormblessed, as hereditary surnames are lame by comparison to earned ones, but probably skip the brands :-)

On 12/29/2020 at 5:27 AM, Bearer of all agonies said:

Welcome to the Shard! That’s great that you love Kaladin so much! He’s also one of my all time favorites, Like Hoid and Rock. That was quite a hook you did there at the start. It worked. :P 

What’s your favorite cosmere book?

Whats your favorite cosmere character(besides Kaladin)?

@Bearer of all agonies

I am usually not great at picking favorite things, but I supposed it is a toss-up between The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. I ADORE all the cross over character scenes in WoR, but Kaladin's story in the Way of Kings resonates with me so deeply that it is hard for any of the other books to top. Plus, origin stories are so delicious! Which cosmere book is your favorite?

Regarding other characters, I guess if I had to choose, I would pick the ones who make me laugh the most: Wit and Wayne. After that, perhaps Szeth. I love reading his fancy long names and watching him grapple with his past and his power. Sanderson writes SO MANY compelling characters, so it is difficult to pick favorites. Who are yours?

On 12/29/2020 at 9:10 AM, midnight13 said:

Welcome!

That last bit isn't a bad idea at all! Though your name will be quite a mouthful that way. :)

@midnight13 My current legal last name is four syllables long, so this might actually be an improvement in the mouthful category. However, I actually love it when names are a mouthful! Maybe I should try to piece together something more epic, like Yaezir, Jezerezeh'Elin or Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Szeth-son-Neturo, Truthless of Shinovar. At the very least, I need to collect more nicknames and titles until I make "Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains" look tame. :P

On 12/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, AonEne said:

The Shard grabs people and never lets go, can confirm.

@Aon Ene Excellent! Looking forward to a lifetime of being bonded to ya'll! Just please don't kill me; I quite like having eyes! x_x :(

On 12/29/2020 at 1:34 PM, VanillaDCocoKing said:

Welcome to the Shard!

Also, that was some fine prose. I appreciate it.

I would offer you cookies, but the interwebs are full of them and the Dark Alley would most certainly spike them in transit.

So, instead I offer some advice: You should definitely change your name to Stormblessed, as hereditary surnames are lame by comparison to earned ones, but probably skip the brands :-)

@VanillaDCocoKing Mmkay, I'll mark you down as a "Yes" for the name change and a "No" for the Hemalurgy-in-a-Dark-Alley party I was planning. There will be plenty of spikes and cookies, in case that sways your vote. ;)

Additionally, I appreciate the prose compliment. <3 :)

28 minutes ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

@Aon Ene Excellent! Looking forward to a lifetime of being bonded to ya'll! Just please don't kill me; I quite like having eyes! x_x :(

I promise not to kill you! :D However, it's my modly duty to inform you that we prefer people not to double post (posting more than once in a row) on the forums, to make things less cluttered and stuff, yeah? There's this little plus button next to the quote feature that you can use to quote multiple people at once. Don't worry about it, you're new, just for the future ^_^

21 minutes ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

Hemalurgy-in-a-Dark-Alley party I was planning. There will be plenty of spikes and cookies, in case that sways your vote. ;)

Oh no, they've got another one :lol:

2 hours ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

@Bearer of all agonies

I am usually not great at picking favorite things, but I supposed it is a toss-up between The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. I ADORE all the cross over character scenes in WoR, but Kaladin's story in the Way of Kings resonates with me so deeply that it is hard for any of the other books to top. Plus, origin stories are so delicious! Which cosmere book is your favorite?

Regarding other characters, I guess if I had to choose, I would pick the ones who make me laugh the most: Wit and Wayne. After that, perhaps Szeth. I love reading his fancy long names and watching him grapple with his past and his power. Sanderson writes SO MANY compelling characters, so it is difficult to pick favorites. Who are yours?

Great! (It’s all good just try not to double post). 
Oooooooh. Besides the ones I’ve said, Wayne makes it up there and so does Lift. They’re hilarious. And I just love reading about them. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Sara Stormblessed said:

My current legal last name is four syllables long, so this might actually be an improvement in the mouthful category. However, I actually love it when names are a mouthful! Maybe I should try to piece together something more epic, like Yaezir, Jezerezeh'Elin or Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Szeth-son-Neturo, Truthless of Shinovar. At the very least, I need to collect more nicknames and titles until I make "Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains" look tame. :P

I’m excited to see that happen. :) In this case, I’m glad I will likely not ever have to say your name out loud. I’m horrible at pronouncing things, especially names.

21 minutes ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

Wondeful!

Pretty sure you meant ‘wonderful.’ :P Says the person who had to type ‘pronouncing’ three times before the dotted red line stopped showing up.

23 minutes ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

Has it really only been one... two days since I joined this place? I must be running on shattered planes time because it feels like ages. 

Oooooo. Same. I just discovered the Shard a few days ago myself, and it feels like I’ve been here forever. It’s amazing!

2 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

@Sara Stormblessed this might seem like a weird question but, is your name pronounced Saara or Saira(Sarah)?

I know I’m a few days late, but welcome to the Shard

This is actually a very important question. For as long as I can remember, I have desperately wanted to be a person who has nicknames. Unfortunately, the closest my friends ever got to giving me a "Sara" based nickname was by calling me SARS for a few years in high school. I tell you this in preface to the following: I have always introduced myself as S-air-a, but I LOVE it when people pronounce is S-are-a or literally any other way that makes me feel exotic, finally. 

@Lecky Twig , @Aon Tia , @Honorless , @Lunu’anaki Thank you for your welcoming words! :wub:

2 hours ago, midnight13 said:

Oooooo. Same. I just discovered the Shard a few days ago myself, and it feels like I’ve been here forever. It’s amazing!

Aha! Glad to have joined up at the same time! Maybe we'll be in the same spearman squad! ^_^

2 hours ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

This is actually a very important question. For as long as I can remember, I have desperately wanted to be a person who has nicknames. Unfortunately, the closest my friends ever got to giving me a "Sara" based nickname was by calling me SARS for a few years in high school. I tell you this in preface to the following: I have always introduced myself as S-air-a, but I LOVE it when people pronounce is S-are-a or literally any other way that makes me feel exotic, finally. 

Hehe, I asked because I happen to have a long time dispute with a friend on the correct pronunciation of S-a-r-a (dw, it's not a serious dispute). Personally I'm a S-are-a supporter, but I don't even remember how the 'dispute' started or why I'm arguing S-are-a over S-air-a, maybe because it's eXocTic. :P

On 12/31/2020 at 3:14 AM, Lecky Twig said:

Hehe, I asked because I happen to have a long time dispute with a friend on the correct pronunciation of S-a-r-a (dw, it's not a serious dispute). Personally I'm a S-are-a supporter, but I don't even remember how the 'dispute' started or why I'm arguing S-are-a over S-air-a, maybe because it's eXocTic. :P

Are these the only two options?  I have no problem with S-are-a or s-air-a... but why not s-ar-a where the middle sound is the "arr" of "arrow" or "carrot"?

Also, welcome - I'm also new here (but not to the cosmere).

On 04/01/2021 at 8:45 AM, AquaRegia said:

Are these the only two options?  I have no problem with S-are-a or s-air-a... but why not s-ar-a where the middle sound is the "arr" of "arrow" or "carrot"?

The options I mentioned are the examples that I've met in real life. S-arr-a is totally an option, and I'd be stoked to hear if one existed somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Lecky Twig said:

The options I mentioned are the examples that I've met in real life. S-arr-a is totally an option, and I'd be stoked to hear if one existed somewhere. 

I guess it's predominantly a regional dialect issue.  Where I live (central PA) EVERY Sara(h) I've ever met is a S-arr-a... and I've never heard anyone say "s-air-a".  To me, that would sound like a short "e": Serra, rhymes with Terra.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, AquaRegia said:

...how...do you pronounce arrow and carrot? I say them Air-oh and K-air-ought. So I say the ar is Sara the same as I say it in arrow and carrot. Do you mean that you emphasize the r more strongly? Also, thank you for the welcoming words! Welcome to you as well!

On 1/7/2021 at 2:06 AM, Lecky Twig said:

On 1/7/2021 at 6:49 AM, AquaRegia said:

I guess it's predominantly a regional dialect issue.  Where I live (central PA) EVERY Sara(h) I've ever met is a S-arr-a... and I've never heard anyone say "s-air-a".  To me, that would sound like a short "e": Serra, rhymes with Terra.

I definitely usually say it like I would say Terra, which I pronounce the same as Tara like Taravangian in the Audiobook. However, I have also heard Ss-are-ah and Soar-ah and a few other ways. I am totally interested in this Sarrrrrrrrra option. It is a pirate sound? Can we roll the r?  :lol:

On 12/31/2020 at 9:48 AM, Not an Ookla said:

(Late) Welcome to the Shard! Great intro!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Sara Stormblessed said:

I definitely usually say it like I would say Terra, which I pronounce the same as Tara like Taravangian in the Audiobook. However, I have also heard Ss-are-ah and Soar-ah and a few other ways. I am totally interested in this Sarrrrrrrrra option. It is a pirate sound? Can we roll the r?  :lol:

HAHAHAHA You can do anything you want and I totally think you should start rolling your "r"s!!

I love regional dialect discussions, so I'll keep going forever.  Feel free to say "OK I'm done" at any time and I won't be insulted.  I found this:

I was initially afraid MY dialect wouldn't be represented, as they start with people from Florida and North Carolina... but once you get to the California and Massachusetts examples, that's what I'd say.  Also the distinction between the auto English and auto Aussie ones is subtle, but good.  But apparently people like ME are in the minority on this.

To me, that short "a" sound, as in "bat" is quite distinct from a short "e", "bet".  The word "air" sounds the same as the word "err" - a short "e" sound.  For you, I guess Sara rhymes with Terra.  But for me, "carrot" does NOT rhyme with "kerrit", and maybe that "arr" sound I use is simply not in your dialect at all, which happens a lot - I can't roll my "r"s - that sound isn't used in my language so I never learned how to do it. 

I just realized: NAMES are the best place to find this sound.  For me, Harry ≠ hairy.  Barry ≠ berry.  Larry ≠ fair-y.  But again, I'm in the minority.  /rant