So on Roshar we have the ten surges. The Heralds were given special magic swords, later known as the Honorblades, which granted them access to these mystical powers. As a matter of fact, anyone who bonds one of these blades is granted access to its surges. We also know that spren saw this, and decided they could mimic it. If a spren bonds with a human, through a process known as the Nahel bond, they can grant said human access to the surges as well, and even manifest physically as a replica of one of these swords.

Jump cut to Scadrial, where we have a different kind of bond. But is it really so different after all? Sure, the powers are a little different, and you get them not by acting a certain way, but just by having the right amount of investiture in your bloodline. Remember though - something of the Nahel bond is hereditary too. No, not the powers, unfortunately, but there is a physiological difference between the offspring of a surgebinder and the offspring of anyone else. Their eyes.

Okay, so what exactly is @Narcoleptic Axolotl proposing here, (you might ask yourself)? Well, I'm glad you asked. . . . yourself. . . . Whatever. I think it's reasonable that Harmony could create weapons that would bestow upon the holder all the powers of a mistborn and full feruchemist. Not totally unlike what the Bands did. You would still need your own metals and metalminds, just like Szeth still needed his own stormlight. And, just like the honorblades, these 'harmonyblades' wouldn't allow for quite the level of efficiency that an invested person can operate with. That meaning, you would have to flare your metals higher to get the same strength a mistborn has. And, while it's not clear what a lack of efficiency in feruchemy would mean, you'd have that too.

Now, let's consider the last of the metallic arts. Hemalurgy. I don't think it makes any sense to think the harmonyblade would grant hemalurgic power, unless holding it made you perfectly aware of all the hemalurgic bind points. As useful as that might be, that's not the most interesting aspect of the harmonyblade with hemalurgy. We can assume that the honorblades, like shardblades, are made of Honor's godmetal, Tanavastium. (This WoB is a little confusing, but I've highlighted the part that matters.)

Spoiler

StarburstWrapperTie

What kind of spren is Oathbringer, the Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

Oathbringer is not technically a spren. Why I call these things the Honorblades, kind of where the whole Shardblade concept fits in, is that these are literally pieces of Honor's soul that he Splintered off and formed weapons out of for the Heralds. These didn't actually have sentience, in the same way that the spren forming most of the Shardblades are. They're literally a piece of the god who ruled this world turned into weapons. And the spren, who are also pieces of the same divinity, saw what was happening, and this kind of became a model by which Shardblades came about.

So Oathbringer doesn't have a spren. If you wanted to call it something, call it a sliver of Honor that has been manifested in physical form. That does mean the blade would actually be made of Tanavast's god metal, so tanavastium, if you want to call it that.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's just me hearing what I wanted to hear, not what was actually asked. It happens more often than I'd like; I get into this groove of answering questions, and start answering what I'm thinking about rather than what actually gets asked. A lot of times, I'm expecting a question (often because it's one that gets asked a lot, like what are Shardblades made out of) and my brain defaults to the answer I've prepared. I think it might be because I've trained myself to answer questions while doing other things.

Oathbringer's not an Honorblade. It was a Stoneward's blade a long time ago, with the corresponding spren.

San Diego Comic-Con@Home 2020 (July 23, 2020)

So presumably these harmonyblades (maybe harmony-spears, given the spear's significance in Scadrian history) would be made of Harmony's godmetal, Harmonium aka Ettmetal. So, hypothetical scenario, someone's using a harmonyspear and stabs a metalborn. What happens? What attribute is stolen? Surely not nothing. We know godmetals can steal attributes: (again, you need only read the highlighted part.)

Spoiler

Chaos2651

Hemalurgically, atium steals Allomantic Temporal Powers. But, that seems unlikely, since atium is a god metal. It wouldn't fit in with the rest of the magic system. Did Preservation, in addition to switching Cadmium and Bendalloy for Atium and Malatium, also switch atium's Feruchemical and Hemalurgic powers with Cadmium? Because it seems to me there's not a lot of atium Marsh can use to live for hundreds of years into the next Mistborn trilogy.

Brandon Sanderson

Preservation wanted Atium and Malatium to be of use to the people, as he recognized that it would be a very powerful tool—and that using it up could help defeat Ruin. But he also recognized that sixteen was a mythological important number, and felt it would make the best sign for his followers. So he took out the most unlikely (difficult to make and use) metals for his sign to his followers. But that doesn't have much to do with Hemalurgy's use here.

Remember that the tables—and the ars Arcanum—are 'in world' creations. (Or, at least, in-universe.) The knowledge represented in them is as people understand it, and can always have flaws. That was the case with having atium on the table in the first place, and that was the case with people (specifically the Inquisitors) trying to figure out what atium did Hemalurgically.

Their experiments (very expensive ones) are what determined that atium (which they thought was just one of the sixteen metals) granted the Allomantic Temporal powers. What they didn't realize is that atium (used correctly) could steal ANY of the powers. Think of it as a wild card. With the right knowledge, you could use it to mimic any other spike. It works far better than other spikes as well.

As for Marsh, he's got a whole bag of atium (taken off of the Kandra who was going to try to sell it.) So he's all right for quite a while. A small bead used right can reverse age someone back to their childhood.

But this was a little beyond their magical understanding at the time.

Barnes and Noble Book Club Q&A (July 8, 2009)

Well, that's where I come up short. According to the coppermind, Harmonium is extremely reactive with water, and of course blood is like 98% water. (Disclaimer: don't know for sure about that and don't care.) So a spike made of harmonium would be pretty impractical. Maybe stabbing someone with your harmonyspear is a bad idea, because as soon as it pierces the skin, your spearhead starts exploding. Imagine that.

Maybe go with a warhammer then? Maybe don't use it as a weapon. After all, its most useful aspect is granting you all allomantic and feruchemical powers. With those, you almost don't need a sword. Just go with obsidian daggers or something, that's stylish in its own way.

Okay, that's all I got. Interesting stuff, right?

10 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Someone takes a harmony spear and stabs someone and we will have a non-hypothetical explosion. Ka-BOOM! Ett Metal explodes on contact with water, after all.

Except if Harmony were to make these spears, and make them functional, he would likely edit the ettmetal the spear is made out of, so that it doesn't explode.

1 minute ago, The Titan God said:

Except if Harmony were to make these spears, and make them functional, he would likely edit the ettmetal the spear is made out of, so that it doesn't explode.

Ettmetal explodes due the opposing nature of Ruin and Preservation. It is the physical manifestation of that Investiture, just as the mists are the gaseous form and the perpendicularity is the liquid form. For Ettmetal not to explode would require the fundamental nature of Harmony to change.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Ettmetal explodes due the opposing nature of Ruin and Preservation. It is the physical manifestation of that Investiture, just as the mists are the gaseous form and the perpendicularity is the liquid form. For Ettmetal not to explode would require the fundamental nature of Harmony to change.

I believe that if Sazed began to view Harmony as a shard completely distinct from Ruin and Preservation, then the opposing nature of the shard wouldn't make sense anymore, and he would be free to edit the nature of ettmetal.

Also, perpendicularity? Scadrial era 2 has no stable perpendicularities. I assume you mean the Well of Ascension, but that is very unstable (I mean it has a non-splintered shard trapped in it) it would be suicide to use it to worldhop to Scadrial, as it would be suicide to go to Sel's cognitive realm. The Pits of Hathsin were stable, but Kelsier destroyed those (to the dismay of Hoid), the Pits are about due to regrow in era 2, but (as far as I know) they haven't yet.

I believe that if Sazed began to view Harmony as a shard completely distinct from Ruin and Preservation, then the opposing nature of the shard wouldn't make sense anymore, and he would be free to edit the nature of ettmetal.

Also, perpendicularity? Scadrial era 2 has no stable perpendicularities. I assume you mean the Well of Ascension, but that is very unstable (I mean it has a non-splintered shard trapped in it) it would be suicide to use it to worldhop to Scadrial, as it would be suicide to go to Sel's cognitive realm. The Pits of Hathsin were stable, but Kelsier destroyed those (to the dismay of Hoid), the Pits are about due to regrow in era 2, but (as far as I know) they haven't yet.

Scadrial is very easy to visit post-Catascande per a WoB. Sazed has a perpendicularity, as do other Shards (there’s a mention in a broadsheet). However, what I said was a general rule.

If it was suicide to go to Sel’s Cognitive we wouldn’t have Elantrians on Roshar or the Ire wandering the Cosmere. Have you read RoW and BoM? If you have, I’ll PM my opinion on Scadrial.

How Sazed views Harmony has little to do with the fact that it is still composed of two opposing forces. He does view it as Harmony; that is why it is Harmony, not Discord. Either way, the longer he holds the Shard the harder it will be for him to change. And unless something changes, Ettmetal will continue to be unstable.

If your hypothetical requires the very nature of a Shard to change in order to work, then it is a very unlikely situation. If Harmony becomes a triple Shard, well, that’s another story.

But I think Scadrial is more likely to try and develop ‘robot Spren’, like Nightblood.

5 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Scadrial is very easy to visit post-Catascande per a WoB. Sazed has a perpendicularity, as do other Shards (there’s a mention in a broadsheet). However, what I said was a general rule.

If it was suicide to go to Sel’s Cognitive we wouldn’t have Elantrians on Roshar or the Ire wandering the Cosmere. Have you read RoW and BoM? If you have, I’ll PM my opinion on Scadrial.

How Sazed views Harmony has little to do with the fact that it is still composed of two opposing forces. He does view it as Harmony; that is why it is Harmony, not Discord. Either way, the longer he holds the Shard the harder it will be for him to change. And unless something changes, Ettmetal will continue to be unstable.

If your hypothetical requires the very nature of a Shard to change in order to work, then it is a very unlikely situation. If Harmony becomes a triple Shard, well, that’s another story.

But I think Scadrial is more likely to try and develop ‘robot Spren’, like Nightblood.

I'm going to back out of this conversation because it seems you know more than I do; however, I will say that there are plenty of splintered shards without vessels for Harmony to absorb (Devotion, Dominion, Ambition and Honor (I know the lore leading up to Stormlight Archive but I only started reading the books at Christmas, so I don't know if someone takes up Honor, but my point still stands)).

I'm going to back out of this conversation because it seems you know more than I do; however, I will say that there are plenty of splintered shards without vessels for Harmony to absorb (Devotion, Dominion, Ambition and Honor (I know the lore leading up to Stormlight Archive but I only started reading the books at Christmas, so I don't know if someone takes up Honor, but my point still stands)).

Yes, but until he does Ettmetal will be explosive. It does much cooler things though, so why make a sword out of it? Seems a waste. If Saze wanted Mistborn he could just create Lerasium, like he can Atium.

And Kelsier seems to be able to create tech that gives anyone both powersets.

Personally, my theory is that Kell is trying to steal Autonomy for Sazed. Because Saze lacks Autonomy and Kelsier WOULD steal a Shard. Or try to, anyway.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Personally, my theory is that Kell is trying to steal Autonomy for Sazed. Because Saze lacks Autonomy and Kelsier WOULD steal a Shard. Or try to, anyway.

I wonder if that would have anything to do with Trell, like is Kelsier the reason for Trell's existence? I mean Autonomy seems the most likely shard for Kelsier to be attempting to get, but why? Why steal a shard with a vessel, when there is already shards without them? Is it harder to call vesselless shards than ones with a vessel (because for a vesselless shard it would really have to fit the intent in order to call it, but for a vessel shard you could just call the vessel, trick them maybe)?

I wonder if that would have anything to do with Trell, like is Kelsier the reason for Trell's existence? I mean Autonomy seems the most likely shard for Kelsier to be attempting to get, but why? Why steal a shard with a vessel, when there is already shards without them? Is it harder to call vesselless shards than ones with a vessel (because for a vesselless shard it would really have to fit the intent in order to call it, but for a vessel shard you could just call the vessel, trick them maybe)?

Harmony lacks autonomy. Not Devotion, or Dominion, or Honor, etc. Autonomy is the ability to act, which is the one thing Saze cannot do.

And stealing a Shard with a Vessel is a much better trick. And Autonomy has been involved with Scadrial since, possibly, before Rashek’s Ascension. So Kell may be taking advantage of the fact that another Shard is already involved on his home.

Well, it's true that Honorblades are made of Tanavastium, but that doesn't mean that to do something similar, Harmony would need Ettemetal. We already know that Nicrosilminds can be used to do something similar, after all, and we know that Harmony can fuel Allomancers and Feruchemists with Mists. So creating another version (or even an improved version) of the Bands would be quite simple.

Well, there is a WoB out there saying that is he wanted to, Harmony could create lerasium and atium seperate from one another. What he could do is make individual blades. A lerasium blade that grants Mistborn powers, and an atium blade that grants Feruchemical powers (I am aware that Ruin controlled Hemalurgy and not Feruchemy, but Atium needs to control something. If Feruchemy had its own metal, it would bring us back to the Ettmetal dilemma).

Not an Ettmetal weapon, but an alloy of Lerasium and Atium? (Leratium?)

I think Ettmetal explodes because each particle has the Intent of both Ruin and Preservation. Leratium would be a mix of particles with Ruin's intent and particles with preservation's intent, not both. Hence, no exploding.

And I mean, Spren Shardblades are alloys of Honor and Cultivation's Godmetals, if I'm not mistaken.

10 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I think Ettmetal explodes because each particle has the Intent of both Ruin and Preservation. Leratium would be a mix of particles with Ruin's intent and particles with preservation's intent, not both. Hence, no exploding.

And I mean, Spren Shardblades are alloys of Honor and Cultivation's Godmetals, if I'm not mistaken.

This reminds of a theory I think I saw somewhere that I like. The theory goes that there are 3 allomantic alloys of atium+lerasium. If Lerasium > Atium then it would result in the burner becoming an atium misting. If Lerasium < Atium it would have some OP temporal/mental power. If Lerasium = Atium then it might have the effects of ettmetal (perhaps with some differences, perhaps completely different) without the explosiveness. All that being said, there is no evidence to back this up and is just a fun thought experiment, because a lerasium + atium alloy (talking if there was only 1 alloy) which makes atium mistings is kind of boring.

On 12/29/2020 at 0:28 PM, Chinkoln said:

Well, there is a WoB out there saying that is he wanted to, Harmony could create lerasium and atium separate from one another. What he could do is make individual blades. A lerasium blade that grants Mistborn powers, and an atium blade that grants Feruchemical powers (I am aware that Ruin controlled Hemalurgy and not Feruchemy, but Atium needs to control something. If Feruchemy had its own metal, it would bring us back to the Ettmetal dilemma).

This is a pretty cool idea. I agree that Atium probably wouldn't grant Feruchemy. Maybe conjoin this theory with @The Titan God's, and say if more atium is present in the alloy, then it'll be a feruchemical harmonyspear, and if there's more lerasium then it's an allomantic one. 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, Raphaborn said:

Well, it's true that Honorblades are made of Tanavastium, but that doesn't mean that to do something similar, Harmony would need Ettmetal. We already know that Nicrosilminds can be used to do something similar, after all, and we know that Harmony can fuel Allomancers and Feruchemists with Mists. So creating another version (or even an improved version) of the Bands would be quite simple.

You're right, the Bands do pretty much exactly what I'm proposing, and recreating those might be within Harmony's abilities. However, I'm saying he could maybe create something akin to the Honorblades, and presumably made out of Harmony's godmetal. Although, as Haylo_Alex points out,

On 12/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

it might be more reasonable to make the harmonyspears out of an alloy of lerasium and atium. Also, that would probably not be so explosive. I think you have a really good point about fueling the power with the mists; I read on the Coppermind that the Heralds were "powered directly by Honor" which is about the equivalent of drawing upon the mists.

As a sidenote: I wonder if these theoretical 'harmonyspears' could be summoned or dismissed like the honorblades. Now, shardblades can be summoned and dismissed because they're spren, which reside mostly in the cognitive realm but can manifest in the physical realm through a bond with something that already lives there, usually a human. But we're not talking about regular shardblades. These are "pieces of [a Shard's] soul" (source) that grant the user direct access to the Shard's essence. To be honest, I'm not sure how different that is from a spren, but I doubt the Honorblades themselves were ever conscious to any degree. I guess I don't see why they couldn't be able to be summoned or dismissed. But I don't really have much evidence that they would be.

35 minutes ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Haylo_Alex

Sigh.... Why does EVERYBODY misspell that.

36 minutes ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

As a sidenote: I wonder if these theoretical 'harmonyspears' could be summoned or dismissed like the honorblades. Now, shardblades can be summoned and dismissed because they're spren, which reside mostly in the cognitive realm but can manifest in the physical realm through a bond with something that already lives there, usually a human. But we're not talking about regular shardblades. These are "pieces of [a Shard's] soul" (source) that grant the user direct access to the Shard's essence. To be honest, I'm not sure how different that is from a spren, but I doubt the Honorblades themselves were ever conscious to any degree. I guess I don't see why they couldn't be able to be summoned or dismissed. But I don't really have much evidence that they would be.

I mean, the Honorblades can be summoned and dismissed even though they're basically pure Tanavastium. I wonder if Honor had to do something specific to them? Although, yeah, he must have; they all grant different Surge-pairs. So they're not just raw/shaped Tanavastium, they have something extra that Connects them to the Surges that can then be exploited by whoever's bonded to the Blade to then Surgebind.

2 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Sigh.... Why does EVERYBODY misspell that.

Oops.

3 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I mean, the Honorblades can be summoned and dismissed even though they're basically pure Tanavastium. I wonder if Honor had to do something specific to them? Although, yeah, he must have; they all grant different Surge-pairs. So they're not just raw/shaped Tanavastium, they have something extra that Connects them to the Surges that can then be exploited by whoever's bonded to the Blade to then Surgebind.

Right. This also makes me consider, would the Harmonyspears grant all the powers, or just a few? I think it's safe to say that the surges are very similar to the mistborn/feruchemist powers, at least in that they can be sensed with A-bronze. So the fact that each Honorblade only grants 2 surges is probably significant. I mean, at the end of Oathbringer, we see Amaram using what appears to be all 9 voidbinding powers, although that's a little different in that he 'bonded' Yelig-nar, a living spren, rather than a blade of some kind. But still, that means someone could use more than 2 surges at once, so why limit the Heralds like that? Why not give all the Heralds all the powers? (Possibly just because the magic would be less interesting that way.) Maybe it was possible, but something about the nature of the Oathpact made it make more sense to have 10 heralds with 2 surges each.

21 minutes ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Oops.

Honestly I should just accept that people are gonna do it and stop complaining.

21 minutes ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Right. This also makes me consider, would the Harmonyspears grant all the powers, or just a few? I think it's safe to say that the surges are very similar to the mistborn/feruchemist powers, at least in that they can be sensed with A-bronze. So the fact that each Honorblade only grants 2 surges is probably significant. I mean, at the end of Oathbringer, we see Amaram using what appears to be all 9 voidbinding powers, although that's a little different in that he 'bonded' Yelig-nar, a living spren, rather than a blade of some kind. But still, that means someone could use more than 2 surges at once, so why limit the Heralds like that? Why not give all the Heralds all the powers? (Possibly just because the magic would be less interesting that way.) Maybe it was possible, but something about the nature of the Oathpact made it make more sense to have 10 heralds with 2 surges each.

I believe Brandon has said that the surgepairs as we see them are "natural" pairs, that Adhesion and Gravitation (for example) are already paired up in the framework of Roshar's system, the attributes that lead to an Invested Art in the first place when a Shard settles in and Invests the planet. So Honor just cut along the lines that were laid out for him, and went with that for the Honorblades.

So I think each Harmonyblade/spear would give a person a metal and its alloy as powers.

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Maybe.

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I believe Brandon has said that the surgepairs as we see them are "natural" pairs, that Adhesion and Gravitation (for example) are already paired up in the framework of Roshar's system, the attributes that lead to an Invested Art in the first place when a Shard settles in and Invests the planet. So Honor just cut along the lines that were laid out for him, and went with that for the Honorblades.

So I think each Harmonyblade/spear would give a person a metal and its alloy as powers.

Hmmm. So would that mean someone would, for example, become a compounder of both iron and steel? Or maybe just get the allomantic, or just the feruchemical powers of those metals. Let's assume the latter. That means, assuming there's only one Harmonyspear for each unique powerset, there would be eight allomancy spears and eight feruchemy spears. Sixteen. Very nice.

1 hour ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Maybe.

Hmmm. So would that mean someone would, for example, become a compounder of both iron and steel? Or maybe just get the allomantic, or just the feruchemical powers of those metals. Let's assume the latter. That means, assuming there's only one Harmonyspear for each unique powerset, there would be eight allomancy spears and eight feruchemy spears. Sixteen. Very nice.

The latter sounds more likely.

8 spears with an alloy balanced towards Lerasium, 8 spears with an alloy balanced towards Atium.

I guess getting ahold of the Allomantic and feruchemic spears of the same metals would be kinda like dual-wielding Honorblades that share a surge.

But WAY BETTER because you could compound.

...Unless bonding a Harmonyspear just gives you access to the Investiture needed to fuel it, or, maybe Harmony would have to make a Herald that's Connected like that and can consume the Mists themselves.

3 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

...Unless bonding a Harmonyspear just gives you access to the Investiture needed to fuel it, or, maybe Harmony would have to make a Herald that's Connected like that and can consume the Mists themselves.

I don't think that would be necessary. Yes, the Heralds were directly powered by Honor, while the radiants have to save stormlight in gemstones, but we see mistborn drawing upon the mists, which we know is just gaseous manifestation of Preservation's power. The mistborn, which are equivalent to radiants, don't have a special connection to Preservation. Unless you count the fact that all of Scadrial is heavily Invested, since everything there, including (I believe) the planet itself was created by Ruin and Preservation. But in that case, everybody's invested, so you don't need to set aside a Herald because all people would already have the Connection they needed. That sounds kinda reasonable, but I'll assume that you only have to be metalborn to draw upon the mists.

I guess we shouldn't forget about the fact that you can't draw upon the mists if the mists aren't around. They rose every night in the time of the Final Empire, but after the Catacendre, they came randomly. So if Harmonyspears only grant ability to use metalborn powers, and you have to get the rest from the mists, then you should probably carry around extra metalminds or vials just in case.

6 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I don't think that would be necessary. Yes, the Heralds were directly powered by Honor, while the radiants have to save stormlight in gemstones, but we see mistborn drawing upon the mists, which we know is just gaseous manifestation of Preservation's power. The mistborn, which are equivalent to radiants, don't have a special connection to Preservation. Unless you count the fact that all of Scadrial is heavily Invested, since everything there, including (I believe) the planet itself was created by Ruin and Preservation. But in that case, everybody's invested, so you don't need to set aside a Herald because all people would already have the Connection they needed. That sounds kinda reasonable, but I'll assume that you only have to be metalborn to draw upon the mists.

I'm pretty sure Vin was a special case in being able to consume the Mists, since doing it enough causes you to Ascend to Preservation (if the Vessel allows it).

And I mean, nobody else has ever done it before or since (except MAYBE Wax? Possibly? In small amounts).

6 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I guess we shouldn't forget about the fact that you can't draw upon the mists if the mists aren't around. They rose every night in the time of the Final Empire, but after the Catacendre, they came randomly. So if Harmonyspears only grant ability to use metalborn powers, and you have to get the rest from the mists, then you should probably carry around extra metalminds or vials just in case.

Yeah. But with the Feruchemical Harmonyspears, you might be able to fill your metalminds super quick if you're in the Mists at the time.