Nightblood shortcut with soul stamps

So, I was doing research for another theory and I ran across this WoB:

DTF_20170515

Why refrigerate food when you can just stamp spoiled food so that it was stored properly before?

Aurora_Fatalis

You'll have to ask Brandon how that'd interact with gastric acid breaking down the stamp. Or how porous/loose material interacts with stamps in the first place.

Come to think of it... There's a WoB saying the Nightwatcher could change your species, but have a hard time making a spren bond to you. So... could the Nightwatcher turn you Scadrian and make you eligible for Allomantic powers? Or does the Nightwatcher's boons operate on soulstamp principles?

Hell, let's say you bought a vial of the wrong metal on your field trip to Sel. Could you pay a Forger to stamp the vial into being a vial of the right metal (it's believable that you would check before such an important trip) and then drink the metal contained in the vial to fuel your Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

All right, all right. Let's see... /u/Aurora_Fatalis, changing metals around with other forms of Investiture is generally going to work, according to how I view the magic right now. The power is there, you just need to align the matter the right way. So forging new metals: not too difficult. This is because Allomancy isn't actually using Investiture in the metals, but using it as a key to get power from somewhere else.

Forging a sword to be a Shardblade, however, would be very, very difficult for multiple reasons. The most obvious one is that the Investiture required would be enormous. A Shardblade is a highly-Invested object, with its own self-aware soul.

If you could overcome the initial resistance invested objects have to being influenced by other magics (something that Forgery is particularly good at doing anyway) you'd theoretically be able to change Shardblade/spren's personality like you could a person's.

Fooling the magic via Connection and Identity is not so hard, under the right circumstances, so making a Forger into an Elantrian (or an Allomancer) for a short time is plausible. Making yourself into a Radiant, however, would be more difficult--because the limitations placed on that magic have to do with persuading a sapient being you are worth the bond.

Aurora_Fatalis

How about regular food? If I stamp a pineapple pizza into a pepperoni pizza and eat it, what nutrients do I end up with?

Brandon Sanderson

The way I have it working now, I believe (though I'd have to do some double-checking, as it's been a while since I've been working on Sel) soulstamps are more fragile than things like Aons, and it would be very hard to eat something with one without breaking it. But assuming you could, you'd get nutrients from what it had become--but those would change back once the stamp broke or ran out.

It is possible to go so far down this rabbit hole, however, that the chemistry of Forging (like the physics of Allomancy) it just can't make sense any more. So be aware.

Oversleep

With things like Stamping metals for Allomancy, you have said that it'd be possible for short time, but then burning it would break the Seal and metal would revert back.

I guess it would be similar with food, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's the big problem with Forging. Getting the stamp to stay in place once you start to change the object that has been stamped.

General Reddit 2018 (Aug. 27, 2018)

It got me thinking. Maybe you couldn't change a regular sword into a shardblade, because regular swords don't become shardblades. Shardblades are spren or tanavastium or something, and at no point in their past were they regular swords. But we do know an invested sword who was once a regular sword, namely Nightblood. Let's pretend the sword they invested when they made Nightblood was just sitting in a rack with a whole bunch of other swords, and they just grabbed one and shoved ten thousand breaths in it. Then, let's say someone collected the rest of the swords from that rack, maybe the rest of the swords in that room, and took them to a forger. Asked the forger to stamp each one of the extra swords so it became the awakened sword. Then handed out their new awakened swords to their personal guard, or an elite branch of their military.

I'm guessing such investiture-hacking is impossible for some reason, but it seems like such a cool way to get magic swords. And sure, maybe the stamp wouldn't stick for very long, but how long do you need to kill somebody? That sounds dark. Um, anyway, you could just stamp your sword before every fight, and destroy all the evil.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:48 PM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I'm guessing such investiture-hacking is impossible for some reason, but it seems like such a cool way to get magic swords. And sure, maybe the stamp wouldn't stick for very long, but how long do you need to kill somebody? That sounds dark. Um, anyway, you could just stamp your sword before every fight, and destroy all the evil.

Fascinating idea, is it possible that the forged nightblood would consume it's own stamp in the process though? I assume these stamps operate by pulling investiture from the cognitive realm so I'm guessing that the sword would pull on the stamps connection there immediately at the very least.

Edited by Lunu’anaki

When Shai forged a room so it was the big one instead of the small one, the big one shrank. I'm pretty sure if you tried to stamp a sword so it become the one that became Nightblood it would transform Nightblood in a regular sword, which he would resist

4 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Fascinating idea, is it possible that the forged nightblood would consume it's own stamp in the process though? I assume these stamps operate by pulling investiture from the cognitive realm so I'm guessing that the sword would pull on the stamps connection there immediately at the very least.

Also that

You don't have to put all Arcanum Unbounded content in the short stories forum. Emperor's Soul content is allowed in the Elantris forum (and Mistborn: Secret History content is also allowed in the Mistborn forum). I think the reason why there are Topics from those novellas here is because those topics are old. They are from back when Arcanum Unbounded just released, so content from there was restricted because of spoilers.

Edited by Honorless