Anyone else catch...

Ascended

Was just doing a reread of RoW via Audible chapter 37 and got where the Fused are accosting the tower. Raboniel looks over at Venli after her kill and says something to the effect of "for Ados sake carry a knife." Any one else catch this? Could the fused have known or heard about Adonalsium?

38 minutes ago, Ascended said:

Was just doing a reread of RoW via Audible chapter 37 and got where the Fused are accosting the tower. Raboniel looks over at Venli after her kill and says something to the effect of "for Ados sake carry a knife." Any one else catch this? Could the fused have known or heard about Adonalsium?

I think she meant Ba-ADO-Mishram.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:28 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

I think she meant Ba-ADO-Mishram.

Interesting, as Kelek calls BAM just "Mishram". If Raboniel is indeed talking about BAM, could the emphasis on different parts of the name indicate something? (Perhaps "Mishram" is the original name, as many people have speculated.)

But then this WoB...:

LewsTherinTelescope

Does "Ba-Ado-Mishram" mean "child of the light of Cultivation and Honor"?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO, but you're doing a pretty good job picking apart the linguistics of that.

But I thought that the child of cultivation and Honor was the sibling, right?

Unless the sibling was created after Mishram was unmade and became Ba-Ado-Mishram. 

There is, now that I think of it, some sort of interesting connection between the sibling and Ba-Ado-Mishram. Why did the Tower shut down when Mishram was imprisoned. It can't just be coincidence, right? Unless I am wrong and the sibling "fell asleep," when Honor died. I don't remember the explanation the book offered for this. 

Anyway, I am interested in learning if BAM and the Sibling are connected. Book 5 is going to be a 1,000 paged Sanderson Avalanche and I am so ready for it!

What if Honor and Cultivation had ten children, but nine were "unmade" by Odium (becoming the nine Unmade) and only the Sibling survived?  This would be consistent with what Sja-Anat says about unmaking (which implies that the Unmade were something else before Odium unmade them), with what Raboniel almost does to the Sibling, and with the general "Honor and Cultivation have ten but Odium only has nine" theme we're seeing.

12 hours ago, yulyulk said:

LewsTherinTelescope

Brandon Sanderson

Due to this WoB I’m leaning toward BAM is a Soren of ALL three Shards would are invested on Roshar.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ascended said:

Could the fused have known or heard about Adonalsium?

It's reasonable to assume that they have, considering that the Heralds are of similar age to the oldest fused, and I believe we have a Herald mentioning Adonalsium by name?

4 hours ago, paperstones said:

Due to this WoB I’m leaning toward BAM is a Soren of ALL three Shards would are invested on Roshar.

I'm leaning most heavily toward this idea too. It makes the most sense considering everything BAM has been mentioned alongside -- the pure tones, those who are truly of Roshar, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did catch that on my first read, and thought it was a reference to Adonalsium, I still think it might be. On another note, I really do like the theory about Mishram being a child of Honor and Cultivation that got Unmade, which is why she affected the world so much when she was imprisoned. 

Edited by Cheyenne Sedai

On 12/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, Kaladin Is a Hero said:

There is, now that I think of it, some sort of interesting connection between the sibling and Ba-Ado-Mishram. Why did the Tower shut down when Mishram was imprisoned. It can't just be coincidence, right? Unless I am wrong and the sibling "fell asleep," when Honor died. I don't remember the explanation the book offered for this. 

The book gave several plausible explanations for this, but we don't know for sure how much any and/or each of them contributed to the Sibling's problem with producing Towerlight. The Sibling themselves mostly attribute it to Honor's death, whose Rhythm they can no longer hear. Kalak suggested that all spren were affected by the imprisonment of Mishram which is what lead to Deadeyes being created by the Recreance, this seems to be when the Sibling started having that difficulty but they weren't exactly great at explaining the situation well.

Weirdly, it seemed like the Sibling started having problems before BAM was sealed. Like I'm sure that didn't help, and neither did Honor's death, but it started earlier than those events. Maybe it had something to do with BAM learning how to provide Forms of Power?

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Weirdly, it seemed like the Sibling started having problems before BAM was sealed. Like I'm sure that didn't help, and neither did Honor's death, but it started earlier than those events. Maybe it had something to do with BAM learning how to provide Forms of Power?

YES.  The gemstone archive Epigraphs clearly show that "something is wrong" with the Sibling at the same time that plans were being made to capture BAM.  That had slipped my mind; thanks, @Gilphon!

I figured the Raboniel quote was a reference to BAM, and I still lean that way... but I don't see any compelling reason it couldn't be Adonalsium, other than the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, NOBODY in the Stormlight Archive - not even the Shards/Vessels - has mentioned that name.  The "typical" modern Rosharan has certainly never heard the name "Adonalsium"... but the Fused in general (and Raboniel in particular) are supposed to be both ancient and knowledgeable.

1 minute ago, AquaRegia said:

YES.  The gemstone archive Epigraphs clearly show that "something is wrong" with the Sibling at the same time that plans were being made to capture BAM.  That had slipped my mind; thanks, @Gilphon!

I figured the Raboniel quote was a reference to BAM, and I still lean that way... but I don't see any compelling reason it couldn't be Adonalsium, other than the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, NOBODY in the Stormlight Archive - not even the Shards/Vessels - has mentioned that name.  The "typical" modern Rosharan has certainly never heard the name "Adonalsium"... but the Fused in general (and Raboniel in particular) are supposed to be both ancient and knowledgeable.

Hoid has mentioned it, but Hoid is Hoid. So Dalinar knows the name now. Hoid mentioned that name because he assumed Dalinar would have knowledge of it, which means he had to have gotten it from somewhere. Either a worldhopper organization, or Cosmere aware Rosharans. And with how knowledgeable the fused are supposed to be, it wouldn't be surprising if they know the name.

18 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

Shash is shouting Adonalsium name, when she feels Jezriens death.

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, paperstones said:

LewsTherinTelescope

Brandon Sanderson

I think, that the Sibling  is literally the sibling of BAM (but BAM was Unmade).

On 1/21/2021 at 9:12 AM, King of Herdaz said:

I am of the opinion that it is Adonalsium. The Heralds name drop Adonalsium several times so it seems like the people of their time, Fused included, knew more about him/it.

The Singers (and Roshar) were created by Adonalsium and if the Heralds know the name the Fused would too I would think. 

If Raboniel meant BAM she’d have said mishram like Kalak does. It’s weird to shorten someone’s name to the chunk in the middle. 

37 minutes ago, RAFOmancer said:

I think, that the Sibling  is literally the sibling of BAM (but BAM was Unmade).

I like this a lot. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

On 12/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ascended said:

Asked and Answered - WoB:

Spoiler

AbjectBed3833

When Raboniel said "For Ado's sake," was she referring to Ba-Ado-Mishram or Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG