12,28,2020 - Snakenaps - Name of the King - D3 Chapter 34 (2,836 words)

Snakenaps

17 minutes ago, Valerie said:

t also seems a bit deus ex machina to me to have a hero swoop in and free her from her sister’s house

I think we're talking about how she gets out of the jail in the palace, at least that's what I was referring to in terms of someone interceding.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

Hmmm... the only problem I have with W (who I assume is her love interest? I don’t have the notes open). Is that it would take away a moment of character empowerment, where Ir manages to free herself. 

it also seems a bit deus ex machina to me to have a hero swoop in and free her from her sister’s house. 

W's not the love interest :) that'd be J. W is more of the pain in the rump busybody who has their thumb in every pie. They're the BK's spy.

And Ir is definitely busting herself out of the house by herself. No one to save her there. What we were mulling over was having the guards from the palace be bribed/be Revolutionaries. In the next chapter (spoilers for like the first paragraph) the BK steps in and finds her in jail. What I'm considering is a try/fail cycle of her trying to warn the BK. She fails to alert him, gets tossed in jail. No BK to fish her out, because the guards won't alert him. 

However, W, hidden as a servant (which they have done before, it's how they like to travel the palace) sees the guards nab her but doesn't overhear what she's being arrested for. Ir saved their tush voluntarily several chapters back, so they trust her to a degree, and more importantly, they know that Ir's sister/brother-in-law are Revolutionaries. W, being incredibly curious and not a little suspicious, would want to know what is going on. Ergo, bust her out for information. 

19 minutes ago, Valerie said:

*slaps head* 

thanks for the clarification. Glad to know Ir is busting herself  out. I was like- noooo I love that part. Good to know it was never in jeopardy.

Thanks for asking for clarification! Otherwise it might have ended up confusing!

12 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

W is about cleverness and disguises, not about assassinations and killing. So they aren't going to brute force the guards. 

I think they could find a way to sneak by. Maybe smuggle in a disguise for I? Maybe make so I has to do something to help W get her out?

3 hours ago, Valerie said:

it also seems a bit deus ex machina to me to have a hero swoop in and free her from her sister’s house. 

I freed herself from her sisters house, so I don't think it would be bad to have W help her out of the dungeon, especially since she earned that help by assisting W on a different mission. 

3 hours ago, Valerie said:

W (who I assume is her love interest? I don’t have the notes open)

W is not the love interest, not even really a friend yet. 

50 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I think they could find a way to sneak by. Maybe smuggle in a disguise for I? Maybe make so I has to do something to help W get her out?

That's my current thought...is to have W pretend they are supposed to nab a completely different prisoner and disguise/illusion Ir as another inmate. Be like, "Hey neighbor, I'll get you these almond cookies if you trade clothes with this woman." They could forge a release document quickly. But they wouldn't be able to make one for Ir because the guards didn't even tell other guards, let alone put her in the registry. 

55 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

4 hours ago, Valerie said:

W (who I assume is her love interest? I don’t have the notes open)

W is not the love interest, not even really a friend yet

I'd argue that W is like the gum on the bottom of your shoe. Appears when you least expect it, sticks around even when you don't want them to, and is hard to get rid of. 

8 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

That's my current thought...is to have W pretend they are supposed to nab a completely different prisoner and disguise/illusion Ir as another inmate. Be like, "Hey neighbor, I'll get you these almond cookies if you trade clothes with this woman." They could forge a release document quickly. But they wouldn't be able to make one for Ir because the guards didn't even tell other guards, let alone put her in the registry. 

That sounds like a great idea!