Astronomers and astrophysicists club! :D

Starborn42

Not attempting to be any of these, but I always am fascinated by anything space-related. Fun fact, Mercury takes 59 days to make one full rotation, but that isn't the same as a day, as it's still orbiting the sun, so a day on Mercury would be three times longer. You may thank Neil DeGrasse Tyson, long may he reign.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Condensation said:

How is the Astronomy Club? I assume you've got lots of late nights with them.

It's a bit difficult at the moment, as our school is still mostly remote for the pandemic, but we've been able to have video calls and meet up a few times in a park with my telescope. Right now we only have about half a dozen people, and they don't show up every time, but I'm hoping that once I have a telescope that can actually see deep sky objects more people might join.

3 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

It's a bit difficult at the moment, as our school is still mostly remote for the pandemic, but we've been able to have video calls and meet up a few times in a park with my telescope. Right now we only have about half a dozen people, and they don't show up every time, but I'm hoping that once I have a telescope that can actually see deep sky objects more people might join.

Well, I'd love to join.

I would if we were close enough.

Dr. Becky on youtube is worth checking out for anyone with an interest in the topic. Unusually for these type of things she is an actual PhD in the subject area, doing research on super massive black holes.

Edit I should say her videos are pretty varied about astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology. It's not all black holes!

Edited by Lupis

Hey, astronomy nerds!  I'm a chemist and science educator (retired) by profession, but I consider myself a hobby-level astronomer.

I would LOVE to have a discussion about the orbits of the moons of Roshar.  Should we do it here, or should I start a new topic?  If so, in which forum?

1 hour ago, AquaRegia said:

I would LOVE to have a discussion about the orbits of the moons of Roshar.  Should we do it here, or should I start a new topic?  If so, in which forum?

Probably you'd start a new topic in the Stormlight Archives forum, unless you're using data from RoW, in which case you'd use the RoW spoiler boards.

2 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

@Rushu42 I guess that makes sense.  I don't think there is anything new about the moons in RoW that wasn't described in the first 3 books.  I'm a little surprised nobody has discussed it here already.

Well, I'd be glad to join in the discussion in my limited capacity once you've made the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Astriphysics <3

What I love about science is that there is often a deeper level.

Tjere is this famous example with the feather and the hammer some of you probably know of.

If you let a hammer and a feather fall in our atmosphere the hammer reaches the ground first. 

If you do the same in a vacuum, they land at the same time. The explanation is, that gravity acxelerates both of these things the same.

But actually the hammer is faster in a vacuum, but the difference is neglectable in this small scales. But the gravitional force at work is dependend on two factors. The distance between the things and the SUM of their masses. And hammer usually is heavier then a father so the sum of earth+hammer is slightly higher than the sum of earth+ father.

Or did I do some miscalculation here?

I think the motions of feather and the hammer will be EXACTLY equal in a vacuum.  F = GMm/r^2 , so the masses of the two interacting objects don't ADD, they MULTIPLY.  Yes, the force on the hammer is bigger... but its resistance to being accelerated (inertia) is also bigger by exactly the same factor, so they cancel out.  At least, that's the high school level Newtonian physics I'm competent at.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If not, planetary systems and galaxies would be problematic indeed.

I used to hear this question a lot when I taught high school, and I honestly don't understand where it comes from.  Why do so many people think gravity is somehow caused by AIR?

Of course, there are still people who honestly think the earth is flat, so...

2 hours ago, Forms of mind said:

I thought nothing exist in vacume. emptyness = no force act on anything because nothing there.

Well it would depend on wether or not Gravitons are a thing, or if it's a distortion of Spacetime as is currently accepted.

Given that gravity is a distortion of spacetime it is a natural function of the backdrop of the universe independent of any particular particle, so even inside of a vaccuum gravity would still effect you.