The Last Song

danex

My grandma posed a rather interesting question to me today, and I figured I’d ask you guys what you think. Suppose you know, with absolute certainty, that you are about to go deaf. You have maybe 10 minutes of hearing left and then that’s it, for the rest of your life.

What would you listen to? And more specifically, what song would you listen too?

This is similar to the basic question “what is your favorite song”, but the more I’ve thought about it, the more I’ve found that it is actually a very different idea. I think I’ve narrowed it down to 3 songs myself, and none of them are what I would call my “favorite” songs. 

My Choices:

Spoiler

Number 3: Clair de Lune 
This song is just so peaceful. One of my favorite piano songs. It’s just a classic.
Number 2: Interstellar Soundtrack
Interstellar is my favorite movie of all time, and it’s music is my favorite movie soundtrack of all time. I know that choosing an entire soundtrack is kinda cheating, but I’m not really. The entire soundtrack can be boiled down to a few key melodies, and that amounts to about one song. If I had time to listen to the entire soundtrack right now I could probably choose a single song that contains most of them. I recommend listening to the first two songs, “Dreaming of the Crash” and “Cornfield Chase”, just to get the gist of the album if you haven't heard it before. I severely recommend listening to the entire thing though, if you have time. The soundtrack of this movie is just so powerful, it’s huge, it’s epic, it’s so emotional. This movie is one of the few pieces of media that has ever made me cry, and the soundtrack is a huge part of that. Some context, I can only think of two pieces of media that have ever made me cry, Interstellar, and RoW. So yeah. It’s amazing. The theme of the movie fits this hypothetical situation really well too. The movie constantly brings up the words of a famous poem, “Do not go gently into the good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light.” Those words fit rather perfectly with this situation do they not? 
Number 1: Pictures at an Exhibition: Promenade
I would like to rescind my earlier words about none of these being what I would consider my “favorite” songs. I love this song. It just feels so...joyous, is a good word for it I think. The song I linked to is a Piano Guy’s rendition of the song, but I think I might like a classier, quieter version a bit better. Pictures at an Exhibition is actually an entire piano suite, but the one leitmotif repeated in the Promenades is what I like specifically. This song is my go-to whenever I want to find some peace. I have a lot of sentimental value attached to it, it’s helped me out a lot, and if I only had enough time to listen to a single song before going deaf forever, this is the probably the one I’d choose. 

So what about you guys? What song would you choose?

My first instinct was just to go with some songs by the Proclaimers because they're my favorite band, but then I realized I agree with you and that I wouldn't necessarily go with my 'favorite' songs. I think I'd listen to various worship songs and hymns, ending with "Amazing Grace"

Also, by the way, Interstellar (both the film and the soundtrack) is absolutely brilliant. You have good taste.