Demosthenes

Anime?

554 posts in this topic

I KNEW I'd seen those swords somewhere! There's a new season? Not another mmo is it...............Kirito's brain and stuff should seriously be messed up.

I've stayed away from Kill la Kill because of the over the topness. Violence I can kind of do, but I stick away from raunchiness. Fate/Zero is seriously amazing for those who haven't seen it. It's on netflix now.

I KNEW I'd seen those swords somewhere! There's a new season? Not another mmo is it...............Kirito's brain and stuff should seriously be messed up.

I've stayed away from Kill la Kill because of the over the topness. Violence I can kind of do, but I stick away from raunchiness. Fate/Zero is seriously amazing for those who haven't seen it. It's on netflix now.

Ha, yeah, it's a new MMO called Gun Gale Online.  And who says Kirito's brain isn't messed up?  :P

Agreed on the raunchiness of Kill la Kill.  That's one of the reasons I'm not sold on it.  I don't think it adds anything.  I can't tell if it's supposed to be a parody of battle anime or if it's just one that's turned up to 11.

I loved Fate/Zero.  The first opening music is still stuck in my head.

Probably my favorite anime aside from Trigun. Although the Caster was seriously freaky. And the flash backs....... I didn't really enjoy those parts.

Caster made for a good initial villain, though I thought the Matou clan thing with the worms was a little more disturbing.

I think the flashbacks were supposed to give Kiritsugu a little more depth, but I didn't find they were entirely necessary.  Plus, they took time away from the awesome Servant battles.

Have you ever seen Fate/stay night?  I haven't looked to hard for it, so I don't know if it's on any of the streaming services yet.

I've seen about the first third, it lacked the epicness of the first. I had to watch it on one of the smaller sites that you always question the legality of.....

Well, that's disappointing on both points!  I would have hoped it would be just as good as Fate/Zero.

Ehhh, not as far as I got. It hasn't even tied up the cliff hanger ending from zero

The Fate/Stay Night anime suffers from the fact that its sorce material in a visual novel with three alternative and vastly different Story routes. The anime mostly adapts the first one, which most of the time is considered the weakest, with some elements of the second route and, from my memory, neglects the final one, which has most of the background answers.

As for SAO. Lets just say that taking a look at Kiritos inner monologue in the LN makes liking this hard. He´s kind of a jerk (and I mean the "watch somebody get scammed and innerly victim shaming them as an idiot, followed by having a friendly chat with the one that scammed the poor fellow"- kind of jerk). Although, knowing some very faint spoiler I had fun riffing the start of the second season.

p.s. Vash the Stampede is pretty awesome.

Edited by Edgedancer

Ooh, I just started binging on anime in the last week or two so this was a good thread to find. Trying to catch up with some new ones that I’ve missed. Saw a lot of great mentions to some old goodies and some that I have on my list to watch (Knights of Sidonia, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online). :)

All-time faves: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Code Geass, Gundam Wing, Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, Death Note, Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (bawlfest). Heat Guy J

Recent-ish faves: Gundam 00, Stein’s Gate, Full Metal Alchemist, NANA (bawlfest), Honey & Clover, Vampire Knight, Eden of the East

In progress fave: Hamatora

#1 Guilty Pleasure: Prince of Tennis

Last Exile was fantastic. I wish I could find a site that played the 2nd season.

My favourite anime are:-

1. FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood--->  It is one anime that made me laugh like a child, and cry...well like a child in the same episode. It has the best soundtrack ever made for an anime. And boy! What about characters. I love Elric brothers. Even the antagonists are lovable.

2. Spice and Wolf---> I love Holo and Lawrence. Holo is the best female anime character I have ever seen. Joyful, and pretty intelligent.

3. Hyouka ---> Oreki and Chitanda, the anime where it is more than just dialogues. I have seen it around 11 times. KyoAni does a very good job of music (Bach's music), and animation.

My favourite anime is definately Trigun. It's one of the best shows I've seen. And it got me watching more shows that are anime.

Some background detail about myself: I started reading manga and watching anime when I was at university. I became so interested in a particular manga (Ranma 1/2) that I decided to teach myself Japanese so that I could read the originals, though about a year after I started that series ended. Anyway, I continued to watch and read... though these days it's hard for me to find a series that feels fresh and original.

Generally I find that my favourite anime series are ones that are anime original or based on novels - I tend to find that ones based on manga tend to suffer in the change of medium and very very few surpass the original. Not that this is unique to manga/anime but I think it's more of a problem for manga, probably due to pacing of chapters vs pacing of episodes. Anime based on 4-koma manga seem to do better - most well known ones being Azumanga Daiouh and Lucky Star.

There's a lot of anime I could recommend but most of them have been pretty well covered. I'll definitely recommend The Twelve Kingdoms which is a fantasy series with some unique world-building (and the most awesome "rat" ever), though it takes a while to get into it. Episode 39 is probably my favourite episode of anime of all time still. I see that Spice and Wolf is recommended above and I'll re-recommend it: a delightful fantasy series which is more a slice of life / travelogue (it's nice to see fantasy which isn't all about saving the world/kingdom). I'll also recommend the Crest of the Stars and Battle of the Stars series, which is a space opera that is more from the point of view of the "aliens".

Side note, probably my second favourite anime episode of all time is the penultimate episode of Slayers Next, mostly because it ends with the "big bad" screaming in fear (normally the exact opposite of what you expect to see). Shame that the Slayers TV series dialled up the slap-stick so much over the original novels. The OVAs/movies were much better.

Some more recent anime that I can recommend to try out (not to everyone's taste) that I've not seen mentioned yet:

• K-on! Best music anime since Nodame.
  • Emma - romance / drama in Victorian England.
  • Servant x Service - by the same author of Working! (which I also recommend). Romcom series set in a civil service office.
  • Humanity Has Declined - surreal light fantasy / satire set in future Earth where humans have declined to a sort-of medieval state and faeries are taking over.
  • Bodacious Space Pirates (unfortunate name translation) - space opera / comedy / action series with female space pirates (technically privateer since they're state licensed). I thought it started well but felt bit let-down by the ending. I think all the other good action anime of recent years have already been recommended.
  • Usagi Drop - slice of life. Middle-ish aged man adopts young girl who is the hidden daughter of his grandfather (who just died) and his careworker.
  • Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - sort of parody of the whole "shojo manga" genre (and some other things). The TV series is new for the current season and ongoing.

Here's some manga recommendations too while I'm at it (not all available commercially in English):

• Vinland Saga - vikings / action. Sort of heroic fantasy but is loosely based on real historical figures. Set in Europe in early 11th centuary. Content warning for violence but much better than most "heroic fantasy" stories I've read. Best manga I've discovered this year.
  • Teppu (Iron Wind) - MMA action series. Main character is a fairly twisted girl who has the kind of personality that you'd normally see in an antagonist.
  • Blood and Steel - actually a manhua (Chinese manga). Wuxia / martial arts that keeps things relatively grounded
  • Beelzebub - action / comedy. Hoodlum is forced to adopt son of Satan.
  • Last Innings - baseball manga, from coach's POV.
  • Otoyomegatari (A Bride's Story) - set in 19th centuary middle Asia. Some of the earlier chapters are more "slice of life" but there's some heavy drama later on too. By same author of Emma.
  • One Punch Man - superhero comedy / action. Think you can't have a good story with a totally overpowered hero? Think again! (note, there's two versions of this - one is the 'original' and the other is a re-write/draw by a pro manga artist)

I would love to try Spice and Wolf, but Netflix only has season 2 for some stupid reason, and I have a fairly strick policy of not watching anime not on netflix. Mostly because I hate other sites.

I would love to try Spice and Wolf, but Netflix only has season 2 for some stupid reason, and I have a fairly strick policy of not watching anime not on netflix. Mostly because I hate other sites.

Ouch.

Maybe you can borrow the DVDs? The novel series is being translated too - it's actually further along than the anime is now. The anime is very nicely done though, highly recommended (though not for everyone obviously)

Does RWBY count? RWBY is awesome.

It's not Japanese anime, but American animation that borrows a lot from Anime, but in 3D, English, and with American culture, not japanese. It's really good, and I highly recommend it.

It's from RoosterTeeth, the same people who make RvB

I like to pretend SAO ended after episode 14, because the second half of the first season was kinda meh. Especially because of the character who spends the first half of the season being awesome and the second half sitting around waiting to be rescued. This doesn't stop me from watching each new episode of season two, but golly, I wish they had just kept telling more stories inside of Aincraid.

The Second Arc of SAO was... different.

The danger was no longer life and death, so they gave us a different Danger, for us to care that much about... Unfortunately, that meant Asuna became a "Princess in the Castle" which was very disappointing. Though did have a few good moments - I wish they had given at least one more partially successful escape attempt...

Yui though, still makes me grin at the cuteness.

I just wasn't as enthralled by the whole "Brother-Sister" Relationship, over the first, more interesting relationship of people trapped in a violent world trying to survive, and yet still lead "Lives" at the same time, as weeks becomes months and years...

It was indeed inferior to the first arc, but not "Bad" as such...

I was also just waiting for "Survivor" to become a thing... You know - a kinda mythological player, anyone who survived SAO, was noitcably better than anyone around them... But understandably, most never went near a game again.

A small note for anyone who watched and enjoyed Fate/Zero but hasn't seen Fate/Stay Night - the studio that did Fate/Zero (ufotable) is going to re-adapt Fate/Stay Night to TV anime, starting 4th October... though they're going to do the "unlimited blade works" route (the original TV series followed the main/default route of the game).

Fate/Zero is basically a prequel to Fate/Stay Night.

Well, hey, I loved Fate/zero so if they redo Fate/Stay maybe it'd be worth watching. course, where would I watch it......

Okay, here are some more. 

1. Mushishi, and Mushishi:Zoku Shou (Mushishi Season 2)

This anime does not have a storyline, or arc(s) thing. Each episode is totally different from its previous one. This is a more philosophically inclined anime, which emphasis that every living being struggles for its survival, and this sometimes leads to bad events. 

It has an exceptional music. The opening track is in English. Mushishi: Zoku Shou has the opening track by Lucy Rose (Shiver is the song). The ending track is different for each episode, and is awesome. 

The scenery included in the anime is worthy to be your desktop wallpaper.

The only bad thing is that the characters are not that radically different in their faces. Maybe this is from the author trying to show us that not all humans are too attractive to fall in love (in first sight).

2. Samurai Champloo

This anime is from the creator of Cowboy Bebop. It has samurai(as the name suggests) + elements of hip-hop.

So one would see 19th century japanese engaging in rap battles, having tattoos, doing graffiti, playing baseball with Americans and thrashing them, and of course there is a lot of sword play too. Oh! I forgot to mention that there are zombies too, in one episode.

The music is amazing. The opening track is one of my favourites. It is an English rap song done by japanese artists. 

Ouch.

Maybe you can borrow the DVDs? The novel series is being translated too - it's actually further along than the anime is now. The anime is very nicely done though, highly recommended (though not for everyone obviously)

Do you know where can I read the novels? I would absolutely love to do so, but since they are no longer on Baka-Tsuki, and are not available in my country, I can't read them  :(  :(

1. Mushishi, and Mushishi:Zoku Shou (Mushishi Season 2)

This anime does not have a storyline, or arc(s) thing. Each episode is totally different from its previous one. This is a more philosophically inclined anime, which emphasis that every living being struggles for its survival, and this sometimes leads to bad events. 

It has an exceptional music. The opening track is in English. Mushishi: Zoku Shou has the opening track by Lucy Rose (Shiver is the song). The ending track is different for each episode, and is awesome. 

The scenery included in the anime is worthy to be your desktop wallpaper.

The only bad thing is that the characters are not that radically different in their faces. Maybe this is from the author trying to show us that not all humans are too attractive to fall in love (in first sight).

Mushishi is a thing of beauty. The people Ginko meets and their story are very well developed, given that they only have one episode each. I also like how Ginko, the character whom the story follows, isn´t the "protagoist" of every episode, instead only taking up as much screen time and plot importance as is needed for him and his behavior reflects that, not forcing himself on others but still dedicated to doing the right thing.

If anyone wants sometinhg thought provoking or melancholical give it a try.

Mushishi was incredibly boring to me. Sorry guys, I just couldn't take it. I don't think I even made it through episode 2, although only after getting assurances from people that things never changed. I couldn't bring myself to like it, it was just so.............dull? something like that.