Anime?

Demosthenes

Lots of love for various Gundams in this thread.

My only exposure was Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, which I enjoyed a lot, at first. But somewhere in the middle, everyone started changing allegiances every few episodes. It got tedious real fast, and I couldn't make myself keep watching.

As previously mentioned, I have a weakness for giant robots and explosions. So, maybe there's a better Gundam out there? What would you recommend?

Lots of love for various Gundams in this thread.

My only exposure was Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, which I enjoyed a lot, at first. But somewhere in the middle, everyone started changing allegiances every few episodes. It got tedious real fast, and I couldn't make myself keep watching.

As previously mentioned, I have a weakness for giant robots and explosions. So, maybe there's a better Gundam out there? What would you recommend?

Haven't seen Gundam Wing but as far as I know changing allegiances is very popular in Mecha genre :D Gundam 00 had some of it too but not much if I remember correctly. Code Geass had a lot of it. I don't remember any in Break Blade. Gurren Lagann did it once(?) but it's kinda different. I haven't seen original series of Evangelion, only first two movies that retell the story with awesome animations but there wasn't any of that as well. But TTGL is the one that takes giant robots and explosions on another level :D

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a bit of Shingeki no Kyojin, but concluded the manga is better. Ghosthunt was pretty good too, but I think it's stopped for now. Also, Bleach--but I'm convinced Bleach has gone downhill ever since a particular arc.

Most Bleach fans will probably know what I'm talking about.

If we're talking older anime: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo.

Edited by Kasimir

Peter, thanks for tipping me off about Silver Spoon. I'm really loving it, and I probably never would have tried it without your recommendation. (The fact that it's by Arakawa helps too. She earned an "I will watch whatever you produce" card with Fullmetal Alchemist.)

...of course, the downside to watching shows like Silver Spoon is that there is so little out there that can measure up. I blew through the entire show this week, and now I'm wrecked for watching other things.

Maybe a Nichijou rewatch is in order. Or Moribito. I'd put them in the same league.

Favorite animes and mangas, hey?

(Clears throat)

• Death Note
  • Naruto (Shippuden)
  • Bleach
  • Hellsing
  • Black Cat
  • One Piece
  • Blue Excorcist
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Shaman King (and Flowers)
  • D Gray Man
  • Dragonball (all of them)
  • Kuroshitsuji (or Black Butler)
  • Yugioh (original)

And all the abridged series.

Lightsworn Panda, on 09 May 2014 - 1:01 PM, said:

Favorite animes and mangas, hey?

(Clears throat)

• Death Note
  • Naruto (Shippuden)
  • Bleach
  • Hellsing
  • Black Cat
  • One Piece
  • Blue Excorcist
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Shaman King (and Flowers)
  • D Gray Man
  • Dragonball (all of them)
  • Kuroshitsuji (or Black Butler)
  • Yugioh (original)
And all the abridged series.

Panda, you got my immediate upvote just for Kurohitsuji and D Gray Man and Fullmetal Alchemist ;) But do you still like/follow Bleach?

D.Gray-Man for the win guys. Same for Blue Exorcist, and manga Death Note. Oh and Black Butler- the ending to that left me in shock for two days. :mellow:

Edited by CalebTheGeek

CalebTheGeek, on 10 May 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

D.Gray-Man for the win guys. Same for Blue Exorcist, and manga Death Note. Oh and Black Butler- the ending to that left me in shock for two days. :mellow:

I'd agree about Blue Exorcist, but I haven't read anything more than the first three chapters, so I'm going to take that as a sign that I should keep on keeping on ;)

CalebTheGeek, on 10 May 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

I watched Blue Exorcist because it actually has an ending, whereas the manga just kind of tapers off to my understanding. BE just got added to netflix, so I would recommend that.

Alas, thank you for the recommendation, but we don't get netflix in my geographical location. I'll see what I can do, but I wouldn't mind dealing with the manga in any case.

Incidentally, for anime: I also watched Ghosthunt, but some of it freaked me out enough that I decided I was going to stop before I damaged my ability to get sleep irreparably.

Panda, you got my immediate upvote just for Kurohitsuji and D Gray Man and Fullmetal Alchemist  ;) But do you still like/follow Bleach? 

I still do read and like the latest Bleach manga. The latest arc - the Vandenreich - has made a lot of big advances in plot and character design since the good-for-nothing Xcution arc. 

For Example, (and Spoilers up ahead. I don't know how to hide them)

Spoilers:

• Kenpachi (the really spiky haired maniac) learns his Shikai
  • Ichigo's mother is a Quincy
  • Zangetsu is actually the main antagonist of the arc - Yhwach, the King of Quincies - from 1000 years ago.
  • Zangetsu becomes TWO SWORDS (vomits rainbows of adoration)
  • The Captain General dies (Breaks down crying).

End of Spoilers

Anyway, its a pity that the author of D Gray Man hasn't released a new chapter since last year.

Lightsworn Panda, on 10 May 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

I still do read and like the latest Bleach manga. The latest arc - the Vandenreich - has made a lot of big advances in plot and character design since the good-for-nothing Xcution arc.

For Example, (and Spoilers up ahead. I don't know how to hide them)

Spoilers:

• Kenpachi (the really spiky haired maniac) learns his Shikai
  • Ichigo's mother is a Quincy
  • Zangetsu is actually the main antagonist of the arc - Yhwach, the King of Quincies - from 1000 years ago.
  • Zangetsu becomes TWO SWORDS (vomits rainbows of adoration)
  • The Captain General dies (Breaks down crying).
End of Spoilers

Anyway, its a pity that the author of D Gray Man hasn't released a new chapter since last year.

Yeah, fair enough--I actually found most of the developments in the Vandenreich arc ridiculous and increasingly contrived, so I stopped reading. But I know it's a matter of taste, and thanks for explaining to me what you enjoyed about it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite anime series of all time is Rurouni Kenshin. It was the second anime series I had ever watched (the first being Flame of Recca). It was back in my high school days and I remember watching it on VHS and thinking it was epic. I have yet to watch it a second time, but I plan on doing that sometime in the near future.

My other favorites are: 

Full Metal Alchemist 

Trigun (Vash the Stampede!)

Naruto (would be amazing without all the fillers and sometimes it drags on and on...)

Bleach (again would be great without all the fillers)

Death Note

Attack on Titan

Gundam 00

I hear that Code Geass: LeLouch of the Rebellion is really good. I plan on watching that next. 

My favorite anime series of all time is Rurouni Kenshin. It was the second anime series I had ever watched (the first being Flame of Recca). It was back in my high school days and I remember watching it on VHS and thinking it was epic. I have yet to watch it a second time, but I plan on doing that sometime in the near future.

My other favorites are: 

Full Metal Alchemist 

Trigun (Vash the Stampede!)

Naruto (would be amazing without all the fillers and sometimes it drags on and on...)

Bleach (again would be great without all the fillers)

Death Note

Attack on Titan

Gundam 00

I hear that Code Geass: LeLouch of the Rebellion is really good. I plan on watching that next. 

Code Geass is closest anime to Death Note there is. It has much more action/romance/comedy/school though which makes it even better at least for me and it chooses sci-fi way of doing stuff instead of fantasy. Ultimately its better than Death Note simply because it's ending wasn't scrapped and it's second season did much better than DN's. So if DN is your favorite as well as Gundam 00 than you'll most likely love it.

• 1 month later...

It's driving me nuts that Knights of Sidonia, Death Note, and Vampire Knight were all added within a fairly close time period of each other. I don't have time to watch them all!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mellow:

I should really just ignore Death Note since I've read the manga, but the anime is good too...........

Off the top of my head:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagon

FLCL

Baccano!

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Trigun

Cowboy Bebob

Samurai Champloo

Dragon Ball Z (Kai)

Zoids

Gundam 00 and Seed

Sword Art Online (the first half)

Attack on Titan

Angel Beast

Fruits Basket

Naruto

Pokemon

Digimon

Yu Gi Oh!

Last Exile

Code Geass

Death Note

Ghost in the Shell

It's weird, I find it hard to think of shows like Pokemon, Digimon and Yu Gi Oh as being anime, since I watched them before I knew what anime was. They have always just been normal.  

Just picking up on this page, but I see some good ones have been mentioned!  Here's my list of favorites in no particular order:

Last Exile

Full Metal Alchemist (original series and Brotherhood)

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Naruto

Various Gundams (though it's been awhile since I've been one, so I might feel differently about them now)

Rurouni Kenshin (Yes!!!)

Outlaw Star

Neon Genesis Evangelion (the new movie is amazing...we still don't have any of the others and I'm not entirely sure they've been released in the US anyway)

Kino's Journey

Ghost in the Shell

Trigun

Almost anything Miyazaki was involved with

YES!!! Someone who's seen Trigun! Hahahahahaha, oh you are my new friend!

Oh and good taste in not finishing SAO, it got REALLY weird.

As someone who loved SAO (*cough*my avatar*cough*), I do admit the second half was strange.  Though the next season has started and it looks very promising.

I started watching Kill la Kill this weekend.  Man, that one is so over the top.  Can't decide what I think about it yet.  Anyone else seen it?