Anime?

Demosthenes

We're watching Rah Xephon which slews back and forth between being enjoyable and pretentious but seems to be getting better the more episodes we watch. I wish Haruka would stop screaming Ayato's name whenever he's fighting, but I have little hope for that actually happening.

• 2 years later...

At the moment my attention seems to be on the Shonnen Trinity: One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach. I'm both watching the Anime and reading the Manga. I also reasently watched Fairy Tail from beginning to the most current Anime Arc and finished with the Manga. I didn't like the Anime of Claymore (mostly because of how they ended it >|  ) but I loved the Manga.

One manga I suggest to anybody I think can stomach it is Berserk! The feel of that story has had a big impact on some of the stories I've written.

I saw a random 2-season anime series called Wolf's Rain a few years back. I liked it, it was very well done. Plot wasn't drawn out at all, not many fillers if any. Really weird story. There are people who are really Wolves, but everybody sees them as people still. They're really just huge frickin' wolves though. Kinda weird. Can't remember the plot too much but I remember the ending was super brutal. (I don't like the sappy, happy ending nonsense all the time)

These wolves, or the last 5 of them or so left at least, are all trying to find a place called 'Paradise', where they can go do all that paradise stuff. (living in peace and hapiness, blah blah blah). Bad guys trying to take it over, the usual.

But in the end they all get to the place they thought would be where they can get to Paradise, all fight the bad guy (who's a bigger, badder wolf) and he basically kills them all and dies in the process, too).
So they all die and there's no paradise. But they end up getting resurrected as humans, I guess that's what happens to Wolves when they die.

But it was still a pretty cool Anime.

Anyone else watch Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)?? I'm right in the middle of the series and I'm FREAKING out because it's insane! If you're looking for the next anime to watch, watch this one. Seriously. (however, be aware that it's pretty heavy on violence and has some nudity in it)1eacec98b28430ce797ee649b22c78b4.jpg

(What's it about? Hmmm... if I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's a tad bit like the Hunger Games but waaaay more intense and almost all the survival game competitors are crazy psychopaths. Oh, and the god of time and space, who started the competition, gave all the competitors the ability to tell the future in different ways.) Just watch it @_@

We're watching Bleach and just caught up to Viz's 67-episode gap on Hulu. So now we have to wait. =\

Which means we're back to watching FMA:B. We had stopped at episode 6. We watched about half the original series years ago but got distracted. And we have over a dozen volumes of the manga.

I think we have got to watch Bebop soon though, maybe after FMA:B. Karen has never seen it at all.

I'm wary of actually committing to reading Bleach just because it's soooo long (I stopped a while back at about volume 9). I'll never finish =/

FMA:B, though, is fantastic. Probably my favorite anime of all time. I have to say I think Brotherhood is much better than the original anime, so try to finish it if you've got the time! :D

In the recent time Sword art online first 14 episodes are the best anime that I watched (don't laugh I have a soft spot for "agaist all odd plots", even if are in lighthearted anime like this), It's a pity that the history is to rushed tough, who knows maybe when they release a little more progressive volumes a second anime will be made, that wold be nice.

Silver spoon is nice, Fullmetal are suberb, very nice magic system and characters.

One piece, but i liked the first part better.

Hunter X Hunter are nice too (i like the Nen magic system) but Togashi are the George Martin of Japan and all delays reall kill the mood.

Psyren(manga) such pity that was cancelled

Yuyu Hakusho, and DB and DBZ are all tie classic first animes that I wacthed in my country before anime get popular.

But recently both animes, and Jrpgs are getting a little stale in my oppinion, to much fanservice and repetitive plots, or maybe I'm getting old =)

Edited by Natans

Wait, what? I'm right in the middle of the manga right now. Do you mean the anime was cancelled before they started it up or that the manga stopped being released? D:

I heard rumors of the anime, but apparently the idea was axed when the manga was cancelled. =(

Why thank you kindly, Richard. :)

Oh my, you are a very smart feline indeed, nice timing too=)

Secret color code discovered now is time to try another thing,another upvote for you. What I did wrong ? =)

Edited by Natans

• 2 weeks later...

My all time favorite anime is Mushi-Shi, though I don't think I could explain why other than its such a change of pace. Its very relaxing, and kind of like a nature show in a way, with Ginko the host going from town to town helping people with their spirit creature problems

I saw a random 2-season anime series called Wolf's Rain a few years back. I liked it, it was very well done. Plot wasn't drawn out at all, not many fillers if any. Really weird story. There are people who are really Wolves, but everybody sees them as people still. They're really just huge frickin' wolves though. Kinda weird. Can't remember the plot too much but I remember the ending was super brutal. (I don't like the sappy, happy ending nonsense all the time)

I'm really glad to see a mention of Wolf's Rain, I adore it but it doesn't seem like many others have seen it unless they were watching Adult Swim 7 or 8 years ago.

Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell SAC and 2nd Gig, Paranoia Agent, Trigun, and Monster are all favorites of mine, and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. (A terrible habit of mine, forgetting things I like while things I dislike stay in my head.)

I really wish 20th Century Boys (my all time favorite manga) would get an anime. It got a live action movie trilogy, but the second and third movies, while visually stunning changed the plot just a little too much for my liking.

Edited by Jeckal

Fairytail is so much win, best of the main shounen anime IMO.
Mirrai Nikki is awesome, just great characters and a good plot, fast paced and I still don't know how I missed the ending.
Code Geass, also great and amazing, recommended for anyone who liked Death note, quite similar.
Death note, classic although I still get annoyed at the second season, should have left it at the first.
Naruto is good but a bit heavy on flashbacks, gets a bit repetitive and annoying.
Bleach I found to be a bit heavy on the exposition in every fight, it lost a lot of pacing when it's 3 episodes of people talking to each other just for 3 minutes of fighting.
Elfen Lied was good but a bit graphic in the violence and nudity departments.
Sword art online was good, as is Log Horizon, which is a similar show that's airing still.
Not really an anime but I freaking love RWBY, hillarious, great characters, awesome fight scenes, although the animation is a little subpar outside of the combat.

SAO has a second season coming up, actually; on that note, I actually wouldn't call Log Horizon similar to SAO in anything but its basic premise. The focus is quite different, although saying how it's different would spoil at least a bit of the series.

SAO has a second season coming up, actually; on that note, I actually wouldn't call Log Horizon similar to SAO in anything but its basic premise. The focus is quite different, although saying how it's different would spoil at least a bit of the series.

Nay. I liked SAO for the against all odds scenario in the Aincrad arc, it's such a pity that the plot are so rushed the premise are very nice(trapped in a death game for years),setting are right to me with like the "in-game gameplay" withou magic and such, I hope that in the progressive LN in some years we wil have a nice material to another "more complete Aincrad arc"

I readed the LN but none of the next arc have the same "fell" to me. 

About Log Horizon i liked this anime. To me LH have another take in the same scenario (trapped in a gmae), with more secret, less focus in battles and more focus in the human interaction with the other players and NPC.

I heard rumors of the anime, but apparently the idea was axed when the manga was cancelled. =(

Oh, no! That's sad  :(

On the other hand, for anyone who hasn't seen Angel Beats, watch it. It's fantastic, way better than I thought it'd be. 

Also, has anyone else seen Pandora Hearts? I just finished the anime yesterday, and it was really disappointing :(

Main long running still ongoing shounens: One Piece > Hunter x Hunter > Fairy Tail > Naruto > Bleach. At least for me. I stopped watching/reading Naruto and Bleach 2 or 3 years ago. And sadly Fairy Tail's anime was doing better than Manga is doing right now. OP and HxH are only ones I keep watching/reading every week.
My favorite animes: Samurai Champloo, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. 
And fav mangas: BERSERK, Holyland, Veritas, Vagabond, Sun-ken Rock, Guntz, One Piece, Tower of God.

btw Log Horizon is so much better than SAO, at least from gamer perspective :)

You really like One Piece better than Hunter x Hunter? I'm very curious as to why. I tried to watch it years ago, but gave up after like 10 episodes because I found Luffy extremely annoying. Hunter, on the other hand, is one of my favorite shows, so maybe OP is worth another look?

You really like One Piece better than Hunter x Hunter? I'm very curious as to why. I tried to watch it years ago, but gave up after like 10 episodes because I found Luffy extremely annoying. Hunter, on the other hand, is one of my favorite shows, so maybe OP is worth another look?

It is. Even though HxH and One Piece started almost at the same time OP is twice as long and it still keeps getting better and better with every arc. HxH is one of the best out there and IMO no other long running shounen got anything on it except OP. It might come down to tastes in the end but if you're into shounen stuff then One Piece is a must. It's a bit hard to get into now, because it has a bit "weird" art(which you'll love if you watch/read at least half of it) and first episodes/chapters are really old so you shouldn't except them to have hd quality. And yeah, Luffy got classic shounen hero personality but at least he does it better than others(He gets a lot of character development later). How far did you get on your first try? I'm something of a special case because I was hooked up from first episode even though it's mostly agreed upon that it has slow start. Mostly people get hooked up after Sanji is introduced and Zoro has to fight someone special early on and then Arlong Arc happens. Oh and do not ever watch 4kids version :D

Edited by 213

Have to agree with 213, Most people get hooked on One Piece at Arlong Arc, around episode 30.  Some arcs are stronger than others, and the HxH chimera ant arc is better than most of the OP arcs, but there are one or two OP arcs which I think are better. (Granted, chimera ant arc isn't over, so it is hard to really judge it).  But, like longer book series, One Piece is an investment, only you can judge if it is worth the time.

Have to agree with 213, Most people get hooked on One Piece at Arlong Arc, around episode 30.  Some arcs are stronger than others, and the HxH chimera ant arc is better than most of the OP arcs, but there are one or two OP arcs which I think are better. (Granted, chimera ant arc isn't over, so it is hard to really judge it).  But, like longer book series, One Piece is an investment, only you can judge if it is worth the time.

Yeah, as a whole most of One Piece arcs aren't that good compared to HxH but there's something awesome in every single one of them and you can feel that author has thought his stuff out before putting it on paper. Story, setting, characters, etc, he's not thinking up these stuff as he goes and keeping this epic going after 700 chapters, that's something I've never seen/read before in anime/manga. HxH on the other hand is a lot more unique compared to other shounens almost in everything and seriously I think it should be Seinen.