Demosthenes

Anime?

554 posts in this topic

animehaven is quite good, they usually have different versions (subs/dubs) and almost always in HD.

We finished watching Golden Time. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The girl who is annoying at the beginning mellows out. Characters actually sit down and talk to each other. (Though sometimes this takes a bit too long to happen.)

Now we're watching Ace of the Diamond and enjoying it, 11 episodes in.

World Trigger is starting a filler arc at our next episode in the queue, episode 49. Up until this point, the bits of non-manga stuff in the anime have been integrated very well into the existing plot. I'm hoping this filler arc is at all decent. But I'm having flashbacks to Bleach already.

Also, right now Karen is rewatching the beginning of Bleach. That show does start off really well. (Oh, hah, "Number One" from the Bleach soundtrack just came up on my iTunes.)

I watched 3 episodes of Erased and am very intrigued.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Just finished Monster, and I absolutely loved it. At times the pacing seemed a bit slow, but everything was tied together very well in the end. Johan Liebert may be one of the greatest and most horrifying villains of all time. Besides the pacing, I couldn't find to much to complain about. I also just finished One Punch Man (Yeah yeah, I know I'm late) and I enjoyed that quite a bit as well. In my opinion, it lives up to the hype.  

Now that I've finished those two, I was finally able to start Neon Genesis Evangelion. The animation style seems a bit dated, but that doesn't surprise me since the original air date was twenty years ago. But I'm willing to sit through it because I have heard nothing but good things about the story. Really glad I've started this one, I've been putting it off for long enough.  

Just got around to watching One Punch Man after all this time. Just finished episode 9, and I think the Deep Sea King arc was one of the best ones yet. I'm thinking of a particular moment you all probably know involving a Justice Crash and the good aspects of a crowd.

We are caught up on Erased. Time travel stop-a-serial-killer show. It's pretty intense, and I hope no good guys die permanently.

We are caught up on Erased. Time travel stop-a-serial-killer show. It's pretty intense, and I hope no good guys die permanently.

Erased is easily the best anime I've watched this season (probably the best I've seen in the last year or two). Some of those cliffhangers are heartrending. I really hope the quality runs through to the end, I'd hate it if it suddenly went X-MenLastStand/Spider-Man3 on me.

So the first anime I watched was Rosario+Vampire( this was several years back when I didn't have very strict standards for my entertainment). It's a very raunchy anime, but it was really funny and enjoyable back then. I don't expect I'll ever rewatch it. I was really bored the other morning(I woke up at 5:30) and so I tried to find a manga app. I actually found one, and I started the R+V manga for some reason. It's not nearly as raunchy as the anime, which is excellent. I've been reading it really steadily, and it's been a lot of fun. It's a pitty the mangaka never finished the series.

We've been very slowly watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, and this week we hit episode 9, which is one of those "this changes everything" episodes. I'm hoping the show can pull out a satisfying ending. The pacing feels a bit off.

In manga, the most recent chapter of Spirit Circle was essentially the climax, and it was very well done. This series is fantastic and very unlike anything else I've read. It's a reincarnation-eternal-antagonists story, and the different cultures are all fascinating.

The only anime I watched was Deathnote.

I'm a third of the way into One Punch Man, and gosh it's fantastic. I might like it even more than Samurai Flamenco, which One Punch reminds me of strongly.

Alright guys, I'm new to anime. I have seen SAO, The seven deadly Sins, Fairy Tail, and I have started Fate/Zero. All fairly entry level ones that I was able to find on netflix, but are there any others that you would reccomend?

Alright guys, I'm new to anime. I have seen SAO, The seven deadly Sins, Fairy Tail, and I have started Fate/Zero. All fairly entry level ones that I was able to find on netflix, but are there any others that you would reccomend?

Death Note

Darker Than Black

Baccano!

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Tamako Market

Welcome to the NHK

Trigun is a must, as it'll start moving you into, what I consider to be much higher quality shows. It's goofy like the first three you listed, but also has a ton of depth that I found lacking in the first three. It's not on netflix right now, but you should try to find it.

Fullmetal Alchemist, or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood should be great for you. They're fantastic shows, and on most people's top ten list. They should both be on netflix, although Brotherhood is missing the final ten ish episodes for some reason.

You're already watching Fate/Zero, so I can't recommend that, but I do love it.

Ouran High Host Club is a great comedy, reverse harem, and might be a good way to expand your experience to the slice of life and comedy genres.

Silver Spoon is an even funnier show, that is also( in my opinion) less shallow than Ouran. Again, aside from being a real fun show, it also gives you a taste of different genres which is very important.

I'm not a fan of mecha anime generally, but one that I did like is called Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-Ne. You might like it, you might hate it, wouldn't blame you either way.

Angel Beats is an amazing collision of several genres, and I really can't recommend it enough. Be warned, you will probably cry at least a little bit. This is one of the few shows that's ever actually touched my heart. It's not on netflix right now, but do yourself a favor and find a way to watch it.

Hmmmm.... Since your new to anime, I really suggest to just keep trying different genres. Learn what you like and dislike about anime. It's a massive area of entertainment, so figuring out the kinds of things you like is immensely important I think.
I haven't ever really watched any chick-flick/pure romance series, just out of lack of interest, so I don't know of any to tell you to try. Other than that, I think my list is pretty good, and most are on netflix.

Retsam's chart is pretty good for getting a toehold into just about any genre.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Monster

Cowboy Bebop

FLCL

Serial Experiments Lain

Paranoia Agent

You want some movies? Of course you want some movies.

Spirited Away

Howls Moving Castle

Paprika

Perfect Blue

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Yes, it is on Netflix. Yes, it is the best anime EVER.

ERASED ended tonight; and while it definitely ended weaker than it started, I wouldn't go as far as to call it bad.  It's less a case where the ending was bad, but simply just not as good as what came before.  I think the issue is that the Kayo subplot of ERASED was a lot more engaging than the overall "stop the murderer" plot, and it went on long enough that you practically forget that the subplot wasn't the main plot, and then it ends, and the show never quite recaptures that "magic".  

It's not that the ending does anything super wrong (though the last episode in particular is a bit odd in places), it's just less good by comparison.

ERASED ended tonight; and while it definitely ended weaker than it started, I wouldn't go as far as to call it bad.  It's less a case where the ending was bad, but simply just not as good as what came before.  I think the issue is that the Kayo subplot of ERASED was a lot more engaging than the overall "stop the murderer" plot, and it went on long enough that you practically forget that the subplot wasn't the main plot, and then it ends, and the show never quite recaptures that "magic".  

It's not that the ending does anything super wrong (though the last episode in particular is a bit odd in places), it's just less good by comparison.

Hm, I just watched tha last episode and I have to say that it ended in much more decent way than I predicted. So maybe I will rewatch this thing, to catch up on episodes I have missed. 

The thing is that I really liked this series at the beginning, so I decided to read the manga. But manga spoiled me the reveal of World's most predictable murderer ever. SO I dropped the anime, because I really dislike predictability. But I'll rewatch it and then I'll see.

The chart is wrong. Naruto is finished as of now... But I'd recommend watching only the first series, but if you watch it, the hook would be to strong not to watch Shippuuden, and that's fine. Shippuuden is good up to, let's say, maybe 214.

At no point bother watching the fillers. Just don't.

See, I just watched the latest Naruto episode today (only just made available earlier this week on CrunchyRoll), and I'm totally okay with filler so long as it's the backstory kind.  I love me some backstory.

Sorry if this was covered on an earlier page (I haven't been on 17th Shard in a while), but anyone else loving Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans?  I'm not caught up yet.  The reason is that I got my husband caught on it, and we had to start back at the beginning and only watch it when he's around (he's not a binge watcher like me). We're at around episode 12 or 13 right now.

Edit to add: Thanks for talking up ERASED. I don't think I would have stumbled upon this without a recommendation, but the idea intrigues me.  (Also, if you like that sort of thing and want to play a board game, check out Tragedy Looper.)

Edited by traceria

I finished One Punch Man earlier this week. Holy setup for season two batman!

Still, disregarding the heavy handed setup, that was a fantastic show. I adored pretty much the whole thing, and I can't wait to see where it continues.

There is no such thing as 'heavy handed setup' when you're chopping a source material to make a season of anime out of it. It's as if somebody made a movie out of Part 1 & 2 of The Way Of Kings and you'd complain that there was a 'heavy handed setup' for a sequel. You see what I mean?

We finished watching ERASED. I found it very satisfying, and I was happy with the show all the way through. More like this please!

I'm watching Iron-Blooded Orphans, too, (a few episodes behind) though I don't think I'd go so far as to say "loving" it.   Not hating it either; it's just a case where it, for me at least, comes maddeningly close to being a really good show, but consistently falls short.

The characters all end up being a bit flat and undeveloped, and the big dramatic moments are telegraphed to the point of removing almost any surprise.

But the biggest thing is that it just feels sluggishly paced to me.  25 episodes was *far* too long for a plot that boils down to "bring princess to Earth".

Another thing that's slightly bothered me, (something I totally admit is pretty unfair to really hold against a mecha anime, but bothers me nonetheless) is the general disinterest in actual physics and lack of realism overall.  The most obvious, for me, is when a bunch of children born and raised on Mars or in space land on Earth and not a single one remarks on Earth gravity being over two and a half times as strong as Martian gravity.

---

That last point wasn't helped by watching Planetes halfway through this show.  It's an older show (early 2000s), but it's pretty unique in it's realism and setting.  It's set in the nearish future of space travel (late 21st century) and centers around a group of people whose job it is is to remove debris from orbit around the Earth, which is a very real potential problem.  

It's some of the hardest sci-fi I've seen; (I'd rank it somewhere between The Martian book and The Martian film), which is nice, but just being set in the near future makes it one of the only shows that I've ever seen which really have anything to say about the social and societal ramifications of the near future of space exploration, which is something I find fascinating.  (I'm currently reading the Red Mars trilogy which is scratching the same itch)

It's not perfect; the early episodes are a fairly self-contained and a bit hit-and-miss, and the tone of the series is a bit all over the place, even before the later episodes where Cerberus Syndrome kicks in: it does both comedy and drama well at times, but sometimes the shift between the two is jarring.  Also, some people really hate the main characters, particularly the main female lead in the early episodes where she has a tendency to shout her ideals at people.

But regardless of flaws there just aren't enough shows like this, so if you're a fan of harder sci-fi or near the future space age it's definitely worth checking out.