Anime?

Demosthenes

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No really, I'm confused by your usage. Is it that anything that has to do with fanservice, or creepy behavior, or just plain love and romance, is gross?

Fanservice and creepy behaviour. I mean, what usages did you not understand?

Shirayukihime was like the opposite of gross, I don't remember any fanservice, and the bad qualities of the first prince were addressed (he seemed to consider changing himself?) my other qualms were very minor, and I absolutely loved that he apologised and asked for consent after the first kiss, I just much preferred the idea that they'd stay friends (her appearing somewhat ace/aro, him being pretty bi/pan imo).

Engaged to the Unidentified wasn't really gross, from what I remember, it just fell for some obvious tropes. My qualms with GATE were just the naked elf and the somewhat creepy scenes with the child-like characters. Monster Musume is just straight up fanservice and gross I mean yeah I feel guilty just for watching it, so. Working! wasn't as bad as that, but it still was full of fanservice and creepy.

The Seven Deadly Sins is a great show, I finished last night and I really enjoyed it, tho mr Dragon/Wrath please stop being a creepy ancient-kid creep you pretty much single-handedly brought the gross to your show.

I'm gonna try Devil is a Part-Timer tonight as it was recommended by a friend.

EDIT: since then, I've watched Space Brothers, which was a lot of fun tho I can see why it ended it got a bit boring without any space stuff happening. Yesterday I watched Seirei no Moribito which was recommended because spearwoman and it lived up to that, there were a few cool aspects but other than that it was just good.

Watched the latest two eps of GATE and punching up the prince in the throneroom, I mean I guess it worked but XD

EDIT again: I just watched Overlord, it's a good yes liked it lots.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question: Anime/manga is something I want to get into. I have watched Ouran Highschool Host Club and Sword Art Online on recommendation, but am at a loss from where to go from there. Plus I want to read some of the comic books, but don't know where to start.

Any good starter shows/comics? PG-13 or lower rating, please.

I have a question: Anime/manga is something I want to get into. I have watched Ouran Highschool Host Club and Sword Art Online on recommendation, but am at a loss from where to go from there. Plus I want to read some of the comic books, but don't know where to start.

This is, if you're not aware, something like asking "Hey, I'm interested in books: I've read The Hunger Games and Lolita, where do I go from there?"  I'm not trying to disparage you for asking, just pointing out that the scope of the question is pretty massive.  

This chart is pretty good:

Vvh8EQs.png

Personally, my usual recommendations (things that are good, widespread appeal, not too "sketchy") are:

• Trigun - My personal favorite; a bit hard to describe, it's sort of a post-apocalyptic space western?  It starts off as comedy with a bit of drama, and shifts to be mostly drama with a bit of comedy.  It's fairly old (1998); but it's great.  Some of the themes remind me of some of Sanderson's books.
  • FullMetal Alchemist* - This one just feels like a good fantasy book.  I've always felt that the monologue at the beginning of each episode did a great job selling the show.  (It's what hooked me, at least)  
  • Steins;Gate - A bit newer than either of the above, Steins;Gate gets pretty goofy at times, and takes a bit to get going, but it's the best time-travel story I know of.  

*There's an evergoing debate whether to recommend the original 2003 version of FMA, or the newer remake ("Brotherhood"), which has the same beginning but goes in a different direction (follows the original manga).  My answer is that you should watch both eventually, but start with the original 2003 version

Edited by Retsam

I recommend Trigun, either Fullmetal Alchemist series( Brotherhood is more violent, but also better imo), Angel Beats, and Silver Spoon.

The first two are superb series that have cool action, excellent plots, and good characters.

The second two are high school comedies basically, but very good, very very funny, and quite likely to reduce you to tears.

Edit: currently I'm watching Ruruoni Kenshih. The dub/translation isn't very good on Netflix, but I'm enjoying it as kind of a historical version of Trigun.

Edited by ScottLeft

Oh oh oh!

Oh :mellow:

So I cant force you to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? <_<

Im more of a manga reader so most of my suggestions will be for the manga, if the anime then sucks dont blame me.

... you know what, I'll just recommend you some stuff I like, I havent watched anime or read manga in a long time, so my memory regarding a lot of these will be fuzzy, but I'll give you a content warning if I think it needs that and you can take it or leave it.

Well, ok, so Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is one of my favorite things, ever, it gets kinda cringe, horror movie violent though and it is weird, really weird. I love it.

Rurouni Kenshin is good. Read that.

Monster is a great thriller, but pretty dark.

Baccano! Watch Baccano. Baccano is good. I dont like Durarara as much, but you may as well watch that too.

Lucifer and the Buscuit Hammer, bad art, great story, I may have shed a single tear somewhere ("Die with me" "With pleasure")

Paranoia Agent is another of my favorites, but it may be too dark.

You want some movies, dont you? Of course you do. Watch some Studio Ghibli. Spirited Away is my favorite movie ever. Princess Mononoke and Howls Moving Castle are great too.

And from the same person who made Paranoia Agent you have Paprika, it is not as dark as Paranoia Agent, but if you ever wondered what Christopher Nolan was on when he came up with Inception... well...

paprika.jpg

Then you have the really popular stuff. Like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. They start good, but the latter two jumped the shark pretty good, I still like One Piece, but read it, the anime is crem.

And then I guess someone sometime is going to recommend you Death Note and Code Geass, Im not fond of either, but I sure used to be. They used to be popular starting points, so maybe you will like them, I dont know.

And I seem to be the only person in the entire world who does not like Full Metal Alchemist, so you will probably love it too. rantrantrantrant

I would add that I find reading manga online incredibly painful. I either buy it or try and get it through my library. I would recommend you try both, see what you prefer.

For manga, DEFINITElY Death Note. I really disliked the anime, but it's manga is very very good. Kekkaishi is an excellent, if long series. Be warned, this might seem odd, but I've found fanservice to be worse in manga than anime. This might just be me, but it feels like it's more even more pervasive in manga.

The chart is wrong. Naruto is finished as of now... But I'd recommend watching only the first series, but if you watch it, the hook would be to strong not to watch Shippuuden, and that's fine. Shippuuden is good up to, let's say, maybe 214.
At no point bother watching the fillers. Just don't.

About Death Note anime vs. manga... Anime has awesome music. Really awesome. BTW, if you want PG-13 rating or lower, Death Note tackles on some moral ambiguity stuff... and at some point poeple start rioting for the mass murderer (I did, for example).

For strictly PG-13 try Avatar:The Last Airbender and then Avatar: Legend of Korra. Both are awesome, but I watched ATLA when I was 17 and sometimes it felt immature; but on the other hand, character growth is strong with this one and at the end it was 100% awesome.

Naruto is also PG-13 friendly... sort of.

Bleach had plot for about two arcs, then I read it only because of inertion and for the good art and fights. After these two arcs, plot is nonexistant almost up to two final arcs. So be warned.

I'd recommend also Psyren, it's finished and it was good, but the ending was average because Psyren was canceled. I'd also recommend Ao No Exorcist, but it has few chapters and they're released monthly.

You should probably try Shaman King, both anime and manga (they start similar, but differ very much later on)

Since no one has mentioned it, I recommend my favorite anime "movie": 5 Centimeters Per Second. It's three 20-minute long sections that make one compact, 1-hour movie (you should watch all three back-to-back). It's a work of art, so if you're wanting action go elsewhere, but if you're looking for an anime that just might change your outlook on life, definitely recommend. And even if you don't like it, it was only an hour of your time.

Hmm, PG-13 or lower. That's a bit tough for me, I tend to watch more mature anime. I began with Attack on Titan and Death Note (Attack on Titan is probably above PG-13). I loved them both at the time, but now that I've seen more, they are only average at best IMO. I do think that Death Note is a decent anime to start on, and it deals with some interesting themes, but there are better ones out there. Code Geass, despite being a bit overrated, is still probably one of my favorites of all time. If you want a shorter anime, I cannot recommend Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance) enough. It tackles heavy themes, leaves you on the edge of your seat, and it's only eleven episodes long. 

I've also considered starting Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, since Morzathoth speaks so highly of it. 

Edited by Patar365

I am a rabid fangirl when it comes to JJBA. My opinion may not be exactly unbiased XD But do give it a chance. Just watch it. I think it is better to go in blind.

Eldritch Adbomination gender confirmed? :ph34r:

As for JoJo I would second the recomidation. An added disclaimer however, the first part shows its age (it's still good though), so you should definetly watch until part 2 starts before making any decisions against it.

Eldritch Adbomination gender confirmed? :ph34r:

As for JoJo I would second the recomidation. An added disclaimer however, the first part shows its age (it's still good though), so you should definetly watch until part 2 starts before making any decisions against it.

:ph34r: There is a saying on the internet that there are no fanboys, only fangirls in boy form (But cruder than that, obviously)

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of Groundhogs Day, I watched the Steins;Gate movie (Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu) last night. (Because, obviously, I celebrate the holiday in which a rodent looks for its shadow in order to predict the weather by watching movies about time travel.)

I'm a huge fan of the original series and I'd argue that the movie succeeds, largely on the strength of the characters from the original series. It's pretty strong on characters, and much less strong, say, on being a story about time travel. So, if you watched Steins;Gate and weren't particularly attached to the characters, you should probably give this one a pass. If you didn't watch the series, don't even consider watching this. (Also, go fix that ^_^ )

It's not that the plot is bad, per se. I'd argue the explanation for the main premise for this one doesn't make a ton of sense in the context of the series' established mechanics, though, "doesn't make sense" by the standards of Steins;Gate is leagues better than most time travel stories. And if it doesn't work perfectly mechanically, it works quite well dramatically and serves as a vehicle for some solid character moments.

If anything, the film's plot is simply too ambitious; it attempts to tell a story on similar scale as the original series, but a movie doesn't really have enough time for that. Usually when you have too much plot for a movie, you end up with a film that just consists of plot points strung one after another without time to breathe, but oddly, this one is the opposite: it retains the emotional skeleton of the plot, but with the connective tissue that should take us from one dramatic moment to another largely missing.

There's definitely things to criticize, but at the end of the day, it's still more Steins;Gate: what more can you ask for?

... oh, yeah, an English release. You can definitely ask for that. It's not been released in NA at all as far as I can tell, and as a dub fan, it took some getting used to the sub here. For the most part it's not that the Japanese version is bad - though I missed J Michael Tatum's Okabe, and really didn't like Daru's voice; (honestly the only thing I can compare it to is that at times he sounded like Tristan's voice in Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged) - it was just a something I had to get used to.

---

From this season, Boku Dake ga inai Machi (lit. "The Town Without Me"; the English title is ERASED) is really good so far. It's also, actually, a time travel story; instead of a time machine, the main character has an unexplained ability where, when something bad is about to happen around him, he involuntarily mentally time travels back a couple minutes and has the opportunity to prevent it. At the end of the first episode, though, something bad happens and he travels back 18 years to when he was ten years old, in order to change the future.

(The similarities between this and Steins;Gate are half of why I was reminded to watch the Steins;Gate movie)

It's only 4 episodes in, and it's been great so far. If you're the sort who doesn't mind watching things as they come out, this is definitely one to look at.

Also, I love

; it's an song by Asian Kung Fu Generation that I've been a fan of for years... AKFG being the first time I really had any interest in a band, when I realized that my favorite openings from
, Naruto, and Bleach were all by the same band. Edited by Retsam

I can see why people like One Punch Man..*.but they're wrong.*

you little devil I like you

(emphasis mine, it was written in white font)

EDIT: also, One Piece seems under appreciated. The manga is one of the best I've read, but the animation is a bit funky, and that's why I recommend the manga until at least the time skip.

Edited by Onceler

So one of my friends has been recomending some animes to me and im a bit interested. Basically were do all of you watch animes on the internet?

I rely on Netflix. There's a nice site called Daisuke that's pretty friendly and free. Then there's CrunchyRoll and the anime publishers themselves, but unless you want a ton of ads, they cost money.

Then there's obviously quasi legal sites that have tons for free, but I don't recommend them since most really are piratical.

So the only anime this season that I find enjoyable is (was) Boku dake ga inai machi.  I was interested, so I decided to read the manga to spoil myself the anime. I also heard that at some point the plot turns ridiculous. And that is correct. It is incredibly predictable and ridiculous. Maybe I just read too many books, so I can no longer be surprised, but still. I am disappointed. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider