Anime?

Demosthenes

Maybe not an anime (anime in movie form), but I'm re-watching certain Pokemon movies and I must say, while most are lackluster, certain ones stand out, these including Arceus and the Jewel of Life, The Rise of Darkrai, and Mewtwo vs Mew. I think that the Darkrai movie is one of my favorite animated movies of all time.

I just finished watching SAO. I have to say that the first arc is by far the best out of the two seasons. I agree with the assessment that the second ALO arc was a bit forced, but I didn't mind the Asuna/Kirito relationship as much as others seem to, especially when they were still in Aincrad. 

SAO II was not nearly as good as the first season because it seems the show is just recycling ideas. While the GGO arc was entertaining, I felt like we didn't spend enough time getting to know the world. I could have done without the Calibur side story, which to me just screamed of a filler episode. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the Mother's Rosario side story, but I ended loving how emotional it was and how it truly touched Asuna. She was very human and relatable in these episodes. 

I'm now on the hunt for my next show to watch. I started watching Mushi-shi Zoku Shou, and I love how beautiful and touching it is. It reminds me so much of the first season but with less major emphasis on the mushi themselves (granted I've only watched two episodes so far). It's such a great series and I really enjoy that it's not serialized so that I can watch an episode here or there when I need a break from something more fast paced.

After seeing that Peter enjoyed My Love Story, that may be my next series to watch on the Crunchyroll Roku app, unless Scott you think I should watch Samurai Flamenco?

I just finished it, and I think that at least watching the first arc would be a good idea. There's 22 episodes and about four different story arcs, although the lines between them are fuzzy. The first arc is the longest I think, but also in a way the best, so if you feel like it, it'd be a good choice. If you like it, watch more, if not then you're probably better off moving on.

How is the anime "One Punch Man" ?

I saw first episode, and it was nice. The concept is quite interesting, though I wonder how will the story progress ?

I really loved the concept, but actually haven't watched past the pilot either hahaha. It was just so funny hehe

Classroom Crisis. It's an interesting idea—a class full of high school engineering students, on Mars, and the corporate scion who is trying to shut them down. We liked the first few episodes, but then there was a beach episode that we put off watching for a while, because fanservice gets annoying. We finally watched it and it wasn't that bad.

Last night we saw episode 10, and wow, a lot of stuff happened. Makes you rethink the whole show. So, we're glad we didn't stop watching. 

The Mars stuff is mostly window dressing. The gravity doesn't seem to be any different from Earth's. Oh well.

Food Wars. I have one episode left. I really like the manga, but the fanservice in the anime is just so much worse than the manga. In the manga it's a panel here and there. In the anime there is so much bouncing and jiggling. Seriously, this is a cooking show, and they thought that no one would watch it without bouncy bouncy jiggle jiggle, or something. The plot is great, but the fanservice makes it very hard to watch.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Someone's probably said it now but just so the message gets across, ONE PIECE. But if you're an anime watcher you probably should read the manga until an arc or two before the timeskip, cause animation is 1/10 of what it will be later on at the beginning. Also One Punch Man is hilarious and probably best animated fight anime out there.

This probably isn't the best one to start out with, but the A Certain Magical/Scientific anime/manga series are enjoyable.

Edited by Once-ler

Yeah, the fanservice aspect got a bit annoying with Railgun—though Index certainly isn't a paragon of virtue in that regard either. But ignoring that (at some point in such shows where quality outweighs the negatives of fanservice I just have to go "it's anime" and move on  -_-) I like Railgun quite a bit more than Index.

Edited by Kurkistan

To be totally honest I didn't get around to finishing either, so I wouldn't be able to judge. I just remember Railgun's a lot more :/

But yeah. I don't know when it happened, but I've suddenly become way more frustrated with fanservice. Before it just existed and I barely noticed, but somewhere along the lines it started to really irritated me. So Railgun had the misfortune of also happening in the middle of that. Maybe I'll give it another watch during the vacation.

Just started watching Assassination Classroom, and I find it really enjoyable so far! The whole concept is pretty funny I think, and the characters, despite not having much development yet, are really enjoyable. 

Edited by Patar365

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the season of Food Wars. Like always, I love the show and hate the fanservice. I hope it gets toned down if they do another season, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least I still have the manga to read in my Viz Shonen Jump subscription. It's certainly my top series that's currently running. This week's chapter was very satisfying.

I also watched episodes 2 through 4 of Golden Time, after having watched the first one over a year ago, maybe even closer to two years. This is a series about a college kid (who lost all his memory and changed his personality in an accident after high school) who is interested in the girl who swears she is going to marry his roommate. One of the episodes was a rather original one where the club they are recruited to turns out to be a cult. I really enjoyed that one.

We have watched maybe 4 episodes of Ushio and Tora, but I'm not enthusiastic about it. I am getting quite tired of "defeating Japanese mythological monsters that are really gross" shows.

This season, the only show we are keeping up with on Crunchyroll is Haikyuu. Is there any other current Crunchyroll show that you think is great stuff?

I started reading manga again this time. I started with Yamada kun and the 7 witches. It is nice, and like all anime, it has its share of fan-service.

But, Horimiya is the best manga I've read. The romance is quite normal, as compared to other manga. And, I like Kyouko Hori's character.

Regarding anime, it is still OnePunch Man. The show is nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the holidays watching like 1 or 2 (13 ep) seasons a day, after watching a playthru of Tales of the Abyss

• Akagami no Shirayukihime - I really enjoyed it, tho was slightly disappointed that it turned into a love story after the kiss. It was one of the least gross animes I've ever watched in this regard. There was ever-slightly too much of him rescuing her even after she'd proved she was competent in looking after herself, and her 'romantic awakening' after the kiss was like *facepalm*. Now if in the second season she realises it's not really love just confusion then maybe? but ... anyway. it's a REALLY progressive anime other than these two points. 
  • A Letter to Momo - lovely lovely lovely and saddddddd
  • Engaged to the Unidentified - pretty standard, kinda gross fanservice as usual. it's pretty much the same as most other 'secretly supernatural beings' love stories
  • GATE - AWESOME really looking forward to the next part, it's got a bit of gross but the story well makes up for it. I came away from it wanting more depth to everything, same as with Shirayukihime, yessss.
  • Hikaru no Go - good stuff good stuff good stuff
  • Monster Musume - stupidly kinda fun but also rather gross EDIT: very gross
  • One-Punch Man - gooofy as heck, dang yeah I enjoyed this and will probably watch the next if not follow it when it releases, though there's no where near enough ladies?
  • Plastic Memories - I watched the first ep and was destroyed, in tears thruout, daaanng the concept had me hooked and I was in deep. ;... then it turned into standard really shallow love story and was highly disappointed
  • Sound! Euphonium - sports-anime but with band, kinda cute but nothing really special
  • The World is Still Beautiful - no where near as progressive as Shirayukihime, aka back to normal anime junk. but the weather magics was an interesting addition, if kinda only shallowly explored. the singing was kinda lame too XD the only spot that got me was the grandmother singing goodbye, that song actually causing the wind to push them away that was the cry thing and yeah I love that idea that you'd sing a lament to someone leaving which actively helped them on their way, made me saddd.
  • Working! - hilarious but pretty dang gross, and nothing to write home about... I was kinda appreciative that it wasn't totally ultimate gross in some of the gross tropes that it used??

I'm currently watching The Seven Deadly Sins and yeah that's pretty gross too but the story has me gripped. Probably finish off that soonish (though I'm back at work so ?). Also keeping up with Haikyuu!! and dang is it as hilarious as ever dannng I love it XD. 

I watched most of Aoharu x Kikanjuu and was like 'ok this is gonna be Ouran HSHC but with guns??' and it wasn't, and then Mr Gross and the whole hiding behind the crossdressing is just a nOOPE and I stalled at ep 9 because why watched the last 4 eps?

I tried Owarimonogatari but the horror feel and the weird repetitive dialogue threw me before I'd got much into ep 1..

I finished Fate/Stay Night unlimited Blade Works. Meh

It just can't hold a candle to Fate/Zero in my opinion. Excepting Gilgsmesh, all the villains were creeps and or shallow feeling, which I didn't like. As for big G...ehhh, I guess his character got a bit deeper from Zero, but his appearance felt forced. I'm also not sure I like the resolution.

The biggest problem was that it felt like EVERYTHING was an exception to some rule somewhere. Zero was amazing because the rules that were made in the beginning were mostly obeyed, much like Sanderson. I never felt that way in Night, and it really bothered me.

I spent the holidays watching like 1 or 2 (13 ep) seasons a day, after watching a playthru of Tales of the Abyss

Tales of the Abyss actually has the best anime out of all the Tales games (Symphonia's OVA, Vesperia's prequel, etc.), and it's really well done. If you ever feel like revisiting the story of the game, I highly recommend that instead of watching another play through.

I finished Fate/Stay Night unlimited Blade Works. Meh

It just can't hold a candle to Fate/Zero in my opinion. Excepting Gilgsmesh, all the villains were creeps and or shallow feeling, which I didn't like. As for big G...ehhh, I guess his character got a bit deeper from Zero, but his appearance felt forced. I'm also not sure I like the resolution.

The biggest problem was that it felt like EVERYTHING was an exception to some rule somewhere. Zero was amazing because the rules that were made in the beginning were mostly obeyed, much like Sanderson. I never felt that way in Night, and it really bothered me.

All three Fate/Stay Night stories feature a ton of rule breaking. It's an odd design decision, to explain in great detail the rules of this "game," but then proceed to break over half of them. Zero was the Holy Grail War done right, with minimal rule breaking and maximum strategic outmaneuvering. It's actually a wonder as to why this is never really mentioned more among the fan base, people just accept it an move on.