• 3 months later...

so are we going to talk about F-Duralumin?

Question: Can you use Connection to Connect yourself to people so they can understand you, or do you just Connect to the land?

And is the "language" that's connected to Roshar's land the languages the people speak, or is it the rhythms?

And when you Connect yourself to the land, does it change your writing language too?

Edited by Tani

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 4:45 PM, Gneorndin said:

Question: Can you use Connection to Connect yourself to people so they can understand you, or do you just Connect to the land?

According to the Ars Arcanum in BoM:

Connecter Ferrings can store spiritual connection in a duralumin metalmind, reducing other people's awareness and friendship with them during active storage, and can tap it at a later time in order to speedily form trust relationships with others.

This sentence makes me think that your idea could theoretically work. I'm not sure if there are any WoB disproves it though.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:45 PM, Gneorndin said:

And is the "language" that's connected to Roshar's land the languages the people speak, or is it the rhythms?

And when you Connect yourself to the land, does it change your writing language too?

I think a connecter would connect to the languages people speak, though they may be able to kind of here the rhythms, maybe? IIRC the rhythms in Roshar that the singers hear have to do with their connection to the planet, so there might be a way to be able to "hear" them with f-duralumin, but I'm not sure.

I have no idea if connection would be able to change you writing language too... Given that many worldhoppers use some type of connection to communicate with people, it might be able to help you with writing too. Or maybe they are just taking the time to learn the different scripts and alphabets.

• 1 year later...

Do we know if you can store individual connection in separate metal minds (like different senses in tin) or is it always just storing/tapping connection to the general land?

I imagine it becomes far more useful than just Google  translate if you can store/tap individual connections (like store connection to gravity to simulate storing iron). I realize the in world knowledge may be limited on the subject

• 2 months later...

Ah... I think I might check out this cultclub. I'm still sort of unsure, hovering around F-Zinc, F-Steel, and F-Duralumin. I did make a post (I think on the Mistborn forum) recently trying to start a conversation about combat uses for F-Duralumin. Like, could you use it to detach yourself from emotional connections in a battle so you fight better? What consequences would that have (such as losing your connection with your affiliation with one side of the fight)?

• 6 months later...

I'm not currently a member of this guild (don't even know how to join, actually) but I'm a big fan of Feruchemical duralumin. It's one of my favorite Invested powers in the Cosmere- only Feruchemical chromium truly rivals it in my opinion for mysteriousness and theoretical application for someone who knows what they are doing (okay, well, Hemalurgy may be cooler in my opinion, but my name kind of gives that away :D).

On 8/8/2022 at 11:30 AM, Kelkamer said:

Do we know if you can store individual connection in separate metal minds (like different senses in tin) or is it always just storing/tapping connection to the general land?

This is indeed possible- you can store different types of Connections (or at least the ability to form them- it's not understood well right now), similar to Feruchemical tin.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/50/#e643

Dirigible

Can you store different types of Connection at different times? Like can you store Connection to people versus location?

Brandon Sanderson

That is possible.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/50/#e645

Dirigible

Can you store any sort of Temporal Connection?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, most.

And then there is a quote from the Stormfather regarding certain types of Connections. RoW spoilers:

Spoiler

"You see the Connections all people have: to others, to Spren, to time and reality itself. Everything is Connected, Dalinar, by a vast web of interactions, passions, thoughts, fates." RoW chapter 66.

This makes me wonder if those kinds of Connections could be stored as well, which may give this power far more importance than it has previously recieved.

I'll probably be making another post soon on the nature of Feruchemical duralmumin, but I'll put it in the Mistborn discussion forum since it will have more spoiler related content.

Edited by Trusk'our

On 3/26/2021 at 0:45 PM, Quirksliver said:

I would say yes to the first based on the friendships thing.

I believe at some point Allik explains in more detail that it makes it like you've lived in the country for a while, but he has an accent because he still knows he was born and raised in X place. That means it would let you speak or write in the local language (so long as you're the type to become literate in languages you speak; Lift wouldn't be able to write in any language no matter how much Connection she managed to tap). Given that Navani has trouble hearing the tones of the lights, I imagine a human visitor to Roshar who tapped Connection would be very unlikely to hear the Rhythms. It's possible that a compounder could, though, especially one who specifically reached out and Connected to a Listener, as Dalinar does to the Azish. I'm not sure if that's even possible to manipulate though; the medallions might specifically be made to Connect to a land, not a person. A normal duralumin Ferring probably could, but a medallion user probably not IMO. It seems to work a lot like soul stamps.

Also, to clarify in response to "does it change your writing language too?" it does not keep you from speaking/writing in your own language, you just have to have the specific Intent to speak in the language you were raised in. This is confirmed by the last few demo chapters (so chapter 11 and 12 IIRC) of Secret Project Four. A single Malwish visiting the north could use a translation medallion and tell a bunch of other Malwish in the group what the northerners are saying, because they can understand northerner speech while speaking Malwish. What I'm curious about is under which circumstances a Malwish's medallion might allow them to understand High Imperial (Spook's eastern street slang) since it's treated something like Latin; most northerners can't understand it. Would a scholarly Malwish be able to understand it while a barely literate Malwish wouldn't?

Edit: Ooh, what about technical languages? Could you store Connection to your field of expertise and then tap it for something else? Like say you're a scholar of chemistry, could you store that and then tap it as scholarship in mechanical engineering? That might make it even more useful in scholarly ways than F-Copper.

Edited by Jn819
extra thought