GM Signups & Discussion Thread

Elbereth

Double-posting with pure Village dgaf here:

With the QF finished, here is the MR list. This is being posted a bit earlier so you can make plans e.g. if you plan to play in Ash's upcoming LG, or if you need to get a ruleset approved rather than at the last minute >>

MR List:

I normally wouldn't tag so many players, but Szeth hasn't been heard from in a while, Fifth told me yesterday he was busy, Mat would be running a QF-BT-MR back-to-back, Tani passed up the BT list, Karn also hasn't been heard from in a while, and Ash mentioned he has no aspirations to run a LG and MR near-simultaneously.

TUN has first shot, if not, if the others don't get back in a week, I'm probably prepared to run the MR.

Edited by Kasimir

4 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

I can run it if you don't want to. Would be moving my Roshar game up a slot since that slot doesn't have a game. I'll leave it up to you really.

I'm good to run if you prefer not to - my Star Wars MR and Nalthis MR are both more or less ready, depending on player preference.

I could run a game, either now or after you! :) I have some really great setups I have run elsewhere that I would love to share with you all.

How many players approximately for the game size? Also should it be themed as a brandon sanderson book or can it be anything? :)

Edited by shadow1

1 hour ago, shadow1 said:

I could run a game, either now or after you! :) I have some really great setups I have run elsewhere that I would love to share with you all.

How many players approximately for the game size? Also should it be themed as a brandon sanderson book or can it be anything? :)

When it comes time, I would say check the game run immediately prior to see how many players to expect. Right now you probably want to plan for 12-15, though complicated rules will probably drop that a bit, and a compelling theme will probably attract a couple of extra players.

The current rule is that you can run a non-Sanderson game if one hasn't been run in the last 5 games of that type. Since Kas is running a Star Wars game right now, you will probably come up before the 5 games happen again, so plan for a Sanderson theme. In general, all of our games have theme of some kind, though it's generally weaker in a QF (Tani ran a game that was just people playing cards in the Warcamps). And non-Sanderson games typically are only run when the GM has a setting from elsewhere that they are really attached to.

If you want to pitch some un-themed rules and ask for suggestions about a Cosmere theme, I'm sure plenty of folks would be willing to help out with ideas as well.

If you have a non-Sanderson theme you really like, you will also have a chance to win a pass for a game during our Anniversary Game (I'm pretty sure this will be a thing), which should run toward the end of the year.

41 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

If you want to pitch some un-themed rules and ask for suggestions about a Cosmere theme, I'm sure plenty of folks would be willing to help out with ideas as well.

That being said, in general, I would argue that reskinning to a Cosmere theme is probably much easier than working out a new ruleset.

Unless you are especially trying to capture something unique about a setting in a non-Sanderson game (IMO, I'd argue that's really what the best non-Sanderson games do), you are probably fine just reskinning.

My Star Wars MR is a case in point - this could theoretically be a Cosmere MR and it's actually a rerun of a game that was a Windrunners versus Skybreakers MR.

8 hours ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Hey just fyi: I'll be available to run a game during Christmas and New Years' weeks, but not before that. I'm currently in the midst of NaNoWriMo and idk how reliable I'll be with school.

Would you like me to mark you busy, and then you ping me again when you're clear to run so I return you to the active roster? This wouldn't affect your slot priority for when you are free to run a game - just tells people not to ping you for GMing prior to that.

Just now, Kasimir said:

Would you like me to mark you busy, and then you ping me again when you're clear to run so I return you to the active roster? This wouldn't affect your slot priority for when you are free to run a game - just tells people not to ping you for GMing prior to that.

I'd still like to be notified in case something changes. Thanks though :P

I'd like to sign up for a break tank, based around the idea of getting to choose your own roles. I'm thinking probably a radiant game where you progress as you say oaths for a sanderson game though my mind wants to do a BTD tier game. Basic idea is that you get one of two orders, some being more rare than others, to choose from. And as you progress far enough in your oaths, by surviving and maybe RPing.