Elbereth

Anniversary Game 7/Anonymous Game 9: From Embers, A Flame

1,223 posts in this topic

As much as I find it distasteful, in the interests of accuracy, I'll add that in UK editions, "Honor" is used to refer to the shard. This appears to be a deliberate (if grating) choice. Minor spoilers for WoR:

Spoiler

At the end of chapter 56:

"What has happened to us?" Dalinar asked. "What has happened to our honour?"

"Honor is dead," a voice whispered from beside him.

1 minute ago, Turquoise Gorilla said:

As much as I find it distasteful, in the interests of accuracy, I'll add that in UK editions, "Honor" is used to refer to the shard. This appears to be a deliberate (if grating) choice. Minor spoilers for WoR:

Reveal hidden contents

At the end of chapter 56:

"What has happened to us?" Dalinar asked. "What has happened to our honour?"

"Honor is dead," a voice whispered from beside him.

Huh. Fascinating stuff

4 minutes ago, Turquoise Gorilla said:

As much as I find it distasteful, in the interests of accuracy, I'll add that in UK editions, "Honor" is used to refer to the shard. This appears to be a deliberate (if grating) choice.

[OOC: I agree that it's grating for sure. Nice to see someone else finds it that way too :ph34r:]

6 minutes ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

Ngl it took me having to consciously force my brain to stop and read each individual word before I understood a word of what that said. The tldr was appreciated greatly :P many thanks!

[OOC: The downside of not having taught in a while is that I don't reflexively pitch at the ideal undergrad level anymore, and also that I wasn't sure I wanted to spend half an hour or more fine-tuning this :P ]

Edited by Azure Mouse

Here, let's get something going again.

What is the general view of Gecko putting Chameleon in their village reads? At the time of Gecko's post Chameleon had posted exactly zero times and the read was labled as 'gut again'.

7 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

Here, let's get something going again.

What is the general view of Gecko putting Chameleon in their village reads? At the time of Gecko's post Chameleon had posted exactly zero times and the read was labled as 'gut again'.

[OOC: Personally - preparation for pocketing. We know Gecko picked up Crocodile's spanreed N1 on Sel and Crocodile's spanreed connected to Chameleon. But this is just a guess. I feel like the IKYK is a bit strong with this one.]

2 minutes ago, Chartreuse Penguin said:

Here, let's get Gecko

????

[OOC: Dropping this here just in case I'm dead by daylight.

Spoiler

Shadesmar Eight+

Non-Shard

Basis

Connections

Certainty

Amethyst Scorpion

NO

Scan, Claim, Offer, Investment (x2)

Azure Mouse, Ivory Dragonfly

MODERATE*

Azure Mouse

YES

Investee (x3)

Turquoise Gorilla, Opal Lion

STRONG

Charcoal Hyena

NO

Claim

Turquoise Gorilla, Saffron Iguana

STRONG

Ivory Dragonfly

NO

Scan (x2), Claim, Investment, Investee

Azure Mouse, Amethyst Scorpion, Opal Lion

STRONG

Melon Dingo

NO

Claim, Mechanics

NONE

STRONG

Plum Rhinoceros

YES

Scan

Ivory Dragonfly

MODERATE

Saffron Iguana

NO

Claim

Sage Kangaroo, Melon Dingo, Opal Lion

MODERATE*

Turquoise Gorilla

NO

Claim, Investment

Azure Mouse, Ivory Dragonfly

STRONG

Violet Axolotl

YES

Investee (x2)

Onyx Flamingo, Azure Mouse

STRONG

To be updated tomorrow morning, and some information has been elided because of role sensitivity etcetera. As a quick explanation: certainty denotes how strong the evidence for Shardic/non-Shardic status is. Connections indicates that information has at some point involved these individuals, or that they are known to communicate with these individuals. If the person is discovered to be the N2 killer, look at these chaps in your analysis.

Finally, I think the most clear culprit is Rhino - suss Beagle vote, came down hard on Opal Lion D2 to stop unshattering, distancing vote from Gecko. Good night,

Day 4 - Bumbwebee's Cwevew Weeting

nW_BwUhQCInjS6r8MMB_49GCpx7vCpMiamsQxS_m

0xXbtfLZussjofnPnlFmKJvNzPv1PKNOZF9udMtd

-SvTWOMYHVYu5ELjfFTdAJy4SeDM7fplXuXPoaij

MgbBc_fI-KVYP70XHlKfRY0piVdfhTQN3Hqd5JRz

RCR3fAa5Q1FTG9CpGt0AivL8YR0Nx4wavBV7XP9t

XhlpvfOY2EOzQS6HrZmwY9ck3VUf_Jx3182Se1Mx

Chartreuse Penguin was killed. They were a 17th Sharder on the Children of Adonalsium

Someone was attacked and survived.

Ashyn was blown up!

IMPORTANT CHANGE: Due to some minor issues with balance, we debated between releasing Odium or locking Honor down to the Rosharan system. We have decided on the former, due to the worldhopping orders locked in place after the night ended, and that it therefore wouldn't be far to send Honor to the Rosharan system. Therefore, Odium is now released and can attack any player.

This day will end on Monday, 11 Jan at 9 am MST.

Player List
1. Amber Vulture -  (Creative Cook)
2. Amethyst Scorpion - Mort (Deathspren)
3. Azure Mouse - Tenth of the Dusk/Kaikoa (Bounty Hunter)
4. Charcoal Hyena - Soren (Hobbyist (Poet))
5. Chartreuse Penguin -  (Bumblebee) 17th Sharder
6. Coral Swan - Enoras (Prophetic)
7. Cream Tuatara -  (Prophetic)
8. Fuchsia Ostrich - Konion (Unlucky orphan)
9. Indigo Weasel - Iadhain 'the Weasel' Ramer (Kleptomaniac )
10. Ivory Dragonfly - Eris (Decisive)
11. Magenta Albatross - Relas (Distracted)
12. Mauve Crocodile - Siena Ashao (Unlucky)Forger
13. Melon Dingo - Niru Drash (Insane-Egomaniac-Scholar)
14. Mint Heron - Nihalin (Hobbyist)Original Prudence
15. Onyx Flamingo -  (Excitable)
16. Opal Lion - Remy (Hobbyist)
17. Oxblood Beagle - Lady Orchid  (Gossip)Endowment
18. Pearl Chameleon -  (Compulsive Gambler)
19. Plum Rhinoceros - Solemnheart (Returned-Amnesiac-Scholar)
20. Quartz Zebra - Sophos (Bad Stormwarden)
21. Saffron Iguana - Vatorr Maj (Tinker)
22. Sage Kangaroo - Arleoxtai Ashvtet (Gossip)
23. Sapphire Elephant - Al (Drunk)
24. Scarlet Octopus -  ()
25. Taupe Gecko - Aurora (Bad Human)Elantrian
26. Turquoise Gorilla -  ()
27. Violet Axolotl - Sir Brockett (Elderly)

2 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Odium is now released and can attack any player.

Spoiler

22c3941a93a3578b56b4a5a539b5a4f8.jpg

In a small crevasse in the chasms of the Shattered Plains, Tenth of the Dusk thought he heard a voice. A hateful laugh, on the wind. A great evil set loose upon the world. Upon worlds.

He sat there, listening to the sound of the pouring rain. Cleaning his crossbow. Honing his knife.

They'd killed him. The one known as Penguin. Tenth and Penguin had shared many long conversations. They had been interesting ones, too. They'd talked not on the game of Shards and conspiracy but on Rose Empire noodles, and what could be eaten raw. On philosophy. On games. It had been nice, talking. Especially when Tenth had been so lonely on Roshar.

They'd killed him though. Mercilessly.

Honing his knife, listening to the sound of the falling rain, Tenth swore to avenge the fallen.

Light bloomed, a small mote. Like a flower. Like a promise.

Kaikoa chirped, and pecked at his ear.

Rain.

SEVENTEENTH SHARDER: You start with one asset, a contact you may use to study a target of your choice. This contact will give you intel, helping you discover the level of investiture your target has. Results will be one of these three:  Normal Investiture (uninvested Worldhopper or Odium’s Champion), High Investiture (invested Worldhopper or Odium’s Champion, minor role), Deific Investiture (Shard). Items do not affect investiture level. If a person has multiple roles, you will learn the investiture level of their most powerful role. After sending your asset in, they will be compromised and unable to help you study any other targets. (Shadesmar)

I'm unsure if this contact is an actual player or a GM NPC. Either way, would anyone like to publicize useful things they learned from Penguin now that we know how they have flipped? I never had the opportunity to speak to them.

Edited by Saffron Iguana
Also I'm still tinkering with stuff. The tinkering is implied

3 minutes ago, Saffron Iguana said:

I'm unsure if this contact is an actual player or a GM NPC. Either way, would anyone like to publicize useful things they learned from Penguin now that we know how they have flipped? I never had the opportunity to speak to them.

I think 'contact' is just a flavor for 17th Sharder. Their action would just tell them Investiture levels.

I didn't learn anything from our PM, though it was fun...

[ignore this: someone posted with the wrong account]

Edited by Saffron Iguana

I'll plop a vote on Rhino. Reasons being from previous cycles, though I could probably explain again if it's asked.

We should also discuss a runner-up in case of Mercy.

The poet stood upon the stage,
Chanting words. "Behold the Rage
"Of the Father of Hate! 
"He cannot sate
"His hunger for our golden age

"Of light and laughter to be found.
"He is free, no longer bound!
"Fear the end!
"Take care, my friends.
"He hunts, relentless as the bloodied hound."

The poet quaffed a glass of wine
And smiled, as though all was fine.
"We're going to die.
"The end is nigh.
"The Voice of God now has a Shrine."

"Despite our best efforts, the Voice has freed our foe. The end is nigh.
"Do not deny it, it simply is true. This we know: The end is nigh.

"We dance in the darkness and strive for the light, but hope fades fast.
"The night draws closer and swallows us, whispering as it goes, 'The end is nigh.'

"We fight back with swords made of paper and shields of foam, praying to be ignored,
"But even with the knives we craft, the enemy won long ago. The end is nigh.

"The gleaming gold doth tempt the fools who long for easy treasure.
"For those who falter and fail, misfortune shows the end is nigh.

"You flee with wind beneath your wings, with divinity on your side, and it seems you cannot fail now.
"Even with the grace of Gods, the monster comes near. You were too slow. The end is nigh."

The poet's cries fall upon deaf ears. No one wants to believe the finale draws near.
Despite their disbelief, the monsters come and so it goes. The end is nigh.

On the Mouse's analysis,
I'll put a vote on Plum Rhinoceros.
I trust the Mouse's knowledge,
Since if they were bad, we'd all be dead.
They know too much to be a Servant of Hate,
So I'll trust them and their points as of late

Fuschia Ostrich

So I'm generally not a fan of anything Ostrich has said? not like- hey! I don't think it's bad! no, just a lot of it doesn't sit right with me. 

The biggest thing I don't feel good about is them Starting the counter train on Beagle and what came after that. They placed their vote on Beagle at a time when the main, talked about target, had been gecko. 

Then, throughout the day, they repeatedly say that they don't want to say what planet they're on, as they don't want the OCs to be able to figure out who Autonomy is, which, in this case doesn't quite make that much sense? as if Beagle was of Odium, it hurts no one to tell the whole thread what planet you're on. 

I mean, their whole reasoning was "if this is odious, we don't want it, and if it's not odious, then it's okay i guess but still not good" and they basically gave reasoning that would still....leave them okay? if Beagle flipped Village, which they did, and then Ostrich said:

I'm sorry Oxblood, I was worried you would be on my side, but I couldn't risk Autonomy. 

Which if this is good reasoning, we might have as well just killed you :P. trying to get rid of the only other person who could know Autonomy's identity at the time? :P. 

They also weirdly mentioned that they weren't going to vote at all which I of course don't want to get into that discussion but Them not wanting to vote D1 or 2 is ????????

Tenth of the Dusk felt his reasons hadn't changed. 

Information from the Ruin of Shadesmar, pertaining to the Shadesmar Eight and Sir Brockett [OOC: Violet Axolotl] clearly stated that the only possible killers of Odium that night could have been Sir Brockett, himself, and the strange worldhopper known as Solemnheart [OOC: Plum Rhinoceros.] Sir Brockett had claimed to have been invested in by the Shard Preservation; moreover, a representative of Preservation had stood up to confirm this by accusing Sir Brockett of the attempted kill that night. Tenth himself had made no secret of the fact he was not a Shard, and another had provided him a scan on Solemmheart that had identified Solemnheart as also not being a Shard. [OOC: Investiture scan on Rhino shows Rhino is not a Shard either. I am not a Shard and thus must be included in the set of roleblocked non-Shards.]

First, they had to establish the pool of likely suspects. It was known that Odium's power could only be channeled through those who were not Shards. Furthermore, as there was no kill - not even anyone defending themselves that night - the killer had to have been stopped, somehow. Put those facts together and the only ones who could have made the kill were those who had been stopped, and who were not Shards. That left himself, Sir Brockett, and Solemnheart. [OOC: A brief rehash of the facts. There was no mention of a kill attempt and a protection in the write-up, meaning that neither Odium* nor the N2 investee were able to make the kill. This is consistent with several possibilities - a roleblock, them failing to put in the order, or in the case of Odium, there being no one in the Rosharan system C2. I won't dwell on Odium first - that for later. For now, I just want to note we've established that the only potential investees are myself, Axolotl, and Rhino, because the Odite faction kill is actually, in this game, an Investment power, meaning there must be a legitimate investee for there to be a kill.]

Second, of all the likely suspects, Tenth found his gaze returning again and again to Solemnheart. First, it was apparent to him that those of Odium had in fact known that Aurora [OOC: Taupe Gecko] had been protected by the Shard Mercy and had striven both to offer a suitable alternative. Enoras [OOC: Coral Swan] had theorised that Odium's champions had attempted to get Endowment executed in order to prevent Mercy's intervention from being known; Tenth thought that likely, and suspected as well that Odium's champions had been attempting to ensure there was a second viable candidate, should Mercy's powers be necessary to save Aurora. And indeed, so it had turned out. Solemnheart had been the fourth on Endowment, after Aurora had voted to execute Endowment to save herself. [OOC: Pretty sure there needed to be Elims on the Beagle train - I think Swan is right that Mercy's stay of execution was their trump card. They tried to ensure there was another wagon beating the Gecko train but that even if it didn't, there would be a misexe thanks to Mercy. Looking at who's there - Ostrich, me, Rhino, and Gecko. Rhino piled on fourth onto the train, and last.]

He distrusted the immediacy with which Solemnheart had also jumped on Niru Drash's [OOC: Melon Dingo] suspicion of Remy, the then-claimed holder of the Shattered Shard, Prudence. It was reasonable to be wary of a sudden claimant who had also requested for Cultivation to personally contact them (how, Tenth wasn't sure), yet at the same time, Tenth wondered. For surely Prudence, in connecting all, would be a threat, though perhaps not the most significant one. This, of course, assumed that Remy was on the level, and yet Tenth supposed he was. He had kept his vote on Siena Ashao early on, after all. [OOC: Crocodile D1 vote - early voter, stayed on Crocodile.] Solemnheart, too, seemed to continue to paint doubt, even while asserting that Prudence was better off unShattered. [OOC: I'm not hellbent on this one but I do find it odd. Perhaps a bit of gut, but I think what bothers me is the mixed messages - it's very lukewarm. 'Oh this is suss. But oh, repair Prudence I guess.']

Finally, he distrusted Aurora's parting vote on Solemnheart, which Aurora had painted as though she intended to save her life, implying that Solemnheart was of Adonalsium. Something about it felt off - that given how Aurora had presented herself so far, it felt like a misdirection and an attempt to establish distance, rather than an ill-fated attempt at self-preservation. [OOC: I read it a distancing vote. It could be a mislead, but Gecko has generally gone straight.]

It wasn't that it was a hunting nightmaw, but if it wasn't Aurora, then who could it be? Tenth knew he hadn't done it, and he expected that Sir Brockett [OOC: Violet Axolotl] hadn't either. And then there were those small things that didn't add up, along with Aurora's voting pattern. [OOC: Not a smoking gun but too many weird small things, we know it has to be one of us three unless I'm missing something and I think it's less likely to be Axolotl, but also, voting pattern.]

i’m voting on rhino!! they are one of the three players that could’ve been invested by hatey boi, and i trust the other two!!

I've been sort of suspicious of Axolotl for some D1 stuff, but haven't really seen a lot from them since then to make me lean either way. I don't really want to kill them at this point. Rhino doesn't seem to have been super active, but the D2 vote behavior fits with being an elim. It does with Mouse (being an elim) as well. Honestly, I'd expect elim!Mouse to behave the way they have been, just because by taking a leading role in the thread they could mitigate some bad luck by getting a couple of free kills before going down.

55 minutes ago, Quartz Zebra said:

I've been sort of suspicious of Axolotl for some D1 stuff, but haven't really seen a lot from them since then to make me lean either way. I don't really want to kill them at this point. Rhino doesn't seem to have been super active, but the D2 vote behavior fits with being an elim. It does with Mouse (being an elim) as well. Honestly, I'd expect elim!Mouse to behave the way they have been, just because by taking a leading role in the thread they could mitigate some bad luck by getting a couple of free kills before going down.

Can you Elaborate on...

All of this?

So you're voting Rhino, but you think that Azure also fits, but fits better? 

Can you also explain what you find suspicious of Axolotl? because I personally found their D1 play to be pretty townie. 
--
unprompted vote count:

Rhino (5): Violet Axolotl, Charcoal Hyena, Azure Mouse, Onyx Flamingo, Quartz Zebre
Fuschia Ostrich (1): Opal Lion, 

Edited by Opal Lion

I will also vote on Rhino since they are the only one of the non-Shard Shadesmar Eight who I don't have a leaning-village read on. Also, there was a Grandbow up for auction on Nalthis last cycle which could have gone to either Penguin or Swan.

Rhino

I agree that Azure and Rhino could both be elims, but I trust Mouse quite a bit due to conversations in PMs.