Anniversary Game 7/Anonymous Game 9: From Embers, A Flame

Elbereth

They would have told us if someone was attacked and survived, I think. But surely the elims targeted someone for night kill? @Elims, did you try to kill someone? 

It appears that my favourite player, that absolute mane attraction Opal Lion now has a monopoly on PM creation outside of those with items. I for one welcome our new Lion overlord. (Excellent post, by the way, I love the way you keep it light and funny with those smiley faces.)

1 minute ago, Saffron Iguana said:

They would have told us if someone was attacked and survived, I think.

Yes, they do. N1 had someone attacked and survived. I can see no reason Odium would not use their kill, unless they somehow received a minor role that was better? But that doesn't make sense either.

Behold a quotation from the rules.
Bow down before it, you tools.

If a player was attacked but the killer was roleblocked, this is not shown in the writeup. This includes Valor’s roleblock. 

Perhaps the killer was on the Land of Beads,
Since all those on it are roleblocked.
However that option is not our only lead,
Since we have items, Autonomy, Valor's Investee,
Sandmasters, Trappers, and possibly Returned,
Though is impossible since they would have died in the deed.

Just now, Charcoal Hyena said:

Perhaps the killer was on the Land of Beads,

...Shadesmar?
When a place is destroyed, the inhabitants are roleblocked?

7 minutes ago, Saffron Iguana said:

(Excellent post, by the way, I love the way you keep it light and funny with those smiley faces.)

Ahhh flattery will get you-
lots of PMs!

3 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

Shadesmar people (from last cycle): Who was on Shadesmar?

[OOC: Hyena, Iguana, myself, Gorilla, Dingo, Scorpion, Dragonfly, Rhino. Forgot colours ask me when less tired.

Of these, one must be Ruin as Ruin must be on a world to destroy it.

Also hello all from hatoful darude hellstorm world where i am currently the only person.

lonely

i'm mr lonely

i am so lonely

on my own 

;___; ]

Well, considering all my Shadesmar PMs are gone... @Opal Lion, O’ Great Prudence, please grant me PMs with Saffron Iguana, Violet Axolotl, and yourself.

————————————————————————————————————

I fled one broken land to go to another. Though, the scale of destruction between the now non-existent Cognitive Realm and Ashyn was quite far apart. At least there were still bits and pieces of Ashyn left! How unthoughtful of Ruin to not leave anything for us to play with! The best part of murder was being able to play with the persons flappy bits when they were dead... and I assume it’d be the same for a place as grand as the Realm of Thought.

Well, there’s nothing I could really do about this, much to my discontent. What was the point of all this if my great legacy was going to be overshadowed by the destruction of Shadesmar! None will remember me, Niru Drash, when they think back upon these events. They will only remember that Ruin destroyed that place. Would anybody remember... me?

I fell to the cracked ground of Ashyn. And I felt tears roll down my cheeks.

The grief that filled me was shocking. I’d been empty so long, void of any true emotion. Looking at myself, a quote from old Warbreaker himself came to mind,“However, compared to nothing, it seemed infinite.”

Was this what it meant to be human?

————————————————————————————————————

Well that wasn’t originally what I wanted to do with this RP... will Niru fix his insanity? Probably not...

1 minute ago, Melon Dingo said:

None will remember me, Niru Drash, when they think back upon these events. They will only remember that Ruin destroyed that place. Would anybody remember... me?

*meanwhile, elsewhere in the Cosmere* Hey, does anyone remember that person from the Shadesmar? Naruto Dash or something? Fun guy, I wonder whatever happened to them. Anyway, Gecko has survived for far too long. The general mood seems to be that some people may use their items to act on some other suspicions tonight, so we may get more than one elim kill this cycle.   

Gecko's death seems like an inevitability, so I suggest we at least try to do something productive with the cycle.

Magenta Albatross:

I don't feel like I have enough information yet to be able to make a decision about who to execute. If only I could see into the future, like with Atium but much farther. Hmmm... an F tin/A atium twinborn would be able to store up future sight and tap it as intensely as needed, but you'd need a lot of atium to be able to see far enough into the future to get information about who's on Odium's side. Oh yes! Odium! I completely forgot about that for a moment. I'm in favor of starting to search for him and his champions as soon as possible, but I'm not that good at reading people. (OOC: This is true both in character and out of character) Having neutral shards claim seems like too clear of a bad idea for somebody on Odium's side to try to pass as an honest, good suggestion and not in favor of a death penalty for bad ideas, so I don't think I'll vote on that weirdly green kangaroo. 

My response to them last night cycle:

I'm afraid I really do not like this post. It was D1. There is never enough information for D1 lynches. Backing out of trying to engage anyway both ensures the low-information game state is perpetuated, and is a brilliant way to avoid being analysed yourself.

The second part I have emphasised here also makes me feel uncomfortable. Not quite "virtue-signalling", but stating an obvious good thing, and not participating in it at all reminds me of many inexperienced eliminators I've seen historically.

I would be very keen to hear from @Magenta Albatross further, but would also consider them a valid lynch target even on the basis of this post alone.

For now, in the interests of stimulating discussion, Magenta Albatross.

6 minutes ago, Turquoise Gorilla said:

Gecko's death seems like an inevitability, so I suggest we at least try to do something productive with the cycle.

Magenta Albatross:

My response to them last night cycle:

For now, in the interests of stimulating discussion, Magenta Albatross.

I'm not sure that this will provoke useful discussion. I wholeheartedly agree that the D1 vote is important and that not voting is a way for elims to control information. However, I would say that experience and playstyle have a far greater impact on whether a player votes D1. If you look through past games, I'm sure you can find countless instances of villagers posting essentially the same thing as Albatross. It's not really a good excuse, but I don't find it AI either.

Also, could someone fill me in on why there is a super train on Gecko right now? My D1 analysis was focused on the votes on Croc. Also, shouldn't we shift gears to the more recent event of exactly 0 elims kills going through? That should make everyone pretty suspicious of the list of people who were in Shadesmar. I'm going to vote Iguana for now.

42 minutes ago, Quartz Zebra said:

Also, could someone fill me in on why there is a super train on Gecko right now?

[OOC: tldr; Gecko had a suss D1 vote, fled to First of the Sun, and was saved by Mercy D2 as Mercy invested in them N1, and somehow failed to mention this [=something powerfully lynch-affecting] to the Village, as did Mercy. Sure, Gecko could be the most unlucky person in the Cosmere right now. If so, my apologies, you get a meme. But at some point, you have to ask: how many coincidences is too many?

Plus, IMO, given that Gecko is implicated both in D1 voting and D2 voting? As I said, I don't like to execute players for pragmatics but this is a clear case of pragmatics: we need info about Gecko's flip because it will help us shed more light on the events of both days. And I agree with Coral Swan's assessment that Gecko likely tried not to get executed last cycle to hide Mercy's investment, which reflects badly on both Gecko's and Mercy's allegiances. As I said yesterday and I imagine half the thread voting agrees, there is no more interest in trying to mull over Gecko's allegiances. Let's move to the Shadesmar Eight. (As for why they are voting right now when we should be putting pressure on other candidates, beats me.)

My personal assessment of the Shadesmar Eight, based strictly off Shadesmar interactions as I haven't had time to do actual voting analysis or pathwalking: negative gut read on Gorilla but cannot find anything rational for it, Hyena has been helpful, lean slight negative on Rhino, null on Dingo, lean slight negative on Dragonfly, lean null to slight negative on Scorpion, and null to weak positive on Iguana.

Edited to add: I have a lot of negatives but that's generally because a lot of people didn't say much or said things that were a bit weird but nothing that was a screaming alarm or I'd have, logically, voted on them D2 instead.

Edited #2 add: Okay, a bit more - in Gorilla's case, I really can't justify it. It's just gut, and rationally I know Gorilla has been helpful so I would not finger him as an Elim even though something about him sets me off. Sorry Gorilla. For Hyena, helpful and aware of the rules - was technically the inflexion point of the D1 vote, so mildly suss, but giving off Villager vibes otherwise. Rhino is on my cremlist for the same reason as Scorpion, though I'm slightly more positively-minded about Scorpion in relative terms: players who are peripheral and substituting rules/game analysis for suspicions. I get that the rules of the game can be more interesting to players and people should play to their strengths, but it can also be a way of racking up Village brownie points without having to overly-commit to suspicions. Dino has been quiet. Not much of a read off them. Slight negative lean on Dragonfly which admittedly might be paranoia - I think - based off something Dragonfly said that just got a negative gut reaction from me. Iguana, weak positive due to them getting over their Hyena delenda est phase which is a flexibility I don't think an Elim might show due to Hyena's D1 vote]

Edited by Azure Mouse

42 minutes ago, Azure Mouse said:

the Shadesmar Eight

I'd see that Movie. 

Anyways. Being Helpful? couldn't be me. 
But I will say that I don't really want to waste a cycle on voting Gecko. We've done that already, and If Elim!Gecko is on a team with mercy, then we're not going to see much differences, in my opinion. I'd rather someone with a Kill item or Ruin's investee took them out at night. 

Nothing important to anything but I just wanted to share with you all the fact that my dog is a stupidly picky eater and I bought her different food on accident not remembering that she wouldn't eat it so she's been refusing to eat all today and yesterday I want to kill her but she might do it first.

Nothing Like uh like I'm not saying this in like "oh no I can't participate in game sad face" just like my dog is dumb thought I'd share

Edited by Opal Lion

38 minutes ago, Opal Lion said:

I'd see that Movie. 

Anyways. Being Helpful? couldn't be me. 
But I will say that I don't really want to waste a cycle on voting Gecko. We've done that already, and If Elim!Gecko is on a team with mercy, then we're not going to see much differences, in my opinion. I'd rather someone with a Kill item or Ruin's investee took them out at night. 

Nothing important to anything but I just wanted to share with you all the fact that my dog is a stupidly picky eater and I bought her different food on accident not remembering that she wouldn't eat it so she's been refusing to eat all today and yesterday I want to kill her but she might do it first.

Nothing Like uh like I'm not saying this in like "oh no I can't participate in game sad face" just like my dog is dumb thought I'd share

[OOC: So, the thing is: I don't disagree with this assessment entirely in that I think there is no real execution pressure behind votes on any member of the Shadesmar Eight since everybody 'knows' already who is gonna be removed by the end of this Turn - but I also think if Ruin's investee or someone with a kill item could've acted, Gecko would've likely been already dead last night. Either they were roleblocked, or there just isn't such people. Given that a kill could be lethal (yeah wow brilliant deduction Az give us another one) in the wrong hands, Ruin might not necessarily have wanted to be indiscriminate about it. 

Say we're running with: A. Elim!Mercy theory rn, and B. the need to get off a removal no matter what. Ruin did us a solid by stopping the Elim kill, but we need the momentum. 

So we do need a successful removal today, always preferably on an Elim. (Realistically though...) The nice thing is that Mercy can't target the same player twice in a row - if we find out tonight that no one took down Gecko, next cycle could be SSDD again. The downside of course is that our top Shadesmar Eight suspect today might get saved by Mercy again tomorrow, which might be frustrating. I don't for a moment think Elim!Mercy sits and twiddles her thumbs - if we're going Elim!Mercy, then she might swap between the various members of the Elim team. Maybe it's the one making the kill, just in case a target scanner spots them. Or maybe it's the one who attracted the most chatter or did something suss in thread. Regardless... (Of course, now I've said it, she might try to save a Villager in a gambit hoping we'll slay them next, but that comes at a strategic cost for her team.)

I guess my bottom line is just two thoughts: I don't think we can always rely on vig kills doing what we want them to do - there used to be a meta that vig kills could function as a second night removal, but that didn't really take off. Sometimes the vigs disagreed, or somethings there's just no vigs to be had. It happens. Second, whether or not Mercy is an Elim (I lean Elim right now), she's going to be a factor we have to adjust to/work around. Contra Violet Axolotl last night, I think it's a bit hard to avoid a potentially Elim!Mercy causing difficulty with discussion of suspicions either from day, night, or PMs, or world docs, but we can at least make her guess and try to structure removals in a way that our top two candidates are still people we'd rather see removed.

Sorry if I'm incoherent. Insomnia is one hell of a punch to rationality and coherence.

Also, oof your dog, sorry to hear, does this mean you gotta get her something else again? This sounds like exasperated love...

Edited to add:

@little wilson @Elbereth: @Azure Mouse @Turquoise Gorilla @Chartreuse Penguin you're welcome.

Edited to add #2:

One other concern I have is that the Elims might have access to protection. Which should be fairly logical in a game where Ruin is coded heavily Village. Making them burn protection charges isn't a bad thing, but like.]

Edited by Azure Mouse

@little wilson

Since you asked — probably philosophical zombies although really the Cognitive doesn't work quite like that given the known connection to Platonic forms yet also not. Not sure if any of the others I @ ed do work in the Greeks — if they do they might have a better idea of the implications of no forms (maybe like no Kantian noumena?) but I do mind so

So im not saying it's zombies but it's zombies :P You're welcome. 

Ooc somewhere 

okay, so, we’re all really excited to go after gecko and the shadesmar eight, right?? well, i’ve got bad news (or good maybe)!! i was told last turn that axolotl was invested by preservation!! mighty suspicious that it happens right when we’re missing an elim kill and/or a splintering!!

1 minute ago, Onyx Flamingo said:

okay, so, we’re all really excited to go after gecko and the shadesmar eight, right?? well, i’ve got bad news (or good maybe)!! i was told last turn that axolotl was invested by preservation!! mighty suspicious that it happens right when we’re missing an elim kill and/or a splintering!!

wot

so it's suspicious to you

that axolotl

may have

been saved?

Edited by Opal Lion