Dawnshard Theory-- Could Odium have corrupted/booby-trapped a Dawnshard?

Kittalia

This theory has been bouncing around in my head for a few weeks now, mostly revolving around Nikli's insistence that Rysn never become a Radiant and Honor's belief that the Dawnshards are lost to the Knights Radiant. Quotes from Honor:

In the days leading to the Recreance... He raved, speaking of the Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls. Honor promised that Surgebinders would do the same thing to Roshar. (Oathbringer Ch 113)

I wish I could do more. You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And... without the Dawnshards... Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone. (Way of Kings Ch 75)

Assuming that the Dawnshard is mostly nonfunctional in a non-invested host, we have to wonder why the Sleepless didn't want Rysn to access that power and why Honor thought that the power of the Dawnshard was impossible for the Radiants to reach or more dangerous than Odium winning. 

There are lots of reasons I can think of that the Sleepless wouldn't want Rysn to gain power of the Dawnshard-- their mission goes beyond one planet and I could see Rysn's lack of power an acceptable loss. Honor is a little bit harder. I've seen people interpret the quote from Oathbringer as simply not trusting the Knights Radiant, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Why would he support them for years and then in his death throes suddenly flip and decide that the danger of them getting a Dawnshard was greater than the danger of Odium winning? The other quote complicates that further since he isn't talking about the danger of Dawnshards, but suggesting that the Dawnshards are beyond their reach. 

From the information we have, I can see two options: Either Honor's knowledge about the Dawnshards and the KR changed, or something about the Dawnshards themselves changed. If Honor didn't know where the Dawnshard was and thought it was no longer on-world, it could make sense that he believes the Dawnshards are lost to them, but it wouldn't explain why he was convinced that the KR would destroy Roshar with one. Since he already knew that the Dawnshard destroyed Adonalsium and Ashyn, it's hard to believe that there was some bit of knowledge about the Dawnshard's capabilities that would suddenly bump them up to "too dangerous."

It is possible that something changed about the KR leading up to this, but there's no indication as to what. We know that they abandoned their Oaths believing it was the right thing to do, so it wasn't like they were corrupted or less honorable. 

In contrast, it is possible that something changed about the Dawnshard, and Odium's interference seems like the most likely reason. I find it less likely that he corrupted the Dawnshard itself, knowing how powerful it is, and more likely that he somehow set things up so that using the Dawnshard would trigger something Very Bad. 

[Rhythm of War Spoilers]

Spoiler

From Navani's interactions with Raboniel we know that Odium's forces had some knowledge of Fabriel Science and the Tones of Roshar, both of which could possibly be used to detect a Dawnshard's use and make something bad happen. The biggest evidence against this is that Raboniel probably couldn't have done it with her knowledge at the beginning of the book and she seems to be the most knowledgeable Fused. That being said, if Odium was directly involved he may have had more knowledge or ability.

This would explain Honor's sudden belief that the KR couldn't be trusted to use the Dawnshard without destroying Roshar and his statement that without the Dawnshards he had very few tools to help them. It would also give the Sleepless a further reason to not want Rysn or anyone else to have the power to wield the Dawnshard (although they might not even be aware of the trap). I don't think there's enough evidence to say that this is what happened, but a paucity of other explanations for Honor's behavior makes it seem like a strong possibilty. Any other thoughts on possible explanations? Any evidence I've forgotten that contradicts this?

I just assumed that it was because the Dawnshard would enhance other powers to a level that would be too powerful even for a hero.  Not just "absolute power corrupts absolutely" too powerful, but "oops, I just rendered Roshar permanently uninhabitable" too powerful.

Mistborn trilogy spoilers:

Spoiler

Just look at what the Lord Ruler did when he first got his power.  And even Vin caused a lot of trouble in her first couple minutes before she realized the danger.

And given that this particular Dawnshard is "change," that just makes it extra dangerous.  Combining it with, for example, the Surge of Gravitation might mean you could accidentally cause everything in Roshar to fly off into space.  Heck, that quote from Oathbringer kind of implies that a Dawnshard accidentally destroyed Ashyn.

Do we know that CHANGE was the dawnshard the Ashlynite's had? In DS is only says that the CHANGE was brought through Cultivation's perpendicularity in the peaks sometime before the Recreance. Pre-recreance is a huge timeframe. It could be the same one that destroyed Ashlyn and was brought over with the Ashlynite refugees (less than 6,000 years after the Shattering, probably around 4,000). Maybe it was part of the trade for the land in Shinovar (give us the superweapon and we'll give you somewhere to live). It could also be a totally separate dawnshard that was brought over much more recently just before the Recreance (closer to 10,000 years after the shatter or around 2,000 pre-modern Roshar). 

Also it's always dawnshards every time Honor mentions them, so did the Ashlynites have two or more at some point?