Does the article on Surgebinding need a major change?

Oltux72

In light of RoW and Brandon's latest podcast, it looks to me as if the assumption that the Knights Radiant are the main example of Surgebinders needs to be dropped. In fact, Yelig-Nar should also be mentioned. What do you think? Is there a way for me to post a draft for review, like a sandbox?

I assume you mean Brandon's stream, not podcast, there?

The article needs a lot of updates. A lot of information needs to be shuffled around and this is going to be a very tricky article to deal with. Some info needs to be on different pages, etc. If you had a Coppermind account (that has editor rights, which I can give you), you can put a draft on your user page, but this is going to be complicated to deal with. For example, Fused will be mentioned on that page. Divvying up information between Surgebinding, Surges, Knight Radiant, individual order page, Fused, Fused brands, etc., will be pretty nontrivial. It's going to be pretty tricky to deal with. Large magic system articles are challenging. 

However: we will still not use Surgebinding in the "Rosharans call all magic Surgebinding" sort of way for the same reason that Rosharans call everything a spren, but we aren't going to say Shards of Adonalsium are spren. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I assume you mean Brandon's stream, not podcast, there?

Yes, sorry.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

The article needs a lot of updates. A lot of information needs to be shuffled around and this is going to be a very tricky article to deal with.

I have started on it and somebody needs to start.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Some info needs to be on different pages, etc. If you had a Coppermind account (that has editor rights, which I can give you), you can put a draft on your user page, but this is going to be complicated to deal with. For example, Fused will be mentioned on that page.

Yes. That omission triggered me.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Divvying up information between Surgebinding, Surges, Knight Radiant, individual order page, Fused, Fused brands, etc., will be pretty nontrivial. It's going to be pretty tricky to deal with. Large magic system articles are challenging. 

OK. I suggest I make a first draft, cutting the stuff that needs to go to Knight Radiant out, so that we have a clean article specifically about Surgebinding. Splitting this up into clean articles looks most important to me. Do you agree on that?

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

However: we will still not use Surgebinding in the "Rosharans call all magic Surgebinding" sort of way for the same reason that Rosharans call everything a spren, but we aren't going to say Shards of Adonalsium are spren. 

Yes. Looking through this article and thinking about what we really know as opposed to conclude is surprising. And there are almost no WOBs on the new stuff.