Make your Shards

Aspiring Writer

I've been talking a walk through memory land, and decided to make this thread. If you could split yourself into 16 shards, what would they be? (Pretty sure I saw a similar thread like this, but screw it.) They can be literally anything. Has to be sixteen of them though. Also feel free to tell us the Shards' intent and/or unique abilities, like autonomy constantly making avatars of themselves. 

I will post my own list once I actually spend more than five minutes thinking about it.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

It's interesting how when you take apart a normal person you get similar Intents to the ones we have seen, such as the fact that pretty much everyone has an Honor shard.

Eradication, a dark Shard similar to Ruin with the same representative color. Eradication's goal is to kill everyone and destroy everything, starting with the other Shards. Eradication is a combination of Ruin and Odium. Color: black.

Curiosity/Knowledge, a lighter Shard, with the only goal of seeking knowledge. This Shard only wishes to find knowledge for itself, and to give knowledge to others, however that generally takes a backseat. Color: white

Adherence/Honor, probably closer to how Honor was as he was dying than how he was originally, which I'm guessing is closer to his true Intent. Honor would likely be focused on upholding a code made by mortals. Color:  blue

Independence, likely similar to Autonomy, but more focused on good and morals. Independence would probably have avatars like Autonomy. Independence and Adherence are opposites.

I'll have more later, also, this is so you don't have to double post.

Hmm. I doubt I'll get to 16 but

Curiosity- Wanting to investigate everything, and figure stuff out. Magic system could be very study-based, traditional wizardry.

Imagination/Wonder- Creativity, basically. Wanting to create new things, and new worlds. The part of me that's always been drawn to mythology and fantasy. Magic system could be based in dreams and imagination somehow- you can enter them, do stuff there, and have it apply to real life somehow maybe?

Vengeance- This is kind of like odium I guess, but more active. Wanting to do something when you or others have been wronged. The magic system could be ghost based. When someone dies, if they have unfinished business, they can take a still-living human as a host and the two work together to complete that business, and the human is granted powers somehow. A lot like Spren-bonds

Compassion- I think this is my closest to Honor, cause personally I've never been huge on honor. But just, being nice to people. Making sure everyone has everything they need, and if not, helping them get there. No idea about the magic system

Assimilation/Favor- Wanting to be liked by everyone, and wanting to fit in. Magic system could reward fame somehow?

Defiance- Wanting to go against the grain in general, but especially when you think a rule is Wrong. Again, no idea about the magic system.

Loyalty- Sticking with people, especially people who have been through a lot with you and you with them. Ooh I actually have a cool idea for the system here, one I'm using in a book. Where basically, people Bond and can share traits. Like, if one of us needs extra strength, I can grow weaker to make them stronger. Kind of like feruchemy; more instantaneous, but more limited in that the strength can never go beyond the collective.

That's all I have for now. I'll add more if and when I think of them

• 2 weeks later...

Conviction - Unwillingness to compromise on principles/values/morality, sometimes close-minded, strong sense of right and wrong (one which doesn't necessarily make sense), cares deeply even though it causes pain, wanting to do what is right, no breaking rules.  Endurance/protection magic (make the walls as firm as our resolve).  Color:  White.

Misoneism/Continuity -  "the world is like a wonderful statue - Nothing anyone can possibly do can improve it, but there are a million ways to damage it.  The things that exist are irreplaceable, so innovation and change are to be abhorred."  Very much like preservation, except with less respect for individual agency.  Darkness based magic (because light makes things fade, and light moves, and Darkness was first).  Color:  Black.

Kinship - Devotion to family, respect/love of ancestors, sense of community.  Just as Honor still applies in your dealings with the dishonorable, Kinship would mean trying to be kind, empathetic, or finding a way to relate to those who are different (who you have no relation to), or, in other words, "adopting" them into the group of people you care about (your "kin), or adding their history to the ones you know ("Adopting" their ancestors).  In the one sense, being kind and empathetic- in the other sense, assimilating others and removing their independence (defining them by your people's ways).  Fire-based magic (the hearth of home, and hospitality).  Color:  Warm yellowish red/orange.

In alphabetical order for bonus points...

Apathy: "Why should I do any work if it's just meaningless in the end, the universe will run out of energy and we'll all be dead."

Betrayal: "You can't trust anyone in the world. Sooner or later, someone will stab you in the back and take what they want from what's left of you."

Cowardice: "If I mess up... Everyone is going to laugh at me. I shouldn't try anything new, since I'll have no idea what I'm doing."

Destruction: "Everything comes to an end someday. Why not make that day today?"

Empathy: "I find purpose in helping others find happiness. I have to help my friends..."

Frustration: "This stupid world is so unfair and broken. I wish I could just rewrite it myself."

Generosity: "Here, you take it. I don't need this. You'd get more use out of it than me."

Hope: "Someday, somehow, things will turn out okay. I know it will. I'll MAKE it turn out okay if I must."

Idealism: "If we work together, we can make the world better, one step at a time."

Justification: "I'll do it for the greater good. Even if they don't like it, it's for the greater good. They'll thank me one day."

Knowledge: "This is how these things work. Always. It's just the laws of the Cosmere."

Leadership: "If you guys work with me, I know how we can get this stuff done. Will you trust me?"

Malignancy: "I'll kill you in the most entertaining way possible. And I'll love every soul I extinguish. Die for my amusement."

Novelty: "I want to see something new, even if I have to come up with it myself."

Obedience: "I'll do as I'm told. Otherwise someone will hurt me."

Precision: "Do it and do it perfectly, or else you're not good enough for the world."

*Laughing manihcally*

1. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  2. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  3. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  4. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  5. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  6. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  7. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  8. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  9. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  10. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  11. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  12. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  13. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  14. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  15. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.
  16. Frustration: The ultimate motivatior, destroyer or maker of Mankind.

I'll explain the ones I think aren't necessarily clear what they represent but I'm too lazy to actually do that for all of them.

Wit - Basically divine sense of humor and trickery

Wonder/Curiousity

Whimsy

Mystery

Apocalypse - Divine wrath/judgement

Ecstasy

Anguish

Autonomy

Cultivation

Depravity

Foresight

Destiny