[ROW Spoiler question] Who all can accept Oaths??

athosdebro86

1 hour ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.  It seems as though Odium--either on purpose or by accident--invested in Roshar, and I think it'd be really cool to see Knights Radiant of Odium.

We have, right? The Fused. Similar but different to Knights Radiant: powered by Voidlight; one Surge instead of two; one soul instead of two.

Odium doesn't strike me as the type to bind with Oaths the same way Honor did. That was all to control the power of Surgebinding, right? Odium doesn't care about that, probably even wants the opposite.

Then there's whatever's going on with Vyre. Rayse gave him an Honorblade rather than granting a Surge or two, despite their deepening Connection. He's also not making any more Fused, since BAM messed it all up for him.

On 20/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, Honorless said:

Honor's ethics were already in doubt with the god switch between human and Singers, the Heralds' Oathpact, how many Desolations the Rosharans had to go through while Honor and Cultivation effectively lied to them, he might not have been a bad dude, but he was clearly far from perfect

One thing I've liked about the Shards is how none of the Intents are absolute good or evil, and the Vessels have a significant influence. I mean, Ruin and Preservation are literally black and white and one is obviously more sympathetic than the other, but it's clear that the best outcome is the balance between the two, and total victory for either is not desirable.

I think this applies to all three Rosharan Shards too. Honor's good, right? He's the God of the good guys. He's about obeying rules, keeping your word, protecting. Cultivation's good, right? She's about growth, progression, change. But obeying rules to a fault isn't big-R Right (looking at Nale and Szeth). Unfeeling adherence can be outright evil. Change for the sake of change can be damaging, intrusive, lethal.

And the same must apply to Odium - we have seen some redeeming qualities in the Passions and the culture of the Fused. He took away Vyre's anguish - perhaps it's not the best path in terms of therapy, or the most deserving subject, but as a power or an act in and of itself it is benevolent.

The aspect of God's hatred is a thing for a reason - it speaks of just retribution, or the quelling of evil. I think there's scope for TOdium to work with that.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2021 at 3:04 PM, ElMonoEstupendo said:

We have, right? The Fused. Similar but different to Knights Radiant: powered by Voidlight; one Surge instead of two; one soul instead of two.

They’re a corruption of the existing magic system rather than Odium being a natural part of it or having his own, I think, hence to red eyes. I could be wrong, but I suspect Odium’s true magic system on Roshar is still developing and hasn’t revealed itself. 

On 12/05/2021 at 9:04 PM, ElMonoEstupendo said:

They're Surgebinders and not Voidbinders so they don't count

One thing I've liked about the Shards is how none of the Intents are absolute good or evil, and the Vessels have a significant influence. I mean, Ruin and Preservation are literally black and white and one is obviously more sympathetic than the other, but it's clear that the best outcome is the balance between the two, and total victory for either is not desirable.

They're not black and white they're blue and orange.