Very Old, and Very New

• 4 months later...

Good Evening!

I have not visited since December, because I have been busy trying to retire, and juggle the various nonprofits that I volunteer for.

Thank You Bearer, Aspiring, Honorless, Aon Tia and Cynical for the welcomes!

As for being a Sanderson fan, well...

My last name is Fisk.  My elder son, Carl, is a serious Sanderson fan.  Mr. Sanderson is his favorite author (And Carl reads a LOT!)

Growing up, Carl always wanted to be a marine biologist, UNTIL he discovered acting in 10th Grade, which activity he continued, attending college (Syracuse University) for acting and producing.

After graduation, he auditioned for and was accepted in a History Channel production called KNIGHT FIGHT, where the contestants put on 70+ pounds of REAL armor and beat up on each other with REAL swords, axes, maces and such; the last man standing wins $$$.   Carl became interested in the sport, bought himself a suit of armor and some weapons, and he has been fighting (as time and money allow) ever since.

Last year, Carl attended an exposition for Sanderson-type activities, and he took along his armor and weapons and did some fighting exhibitions with other combatants.  Later, he waited in line to meet Mr. Sanderson, and when they did meet, Carl mentioned that he was one of the fighters.  Mr. Sanderson was VERY interested in the armored combat that he had seen, and he asked Carl about the equipment and about various fighting techniques.

Carl made arrangements to borrow another room at the venue, and he and some other fighters put on a private demonstration for Mr. Sanderson, afterwards going over their equipment with him and answering some Very Good questions that he had.

At the end of it, Carl asked Mr. Sanderson if he would do him the honor of naming his sword for him and autographing it.  Mr. Sanderson very graciously complied, naming Carl's sword "Loremaker", and writing the name on one side of the sword, and signing it on the other side.  (Later, Carl's girlfriend Cait took the sword and had its new name and Mr. Sanderson's signature permanently engraved in the sword, which I think is a "falchion").

Mr. Sanderson ALSO did Carl the GREAT honor of naming one of the minor characters in one of his books 'Fisk', after Carl.  

Neat, Huh?

For the back-story of my son and his introduction to Armored Combat, check out the old History Channel episode on YouTube:  "KNIGHT FIGHT, Episode 5 (Knights Templar)"

NOTE:  Carl has found out that MANY Middle East combat veterans are suffering from PTSD, and an average of 18 of them commit suicide EACH DAY.  Some veterans that he fights with (and against) have told him that Armored Combat helps them- A LOT -to cope with the PTSD, indeed, at least one of his friends has told Carl that he would have killed himself by now if he had not discovered the sport.    SO Carl decided to do something about it.  He recruited some cinematographers from Hollywood, and they are putting together a movie about Armored Combat and PTSD, to 1) inform the general public of the seriousness of the PTSD problem, and  2) inform the Veterans, their families and their friends about this activity that can help save veterans' lives.  The movie is in pre-production,  Check out its website:  STEELSOLDIERDOC.COM, and AT LEAST watch the 'sizzle', which tells about the movie and shows the quality of the team that he has put together.  (BTW:  The narrator says at the beginning of the sizzle that 19 of his friends had committed suicide; in only a few months, that number is up to 30.)

That's My Boy!!  (Below:  Carl, with Loremaker)

6088be28a6975_CarlandLoremaker.thumb.png.8c317157f73959cc1195b87628e3f4d4.png

And a short video of FISK fighting (see the knight in the pointy-top helmet?  FISK is the OTHER one!)

Carl's video.wmv

Edited by Fisk's Father (really!)
Added picture Second edit: added .wmv video