D&D with Null

Negative_Null

4 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

"Hospitality." he says simply.

So, Wola is currently very suspicious of the rangers; she suspects that they might be exploiting/controlling the villages somehow. Should I roll a new insight check to see if I get any information on that, or will the old one carry over?

1 minute ago, Rushu42 said:

So, Wola is currently very suspicious of the rangers; she suspects that they might be exploiting/controlling the villages somehow. Should I roll a new insight check to see if I get any information on that, or will the old one carry over?

As she should be. The old insight check lets you be rather certain they're lying and not telling you everything. If you want more specific details, yeah, new check.

2 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

As she should be. The old insight check lets you be rather certain they're lying and not telling you everything. If you want more specific details, yeah, new check.

Ah, too bad - I was hoping the 19 I rolled earlier could get another use. I got a total of 15 this time.

The bartender is even more anxious now, and keep shooting glances at your table, especially the two rangers. Caira may or may not have expressly intimidated him, but she certainly didn't allay his concerns. In fact, no one in the tavern is looking at your table, and the normally jovial sounds of men off work are much quieter than when you came in.

21 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

The bartender is even more anxious now, and keep shooting glances at your table, especially the two rangers. Caira may or may not have expressly intimidated him, but she certainly didn't allay his concerns. In fact, no one in the tavern is looking at your table, and the normally jovial sounds of men off work are much quieter than when you came in.

Wola looks around the room, taking in the strained atmosphere. "Right. Yes. This conversation is truly riveting, and I would be delighted to continue it. However, I'm suddenly feeling extremely dehydrated. My throat has become dry from all of the travelling I've been doing. Yes. And because of . . . how excited I am to be of assistance with your monster problem, of course. Excitement is often a contributor to a sudden need for liquid refreshment, yes? I am going to go and place a request for a beverage, and you can continue to explain the situation to Mr. Usavi exactly as you had been before. Indeed."

As she blunders through this speech, Kodwola carefully stands and begins to slowly edge backwards toward the bar.

In case you couldn't tell from that performance, I rolled a 4, for a total of 2, on a deception roll.

Edited by Rushu42

3 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

Both men are very surprised. There's a tall half-elf standing over the desk of a dwarf, who must be the mayor.

The mayor looks at him and says "Who are you?"

"I, am your savior. You need something done, no? I can do it. Be it slaying monsters or simply transporting something." "but, if you want a name, I am called Hornraven. Lander Hornraven. I think you may have heard of me."

On 1/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, Rushu42 said:

Wola looks around the room, taking in the strained atmosphere. "Right. Yes. This conversation is truly riveting, and I would be delighted to continue it. However, I'm suddenly feeling extremely dehydrated. My throat has become dry from all of the travelling I've been doing. Yes. And because of . . . how excited I am to be of assistance with your monster problem, of course. Excitement is often a contributor to a sudden need for liquid refreshment, yes? I am going to go and place a request for a beverage, and you can continue to explain the situation to Mr. Usavi exactly as you had been before. Indeed."

As she blunders through this speech, Kodwola carefully stands and begins to slowly edge backwards toward the bar.

In case you couldn't tell from that performance, I rolled a 4, for a total of 2, on a deception roll.

"No, no, sit back down, I insist. I'll get you a drink if that's what you need. Just what we need to talk... business."

Maybe I should have expected you to figure out these guys were sketchy this fast, but I thought we'd at least get out of town first :P 

23 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

"I, am your savior. You need something done, no? I can do it. Be it slaying monsters or simply transporting something." "but, if you want a name, I am called Hornraven. Lander Hornraven. I think you may have heard of me."

"Uh, no. No I haven't heard of you. Crazy adventurers."

Edited by Negative_Null

1 hour ago, Negative_Null said:

"No, no, sit back down, I insist. I'll get you a drink if that's what you need. Just what we need to talk... business."

"I happen to be a highly influential noble, but that is okay if you are not well versed in the world of politics. Anyway, what do you need done? I assure you, I can do it better than this fellow" Lander gestures to the other man

10 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

Maybe I should have expected you to figure out these guys were sketchy this fast, but I thought we'd at least get out of town first :P 

Ha sorry :P

10 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

"Ah, I'm not sure that - perhaps we may discuss your, um, business another time? When I...um... am not so wearied from my travels, yes? I believe that would be...better for all involved if we were given some time to recuperate in this, ah, lovely establishment, yes?"

She meets Usavi's eyes, desperately trying to wordless communicate her suspicions.

@AmazingGoob

Wow, it's a lot harder to communicate awkwardness just over text. I gave it my best, though.

2 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"Ah, I'm not sure that - perhaps we may discuss your, um, business another time? When I...um... am not so wearied from my travels, yes? I believe that would be...better for all involved if we were given some time to recuperate in this, ah, lovely establishment, yes?"

She meets Usavi's eyes, desperately trying to wordless communicate her suspicions.

@AmazingGoob

Usavi frowns ever so slightly, glances at the two and looks back at Wola, before going back to neutral. He is gripping his sword tighter, however...

13 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

I don't think my character would be able to tell that they were sketchy. She would be too used to the sketchiness. I mean, she IS part of the criminal underworld.

11 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

"I happen to be a highly influential noble, but that is okay if you are not well versed in the world of politics. Anyway, what do you need done? I assure you, I can do it better than this fellow" Lander gestures to the other man

Nala waited, and watched people go by. She decided to be productive, and start pick-pocketing. 

I rolled a 14, so my total is 18. (I need money for rations...).

Edited by Random Bystander

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Well, you got plenty of awkwardness across, don't worry :P 

"No, no, I-"

"Eben" Caira cuts him off and gives him a meaningful look.

"Fine. We'll have to reconvene later so we can talk about the job you're helping us with. Tomorrow at around 9:00? We'd like to leave town around midday."

Edited by Negative_Null
Whoops, sorry, forgot about the two others I'm supposed to be doing stuff with. Quick, someone post so I can help them out!

10 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

"No, no, I-"

"Fine. We'll have to reconvene later so we can talk about the job you're helping us with. Tomorrow at around 9:00? We'd like to leave town around midday."

He's right. Your person sounded uncomfortable.

13 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

The other man scoffs at that. "You think you're important enough to just waltz in here and take over a meeting between Mayor Nightburn and I?"

Roll deception

2 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

Nala waited, and watched people go by. She decided to be productive, and start pick-pocketing. 

I rolled a 14, so my total is 18. (I need money for rations...).

A member of the town guard notices you skulking in the alleyway, eying the various passersby. "Oi, you. What are you doing there?"

Well, I suppose it just comes naturally :P

14 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

"No, no, I-"

"Yes! Yes, a later reconvention is perfect. I shall await the ninth hour with, ah, eagerness." About halfway to the bar at this point, Wola stops moving and just stands in place, hoping that the rangers are about to leave.

Just now, Negative_Null said:

The other man scoffs at that. "You think you're important enough to just waltz in here and take over a meeting between Mayor Nightburn and I?"

Roll deception

A member of the town guard notices you skulking in the alleyway, eying the various passersby. "Oi, you. What are you doing there?"

"Standing. Last I checked that wasn't a crime." I glare at the man

9 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

Roll deception

"Hah, of course I am. I am just about the most important person east of here!" Lander pulls out his signet ring and shows them.

...I got a 24 on deception. My character is VERY good at deception. (I got a 16 on dice, and with a +3 in charisma, a x2 modifier on deception for charisma score only, and +2 proficiency to equal +8 modifier)

21 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

"Hah, of course I am. I am just about the most important person east of here!" Lander pulls out his signet ring and shows them.

...I got a 24 on deception. My character is VERY good at deception. (I got a 16 on dice, and with a +3 in charisma, a x2 modifier on deception for charisma score only, and +2 proficiency to equal +8 modifier)

Oh my gosh, I get the feeling this is going to go badly :lol:

"Well, um..." the other man is completely taken aback. Nightburn nods, as if this is everyday news for him. "And what brings you out here, Lord Lander?"

33 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

"Standing. Last I checked that wasn't a crime." I glare at the man

"I'm supposed to be looking out for suspicious persons, and I haven't seen you around before."

3 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

Well, um..." the other man is completely taken aback. Nightburn nods, as if this is everyday news for him. "And what brings you out here, Lord Lander

"Money, My travels, Knowledge, the like. Now, will you take my help or not?"

"Well, um..." the other man is completely taken aback. Nightburn nods, as if this is everyday news for him. "And what brings you out here, Lord Lander?"

"I'm supposed to be looking out for suspicious persons, and I haven't seen you around before."

I raise my eyebrow. "And you think me standing here, waiting for someone is suspicious?" I say dryly.

5 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Are the rangers leaving? (Sorry for the ping, just thought you might have missed my post.)

The rangers aren't leaving yet, now they turn their attention to Usavi. "And what about you, my friend?"

4 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

"Money, My travels, Knowledge, the like. Now, will you take my help or not?"

"Um, I'm sure we would love your help, although I don't know how we deserve it."

1 minute ago, Random Bystander said:

I raise my eyebrow. "And you think me standing here, waiting for someone is suspicious?" I say dryly.

"I don't know, girl, you're making me suspicious." 

He got a 21 Insight check, so he can tell you don't have the best intentions, but he can't quite define why. I figured this was better than you just getting arrested, but... \_(o.o)_/

The rangers aren't leaving yet, now they turn their attention to Usavi. "And what about you, my friend?"

Kodwola watches them for a moment, nervousness abating as the rangers shift their gaze. Then she turns and heads to the bar, climbing up a chair so she can whisper to the barkeeper. "Listen, I don't know what Mr. Eben just said to you, but I apologize for inadvertently exposing your concerns. It's now relatively obvious that those two 'adventurers' over there are not all that they wish to seem. I would be very grateful if you would be willing to tell me what their true function in this town is. I shall do my best, as an adventurer myself, to shield you from the negative repercussions of such."

Do you need persuasion? If so, I rolled a 9.